Author Topic: AMX Tube Products  (Read 679431 times)

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AMX Integrated Tube Amp
« Reply #3900 on: May 12, 2005 at 05:16 PM »
odyo,

Preference will PLAY a big role... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Whats the difference between the brands you mentions hehehehe well it depends on your taste.. ako AMX tube preamp and Amp ko have listened to other brand but still i stick to this brand kahit locally made kasi i love the sound..

Audition and buy the best sounding gears you like/love kasi ikaw naman makikinig nun. ;D ;D

maganda join ka sa session. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005 at 05:21 PM by hans adriane »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3901 on: May 12, 2005 at 05:23 PM »
got the chance to drop by phasetron earlier this evening to drool over their amps. first up was the el34 integrated (ss-rectified) driving the celestions (87db) playing stacey kent. volume was only at 9 o'clock but the music was already way loud. no harshness whatsoever; just pure playful stacey kent.

next up was the kt-88 integrated driving the same speakers and playing the same song. though i noticed that the volume was at somewhere like 10 o'clock to achieve the same level as the el34.

last was an integrated set amp driving a pair of all-black mid-height floorstanders.  stacey kent never sounded more lush and alive!

i am by no means an audio techie...but i loved what i heard! wish i could have stayed longer to hear the other amps (i counted around 10 integrateds, 2 powers and 2 preamps).

had the pleasure of meeting and chatting a bit with the man himself, mr. andrew sevilla.

hope to drop by again soon and stay a bit longer (and bring my cds). thank you sir!

Sir heard the KT88 also driving the Alon speaker and tulo laway ko rin.. hehehhee for the price its hard to beat ito..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005 at 05:24 PM by hans adriane »

Offline zap|JDM

• Collector
  • nOOb
  • Liked:
« Reply #3902 on: May 12, 2005 at 05:28 PM »
sige sir. just let me know when and where. if my sched permits sama talaga ko. i wanted to hear yung mga tubes nyo. :) kaya lang baka mawalan ako ng gana sa setup ko pag nadinig ko na mga gears nyo ;D
thats why im "staying away" to these listening sessions. :)
www.jdmunderground.ph
Mickey's Autosound

Offline odyo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3903 on: May 12, 2005 at 05:32 PM »
thanks, sir hans.

i agree with you on the preference.  im just polling observations from those you have heard and compared them.  like you sir, you seem very much satisfied with amx.  your posts makes me more curious about amx.   :D

i should join you na lang nga siguro.    ;D ;D ;D

Offline odyo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3904 on: May 12, 2005 at 05:34 PM »
thats why im "staying away" to these listening sessions. :)

hahaha...  sama ka na para we could console each other not to trash our setup   ;D ;D ;D
tamang tama yan coz we both drive our system with hk avr   :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005 at 05:46 PM by odyo »

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #3905 on: May 12, 2005 at 05:47 PM »
i agree with you on the preference.  im just polling observations from those you have heard and compared them.  like you sir, you seem very much satisfied with amx.  your posts makes me more curious about amx.   

i should join you na lang nga siguro.     

Hans is right, Tube Amps is almost pare-pareho lang if you will check the diagrams & lets  say parts? Everything is available na (aftermarket parts) premium parts etch. But some people are not just concern about the Good Sound but also with the Good  looks.  ;)
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3906 on: May 13, 2005 at 06:23 AM »
odyo,

Preference will PLAY a big role... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Whats the difference between the brands you mentions hehehehe well it depends on your taste.. ako AMX tube preamp and Amp ko have listened to other brand but still i stick to this brand kahit locally made kasi i love the sound..

Audition and buy the best sounding gears you like/love kasi ikaw naman makikinig nun. ;D ;D

maganda join ka sa session. ;D ;D ;D

i agree with you on the preference.  im just polling observations from those you have heard and compared them.  like you sir, you seem very much satisfied with amx.  your posts makes me more curious about amx.   

Hans is right, Tube Amps is almost pare-pareho lang if you will check the diagrams & lets  say parts? Everything is available na (aftermarket parts) premium parts etch. But some people are not just concern about the Good Sound but also with the Good  looks.  ;)

though i would agree with you that there is a basic design foundation (not only in tubes), i don't agree that they are "almost" the same except for the looks.  indeed that same parts may be used but it doesnt mean that merely owning any tube amp will guarantee  that it will sound better than other SS or sound the same with other branded tube amps.  the term signature sound exists for this reason  ;)

i would agree though with hans that it depends on taste/preference just like any other component in an audio setup.  so if it depends on taste, there are differences in sound.  and we all know this "preference thing" since we started this hobby years back.  if there are preferences, there are differences.  :)

what i "think" makes amx intresting and better is that mr. andrew sevilla is designing and building these amps with filipino audiophiles in mind - great sound (comparable or better than other tube amps - dictated by preference) at great price (dictated by filipino wallets)!  keep up the good work mr andrew!   8)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005 at 10:28 AM by odyo »

Offline zap|JDM

• Collector
  • nOOb
  • Liked:
« Reply #3907 on: May 13, 2005 at 11:30 AM »
hahaha... sama ka na para we could console each other not to trash our setup ;D ;D ;D
tamang tama yan coz we both drive our system with hk avr :)

baka mapa-swipe tayo  ng d oras jan sa AMX na yan...

baka ganito sabihin natin sa isat-isa, "bro oks lang yan, magaan naman ang monthly eh!" whahaaha!
www.jdmunderground.ph
Mickey's Autosound

Offline odyo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3908 on: May 13, 2005 at 11:44 AM »
baka mapa-swipe tayo  ng d oras jan sa AMX na yan...

baka ganito sabihin natin sa isat-isa, "bro oks lang yan, magaan naman ang monthly eh!" whahaaha!

wala na lang dalahan nd card.   :)
tapos mabalitaan na lang nating na isa sa atin ang bumalik dala na yun card  ayyssuuusss    ;D  ;D  ;D
0% 12 months naman eh   ;D  (meron na ba?)   ;D

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3909 on: May 14, 2005 at 09:44 AM »
sir audioboy, para kasing sagot eh.  hahaha   ;D

wala pa kasi akong time para i-audition uli both and amx to compare.  hope to find the time soon...
so opinions lang muna for now regardless of personal preferences.    ;)

let us talk more serious now.................

IMHO, now that you're so curious how different brands differ in sound, i advice you to leave that mind boggling question first.

I advise you to focus on the characteristics of the tubes used in an amp. when i say tubes, i refer to the output tubes. ignore the driver and rectifier tubes in the meantime as they will become interesting only when you are already familiar with the output tubes.

reason: you may be comparing brands but of different output tubes. hahaha. ibang iba talaga tunog nyan.

know the distinction between these tubes: EL34, EL84, 6550, KT88, 2a3, 300b

Note: Almost all, if not all tubes, have tube equivalent. These equivalents too may sound different.

Next, you have to understand circuit design. not necessarily on how to make an amp but on the characteristics of some designs like Single Ended Triode (know what triode tubes are) and Pushpull (UL/Triode) configuration.

Brand for me is the last thing to consider. ofcourse, one thing that is nice about branded gears is their high resale value.

Read............read audition and audition........ then know your preference.

cheers!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005 at 10:06 AM by Audioboy »

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #3910 on: May 14, 2005 at 11:46 AM »
i can only agree with audioboy...we can always tell you what's good and what's not good...but these are based on OUR preferences, not yours...so really the key here is read, listen, audition...by the way audioboy, next week baka pwede tayo?? thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline odyo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3911 on: May 14, 2005 at 12:59 PM »
let us talk more serious now.................

IMHO, now that you're so curious how different brands differ in sound, i advice you to leave that mind boggling question first.

I advise you to focus on the characteristics of the tubes used in an amp. when i say tubes, i refer to the output tubes. ignore the driver and rectifier tubes in the meantime as they will become interesting only when you are already familiar with the output tubes.

reason: you may be comparing brands but of different output tubes. hahaha. ibang iba talaga tunog nyan.

know the distinction between these tubes: EL34, EL84, 6550, KT88, 2a3, 300b

Note: Almost all, if not all tubes, have tube equivalent. These equivalents too may sound different.

Next, you have to understand circuit design. not necessarily on how to make an amp but on the characteristics of some designs like Single Ended Triode (know what triode tubes are) and Pushpull (UL/Triode) configuration.

Brand for me is the last thing to consider. ofcourse, one thing that is nice about branded gears is their high resale value.

Read............read audition and audition........ then know your preference.

cheers!

actually been gathering info but not much still.   :)
your input kinda reinforced the intro knowledge i know about tubes.   thanks sir!  ;)

Offline Jakob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3912 on: May 14, 2005 at 03:23 PM »
amx el34 pp tube amp - galeng!!!

sorry guys for the short review (actually one word only  ;D ), not sure on how to use those audiophile jargons.

for my kind of music and my ears, amx's the best.

more TUBE power to sir andrew and his team.

8)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3913 on: May 14, 2005 at 03:53 PM »
odyo and zap,

Don't worry sa listening session..

sama lang..

agree with superman & audioboy tsaka dun sa character ng tube kanya kanya din yan.. di pwede apple compare sa orange at iba lasa and color nun hehehehe kahit na same fruit. ;)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3914 on: May 14, 2005 at 03:55 PM »

sir i disagree hehehehe..

Good looks doesn't mean Good sound.. pwede pa good sound pero not so good looks.. ;D ;D ;D

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3915 on: May 14, 2005 at 04:00 PM »
thanks, sir hans.

i agree with you on the preference.  im just polling observations from those you have heard and compared them.  like you sir, you seem very much satisfied with amx.  your posts makes me more curious about amx.   :D

i should join you na lang nga siguro.    ;D ;D ;D

Yup very happy ako sa amx... before i consider the looks, and brands pero after auditioning and comparing side by side eh... ;D ;D

Amx ako. 8) 8)

Offline Audioboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3916 on: May 14, 2005 at 06:48 PM »
...by the way audioboy, next week baka pwede tayo?? thanks!

sure pre. send sms to confirm.  ;)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3917 on: May 14, 2005 at 10:13 PM »
Got some pictures on display at Phasetron..

EL34 tube rectified

6L6 SS rectified

Budget EL34 tube rectified

Budget EL34 SS rectified
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005 at 10:14 PM by hans adriane »

Offline Audioboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3918 on: May 15, 2005 at 07:17 AM »
hans,

pareho ba circuit ng lahat ng amp na nasa pics? bakit tatlong peanut tubes? dalawang driver tapos isang buffer?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #3919 on: May 15, 2005 at 09:22 PM »
What is the price range of the budget amp?

Offline Jakob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3920 on: May 16, 2005 at 03:17 PM »
What is the price range of the budget amp?

tube rectified - 17K+
solid state rectified - 16K+

if i'm not mistaken, and no price increase yet.

for the price it rocks, and reggae's  O0  8)

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3921 on: May 16, 2005 at 03:43 PM »
mga sirs,

sonically, what's the difference between the budget el34 amp and the non-budget one?

Offline Audioboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3922 on: May 16, 2005 at 04:05 PM »
mga sirs,

sonically, what's the difference between the budget el34 amp and the non-budget one?

For your appreciation and information:

Our new EL34 budget integrated amp that is coming out very soon , is equipped with an active line stage. It is no longer a power amp with a passive line stage preamp. This is code named: APOLLO 2The circuit topology is very different from the amplifiers we built before. The line stage preamp uses a 6NIP or may be upgraded to 6DJ8. The phase inverter topology uses the floating paraphase scheme, and the power supply uses both a tube rectifier and high speed diodes together.

The budget EL34 basic power amp , code named APOLLO 1 , has no volume control and will need a separate preamp to drive it to full power.

APOLLO 1 and 2 will also be available in premium models, fitted out with Auricaps, NOS driver tubes, JJ Filter capacitors, fully chrome plated chassis and transformer covers. Of course the price will be higher but will still affordable.

Also in the test lab is our new passive gain line preamp. It uses an inductor to increase the gain from 250mv (CD output) to 1 volt (power amp input) No tubes and no power requirement. Check this out soon. CHEERS!

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3923 on: May 16, 2005 at 05:39 PM »
hans,

pareho ba circuit ng lahat ng amp na nasa pics? bakit tatlong peanut tubes? dalawang driver tapos isang buffer?

Audioboy,

Bro si Mr Andrew na bahala sa mga question nyo hehehhee.. natuwa lang ako sa dami ng amp kaya na kodakan ko. ;D

Offline Audioboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3924 on: May 16, 2005 at 06:29 PM »
Audioboy,

Bro si Mr Andrew na bahala sa mga question nyo hehehhee.. natuwa lang ako sa dami ng amp kaya na kodakan ko. ;D

ok pre. no prob.

ganda ng pics mo senyor.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3925 on: May 16, 2005 at 10:08 PM »
ok pre. no prob.

ganda ng pics mo senyor.

thanks senyor..

Ito pa pala... KT88

Offline odyo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3926 on: May 17, 2005 at 04:54 PM »
what are the price ranges for the preamps and amps?

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #3927 on: May 17, 2005 at 05:02 PM »
what are the price ranges for the preamps and amps?
Wow...separates! Start ka muna sa Integrated magastos yan sa interconnects.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3928 on: May 17, 2005 at 10:00 PM »
thanks senyor..

Ito pa pala... KT88

Sold na pala ito KT88

Btw was able to audition this Budget EL34 tube rectified with Triode/ultralinear switch all i can say PANALO!! don't take my word audition it yourself.. :)

17k grabe its a steal kahit side by side mo sa china brand. 8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005 at 11:41 PM by hans adriane »

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #3929 on: May 17, 2005 at 11:21 PM »
agreeeeeeeeeeeeeee with hans...i was there...i was a witness
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium