Author Topic: AMX Tube Products  (Read 678743 times)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AMX Tube Products
« Reply #4950 on: Jun 23, 2012 at 03:33 PM »
5 minutes is more than enough....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #4951 on: Jun 23, 2012 at 05:28 PM »
thanks tony. tama din 5 mins para siguradong di mapaso.  ;D

Offline AMXTube

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4952 on: Jun 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM »
Another way to make sure the caps have discharged is to turn off the power of the amp while music is playing> You will hear a fading sound,  this means that the reserve energy in the caps have been used up, that is if the amp is not equipped with auto muting circuit.

Another tube rolling safety pointer I may share is to warm the tube you are going to audition next by placing them near the amp or under a warm lamp. This will prevent a cold tube filament from getting a high inrush current which may shorten the life of a tube, unless your amp is equipped with a circuit that prevents high inrush start up current.
driven by a passion for music

Offline Signal2Noise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4953 on: Jun 24, 2012 at 09:29 AM »
Another way to make sure the caps have discharged is to turn off the power of the amp while music is playing> You will hear a fading sound,  this means that the reserve energy in the caps have been used up, that is if the amp is not equipped with auto muting circuit.

Another tube rolling safety pointer I may share is to warm the tube you are going to audition next by placing them near the amp or under a warm lamp. This will prevent a cold tube filament from getting a high inrush current which may shorten the life of a tube, unless your amp is equipped with a circuit that prevents high inrush start up current.

+101 Well Said :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #4954 on: Jun 24, 2012 at 09:45 AM »

+202 !!
8)

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4955 on: Jun 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM »
Possible ba ang isang tube amp na not less than 40wpc PP/UL but in Class A operating mode pero ang dimension ay 12" x 9"?  Tube compliments maybe either 6L6GC/KT66 or EL34/6CA7.  Not as warmed as the DHT but I find the PP/UL in Class A more relaxed and with a punch than amps in Class AB mode.  Thanks :)

VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4956 on: Jun 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM »
classA push-pull has an efficiency of 25- 50%max, so at 40watts output, dc input must be 80 watts, that is too optimistic for a 6L6gc unless you are willing to be replacing output tubes every now and then....

(classAB has a classA reqion, ussualy the first few watts, now as sound level demands go up, they leave classA region and transitions to classB, that is why they are called classAB......classB is not so bad as some would like us to believe, David Berning's amps are like that.....)

with 30 watts plate rating, i can not see how it is possible, classA operates the tubes at maximum plate dissipation all the time...

classAB operates tubes in the 60 to 70% range so that tubes last longer...

but why worry about wattage? i stopped counting watts a long time ago.....sound quality is the most important.....

a 20 watter amp can sound the same as a 40 watter...amplifier wattage was invented by the marketing boys to justify the higher costs, the higher the wattage, the more expensive it becomes.....it is never a yardstick for quality....

most of the things we hear are borne out of our prefferences and biases which may or not jibe with reality....

reality is, if you want to know the power of your amp, the way to do it is by using dummy loads, a scope and a function generator, ac can then be measured at the onset of clipping....

consumers are really at the mercy of vendors, even if they say that amp is 40 watts, how are you going to know for sure?

so for consumers i suggest that the focus should be on the sound quality, how your amp drives your speakers is what really matters in the end...
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4957 on: Jun 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM »
unless your amp is equipped with a circuit that prevents high inrush start up current.

i use NTC resistors to limit inrush currents and swamp start-up transients on my power transformers, these resistors look like MOV's but has a dc resitance anywhere between 3 to 15 ohms cold, now as current flows thru them, they heat up and as a consequence resistance drops to sub ohm range.... ;)

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4958 on: Jun 25, 2012 at 04:17 AM »
classA push-pull has an efficiency of 25- 50%max, so at 40watts output, dc input must be 80 watts, that is too optimistic for a 6L6gc unless you are willing to be replacing output tubes every now and then....

(classAB has a classA reqion, ussualy the first few watts, now as sound level demands go up, they leave classA region and transitions to classB, that is why they are called classAB......classB is not so bad as some would like us to believe, David Berning's amps are like that.....)

with 30 watts plate rating, i can not see how it is possible, classA operates the tubes at maximum plate dissipation all the time...

classAB operates tubes in the 60 to 70% range so that tubes last longer...

but why worry about wattage? i stopped counting watts a long time ago.....sound quality is the most important.....

a 20 watter amp can sound the same as a 40 watter...amplifier wattage was invented by the marketing boys to justify the higher costs, the higher the wattage, the more expensive it becomes.....it is never a yardstick for quality....

most of the things we hear are borne out of our prefferences and biases which may or not jibe with reality....

reality is, if you want to know the power of your amp, the way to do it is by using dummy loads, a scope and a function generator, ac can then be measured at the onset of clipping....

consumers are really at the mercy of vendors, even if they say that amp is 40 watts, how are you going to know for sure?

so for consumers i suggest that the focus should be on the sound quality, how your amp drives your speakers is what really matters in the end...

Hi Tony, thank you for this explanation, indeed very informative.  I agree with you on the sound quality and numbers doesn't make sense at all for power output, however given the reality of some good sounding loudspeakers that  are quite low in terms of sensitivity and many may find it hard to be driven by low powered amps.   Well of course it depends on how loud one can play their music and what type of music they prefer.  Like for example a loudspeaker say in between 84dB - 86dB into 8 Ohms, low powered amp can drive this, why not but do you think it can maximized the full potential of the loudspeakers?  I am a believer of the first 3watts in audio, I find it more pure (because when I was 15yrs younger, I had this silly-mode of listening to a 400watts amp unleashing hell)...The reason why I am asking this question is for the sake of research and understanding.

Once I've listened to a good sounding yet power hungry British-made loudspeakers driven by a powerful Conrad Johnson 6550 monoblocks...I was in awe, I thought Hank Jones was inside the listening area playing his grand piano, indeed it was very brilliant....then afterwards I asked the shop owner to try a 10watter set, then the owner said "cannot" (bacause at the time there was this SET amp being serviced by the technician on the said shop).  But I insisted and then the shop owner asked his technician to hook-up this elegant-looking 300B with the pair of rosewood-finished British MI-6 (just a code).  A few minutes ago, I am almost on my audio orgasm listening to the ebony & ivory notes of Hank Jones, but when this beautiful 10watter SET played...Bang, I never thought it was Hank Jones who was playing anymore, I thought it was somebody who's notes went berserk...it was horrible and I might say, unlistenable.

Then I remember an old friend of mine in Tampa who once told me that there's no such thing as an "amplifier that does it all"  He then asked me "Do you want to hear a seductive voice like a bombshell singing inside a hotel lounge past after midnight, go for 2A3 or 300B, but if you want to hear how Jimmy Page and John Bonham played their instruments like a madman in "Songs Remains The Same"....?  Get a KT88 or 211.

So my enquiry is about, is there an amp (on a 12 x 9 dimension) that has at least the mids of EL34 but with the punch of 6L6 if not KT88 on a relaxed operating mode of Class A or let's make it this way, an amplifier that can play a like a SET but can drive like a Push Pull (on small package coz I know, this can be done in big-sized & monoblock packages / single ended-parallel).  Is my question valid, does it make sense?  Any inputs are welcome and I thank you and everybody in advance, again this is only for research and understanding purposes.  :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4959 on: Jun 25, 2012 at 06:30 AM »
your question is asking too much...unless those were  mono-blocks...i'd say 20watts is more realistic.....

agree on the low sensitivity speakers, you need bigger power for those....

maybe an 829b pp amp, rated 20 watts.....can fit a 12 x 9 chassis...

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #4960 on: Jun 25, 2012 at 07:17 AM »
Hi Tony, thank you for this explanation, indeed very informative.  I agree with you on the sound quality and numbers doesn't make sense at all for power output, however given the reality of some good sounding loudspeakers that  are quite low in terms of sensitivity and many may find it hard to be driven by low powered amps.   Well of course it depends on how loud one can play their music and what type of music they prefer.  Like for example a loudspeaker say in between 84dB - 86dB into 8 Ohms, low powered amp can drive this, why not but do you think it can maximized the full potential of the loudspeakers?  I am a believer of the first 3watts in audio, I find it more pure (because when I was 15yrs younger, I had this silly-mode of listening to a 400watts amp unleashing hell)...The reason why I am asking this question is for the sake of research and understanding.

Once I've listened to a good sounding yet power hungry British-made loudspeakers driven by a powerful Conrad Johnson 6550 monoblocks...I was in awe, I thought Hank Jones was inside the listening area playing his grand piano, indeed it was very brilliant....then afterwards I asked the shop owner to try a 10watter set, then the owner said "cannot" (bacause at the time there was this SET amp being serviced by the technician on the said shop).  But I insisted and then the shop owner asked his technician to hook-up this elegant-looking 300B with the pair of rosewood-finished British MI-6 (just a code).  A few minutes ago, I am almost on my audio orgasm listening to the ebony & ivory notes of Hank Jones, but when this beautiful 10watter SET played...Bang, I never thought it was Hank Jones who was playing anymore, I thought it was somebody who's notes went berserk...it was horrible and I might say, unlistenable.

Then I remember an old friend of mine in Tampa who once told me that there's no such thing as an "amplifier that does it all"  He then asked me "Do you want to hear a seductive voice like a bombshell singing inside a hotel lounge past after midnight, go for 2A3 or 300B, but if you want to hear how Jimmy Page and John Bonham played their instruments like a madman in "Songs Remains The Same"....?  Get a KT88 or 211.

So my enquiry is about, is there an amp (on a 12 x 9 dimension) that has at least the mids of EL34 but with the punch of 6L6 if not KT88 on a relaxed operating mode of Class A or let's make it this way, an amplifier that can play a like a SET but can drive like a Push Pull (on small package coz I know, this can be done in big-sized & monoblock packages / single ended-parallel).  Is my question valid, does it make sense?  Any inputs are welcome and I thank you and everybody in advance, again this is only for research and understanding purposes.  :)

You seemed torn between lambing ng SET and better dynamics ng PP. Parang ako.  :D

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4961 on: Jun 25, 2012 at 08:10 AM »
may i share a part of my audio journey

one of a kind pair of AMX 211 mono amp landed in my humble abode a fews years ago.. my AMX preamp and AMX mono amps were custom made to my needs by kuya Andrew Sevilla from blank sheets of paper to actual functioning units. they sing with much confidence that these trio bear the "Andrew Sevilla" name plate mounted on the chassis/bodies.

AMX 211 mono amps:
these very authoritative 200wpc push/pull mono amps pushed various transducers to "lively/musical" level with ease, no doubt. each amp weighs at least 26kgs !!

btw, i am an avid fan of ultra-linear 4 ohms Dynaudio transducers for more than a decade already.
i enjoyed listening to various Dynaudio series from excite, audience, contour, confidence, evidence (and recently, the consequence ultimate edition) as these transducers deliver my preferred SQ  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2012 at 08:25 AM by bass_nut »

Offline camoteque

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4962 on: Jun 25, 2012 at 09:24 AM »

The choice of an amp (and its performance) is limited by the kind of speakers it is going to be hooked-up into.

My take is this (and just my opinion): a different set of speakers for SET amp, another set of speakers for PP amps. You cannot expect true SET sound from a PP amp and true PP sound from a SET amp. The two types of amps have different characters.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4963 on: Jun 25, 2012 at 10:17 AM »
You seemed torn between lambing ng SET and better dynamics ng PP. Parang ako. 

i suggest that you have both....why limit yourself to just one type? i know some audiophiles, from living room to kitchen area, merong nakasetup na stereo, ready to play in a moments' notice.... ;D

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #4964 on: Jun 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM »
i suggest that you have both....why limit yourself to just one type? i know some audiophiles, from living room to kitchen area, merong nakasetup na stereo, ready to play in a moments' notice.... ;D

;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4965 on: Jun 25, 2012 at 01:17 PM »
sabi na nga ba, hindi makakatiis....... ;D

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #4966 on: Jun 25, 2012 at 01:29 PM »
mas maraming ilog na binabaybay mas ok? best of both worlds!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2012 at 01:32 PM by ojofool »

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4967 on: Jun 26, 2012 at 09:34 PM »
Possible ba ang isang tube amp na not less than 40wpc PP/UL but in Class A operating mode pero ang dimension ay 12" x 9"?  Tube compliments maybe either 6L6GC/KT66 or EL34/6CA7.  Not as warmed as the DHT but I find the PP/UL in Class A more relaxed and with a punch than amps in Class AB mode.  Thanks :)

I think 12" x 9" (slightly bigger than an A4 paper) maipagkakasya. 6 tubes, 4 power tubes, 2 driver tubes. 40 watts PP/UL kaya with El34's or 6CA7 or better yet KT77. 6l6gc family tubes 30 - 35 watts only for class AB1

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4968 on: Jun 26, 2012 at 09:44 PM »
But it might be better to use KT120 tubes in class A PP/UL. It has a higher plate dissipation and can take higher bias current.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4969 on: Jun 26, 2012 at 09:56 PM »
I find 6L6 tubes more relaxed than El34 even in Class AB. I have tried biasing it for full Class A in push pull, got only 18 watts, but beautiful 18 watts with no harshness.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4970 on: Jun 27, 2012 at 05:45 AM »
^yes, the Russian 6P3S sounds very much like an EL34......

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #4971 on: Jun 27, 2012 at 07:20 AM »
I think 12" x 9" (slightly bigger than an A4 paper) maipagkakasya. 6 tubes, 4 power tubes, 2 driver tubes. 40 watts PP/UL kaya with El34's or 6CA7 or better yet KT77. 6l6gc family tubes 30 - 35 watts only for class AB1

Sir do you sell these KT77 tubes?

Thanks

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #4972 on: Jun 27, 2012 at 07:27 AM »
I never tried tubes, now I really want to give it a try. Any recommendation for starters, I prefer integrated  ;D

Yung affordable lang mga masters  :)
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #4973 on: Jun 27, 2012 at 07:35 AM »
aya na ang simula...

I never tried tubes, now I really want to give it a try. Any recommendation for starters, I prefer integrated  ;D

Offline camoteque

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4974 on: Jun 27, 2012 at 08:39 AM »

May we know what speakers you are going to use it with?

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #4975 on: Jun 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM »
May we know what speakers you are going to use it with?

I have an extra DALI Concept One & Ikon 2  :)
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4976 on: Jun 27, 2012 at 09:21 PM »
AMX preamp (tubes: Hitachi 5Y3 x1 and Hitachi 6SN7 x2) with AMX remote control for added convenience.

a few years back, my good friend brother Voltz lend me his AMX tube preamp and a tube integrated amp. these combination matched well with my humble Dynaudio Confidence C1 transducers and preferred music genre. hence, the start of my journey in the HiFi Audio Tube World via AMX tube preamp and AMX tube mono amps  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2012 at 06:21 AM by bass_nut »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #4977 on: Jun 28, 2012 at 07:25 AM »
Ang alam ko, AMX also sells parts. Do you have DACT type volume control remote conversion? I mean the volume of my preamp is pot w/o remote. Gusto ko sana ng resistor type na may remote...

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4978 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 01:37 AM »
your question is asking too much...unless those were  mono-blocks...i'd say 20watts is more realistic.....

agree on the low sensitivity speakers, you need bigger power for those....

maybe an 829b pp amp, rated 20 watts.....can fit a 12 x 9 chassis...

Hi Tony,  yes it may be too much for now, but it may be not in the years to come as some SE & PP tube amps can now fit the palm of our hands....Like 60 yrs ago, people thought of computers like machines in mammoth-sized boxes powered by ECC9* designated electron devices and cooled by high capacity chilled water and blower air conditioning system,they even nicknamed it the BIG Iron.  Not until in the early 80's when the first recognized laptop was introduced.  Now, computers can be so small as the sized of a wrist watch.  Who might think in the old days that the science of computing can be this sophisticated as what we enjoy now.

Let's hope that one day, a new breed of output / power trannies will come out that would cater both SE & PP configuration in tiny packages so we could have or build a good & powerful sounding amps in smaller dimensions. :)
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2012 at 01:37 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4979 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 01:39 AM »
The choice of an amp (and its performance) is limited by the kind of speakers it is going to be hooked-up into.

My take is this (and just my opinion): a different set of speakers for SET amp, another set of speakers for PP amps. You cannot expect true SET sound from a PP amp and true PP sound from a SET amp. The two types of amps have different characters.

Hi Camoteque, I agree with you that's why I owned both SET 845, KT88 PP-triode connected & 6L6GC PP Class A tube amps.  However, I become optimistic when I saw this slogan "Technology Never Sleeps"  Does it make sense?  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2012 at 01:48 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845