Author Topic: AMX Tube Products  (Read 679820 times)

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
Re: AMX Integrated Tube Amp
« Reply #4290 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 08:41 AM »
Hi Sir Andrew,

Would be interested in your new SE in the works.As it is, i own one of your KT88 SE/UL Int. Amp (forte integra).
Would love to see those wood sidings in your amps again.
Also, hope the pricings would be very tempting just the way it is...
Goodluck, Sir.Keep us updated... :)

Offline AMXTube

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4291 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 09:41 AM »
Sorry Jetok but I am not using a triode. :( The Triode SE or SET for short is a well traveled path, the  sound outcome is very prdeictable. Triodes have become very expensive also as there are very few choices you can make. DHT's or directly heated triodes like 2a3 and 300B are very inefficient and have very high interelectrode capacitance. Inter electrode capacitance increases as the size of the tubes get larger. Sound wise it becomes very difficult for the tubes to amplify high frequencies (Where all the details of the music resides). The founding fathers of audio knew this before the 1940's so they invented by pouring a lot of money in research to what many audiophiles today hate, the Pentode or Tetrode. This very same (but now hated by many audiophiles) pentode ushered in the "golden Age of Hifi Audio". What could be wrong with it?What I am doing is taking a different look at the tube and see what it can do. To say that I am now listening to SEP (P for tetrode  or pentode) now with  improved dynamics, greater detail which translates to wider sound stage, yet with excellent low frequency extension and higher efficiency (means less money). Many will not agree with my approach, most likely the triode fans, but all these components, triode and pentodes, and the wealth of information left to us by the founding fathers of audio must be looked at a different perspective. Discarding nothing and trying to use all to our advantage. I do not want a debate with anyone, I am just taking the road less traveled!
A journey to audio nirvanah land via the Pentode road. So far it has not been bumpy. I have tried the triode road, now I want to take the other and rediscover. :D
driven by a passion for music

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #4292 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 10:19 AM »
Sir AMXTube,

I not being a fan of vacuum tubes am surprised that only a few people dabble in pentodes or tetrodes. I thought that the only "good" sounding ones are the triodes.

Sir, do you have a pre-release version of the pentode or tetrode based amp? Is it available for demo?

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #4293 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 11:33 AM »
Sorry Jetok but I am not using a triode. :( The Triode SE or SET for short is a well traveled path, the  sound outcome is very prdeictable. Triodes have become very expensive also as there are very few choices you can make. DHT's or directly heated triodes like 2a3 and 300B are very inefficient and have very high interelectrode capacitance. Inter electrode capacitance increases as the size of the tubes get larger. Sound wise it becomes very difficult for the tubes to amplify high frequencies (Where all the details of the music resides). The founding fathers of audio knew this before the 1940's so they invented by pouring a lot of money in research to what many audiophiles today hate, the Pentode or Tetrode. This very same (but now hated by many audiophiles) pentode ushered in the "golden Age of Hifi Audio". What could be wrong with it?What I am doing is taking a different look at the tube and see what it can do. To say that I am now listening to SEP (P for tetrode  or pentode) now with  improved dynamics, greater detail which translates to wider sound stage, yet with excellent low frequency extension and higher efficiency (means less money). Many will not agree with my approach, most likely the triode fans, but all these components, triode and pentodes, and the wealth of information left to us by the founding fathers of audio must be looked at a different perspective. Discarding nothing and trying to use all to our advantage. I do not want a debate with anyone, I am just taking the road less traveled!
A journey to audio nirvanah land via the Pentode road. So far it has not been bumpy. I have tried the triode road, now I want to take the other and rediscover. :D

Thanks sir for this observation, My wife's tube is a SEP type, 8w per channel lang but sounded so good talaga, ang layo don sa high priced ht gears ko :-[ When we bought this kind of amp there were many who said that i should have gotten the SET or just the PP since SEP is not that good, but i believe my ears better than i believe their mouths so we're enjoying this amp for almost 2yrs na ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2006 at 11:39 AM by ricky »

Offline markmlists

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4294 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 12:13 PM »
According to this article: www.decware.com/paper16.htm  EL34's can sound like a "true" triode. Its more efficient and can yield higher output than similarly implemented (?) triode. Best of all, its available and affordable.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #4295 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 12:20 PM »
The founding fathers of audio knew this before the 1940's so they invented by pouring a lot of money in research to what many audiophiles today hate, the Pentode or Tetrode. This very same (but now hated by many audiophiles) pentode ushered in the "golden Age of Hifi Audio". What could be wrong with it?What I am doing is taking a different look at the tube and see what it can do. To say that I am now listening to SEP (P for tetrode  or pentode) now with  improved dynamics, greater detail which translates to wider sound stage, yet with excellent low frequency extension and higher efficiency (means less money). Many will not agree with my approach, most likely the triode fans, but all these components, triode and pentodes, and the wealth of information left to us by the founding fathers of audio must be looked at a different perspective. Discarding nothing and trying to use all to our advantage. I do not want a debate with anyone, I am just taking the road less traveled!
WAY TO GO ! MORE POWER !!! [/b]
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2006 at 04:33 PM by oweidah »

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4296 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 10:18 PM »
Sir AMXTube,

I not being a fan of vacuum tubes am surprised that only a few people dabble in pentodes or tetrodes. I thought that the only "good" sounding ones are the triodes.

Sir, do you have a pre-release version of the pentode or tetrode based amp? Is it available for demo?

As  I mentioned pentode is the road less travelled. Pentode was king during the "Hifi Golden Age." Triodes then where used only for preamps. Pentode does have a peculiarity just like triodes, but as in Aikido, one wisely takes advantage of the force and strength of the enemy. What one sees as a disadvantage can actually become an advantage. But it is true the "Audio Band Wagon" has a triode banner today, and with a very high price tag. For a pair of 300b tube one can purchase an ss or "untriode" amp. The Model 1 pre release is in demo in my private listening room. The Model 2 is in my lab now playing in 2 channel, just completed the winding of the second output tranny. The sound is just wow to me. Not because I designed it, as I have designed lots in my lab that never saw the day but the scrap bin. This one is different. The tetrode is connected differently and uses an unconventional output transformer. The tube behaved differently from what the manual tabulated. If one would go by the manual this tube should never be used in single ended mode. But I dared.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #4297 on: Mar 24, 2006 at 04:18 AM »
But I dared.

way to go sir Andrew! balls of steel and let 'em rip!

"how it's done doesn't matter, doing it is what matters most"

you the man!

:)

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4298 on: Mar 25, 2006 at 12:05 PM »
Sir Andrew,

Kelan po kaya namin makikita at maririning itong latest creations nyo?
As I understand, protyping stage pa po ba sya or for mass pro na?
Also, pls text me the  price for a phono stage/tube regulated wth or without volume control and wat tubes to be used?
My number: 09178154267.

Congrats in advance to your new babies!

Thanks... :)

Offline sentinel808

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4299 on: Mar 25, 2006 at 01:47 PM »
Sir AMXTube,  pls. pm me the price of the AMX Allegro. Thankyou for your time and attention.

Offline ianmorales

• Collector
  • Virus stricken!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4300 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 01:02 AM »
Sir Andrew, How much is your cheapest phono stage? Yung cheapest lang kasi medyo out of budget.

Thanls sir!

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4301 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 05:49 PM »
Sir Andrew, How much is your cheapest phono stage? Yung cheapest lang kasi medyo out of budget.

Thanls sir!
We have only one mm type phono mag preamp, 1 pair 0f 12ax7 and 1 12au7 used as active power supply filter. Price is P8,500 only, but now all sold out. Check out mid april, we might have it already by then. Thank you!

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4302 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 05:53 PM »
Sir Andrew,

Kelan po kaya namin makikita at maririning itong latest creations nyo?
As I understand, protyping stage pa po ba sya or for mass pro na?
Also, pls text me the  price for a phono stage/tube regulated wth or without volume control and wat tubes to be used?
My number: 09178154267.

Congrats in advance to your new babies!

Thanks... :)

New Babies' guts, brain and heart all done and functioning. But the skins are still under construction. I want it to be as smooth looking as it sounds.

Offline izukiultra

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4303 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 12:24 PM »
Sir Andrew you have PM

Offline sentinel808

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4304 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 02:58 PM »
Sir AMXTube,  pls. pm me the price of the AMX Allegro. Thankyou for your time and attention.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4305 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 10:08 PM »

Sent you a PM fro the price. I hope you got it. We will have stock of Allegro before the week end. I have one in the burn in rack just completed this afternoon in the lab. Thank you

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4306 on: Mar 28, 2006 at 11:40 AM »
Sir Andrew,

Pls PM me the best budget price for a preamp with volume control: phono stage and 1 cd line in option
Also, may I know the maximum output level sensitivity.

My number 09178154267:

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4307 on: Mar 28, 2006 at 06:06 PM »
Andrew,

Just a follow up on my inquiry on the availability of the ALPs stereo volume pot with power switch, the one which I mentioned to you last Saturday.

Kung wala, just let me know so I can get the 500K pot.  I'll try to work on a way to fit the power switch onto it.

Thanks.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4308 on: Mar 28, 2006 at 08:26 PM »
Hi Jagner,

Sorry no more stock of dual pot with switch.

Thanks,

Andrew

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4309 on: Mar 29, 2006 at 07:50 PM »
Mr Andrew,

I used to own a 2nd hand AMX phono stage (2 12ax7 with 1 6SL7or 6sn7). Is it really a low gain amp? I need to crank up my preamp volume way past 12 oclock before I get a good level of listening. How about your upcoming phono amps? Im interested to buy again but I hope it is not the same. Thanks

Levi

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4310 on: Mar 30, 2006 at 08:33 AM »

I knew nothing is going to stop you to pursue that path as you have always been concerned with how to provide us Filipinos the lowest price yet the highest quality of sound. Not equally the same sound with far more expensive ones but what the heck........THE DETAIL, TRANSPARENCY ETC. IS  THERE!!!!  On the other hand it is also unfair to compare cause they are using far more expensive caps, wires transformers and caucasian hands! Anyway, enough for the "sipsip" what behemoth speakers did you use?

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4311 on: Mar 30, 2006 at 09:41 AM »
Mr Andrew,

I used to own a 2nd hand AMX phono stage (2 12ax7 with 1 6SL7or 6sn7). Is it really a low gain amp? I need to crank up my preamp volume way past 12 oclock before I get a good level of listening. How about your upcoming phono amps? Im interested to buy again but I hope it is not the same. Thanks

Levi
Mr Andrew,

Levi
The gainhas something to do with sensitivity of your pre amp. The output of our first model preamp was 250mv, which was designed for line amps and integrated amps with a 250mv sensitivity like oue line preamp, to minimize system noise. Over gain causes noise and distortion. We can modify this if you want to have a gain of 500mv. I think your line amp has this (350-500mv)sensitivity.

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4312 on: Mar 30, 2006 at 09:46 AM »
AMXtube: any news on the drivers you'll be bringing out?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4313 on: Mar 30, 2006 at 09:47 PM »
Thanks, Ill just wait for your new phono amp. Thanks

Offline beefjerky

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4314 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 08:58 AM »
N00b sa tubes po.  ;D Meron ba or puwede po bang kabitan ng headphone out jacks yung mga AMX tubes? thank you po.
"What?"

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4315 on: Apr 12, 2006 at 09:40 PM »
N00b sa tubes po.  ;D Meron ba or puwede po bang kabitan ng headphone out jacks yung mga AMX tubes? thank you po.

Of course, but nobody yet asked, until now. A couple of times though, I ve built tube headphone amps.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4316 on: Apr 12, 2006 at 09:59 PM »
I will be in my lab this holy week I will be working on my third "SE Beamer" Beamer is what I call the Tetrode Beam Power Tubes, an anathema to the purist triodist of course. After my success in the design of the first two models I am quite encouraged.
Design calculations says it will put out anywhere from 30-45 watts RMS of pure class A single ended power. The tube is rather large, but looks interesting. It is quite easy to drive and will not cost an arm and a leg. The tubes I got from US recently are NOS, and I was a little hesitant that it might just get extinct. But I found out that there are still new productions in China.  At this point I do not know how it will sound, wish me luck. But the sheer power available and the SE simplicity excites me. High voltage supply is quite high at the region just below 1kv! If its magic then you will get to hear it. If its lousy and just loud, then it will be the latest addition to my boat anchor collection. ;)

Offline vvt-i

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4317 on: Apr 13, 2006 at 01:28 PM »
I will be in my lab this holy week I will be working on my third "SE Beamer" Beamer is what I call the Tetrode Beam Power Tubes, an anathema to the purist triodist of course. After my success in the design of the first two models I am quite encouraged.
Design calculations says it will put out anywhere from 30-45 watts RMS of pure class A single ended power. The tube is rather large, but looks interesting. It is quite easy to drive and will not cost an arm and a leg. The tubes I got from US recently are NOS, and I was a little hesitant that it might just get extinct. But I found out that there are still new productions in China.  At this point I do not know how it will sound, wish me luck. But the sheer power available and the SE simplicity excites me. High voltage supply is quite high at the region just below 1kv! If its magic then you will get to hear it. If its lousy and just loud, then it will be the latest addition to my boat anchor collection. ;)

good luck AMXTube!  I'm also excited with your upcoming projects.  ;)

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4318 on: Apr 13, 2006 at 01:40 PM »
kelangan mapakinggan kpag natapos! :)

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4319 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 11:50 AM »
I will be in my lab this holy week I will be working on my third "SE Beamer" Beamer is what I call the Tetrode Beam Power Tubes,
Andrew,
It's an SE BMW? That that is exitting!

Andrew, do you have the intstrument to tune a FM tuner? Also do you have the time?

By the way tuloy parin yung dream tube equalizer parin ko ha? Wala palang pambayad sa iyo kaya hindi ako maka deposit. Just let the design brew in you mind first. Mas maganda paghinog na o baka hinog na? I am begining to be an equalizer balik believer again because when ever I used my vintage Sansui's triple tone control, I get to ballance the sound to my liking. Almost all engineers who did the mixing from the different recordings have different taste also. This difference will not be as obvious without your tube amps. "kasalanan mo pa pala!" Very un-audiophile ba or another falacy that audiophile don't use equalizer?