Author Topic: AMX Tube Products  (Read 680222 times)

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: AMX Tube Products
« Reply #4530 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 10:58 PM »
sir, i just bought an AMX stereo line pre amp last friday (night). And during test ko earlier, i found out na distorted (am not sure if this is the proper term) yung sound pag nasa 6 and up na yung volume nung pre-amp. nde naman malakas volume nung receiver/amp ko, in fact nasa around -50db lang yung volume nya.
Though most likely nde naman aabot ng 6 yung volume setting ng pre-amp ko, (baka nasa 3 lang lagi kasi may sariling volume control naman yung receiver/amp ko), medyo nagaalala lang ako dahil baka eto pa yung maging cause nung iba pang possible failure in the future nung amp.
kindly advise. can i have it replaced rather than fixed? baka kasi mas matagal kung i-fix e, 2 days pa lang naman sakin. thanks

Actually, I'm guessing you're driving an AVR or a 2 channel receiver amp.  Preamps are supposed to drive power amps.  You damage your AVR of you continue to use the preamp.  Unless your receiver/AVR has a power amp mode, you'd be best off either using the receiver as stand-alone or getting a proper power amp.

Offline ledrahc

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Rock and Roll!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4531 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 11:38 PM »
The preamp you purchased has an output level of 8 volts maximum. Now your HK integrated amp has a sensitivity of 0.5 volts. There you go, when you crank up the volume of the preamp, you will overdrive and clip your HK integrated amp. Easy does it, the AMX preamp isdesigned to drive power amp. We can install an output attenuator if you like.

Sir Andrew, thanks for the input earlier... newbie pa talaga.. ;D

Offline ledrahc

• Collector
  • Rock and Roll!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4532 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 11:45 PM »
i do have another question po mga master, (hehe sir Matz :) )
I've read kasi sa isang thread that it's possible to use yung Bada 2 channel SS Integrated amp, as power amp.
pwede ba eto setup ko instead of buying a power amp. Actually my main goal is to use the integrated amp lang when playing rock or pop type of music, then padaanin ko naman sa tube preamp kung classical or instrumental...

Offline gobingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4533 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 05:30 PM »
sir AMXTUBE,

NEWBIE here from mindanao. what Tube Amp/preamp set up for my Wharfedale diamond 9.5 89db 150w or mission m73 89db floorstanding speaker? i want a tube amp with a bass and treble control. is it ok for a bank to bank transaction freight collect here. thanks sir.

Offline docsialu

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • with no power, comes no responsibility
  • Liked:
« Reply #4534 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 07:33 AM »
sir gobingo,

ot lang, saan kayo sa mindanao?  :)
ako taga cotabato

Offline gobingo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4535 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 08:18 AM »
docsialu sir,

im from Butuan City kmusta cotabato sir!!

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4536 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 08:10 PM »
Please call, I am giving on discount a monoblock EL34, output 60 wattsRMS, I think it can drive those cantons pretty well.

Sir,

could you PM me price for those monoblocks that are on sale? A friend might be interested.

Thanks.

Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4537 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 11:22 PM »
Question lang Sir Andrew, pwede bang i-substitute safely yung Tung Sol 6550 sa EH KT88 sa AMX Integra 150 ko?  Thanks!

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4538 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 09:11 AM »

sir AMXTUBE,

NEWBIE here from mindanao. what Tube Amp/preamp set up for my Wharfedale diamond 9.5 89db 150w or mission m73 89db floorstanding speaker? i want a tube amp with a bass and treble control. is it ok for a bank to bank transaction freight collect here. thanks sir.

Please consider that when you need to repair  the tube amp, freight from Mindanao to Manila and back will cost you.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2008 at 09:12 AM by RU9 »

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #4539 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 10:18 AM »
amxtube,

sir i am new here in the tube thing, want to try one.  please pm quotation of your products.  also saan na po new store ninyo?  ano po ba advise ninyo hybrid amp or tube cd player (that will give the most tube-y sound), tnx.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4540 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 09:33 PM »
amxtube,

sir i am new here in the tube thing, want to try one.  please pm quotation of your products.  also saan na po new store ninyo?  ano po ba advise ninyo hybrid amp or tube cd player (that will give the most tube-y sound), tnx.

The new showroom/store is KINETIC AUDIO, level 2 forum Robinsons Edsa corner Pioneer, Mandaluyong. Using equipment with vacuum tubes in your audio chain always has an effect on the sound style, in varying degrees. The maximum tube effect can be realized in the power amplifier. The next in the chain will be the pre amplifier. The least in my observation is the CD player. The best is still tube all the way. I suggest you start with the power amplifier. Even solid state preamps sound good with tube power amplifiers. according to tests I have heard so far.
driven by a passion for music

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4541 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 10:32 PM »
Sir,

could you PM me price list of tube power amp and integrated amp around 25w to 35w?

Thanks.

Jason
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2008 at 12:47 AM by jpeg »
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline highwayman

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4542 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 10:39 PM »
The new showroom/store is KINETIC AUDIO, level 2 forum Robinsons Edsa corner Pioneer, Mandaluyong. Using equipment with vacuum tubes in your audio chain always has an effect on the sound style, in varying degrees. The maximum tube effect can be realized in the power amplifier. The next in the chain will be the pre amplifier. The least in my observation is the CD player. The best is still tube all the way. I suggest you start with the power amplifier. Even solid state preamps sound good with tube power amplifiers. according to tests I have heard so far.

how about tube pre-amps sir with SS power amps?

Offline miniracer

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4543 on: Mar 15, 2008 at 10:09 PM »

how about tube pre-amps sir with SS power amps?

quite interested with your opinion on this sir AMX. been thinking of getting a tube preamp for my SS amp.  ;)

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4544 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 05:36 AM »
quite interested with your opinion on this sir AMX. been thinking of getting a tube preamp for my SS amp.  ;)
It works wonders too. Most specially if preamp is pure tube, meaning the power supply is tube rectified. Also, I know many audiophiles don"t like tone controls but  its great to tweak a little with these controls to get the desired sound style than tweak with wallet breaking interconnect cables which work like passive eq's anyway. Put some controls in your finger tips, nothing is perfect in this world. I have heard vinyls and CD recordings with different tonal quality on different cuts on the same album. In my experience and humble opinion, the audiophile hated tone controls can make your sound bloom. At the end of the day, don't let anyone dictate how you should listen to your music! Be free to enjoy it they way you like to here the music.

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #4545 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 01:25 PM »
It works wonders too. Most specially if preamp is pure tube, meaning the power supply is tube rectified. Also, I know many audiophiles don"t like tone controls but  its great to tweak a little with these controls to get the desired sound style than tweak with wallet breaking interconnect cables which work like passive eq's anyway. Put some controls in your finger tips, nothing is perfect in this world. I have heard vinyls and CD recordings with different tonal quality on different cuts on the same album. In my experience and humble opinion, the audiophile hated tone controls can make your sound bloom. At the end of the day, don't let anyone dictate how you should listen to your music! Be free to enjoy it the way you like to here the music.

Agree!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #4546 on: Mar 18, 2008 at 12:33 PM »

Sir AMXTube,

please send me a quotation of your most appropriate tube amp or int amp for my b&w dm302, a bookshelf-type with a 91 sensitivity.  if possible pls also post a photo of the products.  pls. also include the price of a tube cd buffer since i don't want to dispose my old harman cdp. thanks.

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #4547 on: Mar 18, 2008 at 03:20 PM »
Sir AMXTube,

please send me a quotation of your most appropriate tube amp or int amp for my b&w dm302, a bookshelf-type with a 91 sensitivity.  if possible pls also post a photo of the products.  pls. also include the price of a tube cd buffer since i don't want to dispose my old harman cdp. thanks.

Uy! we're using the same speaker.

share ko lang. last week, i was able to talked (over the phone) to sir andrew about this. DM302's nominal impedance is 8 ohms (minimum 3.2ohms). according to him, even though it's 91 dB importante pa rin to take note of that 3.2 ohms. Kaya he suggested a 60 watter. meron silang "nilulutong" tube amp with sub out. magandang abangan yun. plus, may speaker din tayong aabangan sa kanila, as in "lutong-bahay" din. malapit na daw. :-)

ok kausap si sir Andrew.

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4548 on: Apr 12, 2008 at 09:21 PM »
It works wonders too. Most specially if preamp is pure tube, meaning the power supply is tube rectified. Also, I know many audiophiles don"t like tone controls but  its great to tweak a little with these controls to get the desired sound style than tweak with wallet breaking interconnect cables which work like passive eq's anyway. Put some controls in your finger tips, nothing is perfect in this world. I have heard vinyls and CD recordings with different tonal quality on different cuts on the same album. In my experience and humble opinion, the audiophile hated tone controls can make your sound bloom. At the end of the day, don't let anyone dictate how you should listen to your music! Be free to enjoy it they way you like to here the music.

Sir Andrew, some hypothetical questions:

1) Would it be possible for you to make a hi-power SET amp using this tube:

http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-2a3-40.html

2) With these features:

- same form factor as the KT88 PP Integra 150 you did for me last year
- with tone control and tone bypass switch
- remote source and volume control
- sub out jacks
- tube cage
- bias meter - either analog or digital
- tube cage
- either heavy duty conventional transformers or toriod type
- looks like this:

3) potential "damage" to the pocket
4) Max power output for this kind of amp
5) will there be any difference to the sound of the KT88 amp? Will it be just as versatile playing all kinds of music?

Thanks!

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #4549 on: Apr 12, 2008 at 10:27 PM »
Hi muypogi! Just a question, when you say "hi-powered" 2A3 amp? Most 2A3 amps are designed as SET, and mostly SET amplifiers are low powered...and normally (depending on the circuit), 2A3 amps are 2-3 watts if SET, and probably 8-9watts if push pull (requiring 4 pieces of 2A3 tubes)...Good luck on your SET amp! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4550 on: Apr 13, 2008 at 02:12 AM »
Hi muypogi! Just a question, when you say "hi-powered" 2A3 amp? Most 2A3 amps are designed as SET, and mostly SET amplifiers are low powered...and normally (depending on the circuit), 2A3 amps are 2-3 watts if SET, and probably 8-9watts if push pull (requiring 4 pieces of 2A3 tubes)...Good luck on your SET amp! :D

Sorry, what I meant was the highest power rating you can get from a SET 2A3 amp. Was looking at SET amps and the highest I've seen them go was below 10wpc.  Was wondering how far you could push the envelope with the 300B/2A3 tubes in SET, or with SET as a topology in general. Medyo mahal yung PP config pag 2A3 or 300B yung ginagamit, but I'd be intrigued on how it sounds though.  Aesthetically speaking, those big tubes are quite a sight to behold.

Or baka ma-miss ko nga yung KT88 punch? 

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4551 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 12:07 PM »
Sorry, what I meant was the highest power rating you can get from a SET 2A3 amp. Was looking at SET amps and the highest I've seen them go was below 10wpc.  Was wondering how far you could push the envelope with the 300B/2A3 tubes in SET, or with SET as a topology in general. Medyo mahal yung PP config pag 2A3 or 300B yung ginagamit, but I'd be intrigued on how it sounds though.  Aesthetically speaking, those big tubes are quite a sight to behold.

Or baka ma-miss ko nga yung KT88 punch? 

A 2A3 in a Class A (SE) would give you around 2.5 watts/ch, around 4-5 watts/ch if you put in on PP. 

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4552 on: Apr 16, 2008 at 01:27 PM »
Given all the answers, so a high power SET amp must use different tubes to at least exceed 20wpc.  Kaya kayang gawin dito sa Pinas ito: 

deHavilland Stereo 845 Design Specifications:

power output-------------25 watts RMS into 8 ohm per channel
output class -------------Class A
bandwidth  ---------------20Hz - 35 kHz
power triode  ------------2 X Type 845
driver tube   --------------2 X 6AU5
voltage amp -------------2 X 6SN7/GTA/GTB
feedback  ----------------Zero negative feedback
input impedance-------50k ohms (Values from 10k to 500k available on request)
residual hum------------Less than 2mv.
warm-up------------------Automatic time delay for long tube life and gentle startup
dimensions-------------18.5"W x 19"L x 10"H
weight---------------------64 lbs

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4553 on: Apr 16, 2008 at 01:54 PM »
Given all the answers, so a high power SET amp must use different tubes to at least exceed 20wpc.  Kaya kayang gawin dito sa Pinas ito: 

deHavilland Stereo 845 Design Specifications:

power output-------------25 watts RMS into 8 ohm per channel
output class -------------Class A
bandwidth  ---------------20Hz - 35 kHz
power triode  ------------2 X Type 845
driver tube   --------------2 X 6AU5
voltage amp -------------2 X 6SN7/GTA/GTB
feedback  ----------------Zero negative feedback
input impedance-------50k ohms (Values from 10k to 500k available on request)
residual hum------------Less than 2mv.
warm-up------------------Automatic time delay for long tube life and gentle startup
dimensions-------------18.5"W x 19"L x 10"H
weight---------------------64 lbs

Locally made 845 SET amp?  I haven't seen this in Andrew's arsenal but a similar amp has been completed by Mang Rod.

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #4554 on: Apr 16, 2008 at 05:24 PM »
Yup, saw an amx 845 SET before.
Try checking with Andrew.

Offline masterjericho

• Collector
  • kung gusto, me paraan. kung ayaw, me dahilan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4555 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 10:06 PM »
hi amxtube,

just bought an stereo line tube preamp at kinetic,  ;D

after setting up and did some audio listening,

me na observed akong kakaiba e,

pag nahahawakan ko yun volume knob,

im hearing grounded sound on the speakers.

any advise?

current set up below:

ipod > amx tube pre amp > bada power amp > speakers
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2008 at 10:18 PM by masterjericho »
yam440
wharf 8' & 9'
velo cht12r
amxtube pre amp
bada pwr amp

Offline ledrahc

• Collector
  • Rock and Roll!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4556 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 01:04 PM »
halos pareho tayo setup sir masterjericho a.. hehe
yung sakin naman, ive noticed na anlaki ng gap between level nung volume control. halos 1 guhit pa lang ako lampas sa "1" nung volume knob, anlakas na... hehe, sayo po ba? gaya nde ko pa nasubukan lumagpas ng "1" e. kasi after nya, laki na ng gap ng volume..

Offline masterjericho

• Collector
  • kung gusto, me paraan. kung ayaw, me dahilan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4557 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 01:52 PM »
hmm... paran ala naman akong na observed na gap...

kasi ramdam ko naman yun mga click pag iniincreasan yun volume....

mostly hanggang 10 o'clock lan ako sa volume eh... lakas na... masasabi ko lang...

ganda pakinggan yung "hell freezes over"

hehe i just feel concerned san galing yun grounded na tunog...

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2008 at 01:52 PM by masterjericho »
yam440
wharf 8' & 9'
velo cht12r
amxtube pre amp
bada pwr amp

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4558 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 10:38 PM »
hi amxtube,

just bought an stereo line tube preamp at kinetic,  ;D

after setting up and did some audio listening,

me na observed akong kakaiba e,

pag nahahawakan ko yun volume knob,

im hearing grounded sound on the speakers.

Master Jericho, paki check kung grounded ang preamp sa poweramp. If grounding is not good you get that effect, kasi baka na semi floated ang preamp. You can bring in the preamp, we can check if the shaft of the volume control needs additional grounding.

any advise?

current set up below:

ipod > amx tube pre amp > bada power amp > speakers

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4559 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 10:53 PM »
Sir Andrew, some hypothetical questions:

1) Would it be possible for you to make a hi-power SET amp using this tube:

http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-2a3-40.html

A 2A3 set gives you a powerful 3.5 watts per channel, unless you have the likes Klipshhorn 101db 1w/1m sensitive loudspeakers, for guys who play loud you can forget this tube, but it is one of the most musical tube ever created. A thing with tube Hifi, the lower the power the more delicate and beautiful is the sound quality, but you need very sensitive loudspeakers, that is if you enjoy the delicateness of music. But many enjoy the wham rather than the inner detail. In my experience the delicateness disappears when the power goes up.

An alternative is the 845 tube, or 211 transmitter tubes, it can spit out 24 watts in class A, but again it has its own kind of sound much different from the 2a3 or even the 300B. This tube is not very child friendly, if you have kids at home, a word of caution. Its HOT, enough to be used as a bread warmer, and sucks up a lot of precious electric power. Things you need to consider, but its an option.

2) With these features:

- same form factor as the KT88 PP Integra 150 you did for me last year
- with tone control and tone bypass switch
- remote source and volume control
- sub out jacks
- tube cage
- bias meter - either analog or digital
- tube cage
- either heavy duty conventional transformers or toriod type
- looks like this:

3) potential "damage" to the pocket
4) Max power output for this kind of amp
5) will there be any difference to the sound of the KT88 amp? Will it be just as versatile playing all kinds of music?

Thanks!