Author Topic: AMX Tube Products  (Read 679212 times)

Offline endy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
amx tube amplifier... sound?
« Reply #4920 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 08:03 PM »
mga sir interested po sa amx tube amplifier  particular yung forte integrated.new po sa audiphile set up. at

preset my b&w 602s3 po ako. ok po ba ang said amp and pwede po kaya siya sa existing speaker ko. thinking

of a keeper tube amp and limited budget po, any suggestion po. thank you po....

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
Re: amx tube amplifier... sound?
« Reply #4921 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 08:18 PM »
IMHO, your B&W rating 90db will be a good match to AMX tube amp. B&W are rated easy to drive speakers AFAIK so there will be no problem hooking to AMX. I am proud user of AMX and its hooked to my wharfs 8.1 at 86db only and Im satisfied with it especially when the AMX is warm. But its just me though. HTH  ;)

Hey, that's my bike!

Offline endy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: AMX Tube Products
« Reply #4922 on: Feb 24, 2011 at 01:23 PM »
sir thank you very much...... sir have you compared your amx with other tube amps?

my nag suggest din kasi sakin ng cayin a50t or yung a55t..

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4923 on: Feb 26, 2011 at 09:58 PM »
sir thank you very much...... sir have you compared your amx with other tube amps?

my nag suggest din kasi sakin ng cayin a50t or yung a55t..

Me & a friend compared my customized AMX 6L6GC Class A Int. (24watter) Amp against his Cayin A88T and both of us were surprised that the AMX is somehow ahead a bit in terms of SQ...warm so to speak.  

He even tried to sell the Cayin and planned to have the AMX Overture El34 but unfortunately, he couldn't find a buyer for his amp here in Singapore.  So he has no option but to live with the Cayin for the meantime and hoping to have an AMX on his next upgrade :)
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4924 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 07:04 AM »
Not only the SQ sir but also the parts, I've seen a Cayin MT-35 output transformer (repaired at AMX) so small compared to AMX Minima with the same output rating.  :)
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2011 at 07:04 AM by BigBert-2 »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4925 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 07:20 AM »
Not only the SQ sir but also the parts, I've seen a Cayin MT-35 output transformer (repaired at AMX) so small compared to AMX Minima with the same output rating.  :)

with output transformers, size is not everything......the pratice seems to be to get away with the smallest traffo for the job....

increasing size of traffo is always good in terms of saturation, but leakage reactance and inter-winding capacitance increases as the traffo size increases....it is all a balancing act..... ;)

design of output traffo is more of an art than science..... ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4926 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 07:25 AM »
Me & a friend compared my customized AMX 6L6GC Class A Int. (24watter) Amp against his Cayin A88T and both of us were surprised that the AMX is somehow ahead a bit in terms of SQ...warm so to speak.  

He even tried to sell the Cayin and planned to have the AMX Overture El34 but unfortunately, he couldn't find a buyer for his amp here in Singapore.  So he has no option but to live with the Cayin for the meantime and hoping to have an AMX on his next upgrade :)

power ratings in an amp is never a yardstick for sound quality, the power ratings was one of the myths perpetrated by marketing boys to justify the higher cost of so called higher powered amps......

your comments is a proof of this.....

my 6LU8 pp power amp is a mere 12 watter, but in terms of sq, a tad better than my 200watt T-amp.....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline BigBert-2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4927 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM »
my 6LU8 pp power amp is a mere 12 watter, but in terms of sq, a tad better than my 200watt T-amp.....

sir Tony baka pwede mapakigngan yong 6LU8 na amp mo.  ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4928 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 12:57 PM »
sir Tony baka pwede mapakigngan yong 6LU8 na amp mo.  ;D

yes why not? ;D

Offline BigBert-2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4929 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 01:02 PM »
yes why not? ;D

Diba Pasig area kalang sir Tony ? Ako just near Sta. Lucia Mall kay near enough siguro para mapasyal kita. hehe

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4930 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 01:41 PM »
Diba Pasig area kalang sir Tony ? Ako just near Sta. Lucia Mall kay near enough siguro para mapasyal kita. hehe

yup, palatiw kaliwa, pag nasa pasig market ka...you can reach me at 6282996, tuesday ownwards librea ko... ;D

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4931 on: Feb 28, 2011 at 06:04 PM »
power ratings in an amp is never a yardstick for sound quality, the power ratings was one of the myths perpetrated by marketing boys to justify the higher cost of so called higher powered amps......

your comments is a proof of this.....

I agree....I have heard a 3.5watter EL84 and 2A3 on triode mode and damn....it can give justice on above average sensitivity speakers (89-91dB) on a small listening area with excellent presentation in terms of sq.

Much better if the loudspeakers is somewhere in 94-97dB sensitivity range @ 6-8 Ohms / 1w/1m. :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4932 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 03:13 PM »
yup, palatiw kaliwa, pag nasa pasig market ka...you can reach me at 6282996, tuesday ownwards librea ko... ;D
I am from pasig also maybe we can have a pasig group get together with our AMXs. I ran el84 and never turned my volume control beyond the 10 o'clock mark though i ran it with some 12" full range open baffle. Satisfied na ako unless you guys can help me out what I am missing.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4933 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 03:35 PM »
I am from pasig also maybe we can have a pasig group get together with our AMXs. I ran el84 and never turned my volume control beyond the 10 o'clock mark though i ran it with some 12" full range open baffle. Satisfied na ako unless you guys can help me out what I am missing.

yes, i welcome that.....please call before you go to my house.... ;D

Offline jimny

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4934 on: Mar 09, 2011 at 03:31 AM »

lets do it!!!

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #4935 on: Mar 09, 2011 at 05:44 AM »
What tubes did the amps have ?

I had the large bottle Tungsol 6l6GC and the  the EH/Cayin Stock KT88 tubes, In the same amp,  the tungsol produced a lot of low frequency energy, very warm, actually too warm , whereas the EHKT88 was the exact opposite.

Tubes plays a big part on the SQ of  an amp, you can turn most if not all amps from a warm sounding amp to an ear splitting high frequency monster with different tubes.

IMHO ....This is one the best reasons to go tube

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2011 at 05:49 AM by qguy »

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4936 on: Mar 09, 2011 at 06:13 AM »
What tubes did the amps have ?

I had the large bottle Tungsol 6l6GC and the  the EH/Cayin Stock KT88 tubes, In the same amp,  the tungsol produced a lot of low frequency energy, very warm, actually too warm , whereas the EHKT88 was the exact opposite.

Tubes plays a big part on the SQ of  an amp, you can turn most if not all amps from a warm sounding amp to an ear splitting high frequency monster with different tubes.

IMHO ....This is one the best reasons to go tube

I am using both JJ & Svetlana 6L6GC on my AMX amp, while my colleague is using EH-6550 on his Cayin A88T.
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4937 on: Mar 09, 2011 at 06:15 AM »
Just had a chat with Andrew Sevilla yesterday via FB and he told me about his upcoming AMX series of 6L6 Class A guitar amp.....A new HOT item for guitar maniacs....An excellent stuff to pair with my Ibanez RGA Prestige :)
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2011 at 06:21 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4938 on: Mar 09, 2011 at 12:23 PM »
lets do it!!!

please call me ahead of time..... ;D

Offline 22TS

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Zero-SS Ampli
  • Liked:
« Reply #4939 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 06:13 PM »
AMX anecdote:

just hooked-up my amx 300B SET 10-watter, matched with my incredibly efficient Kenwood LS P9200 4way, 7 driver, 400watt-max speakers...

i noticed the stock 12AU7 tube had hints of microphonics, unfortunate...  anyway, i go on with playing my usual test songs: ella fitz, gal costa, philip glass, etc...  sweet and wet, but i had to pinpoint what set the sound apart...

so i put on my benchmark vinyl "Children of Sanchez" Chuck Mangione for the NAKAKAIYAK BA TEST.  This album can make you cry listened through my Sennheiser HD598 through a tube preamp/headamp; but it fails to do so with my PushPull 6L6GC with speakers in my listening environment. 

set with the 300B electro-harmonix on amx SET -- nakakiyak.
Zero-SS | All-FR

300B SET | 6L6 PP
FE207E | JB3 | HD598

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #4940 on: Dec 03, 2011 at 10:20 AM »
does anyone know the current pricing for AMX range of products?

Offline Mr.T.one

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • never listen with your eyes...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #4941 on: Dec 11, 2011 at 09:34 PM »
does anyone know the current pricing for AMX range of products?

call 491-6332, 710-3432, 861-8726. or visit 23C Presidents Ave, Cristabel Bldg, BF Homes Paranaque.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4942 on: Mar 25, 2012 at 09:45 PM »
call 491-6332, 710-3432, 861-8726. or visit 23C Presidents Ave, Cristabel Bldg, BF Homes Paranaque.
Please call me for the latest pricing. We are currently adjusting prices to be more competitive both in price and over all quality. Itaas and bandera ng PINOY!
driven by a passion for music

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4943 on: Mar 25, 2012 at 09:49 PM »
Coming up very soon...some very exciting and new designs are soon to be released.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4944 on: Mar 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM »
no, not blind folded. we ran the audition for several days and each time, the amx won. we would have preferred the beautiful imports because we were seeing the components but we didnt. the catch is, the amx was full of boutique parts like mundorf, paper in oil caps, vishay, etc. whereas the imports have stock parts like,for example,regular nichicon caps in the case of jadis jps2. but even with boutique parts, the amx cost just 1/8 of jadis. it confirms what engineers are saying, pare-pareho lang ang circuitry nyan. the imports cost a lot more because of taxes, duties, marketing, importation cost, beautiful casework, high end mystique cost, etc. and i know if i ABd my sonic frontiers sfl1 se, it would sound dry like the french kora preamp compared with the amx rhapsody.

associated equipment were dynaudio contour 3.4, manley snapper monoblocks, xindak fs-1 speaker cable, transparent music link single ended ic, transparent plus balance ic, synthesis pride cd player, mitchell gyrodec turntable with rb300 tonearm and benz micro ace high output mc cartridge.
Coming up very soon...some very exciting and new designs are soon to be released.

Thanks for the nice encouragement. I just read this post today which was posted more than a year ago due to my very very busy skeds. Thanks, will work harder to even make better amplifiers.

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #4945 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM »
AMX mono amp  8)

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4946 on: May 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM »
The Dark Overlord of a Three-Element Fire Bottle.....Maestro SE 845 Directly Heated Triode

Designed & Engineered by: Kinetic Audio Technologies

VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #4947 on: Jun 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM »
The Dark Overlord of a Three-Element Fire Bottle.....Maestro SE 845 Directly Heated Triode

Designed & Engineered by: Kinetic Audio Technologies

Very nice. Can you please post a picture fully showing the amp? Is this an integrated or power amp? Thanks in advance :D

Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4948 on: Jun 23, 2012 at 07:42 AM »
When tube rolling, make sure power supply has fully discharged before pulling out tubes. Many amps have big capacitors where electric charge stays and may cause damage and sudden sparks when tubes are pulled out and plugged in. Just a friendly reminder.

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #4949 on: Jun 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM »
When tube rolling, make sure power supply has fully discharged before pulling out tubes. Many amps have big capacitors where electric charge stays and may cause damage and sudden sparks when tubes are pulled out and plugged in. Just a friendly reminder.

how will we know if it's discharged completely? how many minutes is the normal guideline for what you've just mentioned?