Author Topic: Pinoy Bluray Discs - what's keeping local film makers from adopting the format.  (Read 14848 times)

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15

correct me if i'm wrong guys. i think one of Robin Padillas film was the 1st. one to be trleased in dolby digital 5.1
surround. and that happened only once. ch. 2 at the moment shoots in HD since the have new hd cameras. i think they need a software to  be able to incorporate 5.1 material. :)
what Robin'sfilm  sir? i Think the 1st one was...Yam's Sigaw  ...DD5.1 on DVD ..well, you need to remix the film into 5.1 format,  dilemma is..how to unearth the raw  sound elements ...naka magnetic tape pa yata yung mga yun :) or you need to recreate the whole soundtrack which entails time and huge sum of money ;D na mukang malabo na yun.....kaya Bluray can happen old  Pinoy films siguro Hires video with a bland mono sound ;)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
They're almost done with the hi-def restoration of Bernal's masterpiece HIMALA. Based on the the still pic that I saw....its gorgeous and awesome restoration!

Kudos to Abs-Cbn! Kaya naman pala natin!

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
It seems for dvd release lang daw the hi-def version ng HIMALA. So that means, we wont get the 1080p resolution of the hi-def version.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
Well, at least it's being preserved somewhat. I'm still hoping they can make a 1080p conversion but this is already very very good news.

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
The cost.
Old films are not even being preserved.
And converting it to HD is definitely not gonna happen.

However, if the local movie industry will invest now and produce HD. If it is in digital format then preservation is just making sure the digital copy is intact.
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
saw an article a few weeks back that government will make a digital archives for old films, dunno what that means but i hope they get all those black and whites and accessible to public domain (it made it to TV before decades before).

there's no central place public domain or paid, to get, say films from 1950s-1960s.

toy

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
Seems like there is a US Blu-Ray release for Yam Laranas' The Road:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Road-Blu-ray-TJ-Trinidad/dp/B009AFXUEY/ref=pd_ybh_8

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
toy

Offline ronnivore

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Apprentice
  • I am the walrus.
  • Liked:
Well guys, I guess there's some glimmer of hope for us classic film junkies. "Himala (HD)" is hitting theaters December 5 (pictures and trailer here: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,172138.0.html), and a slew of other films will follow, including "Oro, Plata, Mata", "Madrasta", etc. I read in an article that the President of ABS-CBN Film Archives is eyeing to create a Criterion Collection for local movies.

Best. News. Ever.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
I hope they keep central concepts of the films in mind when restoring.

We all love 5.1 audio, but if the film was intended to be recorded/shown in stereo (or even mono), the restoration should also be the same.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225

Offline viperkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
I think the deal with Erik Matti's On The Job with Well Go includes a Blu Ray release as well if I'm not mistaken.

Offline redturbo

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
i just wanted to chime in on my dissapointment that even as of now none of the new pinoy films are released in HD.

It's such ashame! All the recent films you can tell are shot with HD cameras/equipment. Because even the DVD is authored nicely. But why do they limit it to only standard definition. The colors are vibrant and cinematography is fantastic, but the Pinoy Movie industry only wants consumers to see it in standard def crap!

WhY!?!? Sometimes DVDs are not even coded widescreen. Yea its wide, but in 4:3 with black bars on the bottom OMG! lol thats how pathetic it can sometimes be and the low of the post processing and authoriing when they release the film to DVD.

There are not enough recent pinoy action films to warrant multichannel digital surround sound (DD/DTS), but even the kilig movies can take advantage of the high quality digital surround sound. Would benefit as it being voie driven by a center channel driving the talking, and the rest to set the stage. ambient sounds, or during aprts with music.  or when they are out in the beautiful environments.

it just seems like the pinoy movie industry is lazy. they bank on releasing the films in US theaters. of cours eonly pinoy populated cities. and release a crappy outdated DVD to make even more money.  Where hollywood can release a bluray+dvd+ultraviolot (digital) copy of the latest blockbusters for $10. just like pinoys only thinking for short term, fast profits.

if they would release the bluray, and maybe places in the philippines try to expose or showcase HD quality to the people, more people would adopt it and see what they ar emissing that the REST OF THE WORLD has already been seeing for a DECADE+!!!!!!!!!

i swear a petition needs to be made and sent. dont the actors and actresses not want to see their work in HD?  im sure they got nice quality big screen setups and surround sound. only to watch their movies go to dvd and its not even authored correctly so its a 4:3 ratio and only way to make it wide screen is to be able to have a dvd/bluray/computer able to overide ratio to make it proper aspect. an only 2.0 sound. WOW.

Offline redturbo

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
FINALLY a pinoy film on BLURAY HIGH DEF!

On the Job

screen shots from the bluray.