Author Topic: AMX Tube Products  (Read 678829 times)

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: AMX Tube Products
« Reply #4860 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 11:26 AM »
Hi Boss Andrew.  Sent you a personal message regarding a repair and general query about my forte KT88 amp.

Thanks.

Offline AMXTube

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4861 on: Aug 05, 2009 at 08:12 PM »
Hi Boss Andrew.  Sent you a personal message regarding a repair and general query about my forte KT88 amp.

Thanks.
That was a long post. Actually Hifi audio is a little too complicated. There are just so many factors that come into the chain of sound. From the recording session (which you have no control of, other than choosing what to play or not) to the acoustics of your listening room.
As long as our goal is the music and how it ministers to us then we are in the right track. When one starts focusing too much on the hardware then in my opinion there is a possibility that one may get side tracked. Its like the old song, "the day the music died".
There is a limit to what can be attained in hifi reproduction. But i believe that the major contributor to ones musical ecstasy is the recording process. Many recordings are made in multi-track machines today. This is great for editing and making a mixdown, but the mix may not include the natural air of the studio as most instruments use close miking methods and often times recorded in different isolated chambers and are acoustically highly damped. What this does is it removes the natural atmosphere of a live performance. We must remember that one can ( reverberation and sound decays etc) actually hear the recorded atmosphere of the auditorium. In a live performance everything is mixed in the atmosphere of the auditorium. So then playing  back multi-track recording could sound quite artificial, compressed and highly processed. If you have trained ears (live music listening) then you sense the problem and sooner than later no matter what set up you have you become dissatisfied and most often we tend to focus on the setup but the fault is with the recordings we are listening to. The first thing I believe is we must choose the recordings well. A bad one, a highly processed recording will seldom sound natural to the trained ear. Many old recordings where done properly but sad to say today we rely too much on digital techniques of cut, copy and paste so the sound looses the integrity. I am convinced that a properly recorded live performance (and all musical performances are done live, studio or concert hall) will always sound great even in ordinary and simple hifi setups, and one could really enjoy the music, equipment notwithstanding. Heard any good recordings lately? I enjoy best the live onstage performances, to me its more natural than the edited ones. It could have some instruments go out of tune or out of sync, you could hear some coughing even, but that what makes it natural.
driven by a passion for music

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4862 on: Aug 13, 2009 at 06:23 AM »
Hi boss.  My father-in-law just dropped off his KT88 amp at Kinetic yesterday.  He's asking what would be the turnaround time for the recommended general check up.  He's hoping he can pick it up by Saturday, since that's the only operational amp he has.

BTW, some questions from my father-in -law:

1) Do you have a tubed phone stage? How much if ever? 
2) Can you repair an old SS Sansui receiver?

Thanks!

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4863 on: Aug 18, 2009 at 03:02 AM »
Design simulations on my software gives about 50 watts output RMS. The thing is, it has very low output impedance unlike other tubes. this gives it a lot of drive to overcome loudspeaker reactances. Have you heard of SV572-3 power triodes? A pair of that tube in push pull config can deliver over 100 watts RMS. Maybe that is what is more apt to this low efficiency speakers. SV572 triodes are made Svetlana WInged C and much touted by Eric Barbour. But remember that all low efficiency loudspeakers suffer from power compression. The more power you drive it with, the hotter the voice coil gets, ergo increase in impedance follows, then lower current into the voice coil which translates to lower power to the loudspeaker thus weaker output. FYI

would this conclude that low sensitivity speakers are not ideal for tube amp and best left with ss amps? sorry for the newbie question, this is just how I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong. I want to learn about tube amps and  if this is for me.
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline jetro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4864 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM »
I have a PM for you Sir Andrew... a lengthy one :)

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4865 on: Aug 22, 2009 at 08:09 PM »

New AMX Minima Push-Pull(EL34).

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4866 on: Aug 23, 2009 at 08:10 AM »
Boss, sent you a PM and an email regarding the KT88 amp I'm sending over for service today.  It's mine and not the KT88 of my father-in-law that was recently repaired.  Thanks for that, btw.

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #4867 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 09:25 AM »
Hi Guys!

I know it may have been posted here somewhere...But can anyone of you please indicate the contact number/s of Kinetic/Phasetron in Robinson's?? Thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline blue_123

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • smell the flowers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #4868 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 12:36 PM »
Hi Guys!

I know it may have been posted here somewhere...But can anyone of you please indicate the contact number/s of Kinetic/Phasetron in Robinson's?? Thanks!

Pls try 710-3432.

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4869 on: Sep 06, 2009 at 06:00 AM »
Boss sent you PM but don't think you've read it yet.  ANyways, can my KT88 forte amp take 6550 tubes? 

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
AMX Tube Dissipation settings
« Reply #4870 on: Sep 09, 2009 at 09:23 AM »
HI boss Andrew.  Haven't gotten  a reply yet on my PM.  Hope you don't mind if I post a more detailed question here:

I'm looking to change my 4 x KT88 tube complement with 4 x 6550 Tung Sol reissues.  I'd like to know if the Tung Sol reissues are drop in replacements for the Forte amp, which is 70wpc I think.

The guy who I'm dealing with in the states (Jim McShane, nice tube guy who refurbs HK Citation amps) says that the Tung Sol reissues were modeled after a 6550 variant which has only 35 watts dissipation, vs 46 watt dissipation for the 6550A and 6550C models, both of which can be drop in KT88 replacements.

Any suggestions?  
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2009 at 09:28 AM by muypogi »

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4871 on: Sep 12, 2009 at 06:19 AM »
Just to update, I decided to go with a quad of SED Winged C 6550C tubes. Reviews on the internet show it's the best value for sound quality and durability. Also, my tube seller recommended it for bass, next to the more expensive Gold Lion reissue. Boss Andrew noted that the Tung Sol may not like being in a KT88 amp.

Hoping this solves my bass problem. . . 

Offline bz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4872 on: Sep 19, 2009 at 01:30 PM »
Andrew thanks for the refurbishing and complete check up and repair of my Pioneer tube receiver. So is the analog tuner. The pioneer tube reciever has a verty good sound but a different vintage sound. The phono section is also superb. It makes me wonder why they leave the tubes in the sixties. thanks again. My problem now is too many vintage amps and speakers in the house. Planning to sell them. I think I am about to cry.

Offline AMXTube

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4873 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 04:25 PM »
Sorry,
I have not visited this site for quite sometime. Been quite busy with other agendas.  Anyway we will have a lowdown sale on tube amp inventory stocks this Nov 15. Visit us at Pioneer Robinsons. See you there.
driven by a passion for music

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #4874 on: Nov 15, 2009 at 04:16 AM »
Sorry,
I have not visited this site for quite sometime. Been quite busy with other agendas.  Anyway we will have a lowdown sale on tube amp inventory stocks this Nov 15. Visit us at Pioneer Robinsons. See you there.

hi sir andrew good to see you active on your thread! kasama ba ang tubes sa sale?

thanks!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4875 on: Nov 16, 2009 at 08:54 AM »
That was a long post. Actually Hifi audio is a little too complicated. There are just so many factors that come into the chain of sound. From the recording session (which you have no control of, other than choosing what to play or not) to the acoustics of your listening room.
As long as our goal is the music and how it ministers to us then we are in the right track. When one starts focusing too much on the hardware then in my opinion there is a possibility that one may get side tracked. Its like the old song, "the day the music died".
There is a limit to what can be attained in hifi reproduction. But i believe that the major contributor to ones musical ecstasy is the recording process. Many recordings are made in multi-track machines today. This is great for editing and making a mixdown, but the mix may not include the natural air of the studio as most instruments use close miking methods and often times recorded in different isolated chambers and are acoustically highly damped. What this does is it removes the natural atmosphere of a live performance. We must remember that one can ( reverberation and sound decays etc) actually hear the recorded atmosphere of the auditorium. In a live performance everything is mixed in the atmosphere of the auditorium. So then playing  back multi-track recording could sound quite artificial, compressed and highly processed. If you have trained ears (live music listening) then you sense the problem and sooner than later no matter what set up you have you become dissatisfied and most often we tend to focus on the setup but the fault is with the recordings we are listening to. The first thing I believe is we must choose the recordings well. A bad one, a highly processed recording will seldom sound natural to the trained ear. Many old recordings where done properly but sad to say today we rely too much on digital techniques of cut, copy and paste so the sound looses the integrity. I am convinced that a properly recorded live performance (and all musical performances are done live, studio or concert hall) will always sound great even in ordinary and simple hifi setups, and one could really enjoy the music, equipment notwithstanding. Heard any good recordings lately? I enjoy best the live onstage performances, to me its more natural than the edited ones. It could have some instruments go out of tune or out of sync, you could hear some coughing even, but that what makes it natural.

words of wisdom indeed! ;D and may i add....do not get obssesed with cables and interconnects...and get a good set of speakers.... ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2009 at 08:56 AM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #4876 on: Nov 16, 2009 at 10:44 AM »
+100.....Just get a good set of cables and ICs (notheing exotic and expensive) ---- You have the works of CAL for both IC and speaker cables....that's it.

Then work on the speakers and components.

Enjoy and do not spend too much.

words of wisdom indeed! ;D and may i add....do not get obssesed with cables and interconnects...and get a good set of speakers.... ;D

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #4877 on: Nov 16, 2009 at 02:09 PM »
mas maswerte pa nga nga kung tutuusin ang mga may inosenteng tenga e, iwas malaking gastos. ito rin ang napapansin ko sa mga nababasa ko sa forums na para bang sobrang technical na at dahil sa husay ng mga sinasabi, tuloy ang mga newbies ay natatangay at napapagastos. kanya-kanyang choice/s at lalim ng bulsa yan pero ang tanong, ano ba ang hanap mo na magpapasaya syo?

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4878 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 10:24 PM »
Get a good pair of loudspeakers, a nice player and a decent amp.  Avoid Too Good To Be True electronics otherwise you will end up placing it on the Buy & Sell Section of PDVD or WS after few weeks or months.  In the end, gumugulo isipan mo, bili ka ng bili at palit ka ng palit ng gears, sayang ang pera.  I would suggest, go customize and put your own trademark to your electronics or, save your cash and buy one time and you will be safe & happy. :)

mas maswerte pa nga nga kung tutuusin ang mga may inosenteng tenga e, iwas malaking gastos. ito rin ang napapansin ko sa mga nababasa ko sa forums na para bang sobrang technical na at dahil sa husay ng mga sinasabi, tuloy ang mga newbies ay natatangay at napapagastos. kanya-kanyang choice/s at lalim ng bulsa yan pero ang tanong, ano ba ang hanap mo na magpapasaya syo?
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #4879 on: Nov 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM »
Ito ba ang karangyaan sa pamumuhay
Malaking bahay, Magarang kotse, Maraming Pera
Magandang asawa, May mga anak, May mga damit
Masarap na pagkain sikat na sikat kasi may pangalan
Pero nakalimutan ang diyos :)

o.t.
madam mj, hindi naman sa nakalimutan ang Diyos. naniniwala po ako na sa kontexto po ng audio/video hobby ang nabanggit ni sir praktikal. may tinatawag po kasing - search for personal "audio nirvana" ang mga hobbyists/audiophiles and audiofools ;D

assalaamalaikum :)

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4880 on: Nov 21, 2009 at 07:03 PM »
Parang sa Fatal Response...The last time I've heard those lines were more than 20 years ago.  Wala ba nung "Inosente Lang Ang Nagtataka *lolz*  :D

Ito ba ang karangyaan sa pamumuhay
Malaking bahay, Magarang kotse, Maraming Pera
Magandang asawa, May mga anak, May mga damit
Masarap na pagkain sikat na sikat kasi may pangalan
Pero nakalimutan ang diyos :)
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2009 at 07:17 PM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4881 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 07:31 AM »
O.T din: You still remember the days of Brave New World on Rock of Manila...Cool  :)

O.T-Oops, wala po akong gustong tapakan o saktan ang damdamin, bigla lang pumasok sa isip ko yung kanta ng Wuds nung mabasa ko yung huling linya dun sa post ni Sir Praktikal. SORRY SORRY  ;). Inosente Lang Ang Nagtataka? meron rin po ako nito pero nasa TDK lang.

Good day Sir Rene, ika nga ni Dante David (R.I.P)-isang nagbabagang linggo ng umaga, gising na Arrrrrrrjay na.
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4882 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 07:34 AM »
Sir Andrew,

How's the Maestro, can it be ready for pickup early next month with the mods done?

Just send me a note on my email. Thanks :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline docsialu

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • with no power, comes no responsibility
  • Liked:
« Reply #4883 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 01:01 PM »
sir andrew, sent u pm, ty

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #4884 on: Dec 16, 2009 at 05:27 AM »
i wonder what's new with kinetic for 2010 ;D
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4885 on: Dec 18, 2009 at 09:28 AM »
Get a good pair of loudspeakers, a nice player and a decent amp.  Avoid Too Good To Be True electronics otherwise you will end up placing it on the Buy & Sell Section of PDVD or WS after few weeks or months.  In the end, gumugulo isipan mo, bili ka ng bili at palit ka ng palit ng gears, sayang ang pera.  I would suggest, go customize and put your own trademark to your electronics or, save your cash and buy one time and you will be safe & happy. :)

i wonder what's new with kinetic for 2010 ;D
The last time I went there there, I listened to some speakers that he was experimenting on (I don't know if it's done). How does it sound? You can hear them but you can't pinpoint which one is playing. They are there for you to guess which. Nagtatago yata ....hahaha.
They have a band also always on call for your  request and are ready to play the music you want and they will play and sing it for you......LIVE!!!! Hahaha It could be my ears are failing me again as well as my eyesight. Enjoy!!!!

Andrew
, I need a tone control desperately. Natauhan na ako. I don't want to spend a lot of time and money making trial and errors on cables and wires. As well as mixing and matching speakers and amps. Ayoko ng maging minimalist. tone control lang pala ang kailangan para mailapit (though not perfect?) yung missmatch ng cables and speakers.
May sinabi kang most of the recordings are now mixed for automobile audio and may not sound as it should be in home audio? Tama ba yun?

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2009 at 09:38 AM by bz »

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4886 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 10:16 AM »
The Maestro SE 845 (DHT - Pure Class A) by Kinetic Audio, experience the near live musical reproduction :)

Driving a pair of SF Grand Piano and with the Amadeus SR # 1 infront.

An example of excellent craftmanship by the Tube Guru, Andrew Sevilla  8)
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline deuce

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4887 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM »
The Maestro SE 845 (DHT - Pure Class A) by Kinetic Audio, experience the near live musical reproduction :)

An example of excellent craftmanship by the Tube Guru, Andrew Sevilla  8)

Can you please share with us the specs and cost of this amp? Thanks.

BTW, I called up Kinetic Audio and was told very few amps are left, naubos yata sa yearend sale nila. Per order na lang daw.

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4888 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 10:55 PM »
Can you please share with us the specs and cost of this amp? Thanks.

BTW, I called up Kinetic Audio and was told very few amps are left, naubos yata sa yearend sale nila. Per order na lang daw.

Maestro SE 845 DHT Amp.
24wpc @ 8ohms in Pure Class A operating mode
Input Sensitivity - 350mV Rms
S/N Ratio 90dB
Frequency Range 15Hz - 35Khz
With dark wood faceplate
Weight approx 30+kgs.

Price: I would suggest to check with Andrew because this amp is a custom design.  :)

Regards,
:)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline deuce

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4889 on: Jan 14, 2010 at 01:03 AM »
Signal2Noise,

Thanks for the specs. Those 845 tubes look wickedly intimidating and mighty expensive! If NOS, the two tubes alone probably cost more than a whole entry-level tube amp.  ;)