Author Topic: AMX Tube Products  (Read 678847 times)

Offline Signal2Noise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AMX Tube Products
« Reply #4980 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 01:41 AM »
I find 6L6 tubes more relaxed than El34 even in Class AB. I have tried biasing it for full Class A in push pull, got only 18 watts, but beautiful 18 watts with no harshness.

I would like to hear that 18watter 6L6, thinking also of a 6L6GC in parallel single ended using Tango or Tamura irons :)
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2012 at 01:46 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4981 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 01:57 AM »
But it might be better to use KT120 tubes in class A PP/UL. It has a higher plate dissipation and can take higher bias current.

Hi, what is the max power output that you can get from of a KT120 in class A, PP/UL?   Can it be done on a 12 x 9" dimension?  Thanks :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4982 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 02:04 AM »
may i share a part of my audio journey

one of a kind pair of AMX 211 mono amp landed in my humble abode a fews years ago.. my AMX preamp and AMX mono amps were custom made to my needs by kuya Andrew Sevilla from blank sheets of paper to actual functioning units. they sing with much confidence that these trio bear the "Andrew Sevilla" name plate mounted on the chassis/bodies.

AMX 211 mono amps:
these very authoritative 200wpc push/pull mono amps pushed various transducers to "lively/musical" level with ease, no doubt. each amp weighs at least 26kgs !!

btw, i am an avid fan of ultra-linear 4 ohms Dynaudio transducers for more than a decade already.
i enjoyed listening to various Dynaudio series from excite, audience, contour, confidence, evidence (and recently, the consequence ultimate edition) as these transducers deliver my preferred SQ  ;)

Nice toy you have there, congrats :)
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2012 at 02:06 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #4983 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 04:15 AM »
Not sure if it was mentioned earlier,  why 12 x 9 ?

Hi, what is the max power output that you can get from of a KT120 in class A, PP/UL?   Can it be done on a 12 x 9" dimension?  Thanks :)

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4984 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 05:22 AM »

I think 12" x 9" (slightly bigger than an A4 paper) maipagkakasya. 6 tubes, 4 power tubes, 2 driver tubes. 40 watts PP/UL kaya with El34's or 6CA7 or better yet KT77. 6l6gc family tubes 30 - 35 watts only for class AB1
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #4985 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 08:39 AM »
Nice toy you have there, congrats :)

thank you very much, sir Signal2Noise.

yesterday at Kinetic Audio Lab, i was able to listen to at least four AMX vacuum tubes equipped audio products.. integrated amp, 2 stereo power amps and a smallish preamp..

revealing mids.. natural decaying highs.. palpable bass ..ample but well controlled LF.. soundstage wide and deep that made the smallish bookshelf invisible !!

these AMX vacuum tube powered products performed soooo well that i am itching to take 'em all home when my wallet gets loaded again !!  :D
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2012 at 08:44 AM by bass_nut »

Offline AMXTube

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4986 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 02:49 PM »

Class AB PP UL100 watts easily, Class A it looks like 45w to 48w will be the max but the trannies would be quite huge so it wont fit the target size of 12 x 9.
driven by a passion for music

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4987 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 02:52 PM »
I would like to hear that 18watter 6L6, thinking also of a 6L6GC in parallel single ended using Tango or Tamura irons :)

Parallel SE 6L6GC in Super Triode Connection will be really cool with Tango transformers!

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #4988 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 05:59 PM »

yesterday at Kinetic Audio Lab, i was able to listen to at least four AMX vacuum tubes equipped audio products.. integrated amp, 2 stereo power amps and a smallish preamp..

revealing mids.. natural decaying highs.. palpable bass ..ample but well controlled LF.. soundstage wide and deep that made the smallish bookshelf invisible !!

these AMX vacuum tube powered products performed soooo well that i am itching to take 'em all home when my wallet gets loaded again !!  :D

Di ka nag-SMS, Manila ka pala.  :( Doc, palagi namanloaded ang wallet mo.  ;)

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4989 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM »

Hi bass_nut, I'm also thinking of that kind of setup using big radio transmitting DHTs, however due to space constraint and the burden of bringing those heavy weights overseas, that restricts me.  Hopefully, I could have a similar setup but using 845's in parallel SE like the Audio Note GakuOn (instead of 211) zero feedback mono triode power amplifiers.

The first time I heard a 211 monoblocks was in 2005, the Jolida Envoy.  Nice amp but I prefered the warm presentation of AMX-Kinetic built amplifiers (no bias here), I almost got a CJ overseas here but I find it HiFi sounding, the same as with the Jolida and Cayin-Spark Audio.  I am iliterate in electronics, can't even read an schematic diagram, long forgoten the Ohms Law but I guessed I know how to listen...I remember my old friend in Tampa, he has this line "Hey Dude...It's Music...Not Hifi" ...Anyhow, congrats again for having those awesome-looking Three-Element Firebottle power house, regards :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4990 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM »
Class AB PP UL100 watts easily, Class A it looks like 45w to 48w will be the max but the trannies would be quite huge so it wont fit the target size of 12 x 9.

Hi AMX, what is the smallest dimension you could come up with a KT120 in Class A PP (45-48wpc)?  Thank you :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4991 on: Jun 30, 2012 at 02:48 AM »
Di ka nag-SMS, Manila ka pala.  :( Doc, palagi namanloaded ang wallet mo.  ;)

will ping you when i re-visit kuya Andrew at Kinetic Audio Technologies shop, brother Nelson  ;)

Hi bass_nut, I'm also thinking of that kind of setup using big radio transmitting DHTs, however due to space constraint and the burden of bringing those heavy weights overseas, that restricts me.  Hopefully, I could have a similar setup but using 845's in parallel SE like the Audio Note GakuOn (instead of 211) zero feedback mono triode power amplifiers.

The first time I heard a 211 monoblocks was in 2005, the Jolida Envoy.  Nice amp but I prefered the warm presentation of AMX-Kinetic built amplifiers (no bias here), I almost got a CJ overseas here but I find it HiFi sounding, the same as with the Jolida and Cayin-Spark Audio.  I am iliterate in electronics, can't even read an schematic diagram, long forgoten the Ohms Law but I guessed I know how to listen...I remember my old friend in Tampa, he has this line "Hey Dude...It's Music...Not Hifi" ...Anyhow, congrats again for having those awesome-looking Three-Element Firebottle power house, regards :)

indeed, its the music which should be rendered as faithful as possible by audio gears, as preferred by the listener (music enthusiast)  ;)

kuya Andrew knows we like the performance of Mullard el34, 6L6, 211, 12AT7, 12ax7, Hitachi 6SN7 and Russian 6n1P.. no musical note should be recessed nor over-emphasized... he is aware we like flexible and capable audio gears that will satisfy our SQ preference.

our recent visits to kuya Andrew's shop was very fruitful and so encouraging, brother Signal2Noise. the Master shared to us detailed history (from the 1930s' to present days) of each tube we mentioned. electrons flowing through the innards of each tube and how these affect final SQ. he mention specific dates, names and companies responsible regarding the development of each tube (and their variants) and the techniques used. it was like traveling back in time. hence, we now appreciate more these relatively tiny electric bottles as applied to audio gears.

did i say he discussed in length the tiny parts of each tube and how these affect SQ ? through kuya Andrew we also learned the history of the two useful forms of electricity and how these evolved into what we knew them now.

each question we asked him he replied in an easy to understand manner. a lot we learned kaya nakaka-addict bisitahin ang Master.

Jolida Envoy mono amps pushed me to go big amps. tunog s/s amps na very muscular and revealing. hence, kuya Andrew started our 211 mono amps project his ways, from blank sheets of paper to actual working units. he explained to us in detail the difference of these beasts. mine has huge knob (gain adjustment) located at the right side of the faceplate.. a smallish analog meter to show status of the tubes performance.. and a few more features. i am so amazed and so satisfied but our kuya Andrew was not yet satisfied. he wants more spacious soundstage and thicker (more unfolding) mids.. he will do some more refinements on his work.

on same line, the Master is on to some new products. we are already excited to audition his upcoming new implementations.   ;)

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM by bass_nut »

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #4992 on: Jul 02, 2012 at 07:56 PM »
Sir Andrew is one of the Pioneer of this PDVD Tube Crazy thing! This is almost 5K Reply thread ;D AMX is one of the Legend when it comes to Tubes. When I started here (almost 10 years) you cannot find any local Tube Amp maker except AMX.......... its on the List of "PDVD Hall of Fame"!
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2012 at 07:58 PM by odyopayl »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4993 on: Jul 02, 2012 at 09:25 PM »
Sir Andrew is one of the Pioneer of this PDVD Tube Crazy thing! This is almost 5K Reply thread ;D AMX is one of the Legend when it comes to Tubes. When I started here (almost 10 years) you cannot find any local Tube Amp maker except AMX.......... its on the List of "PDVD Hall of Fame"!
I never thought of this nor desired it. All I wanted is to produce tube amps and preamps that sound as best as it could at the least possible price. Thank you for your support. It was not easy, we had our difficult times, our ups and downs but we kept trying...we owe you our customers for your supporting us through the years... you have my firm commitment! With much gratitude...AMX

Offline jimny

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4994 on: Jul 06, 2012 at 03:06 AM »

got 2 guitar amp and 3 integrated from sir andrew

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #4995 on: Jul 06, 2012 at 06:35 AM »
may pricelist po ba kayo ng amx products Sir? Actually I'm looking for a budget tube preamp w/ bass & treble  control po sana Sir Andrew
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline Voltraizer

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4996 on: Jul 10, 2012 at 03:18 PM »
AMX preamp (tubes: Hitachi 5Y3 x1 and Hitachi 6SN7 x2) with AMX remote control for added convenience.

a few years back, my good friend brother Voltz lend me his AMX tube preamp and a tube integrated amp. these combination matched well with my humble Dynaudio Confidence C1 transducers and preferred music genre. hence, the start of my journey in the HiFi Audio Tube World via AMX tube preamp and AMX tube mono amps  ;)

yes doc, first amx preamp to have tone controls w/ remote per my request & specification.
Besides tone control or loudness switch, it also has subwoofer gain control at the back..
nice shot bro bass_nut! ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2012 at 08:34 AM by Voltraizer »
technics sl1200ltd gold,,Passlabs X250.5,dynaudio C1, rogue  super99,charisma audio ref1 mc 

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4997 on: Jul 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM »
indeed, dedicated subwoofer output with variable gain control is very useful feature of your AMX 6SN7 preamp, brother Voltz. btw, wala na akong makitang available na Hitachi 6SN7 tubes which are highly regarded by audio tubes experts.

here's a pair of vacuum tubes which i will try on my AMX 6922/6DJ8 preamp or on my CD player. will see where it can be maxed out.

6DJ8 Amperex Holland 1970-1976
(all have a "Dimpled Disc" Getter Halo or "A" Frame Getter Halo)
(Low noise and microphonics and great lively 3 dimensional sound)
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2012 at 07:50 PM by bass_nut »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4998 on: Jul 11, 2012 at 02:27 PM »
^looks like the Russian 6H23 looking at the plate structure.....

Hitachi EL34's which Mullard buys from Japan is said to the the best sounding EL34 there was...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4999 on: Jul 11, 2012 at 02:33 PM »
these are 6DJ8 Amperex Holland 1970-1976, not 6H23 ;-)
[[https://www.tubeworld.com/6dj8.htm]]

Mullard EL-34 on my AMX 211 mono block amps perform superbly, per my ears/source material&playback/2.1 system/listening room ;-)
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2012 at 09:11 AM by bass_nut »

Offline Voltraizer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5000 on: Jul 11, 2012 at 04:55 PM »
indeed, dedicated subwoofer output with variable gain control is very useful feature of your AMX 6SN7 preamp, brother Voltz. btw, wala na akong makitang available na Hitachi 6SN7
<snp>
meron pa bro bassnut sa audiogon:
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/hitachi-6sn7-gtb-
Quote from: ws_trader
These special 6SN7-GTB made by Hitachi in the 1960s, earned a permanent spot in my reference system after easily besting the "Holy Grail" of 6SN7 & variants, the Tung-Sol 6SN7 GT, Black glass, black plates, made in the 1940s! (it wasn't close; If it were a fight the ref would have stopped it)!
Note: the 1970's gray plates offer 90% or more of the black plates performance at a very attractive price. They beat everything else out there except for, their black plated cousins. You need very good - excellent hearing to tell the difference. Only, roughly half of the audiophiles could detect a difference in straight A / B comparisons One black plate pair left $250  
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2012 at 04:57 PM by Voltraizer »
technics sl1200ltd gold,,Passlabs X250.5,dynaudio C1, rogue  super99,charisma audio ref1 mc 

Offline agsmd793

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5001 on: Jul 11, 2012 at 08:27 PM »
Parallel SE 6L6GC in Super Triode Connection
sir Andrew, awaiting production run of this amp! :)

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5002 on: Jul 12, 2012 at 08:00 PM »
Hi AMX, what is the smallest dimension you could come up with a KT120 in Class A PP (45-48wpc)?  Thank you :)

Hi, the transformers for KT120 PP class A will be quite large so will be the Output transformers. I am sure you are aware that in Class A amps the tubes are in conduction  continuously and the bias current to attain 45 watts never goes into cut-off, unlike Class AB operation mode. In other words the current is quite high. Sorry for the techno-speak. I estimate about 16" x 10" more or less to accommodate the wide diameter of the tubes also and have some clearance between them for proper natural cooling.Tube complements may take take a 6Cg7 for inverter driver and a 12AX7 for input voltage amplifier.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5003 on: Jul 12, 2012 at 08:03 PM »
indeed, dedicated subwoofer output with variable gain control is very useful feature of your AMX 6SN7 preamp, brother Voltz. btw, wala na akong makitang available na Hitachi 6SN7 tubes which are highly regarded by audio tubes experts.

here's a pair of vacuum tubes which i will try on my AMX 6922/6DJ8 preamp or on my CD player. will see where it can be maxed out.

6DJ8 Amperex Holland 1970-1976
(all have a "Dimpled Disc" Getter Halo or "A" Frame Getter Halo)
(Low noise and microphonics and great lively 3 dimensional sound)

Great looking tubes huh, it should sound great. Congrats for the find of those rare tubes.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5004 on: Jul 12, 2012 at 08:05 PM »
may pricelist po ba kayo ng amx products Sir? Actually I'm looking for a budget tube preamp w/ bass & treble  control po sana Sir Andrew

Please call me 09175182448 0r text me. Land line is 7103432. Hope to hear from you!

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5005 on: Jul 12, 2012 at 08:10 PM »
sir Andrew, awaiting production run of this amp! :)

We are currently doing the Output Transformers of the amp, it is the last stage of the amp but the first to be considered in the design build. PM me your cell number so I can personally text you when its ready.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5006 on: Jul 12, 2012 at 08:20 PM »
We are currently doing the Output Transformers of the amp, it is the last stage of the amp but the first to be considered in the design build. PM me your cell number so I can personally text you when its ready.

I would just like to make a formal announcement: We are now located, since January 2011, in:

23C Cristabel Bldg., Presidents Ave. BF Homes Paranaque, my tel. no is 7103432, If you need some work on your AMX tube amps, Vacuum tubes and other parts, just call please.

Offline Voltraizer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5007 on: Jul 14, 2012 at 06:06 PM »

The first time I heard a 211 monoblocks was in 2005, the Jolida Envoy.  ..... <snp>
i remember that brader sol ;) . & that was in the listening room of bro john in his condo unit in malate... :D
associated equip:
source:michell gyrodec SE ltd ed turntable with SME tonearm/ lyra cart combination
speaker:  sonusfaber and/or epos booskshelf
cd player:jolida

prefered the warm presentation of AMX-Kinetic built amplifiers
x2... :-\
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2012 at 06:54 PM by Voltraizer »

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5008 on: Jul 14, 2012 at 09:15 PM »
Very nice. Can you please post a picture fully showing the amp? Is this an integrated or power amp? Thanks in advance :D

Hi Narayan, this is an integrated amp, 24wpc SET using an 845 DHT in Pure Class A mode.
Below are 2 video samples taken with an IPhone, featuring a Sonus faber Grand Piano + AMX Maestro SET 845....I intentionally took it without light to give emphasis on AMX Maestro 845 Single-Ended DHT....

Video 1:http://youtu.be/JQFNLKrCBSM?hd=1

Video 2: http://youtu.be/GLZlh8mwzRY?hd=1

Photos

VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5009 on: Jul 15, 2012 at 05:19 AM »
i remember that brader sol ;) . & that was in the listening room of bro john in his condo unit in malate... :D
associated equip:
source:michell gyrodec SE ltd ed turntable with SME tonearm/ lyra cart combination
speaker:  sonusfaber and/or epos booskshelf
cd player:jolida
x2... :-\

Kumusta Bro  :)
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2012 at 05:20 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD