Author Topic: AMX Tube Products  (Read 680669 times)

Offline Signal2Noise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AMX Tube Products
« Reply #4410 on: Jan 17, 2007 at 08:58 AM »
Mr Andrew: Thanks for the advise re speaker upgrade. For sure I'll also take your advise re oil caps in the near future. Itch-itch, scratch-scratch!  ;) As regards the bookshelf Dynes that I've been using so far the 50watt push-pull amp has been adequate enough.

By the way, can we expect to see some AMX amps in the upcoming audio show at Mandarin this weekend?

Kinetic Audio had just recently released in the market the AMX Vivace Deluxe Tube Rectified Stereo Int. Amp (EL-34/Chrome finished with SN# 12711).  As I've learned from Phasetron, it was the refined and improved version of the original Vivace but the new model has some sort of two choke filter-type transformers, total of 5 transformers (including 1 power and 2 output) in one small package.  This baby is too d?mn heavy at 18kgs.  It uses Svetlana EL-34 pentode power tubes, Sylvania 2 X 6DJ8 classic anode follower-type, para-phase push-pull drivers,  1 x 12AX7A phase inverter & 1 x GE 5R4 full wave tube rectifier.

This amp may not be the best in its class, but it has an attitude especially if you paired it with some high sensitivity loudspeakers and surely it will rock.

On a 20-24 sqm listening room, this amp is powerful enough to define musical details, warmth and brilliance.

Play the Jazz @ the Pawnshop cd and you will  be surprised on how this amp deliver even the smallest details of the recording.

The enchanting vocal presentation of Jheena Lodwick in "All My Loving" album and you will be amazed on how this small amp expressed the brilliance of the material as if the female performer had jumped-out of the loudspeakers.

Want to hear some original analogue presentations, put Ike & Tina Turner blues mastery and you will feel the rawness of the recorded source.

Push it harder and indeed it has the ability to drive the tracks on The Cult's Electric Album.

I say, this amp is awesome.....Another excellent masterpiece by the tubeguru himself...Andrew Sevilla....8)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/solp_online/amx-vivace-dluxe5.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/solp_online/amx-vivace-dluxe4.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/solp_online/amx-vivace-deluxe.jpg

Technical Specs:
Power Supply - Tube-type full wave center tapped w/ twin choke filter
Output Configuration - Ultra-Linear connected with tertiary winding, Class A push-pull
Phase Inverter - Floating para-phase, anode coupled
Rated Power Output - 30wpc RMS @ 8 Ohms
Frequency Response - 15Hz - 35Khz (-1dB measured at 1 watt)
Frequency Response - 20Hz-20Khz (3dB measured at rated output)
THD - Less than 0.5% measured at 1 watt
Input Sensitivity - 0.35 volts for rated output
Input Impedance - 100K ohms
Noise - Less than 1.5mV
Power Consumption - 200W, 230VAC

Related Equipments Used:
1. Monitor Audio Silver 6 Floorstanding Loudspeakers (UK SN#502986)
2. Philips DVD Multi-Format Player with 24bit DAC (SN#VEB10322010271)
3. Chord UK Carnival Silver Plus Speaker Cables.
3. Live Wire (TM) Germany  &  Alpha (TM) High-Grade OFC Cable USA - DIY ICs
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2007 at 05:44 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4411 on: Jan 24, 2007 at 09:07 AM »
Guys...I need your advise.

I have an AMX phono preamp with 2pcs 12ax7 (I think) and 1 fat tube (sorry, i'm not very familiar with it) which I was able to buy second hand from one of the members here about a year and a half ago.

The preamp is working perfectly until last week when I noticed there is no sound coming from the left channel.  I checked the connections and it seems there is no loose connection anywhere.

What could be wrong with it? Help please. Thanks!
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4412 on: Jan 24, 2007 at 12:09 PM »
try switching right and left tubes (12ax7)
money is best spent

Offline AMXTube

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4413 on: Jan 26, 2007 at 10:57 AM »
If tube replacement does not work, try switching the inputs temporarily, by putting the phono left jack to the right, if the sound transfers from left to right, then check the phono cartridge, if the sound stays on the same channel then just bring over your preamp for a check up. A quick "look and see" by the makers will solve the problem. Dont worry 95% of the time its a minor problem.
driven by a passion for music

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4414 on: Jan 30, 2007 at 12:05 PM »
If tube replacement does not work, try switching the inputs temporarily, by putting the phono left jack to the right, if the sound transfers from left to right, then check the phono cartridge, if the sound stays on the same channel then just bring over your preamp for a check up. A quick "look and see" by the makers will solve the problem. Dont worry 95% of the time its a minor problem.

Will try to do that. Thanks!
B&W603 S3

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4415 on: Feb 07, 2007 at 12:52 AM »
Lots of possibilities but in my case the problem came from one of the interconnect. In  your case try switching the wires from left to right and right to left. Try checking aslo the speaker wires and so on and so forth.

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4416 on: Feb 13, 2007 at 09:01 AM »
Lots of possibilities but in my case the problem came from one of the interconnect. In  your case try switching the wires from left to right and right to left. Try checking aslo the speaker wires and so on and so forth.

Finally, I was able to replace the 12ax7 tubes...and voila!...problem fixed! :D

Thank you guys for the help.

On a side note though, I was inspecting the tubes I removed but there seemed to be no visual sign that it is busted.  Are there supposed to be visual/audible signs to indicate if a tube is dying?
B&W603 S3

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Only Taxpayer's should Vote !
  • Liked:
« Reply #4417 on: Feb 13, 2007 at 09:52 AM »
Finally, I was able to replace the 12ax7 tubes...and voila!...problem fixed! :D

Thank you guys for the help.

On a side note though, I was inspecting the tubes I removed but there seemed to be no visual sign that it is busted.  Are there supposed to be visual/audible signs to indicate if a tube is dying?

The only visual sign I know if a tube is broken is if it is basag.  ;D  Tube tester lang katapat niyan.

Sabi na nga ba na dapat 3k charge ko sa tube eh.  ;)
Only tax payer's should vote !

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4418 on: Feb 13, 2007 at 10:04 AM »
The only visual sign I know if a tube is broken is if it is basag.  ;D  Tube tester lang katapat niyan.

Hehe...Thank you bro, the 5751s sound better than the Nationals I removed.  Nice meeting you and congrats on the great sounding gears you have.  :D
B&W603 S3

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Only Taxpayer's should Vote !
  • Liked:
« Reply #4419 on: Feb 13, 2007 at 11:05 AM »
Hehe...Thank you bro, the 5751s sound better than the Nationals I removed.  Nice meeting you and congrats on the great sounding gears you have.  :D

Yes, what you have is indeed better than the National.  I just completed my entire power cord upgrade with hospital grade plugs.  Everything complete!  Next project to target: Third floor of the house dedicated to audio.  hehehe.
Only tax payer's should vote !

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #4420 on: Feb 15, 2007 at 08:57 AM »

ako rin, can do 3k? ;D ;D ;D

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4421 on: Feb 17, 2007 at 02:34 PM »
Mr AMX,

Just went to Phasetron, and auditioned the Integra 150.  I seems to fit the bill for what I need: a tube amp that can play my varied music, from rap to alternative to audiophile vocals, and has a remote control.  Plus it seems to have more than enough power to power my 89db Floorstanders (Tannoys) and it looks pretty good too.

Also I was wondering what the difference is between the Integra (75wpc) and the Allegro 120 (which is about 60wpc)?  The guy in Phasetron said that the Integra was KT90 and the Allegro was an EL34?   Which one should you consider if you had varied music tastes, and would use it also for the occasional ipod video (I download series from iTunes) and dvd watching?

Also, how much would the amps be with tone controls and without the loudness switch?  Plus a cage that I can slide on and off (since I have a 2-year old who can operate all my audio stuff when she wants to watch an episode of Barney or her latest home video).

I also have some fitment constraints (have to satisfy the wifey, and have all the audio stuff fit in the same AV cabinet).  I can only take amps that are about 47cm wide and about 37cm thick. Height is no prob since I can adjust the shelves, and just a cursory look at the amps I can say they will fit (height-wise).

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4422 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 09:10 AM »
Muy Pogi

The Integra 150 is an integrated amplifier that uses Kt88 but may be substituted with KT90 no problem. The Allegro 120 is  a  basic power amp. You will need a separate pre-amp for that. The Allegro is lower in price compared to the Integra as the EL34 is actually cheaper than KT88 or KT90. We have stopped using the KT90 as it just more expensive than the KT88 and in our listening tests did not make much difference fro the KT88.

Your requirement for a cover cage is possible for an extra cost. Metal is expensive today, thanks to China who consumes millions of tons of it. For size we can remove the side cylinder posts and it will fit the size pf your rock. Anything else the wife desires tell me.

AMX

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4423 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 08:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  So how much for these particular specs:

1) Integra 150 (remote volume and source selector)
2) KT88 tubes
3) no loudness control
4) tone controls, preferably one on each side of the central volume control
5) tube cage, can be slid out (forward) for serious listening; sliding action, no screws (pwede patong lang), but secure enough so that young fingers don't get to touch hot tubes; can be metal or wood (like the old Fisher amps)
6) max dimensions are: (W and D) 435 and 290mm
7) hopefully between 20-30k pesos
8) Kaya kaya remote turn on rin, or is this asking too much?

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4424 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 09:09 PM »
I forgot: pwede bang ganito yung tube cage -

Nangangarap lang. . .

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4425 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 09:57 PM »
We will have a little problem with the size. Size of my chassis is 432 X 305 but I will see if we could fix up the layout in another chassis. i like to maintain good distance between power tubes to prolong life of tubes.
Turn On by remote we have not tried but not impossible of course. Price can be settled privately please.

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4426 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 10:18 PM »
We will have a little problem with the size. Size of my chassis is 432 X 305 but I will see if we could fix up the layout in another chassis. i like to maintain good distance between power tubes to prolong life of tubes.
Turn On by remote we have not tried but not impossible of course. Price can be settled privately please.

Just measured my cabinet and I can accomodate your chassis size.  I was quoting the dimensions of my NAD amp, since that's what I see at the moment.

Sending you PM for the other details. .  .

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4427 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 09:54 AM »
Sir Andrew my PM po ako sa inyo.

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4428 on: Mar 14, 2007 at 01:15 PM »
Sir Andrew...Sent you PM. Thanks!
B&W603 S3

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4429 on: May 02, 2007 at 02:02 PM »
Pssst. . . may sale sa AMX on selected amps. . . bili bili na.

Just got my amp last week, pero di covered ng sale since custom made siya.

Offline Firsttube

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
AMX Tube Products
« Reply #4430 on: May 05, 2007 at 05:06 PM »
Hi, I am new in the field. Was wondering which AMX integrated Tube amp would drive best out of Triangle Antal Speakers? Specs
Floorstanding 3 way bass-reflex
25mm titanium dome tweeter
130mm midrange
2 x 160mm bass drivers
Sensitivity 91 dB/W/m
Frequency range 50-20 (+3dB Hz-kHz)
Continuous power (W) 120
Peak Power (W) 240
Nominal impedance (ohms) 8
Minimal impedance (ohms) 4.5
Dimensions (HxWxD) in: 42.5 x 8.7 x 11.7

Would be very interested your advice.
Thanks

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4431 on: May 05, 2007 at 10:30 PM »
Hi Sir Andrew.  Sent you PM.

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4432 on: May 05, 2007 at 10:35 PM »
Hi, I am new in the field. Was wondering which AMX integrated Tube amp would drive best out of Triangle Antal Speakers? Specs
130mm midrange
2 x 160mm bass drivers
Sensitivity 91 dB/W/m
Continuous power (W) 120
Peak Power (W) 240

Thanks

Depends on your musical tastes.  Based on your stats, any AMX integrated amp will be able to drive your speakers.  You can check out the EL34 (2 x 35wpc) or you can check out the KT88 amp (2 x 75wpc) that's currently on display.  Any of those can drive your speakers.  I bought the KT88, since I play varied stuff, from classical to rap.

You can also ask Sir Andrew to customise your amp.  I asked for tone controls, a tube cage, and remote volume/source control.  Some people have asked for subwoofer outs, custom exotic parts, etc.

Best is to audition the amps in Phasetron for yourself.  Look for Edwin.

HTH.

Offline Firsttube

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4433 on: May 06, 2007 at 07:26 AM »
Thank you very much for your guidance. will schedule a test.

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #4434 on: May 07, 2007 at 01:52 PM »
FirstTube...what's your musical preference?? since you have highly sensistive speakers, i suggest you consider SET amps, either 300B or 2A3...but for me, the 2A3 is the best for triangle speakers, this is just me...thanks and good luck! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Firsttube

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4435 on: May 07, 2007 at 02:37 PM »
Superman-- thank you very much for your advise. what would be the specs for  2A3? is it Push Pull Integrated Stereo Amplifier?? thanks

Offline devo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #4436 on: May 07, 2007 at 04:02 PM »
130mm midrange
2 x 160mm bass drivers
Sensitivity 91 dB/W/m
Continuous power (W) 120
Peak Power (W) 240

Thanks

Hi FirstTube,

specs of your speakers are near the specs of the one I'm using (Dali C6), you can enjoy it with a minimmum of 35 wpc (EL34 push pull) tube amp. I initially paired the speakers with a 12 wpc EL84, medyo bitin. Eventually, I settled for EL34 50wpc, BTW I have used AMX amps ever since.

DEVO
rock and roll is here to stay...........

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #4437 on: May 07, 2007 at 04:05 PM »
Superman-- thank you very much for your advise. what would be the specs for  2A3? is it Push Pull Integrated Stereo Amplifier?? thanks

would actually depend on you...try to talk to andrew...it can be a push pull 2A3, with 4 x 2A3 tubes, although i think this may be expensive...what i suggested was a 2A3 SET power amp and separate pre-amp (depends if you're into analog, include phonostage)...this is just my 2-cents...depends again on the music you listen to...plus of course your budget, thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4438 on: May 12, 2007 at 03:11 PM »
Guys, any idea on how much electricity a tube amp consumes?  Para daw plantsa because of the heater, but I would need something more concrete, as the wifey is concerned on the inevitable increase in the electric bill.  Sagot ko daw yung sosobra sa usual monthly. . . :-(

My amp's a 75wpc KT88, with quad KT88s and four preamp tubes (GE and Sovtek if I'm not mistaken).  I use it in the evenings, but bulk of the use is when my daughter watches her Barney DVDs during the day. 

Using Meralco's appliance calculator, a 600W flat iron used 6 hours a day, 7 days a week would cost P950 to run per month.

My old SS NAD 320 BEE by my estimates consumes 345w (230 volts x 1.5 amps) using the same calculation comes out to P550.

So my extra bill is P400. 

But assuming the AMX is a 1000 watter, it would cost P1,600 to run, and would cost me an extra P1,050 to run.

Tama ba?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007 at 03:40 PM by muypogi »

Offline christineG

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Must... collect... DVDs...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4439 on: May 13, 2007 at 07:14 AM »
Guys, any idea on how much electricity a tube amp consumes?  Para daw plantsa because of the heater, but I would need something more concrete, as the wifey is concerned on the inevitable increase in the electric bill.  Sagot ko daw yung sosobra sa usual monthly. . . :-(

My amp's a 75wpc KT88, with quad KT88s and four preamp tubes (GE and Sovtek if I'm not mistaken).  I use it in the evenings, but bulk of the use is when my daughter watches her Barney DVDs during the day. 

Using Meralco's appliance calculator, a 600W flat iron used 6 hours a day, 7 days a week would cost P950 to run per month.

My old SS NAD 320 BEE by my estimates consumes 345w (230 watts x 1.5 amps) using the same calculation comes out to P550.

So my extra bill is P400. 

But assuming the AMX is a 1000 watter, it would cost P1,600 to run, and would cost me an extra P1,050 to run.

Tama ba?

Whoever told you that a tube amp runs like a plantsa because of the heaters does not know what he is talking about. The KT88 has 6.3V heater and each tube consumes 1.6Amps, so that is 10.08 watts per tube, 40 for the KT88s, let us say 6.3V din at around .3 amp yung mga driver tubes, so around 1.89 watts, let us say 2 watts each, so 8 watts for 4 tubes, 48 watts na tayo sa heaters. Hehehe... saan may plantsa na 48 watts?

I don't think your tube amp will consume more than 500 watts. Most likely around 350.

Why don't you ask Andrew for the power consumption of your AMX amp?

--AlexG
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007 at 07:27 AM by christineG »
Got root?