Author Topic: merging a component speaker  (Read 3058 times)

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
merging a component speaker
« on: Mar 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM »
i hope i convey my thoughts right. here it goes....

is it possible to merge a front and surround speaker such that i'll end up with just one connection for both? similar to a woofer and a tweeter.

our mini-component conked out, after some years of service. however, the two speakers are still working. i think it is common that for these kinds of entertainment systems, the two speakers are a combination of fronts and surrounds. the back of the speakers says "fronts: 8ohms" "surrounds: 16ohms", with two separate wires dangling from behind. what i intend to do is have those wires joined together.

will it be possible, considering the difference in impedance?

TIA!

sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: merging a component speaker
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM »
i hope i convey my thoughts right. here it goes....

is it possible to merge a front and surround speaker such that i'll end up with just one connection for both? similar to a woofer and a tweeter.

our mini-component conked out, after some years of service. however, the two speakers are still working. i think it is common that for these kinds of entertainment systems, the two speakers are a combination of fronts and surrounds. the back of the speakers says "fronts: 8ohms" "surrounds: 16ohms", with two separate wires dangling from behind. what i intend to do is have those wires joined together.

will it be possible, considering the difference in impedance?

TIA!

Brader baka mahirapan receiver mo nyan... Why do you want to join the front and surrounds nang mini component again?

Eto ba gusto mo ma achieve from your mini compo speaks

Left Main + Left Surround = Will be connected to Left Channel of Receiver
Right Main + Right Surround = Will be connected to Right channel of receiver

Yung Main and surround will be connected togethere like how a woofer and a tweeter is connected to one enclosure?

Tama ba bro? or mali pagkaintindi ko? he he he sorry he he he
Walang Setup

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 09:50 AM »
The  surrounds speakers is designed to  get a fraction of the current, and they have small drivers, "merging" them would make them get the full signal from the amp and most likely it would burn out on loud passages.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM »
@sniper, please post pictures to better understand what you intend to do.....
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM »
Brader baka mahirapan receiver mo nyan... Why do you want to join the front and surrounds nang mini component again?

i don't have a receiver to begin with. i intend to devote it to audio use, using my t-amp, which only has a left and right channel connection.

Yung Main and surround will be connected togethere like how a woofer and a tweeter is connected to one enclosure?

exactly, brader.  :)

The  surrounds speakers is designed to  get a fraction of the current, and they have small drivers, "merging" them would make them get the full signal from the amp and most likely it would burn out on loud passages.

is there a way to prevent the occurrence of a burn out?

@sniper, please post pictures to better understand what you intend to do.....

here's a pic of the speaker:

the two wires (main and surrounds) i think the rca connection is for the main and the other is for the surround

what i intend to do is to have these re-wired and make them just one channel.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 01:07 PM »
^those are nice sounding speakers, yes you can make them as one unit, use the smaller speakers as though they are tweeters and you are done...or you can make them a 3way system using passive cross-overs....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 01:32 PM »
^those are nice sounding speakers

thanks, sir.

use the smaller speakers as though they are tweeters

this was what was going thru my mind all along.

will a simple re-wiring do the trick? how about the burn out issue pointed out by sir qguy?
how can i eliminate the difference in impedance?

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 01:43 PM »
i am not bothered, as long as you put a capacitor or a cross-over on those small speakers....

you can install binding posts on your speaker so you can use heavier gage speaker wires...
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2012 at 01:45 PM by TonyT »

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 01:48 PM »
i am not bothered, as long as you put a capacitor or a cross-over on those small speakers....

you can install binding posts on your speaker so you can use heavier gage speaker wires...

thanks a lot, sir!  :D

any tips to improve the sound of the speaker?   ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 02:17 PM »
look at the dampening material inside, it may need reinforcing or replacement...

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 02:28 PM »
copy that, sir. thanks!

will have my technician look at that.  :)

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 02:30 PM »
one last thing, the speaker enclosure must never have air leaks, watch out for that also....

i am also using an AIWA speaker for testing, so far okey naman, magandang tumunog.....
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2012 at 02:31 PM by TonyT »

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 02:46 PM »
one last thing, the speaker enclosure must never have air leaks, watch out for that also....

will take note of that, sir.

thanks again!

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM »
just got my "merged" aiwa speakers from sir TonyT, and i am really very satisfied with it. i may not have audiophile ears, but i love how it sounds.

thanks a lot, sir Tony!  :D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM »
i also have an aiwa speaker i merged...i am also happy with it....glad to be of help....

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM »
Tony,

What value of capacitor did you install ? I have an AIWA speakers with "surround speakers" that I want to use for  my TV speakers, medjo ngongo ng konti yung TV speakers ko

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012 at 01:41 PM »
Tony,

What value of capacitor did you install ? I have an AIWA speakers with "surround speakers" that I want to use for  my TV speakers, medjo ngongo ng konti yung TV speakers ko

as it turns out, merong nakaseries na capacitor sa 16ohm speaker na 50ufd bp cap....so i just wired that speaker in parallel with the midrange speaker...

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM »
glad to be of help....

being of help is an understatement, sir Tony. you did more than that. it's like giving a second life to a pair of speakers that were left for dead when the component conked out. and i am enjoying it to the hilt. again, thanks so much!!!