Author Topic: Pinoy Bluray Discs - what's keeping local film makers from adopting the format.  (Read 14847 times)

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
Bluray Disc offers superior quality on both sound and picture, with zoom in clarity to show the in details even the slightest imperfections especially on close up shots.

I am curious if there are any BD titles planned for Filipino Films, or if none, what's keeping our film makers to release in BD (or remakes)
is it a technical limitation of how we Filipinos shoot films here (camera we use, audio formaats to provide 5.1 formats)
is it a limitation on cost of producing BD over DVD ?

I recall growing up with black and white films that hit the tube (Nivico TV :) ) but i never saw reruns of those, i can only imagine the cause was we failed to store the film original properly or we used poor media then that did not survive the passing of time.

@mods, kindly relocate if its posted in the wrong section. regards
toy

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This is my dream also for some of our Filipino classic films. The good news is Ishmael Bernal's HIMALA is now in hi definition according to a Cinema One insider. I dont know if they have plans to release it in bd which is the best format right now.

Soon to follow are the remaining Experimental Cinema of the Philippines classics like ORO PLATA MATA which in my book, the best Filipino film ever made, SOLTERO & MISTERYO SA TUWA.
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
The problem is they cannot even come up with a fairly decent DVD release of the latest movies let alone the classics. What they would need is a working print in perfect condition for a 4K restoration then remaster the soundtrack to 24 bit Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Stereo. I don't think the video manufacturers would spend so much money for a Blu-ray of a movie that has already been released on DVD. Someone from Star Records and Video said why would they release an old movie when nobody buys them...

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
It is unfortunate if they wont release or at least compile, digitize, para preserve what's remaining from those years  kasi it captures a lot from those periods. I am sure i have missed out a lot of worthwhile films to watch. If they cannot even move to BD, at least make a compilation kahit in mono or stereo of what's available.

I am sure we still have a lot of nice places here in the Philippines that may serve as their background scenes and capturing them on film, even for just a glimpse, makes us proud.  And capture and admire the row of houses made from a certain period of pinoy history, like one of those i drove along in a town proper in northern Bulacan. Kahit pa nahaluan ng patches of modern renovations,  and ganda, ideal for some film to do some work there.

Its nice to see and how filipino films have evolved in techniques.

For newer films, will it cost studio more if they go out and already take advantage of BD or HD-DVD ?

« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2012 at 09:47 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
There's also the lack of available copies. Most of the movies from the 70's and 80's are only available on either Betamax, VHS and U-Matic which were used as source materials for some of the DVD and VCD releases from Paragon and Aquarius. These movies cannot even be transferred onto any digital format due to their low analog resolution.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I don't know but I might be wrong, I've read in broadsheets before that Yam Laranas' THE ROAD will be the first Filipino film to be release on blu ray format.

And since we are talking about milestone, Quark Henares' GAMITAN was the first Pinoy film on dvd format. Never mind what the critics said about that film.  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2012 at 03:16 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Not sure if the movie is good enough to merit a Blu-ray release, after all his last film outing was terrible...

Offline HDMI

• Collector
  • Liked:
Its likely a cost issue. Like how many of our kababayans own BD players at the least (plus hidef tv's & audio equipments)? Then among these folks, how many of them are willing purchase Filipino films? I think DVDs are still more accessible to most Pinoys. I wonder how are the sales of Filipino DVD movies. Maybe studios aren't earning from DVD sales as much as ticket sales sa movie theaters. It would be nice to have some classics available in BDs though.

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Its likely a cost issue. Like how many of our kababayans own BD players at the least (plus hidef tv's & audio equipments)? Then among these folks, how many of them are willing purchase Filipino films? I think DVDs are still more accessible to most Pinoys. I wonder how are the sales of Filipino DVD movies. Maybe studios aren't earning from DVD sales as much as ticket sales sa movie theaters. It would be nice to have some classics available in BDs though.

Pero i'd surmise may market din naman yung from allover the world those with disposable income,  in the same manner TFC is a sure fixture sa mga pinoys abroad.
toy

Offline HDMI

• Collector
  • Liked:
True. But then again, maybe weak ang sales ng DVDs of local movies among overseas Pinoys. Probably studios use that as a basis whether to pursue the feasibility of BD releases. Also I think for overseas Pinoys, the competition from Hollywood-movie BDs will overwhelm the sales of Pinoy BDs if ever. Unless a local film makes a global breakthrough, then maybe a release in BD format would be considered. I wonder if local studios have the technology to support BD releases.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Pero i'd surmise may market din naman yung from allover the world those with disposable income,  in the same manner TFC is a sure fixture sa mga pinoys abroad.

Yes there is a market....the hi-definition format is starting to crawl on the lives of the middle-class Filipinos.

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Yes there is a market....the hi-definition format is starting to crawl on the lives of the middle-class Filipinos.

I'll stretch a bit that studios can start going for HD format and hopefully export, stream their premium digital content from Pinas.

toy

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216

And since we are talking about milestone, Quark Henares' GAMITAN was the first Pinoy film on dvd format. Never mind what the critics said about that film.  ;D

Was it? And I seem to recall Keka was already available on DVD before Gamitan (even though the latter was made first), unless I'm mistaken.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
You were right, Dan.

My mistake, what I meant was the first Filipino film with director's commentary.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
You were right, Dan.

My mistake, what I meant was the first Filipino film with director's commentary.

Ahhh... That's interesting. Makahanap nga ng Gamitan DVD...

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
What's this (Philippine?) high def movie called DEEP GOLD?  Meron pang 3D version yata.   :D

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
What's this (Philippine?) high def movie called DEEP GOLD?  Meron pang 3D version yata.   :D

Saw this film from Bigfoot Entertainment Inc. shot in Palawan and Cebu, with foreign stars:

Deep Gold 3D high def nga, B-movie dating. foreign stars:
Bee Pham , JayMee ong & MIchael Gleissner

peppered with under water shots, film is set in cebu gold treasure found and hauled by the PNP, for shipping from Cebu to Manila BSP via PHil military plane.  plane crashes along with the gold, divers retrieve only to find out its fake, classic switcharoo, which led to the capture of the insider/perps that go way up.

make sure you finish the credits  ;D

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012 at 06:57 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
I'd say one of the the biggest problems is that we do not have the resources to clean/remaster the old films which are classics anyway (and as Jojo pointed out, we don't even have proper source materials to begin with), so releasing them on Blu-ray would be an exercise in futility.

Most of the newer films released locally... I wouldn't purchase on Blu-ray. Even if they priced them at 50 pesos.  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I'd say one of the the biggest problems is that we do not have the resources to clean/remaster the old films which are classics anyway (and as Jojo pointed out, we don't even have proper source materials to begin with), so releasing them on Blu-ray would be an exercise in futility.

Most of the newer films released locally... I wouldn't purchase on Blu-ray. Even if they priced them at 50 pesos.  ;D

exactly, you will not buy it coz of the quality of film or the resolution is not ready for bluray (somehow i know the answer, but i had to ask ;) )
toy

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Regal Home Video to release Temptation Island remake on Blu-ray which will be priced at $39.99...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
TEMPTATION ISLAND will be the first Filipino film in bd format?!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Yup! The remake... At these prices, I think I'll pass...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I'll pass din...not worthy.  ;D

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Regal DVD's are quite expensive and leaves much to be desired in terms of quality. The Temptation Island remake wasn't even anamorphic widescreen... I have no idea who will pay that much money for a Blu-ray release of an okay movie.

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
would be nice for studios to look into adopting  HD format  to stream via the internet where Filipinos abroad can get a taste of on demand streaming direct from studio archives, in a similar manner how ABS-CBN got their  TFC into every Filipino American household.

Isnt it the same effort when shooting films and digital (HD) equipment provides a better alternative for studios long term?

I would surmise that studios would benefit when they shoot in HD since it will make it easier for studios do post production and retain archives.

toy

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Motion Picture Academy: digital films need greater preservation efforts

We all know what it's like to be stuck with obsolete media: who hasn't seen boxes of VHS tapes at garage sales, next to the 8-track cassettes? The inevitable move into all-digital means of production and distribution is supposed to alleviate this problem (or at least provide us with a new set of problems), but the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences wants to draw attention to another consideration: digital preservation. The Academy's Science & Technology Council just released the second part of "Digital Dilemma," its years-long study of the issue. Its findings? While filmmakers — independents and documentarians, especially — recognize the benefits of digital workflow, most don't consider the effects on longevity. While good old-fashioned film can last for a century even if not carefully preserved, digital masters can quickly become unwatchable, whether due to media failures or incompatibility. (Imagine trying to play a Flash video in 2100.)

Even when aware of the problem, most filmmakers can't do much about it. Preserving digital media requires greater commitment and overhead than typical film archiving; the most robust archival method, in fact, is converting digital into film. But that's prohibitively expensive. Instead, the Academy hopes to establish standard file formats beginning later this year. It's also working with the Library of Congress to make sure our new wealth of digital video doesn't turn to unreadable relics in the coming decades.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Are the film masters up to standards for 4K video transfer? The studios are all about tingi tingi and not high production value and quality recording material. They do not even keep these masters, if it is even there, stored properly.

The studios know that any product they churn out will be pirated and sold downtown at cost. Law enforcement will not do anything because it is anti-poor.

The problem is they cannot even come up with a fairly decent DVD release of the latest movies let alone the classics. What they would need is a working print in perfect condition for a 4K restoration then remaster the soundtrack to 24 bit Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Stereo. I don't think the video manufacturers would spend so much money for a Blu-ray of a movie that has already been released on DVD. Someone from Star Records and Video said why would they release an old movie when nobody buys them...

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Here's an upadate on HD restoration of Pinoy films..1st up ..Ishmael Bernal's HIMALA
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150952117063833&set=p.10150952117063833&type=1&theater

how about the sound kaya?::)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012 at 03:19 PM by edboy7 »

Offline Armz316

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37

correct me if i'm wrong guys. i think one of Robin Padillas film was the 1st. one to be trleased in dolby digital 5.1
surround. and that happened only once. ch. 2 at the moment shoots in HD since the have new hd cameras. i think they need a software to  be able to incorporate 5.1 material. :)

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
malabo ito. the filipino film industry itself is dying due to piracy and lack of ticket sales, bloated actor TFs, and hard selling. plus yung mga old classics ay dahan dahan nang nabubulok. though i had a friend who worked in regal before and they did attempt to preserve and clean the old copies for digital storing. pero sobrang time consuming daw mag restore ng isang film pa lang. di rin kasi inalagaan yung master source, kaya kahit sa dvd pang betamax quality pa rin.