Author Topic: AMX Tube Products  (Read 680530 times)

Offline bz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AMX Tube Products
« Reply #4560 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 02:49 PM »
Went to Robinsons and tried listening to the newly assembled el84 with the home brewed back loaded speakers.  When I first heard these speakers there were something that i notice regarding the high freq. region and specially the lacking of the lower region of the frequencies. Guess what when I put in the FIM audiophile CD? EUREKA!!!. The speakers were really perperforming far beyond my expectation. I found out that my previous negative comments was caused only by the recording i was listening to. The frequencies are all there a little bit thin but for the price it's all THERE!!! It was a well ballance speakers. If you are the type who likes over thumping of the bass line these are not for you. But if you like the natural easeness of the bass lines and the clarity of the high frequencies these are as natural as you can get. I tried listening to some other cd's the problem came back. Good buy for the price in fact far better. By the way this is my listening oppinion only.

Offline AMXTube

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4561 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 09:12 PM »
Good cd's will sound good in "honest sounding systems" and bad cds will show how bad the recording engineer was with his work. Sayang there are too many good performers but rather few good recording engineers. The problem is the star is the only person that is celebrated, and the recording or audio engineer gets a mini print of his unknown name somewhere at the back of the cd cover if ever. So very few want to excel at all. They just pickup the money and go.They are unsung heroes. To prove my point name me ten good recording engineers you know. You can name ten good singers(artists) quickly but not the former.
driven by a passion for music

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4562 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 09:17 PM »
Went to Robinsons and tried listening to the newly assembled el84 with the home brewed back loaded speakers.  When I first heard these speakers there were something that i notice regarding the high freq. region and specially the lacking of the lower region of the frequencies. Guess what when I put in the FIM audiophile CD? EUREKA!!!. The speakers were really perperforming far beyond my expectation. I found out that my previous negative comments was caused only by the recording i was listening to. The frequencies are all there a little bit thin but for the price it's all THERE!!! It was a well ballance speakers. If you are the type who likes over thumping of the bass line these are not for you. But if you like the natural easeness of the bass lines and the clarity of the high frequencies these are as natural as you can get. I tried listening to some other cd's the problem came back. Good buy for the price in fact far better. By the way this is my listening oppinion only.
Oh by the way, the amp you auditioned was the Sonatina EL84. Its our best selling amp, but we have only two pcs. left out of the 50 units we built.

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4563 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 09:47 PM »
first of all a big congratulation. Proudly pinoy!!! Don't need to be swayed by the made in other countries brand or a system that will cost an arm and a leg.....even both legs or even the whole body. It's a case of David vs the Goliath. The EL 84 is really good and with those back loaded box it's a perfect match.  Romeo and Juliet? I challenge you guys out there and take a listen for yourself. If you find them other than what I heard, I guess it's about time to have a check up with my ear doctors. It's been a while since I see him. hahaha.  I think I have to bring my el 84 and find out how it will sound with those speakers.   

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4564 on: Apr 30, 2008 at 02:54 PM »
Good cd's will sound good in "honest sounding systems" and bad cds will show how bad the recording engineer was with his work. Sayang there are too many good performers but rather few good recording engineers. The problem is the star is the only person that is celebrated, and the recording or audio engineer gets a mini print of his unknown name somewhere at the back of the cd cover if ever. So very few want to excel at all. They just pickup the money and go.They are unsung heroes. To prove my point name me ten good recording engineers you know. You can name ten good singers(artists) quickly but not the former.

Yup, that really sums it up  :)

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4565 on: May 02, 2008 at 01:43 PM »
Therefore: bad cd remains bad reproduction if system is not good or well match. Good cd remains bad if system is not also good?

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4566 on: May 02, 2008 at 02:06 PM »
Is this possible?

same speaker, same cd player, playing cd 1 with amp 1 = little bass
same speaker, same cd player, playing cd 1 with amp 2 = more bass

same speaker, same cd player, playing cd 2 with amp 1 = more bass
same speaker, same cd player, playing cd 2 with amp 2 = little bass

If possible, why?

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4567 on: May 02, 2008 at 08:17 PM »
Is this possible?

same speaker, same cd player, playing cd 1 with amp 1 = little bass
same speaker, same cd player, playing cd 1 with amp 2 = more bass

same speaker, same cd player, playing cd 2 with amp 1 = more bass
same speaker, same cd player, playing cd 2 with amp 2 = little bass

If possible, why?
mahirap yata ang equation hehe. What I know Cd players are not all the same, so are amps and loudspeakers. But cd's vary in alignment, most specially the burn one. You could play it in your computer and it sounds good, but in another cd player it sounds thin or lack bass. I think it has to do with alignment, but I could be wrong.

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4568 on: May 03, 2008 at 08:04 AM »
The CD is the culprit in the above equation?

A never ending quest for the ultimate perfect sound huh? I guess to each his own in approaching this ultimate nirvana also huh? Mine in my own experience will be these priority in achieving what I believe is best in listening to good music:
1. Go for a live concert on your favorite artist.
2. Buy a good speaker or amps whichever will give you the first opportunity to get one. (case will be when budget is limited)
3. Get a midle of the road cd player (good quality player is getting cheaper and cheaper)
4. Get ordinary oxygyn free cables with the purest copper you can find
5. Buy as much cd you can be that you like if you go for diversity or stick to a few audiophile cd if you are analytical in listening to music or ballance of both to your liking.
5. Earn more money and upgrade any of the above

Any suggestions and experience out there?

By the way will getting an amp with tone control minimize the search for ultimate matching cables or is it just a compromise?

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4569 on: May 04, 2008 at 10:33 PM »
I believe tone controls are to be used only as a way of compensating or correcting to ones taste the recording quality and should never be used for equipment shortcomings. A well set up system should sound great without resorting to tone controls, assuming you have the right recordings. Also when listening to less than ideal formats, like mp3 recording, a little tone control will do the trick of finding musical satisfaction from your system.
Cables and connectors that is another animal altogether. There are good cables and bad cables are the ones that deteriorate the signal. But the degree of goodness is something left to the buyers ear, that I cannOt question, it is his ear and not mine. iF IT PLEASES YOU THEN THATS IT.

Offline Heist

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4570 on: May 11, 2008 at 10:42 PM »
sir andrew can you design a system for me?

i want a player that can support media formats DVD, SACD, HDCD, CD
( A dvd player that's also an SACD player w/ 24 bit/192khz sampling ) is there such a thing? ???
Amp: Tube amp
Speakers : 2 Floor Standing 2/3 way with a pretty high sensitivity and a separate or integrated sub 8-10"

This would be versatile since i live in a small place (all in about 30 sqm)
Price : normal to average or should we say "bang for the buck" for its sound and its price

I want the characteristics of a tube Amp because of its warm and life-like sound, but i am falso ond of watching movies even though the sound would come from 2.1 channels.

Artists that i enjoy listening to: Jacintha (especially the Autumn Leaves Album), Alison Krauss, Noon, Emi Fujita/Le Couple, Pat Coil, JB Project, James Newton Howard - more of Vocal and Dynamic.  ( would these two be contradicting on tubes? ).

Seeking for you advise.. you may post the Equipment here and please pm me the breakdown and the price.

Thank you very much!

Ps. please complete everything including the wires (as it would greatly influence the system) and if any or necessary to protect the system- line conditioners )

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4571 on: May 19, 2008 at 08:33 PM »
Sent you a PM

Offline Heist

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4572 on: May 22, 2008 at 01:50 AM »
just got my KT88 SIngle ended tube amp at Kinetic audio the other day

i never expected that i would actually be getting an amplifier that same day.  ive auditioned and auditioned and visited a lot of stores and those AMX tube amps performed more than i expected! And way better than the more expensive ones!

Good Price, friendly and knowledgeable sales People (and when i say this with an emphasis on real assistance, they never get tired of waiting - and pretty honest on what they say!).

Definitely, you get your hard-earned money's worth!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
( And yes, you can swipe the amps with your credit cards  ;D )

Hats Off to your AMX amps Andrew! Thanks to you and RJ
Will definitely get another tube amp in the near future

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4573 on: May 22, 2008 at 08:44 AM »
Heist, congrats!

What are the tube complement?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008 at 08:51 AM by alexg »
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline mike288

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4574 on: May 22, 2008 at 09:17 AM »

i never expected that i would actually be getting an amplifier that same day.  ive auditioned and auditioned and visited a lot of stores and those AMX tube amps performed more than i expected! And way better than the more expensive ones!

Good Price, friendly and knowledgeable sales People (and when i say this with an emphasis on real assistance, they never get tired of waiting - and pretty honest on what they say!).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

amen :D

shall i say that im the next in line to buy your amp? just in case you upgrade ahhahah!!!

thanks sir andrew for the warm welcome and for the words of wisdom we gathered from you.

even if we kept on changing amps and speakers during the audition you endlessly gave us options.

that single ended amp sure is one hell of a performer.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4575 on: May 22, 2008 at 07:53 PM »
Thank you guys, for supporting our vision that "pinoys can do!" Enjoy the music and be happy you are pinoy! If I succeed then I shall not succeed alone but with the rest of us  pinoys.

Offline Heist

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4576 on: May 22, 2008 at 10:10 PM »
Thanks again Andrew galing talaga! More than and far from the other makes... exceptional!

thanks sir alexg, theyre Kt88's.

Mike288 and i scouted for floor mounted drivers today, we heard some tube amps... nothing can compare!

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4577 on: May 22, 2008 at 11:30 PM »
Heist, may I ask what speakers are you going to use it with those KT88?

Mike288 Which single ended are you refering to? Newly delivered?

Offline Heist

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4578 on: May 23, 2008 at 01:11 AM »

im looking at jm labs for the mean time, i have auditioned a couple but so far jm labs suits my taste, next wld be monitor audio for audi  :)

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #4579 on: May 23, 2008 at 06:54 AM »

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

very nice indeed!

sir can you PM the price  ;D (or price list for entry level tube amps) and can it drive a pair of speaker without an amp (a newbie question) say a wharfedale bookshelf?

thanks! interested in getting a budget tube amp but has little knowledge. im considering the dared     VP-16 but upon seeing this post it really got me interested.

tia!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4580 on: May 23, 2008 at 08:52 AM »
Sir Andrew,

What are the tubes used in this amp?

Thanks.

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4581 on: May 23, 2008 at 07:58 PM »
KT88, 12Ax7, 6SN7 and 5AR4

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4582 on: May 23, 2008 at 09:58 PM »
sir can you PM the price  ;D (or price list for entry level tube amps)
[/quote]

Come to think of it these AMX tube amps may be called entry level tube amps by some but they are by no means ENTRY LEVEL TUBE AMPS!!! If I am not mistaken there is one who even change his highly rated Sonic Frontiers for an AMX preamp! The entry level amp (if price is your means of rating) is NO ENTRY LEVEL when it comes to sound. Maybe you can start with an integrated tube amps first then let your ears decide where it will lead you.

Offline mike288

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4583 on: May 24, 2008 at 09:57 AM »

i was with heist when he bought the amp from kinetic audio what makes me go wow is the

amount of detail and body this amp that sir andrew has created. AMAZING! i have heard some

tube amps with pre amps (conrad johnsons) and the body is somehow lacking, then again

audio is very subjective. this amp can rival most of the 100k plus amps and to top it all off

it hasnt even been broken in hehehe. sir andrew thank you for creating such a masterpiece.

we also heard another amp which andrew has made, its very detailed in reproducing frequency

ranges @ 700hz up and even made us consider getting that amp instead (its 10k php lower in price) but

what the heck heist wants the best and thats what he got  ::)

il try to make a review of the amp as soon as i can, and btw the blue glow on the kt88 is priceless  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008 at 10:03 AM by mike288 »

Offline mike288

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4584 on: May 24, 2008 at 10:09 AM »
very nice indeed!

sir can you PM the price  ;D (or price list for entry level tube amps) and can it drive a pair of speaker without an amp (a newbie question) say a wharfedale bookshelf?

thanks! interested in getting a budget tube amp but has little knowledge. im considering the dared     VP-16 but upon seeing this post it really got me interested.

tia!

i currently am using a dared mp5 hybrid amplifier im very happy with it (gainclone) the vp - 16 is almost

at the same price range as the amplifier i suggest you get this as for the price sir andrew is very

accommodating ;) 

the wharfedales just wont do for tube amps, look for speakers with at least 87db sensitivity or higher

ive tried the 8.4's on the mp5 and the volume is almost @ the 2 o clock position just to make

it audible :( not good. 

the usher speakers that sir andrew has is very nice tho ;D

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4585 on: May 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM »
...snip...
il try to make a review of the amp as soon as i can, and btw the blue glow on the kt88 is priceless  ;D

Most blue glow on tubes are not good. Are these from the inside of the tube?  ;)

Is there a blue LED lighting the tube?

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4586 on: May 24, 2008 at 10:14 PM »
KT88, 12Ax7, 6SN7 and 5AR4

Ok thanks.

6SN7 part of the psu?

Offline mike288

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4587 on: May 25, 2008 at 11:08 PM »
Most blue glow on tubes are not good. Are these from the inside of the tube?  ;)

Is there a blue LED lighting the tube?

http://www.jacmusic.com/html/articles/blueglow/blueglow.htm

borrowed it from wiredstate.com

HTH  ;D

there is no LED lighting the tube  ;)

Offline AMXTube

• Collector
  • I am back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4588 on: May 27, 2008 at 09:49 PM »
Blue glows inside tubes are not bad news at all.  These are electrons hitting the glass envelopes and shows off the blue glow, what is bad in power tubes is a pink colored glow which indicates a gassy tube. Blue is harmless,  and does not affect the sound at all. Many people look for it and like it. But there is another blue that we look for, for us guys who worked with tubes since the 1960's.  It is the pale blue light that can be seen through the anode windows of the tube. This is the electron flow from cathode to plate. You need to darken the room and look closely, and be careful not to burn your nose, hehe. :D I have observed this particularly in the EL84's and EL34's Just a little trivia to share with you tube lovers. May your tribe increase. The Sylvania tube manual if you can get hold of one discusses this blue glow phenomena.

Offline bz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4589 on: May 27, 2008 at 10:15 PM »
they sound better with the Blues?..... corny ba?