Author Topic: Sony BDP-S480 Issues on its latest firmware  (Read 4205 times)

Offline bladecutter_ph

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Sony BDP-S480 Issues on its latest firmware
« on: Mar 26, 2012 at 10:05 AM »
I've incidentally upgraded to latest firmware version M07.R.0615 when I plugged my Sony BDP S480 (unit got from US) to internet - something I overlooked and advised owners not to do. The latest firmware has Cinavia content protection which mutes your HDMI audio when playing unregistered blu ray movies (in short pirated copies). Tried to downgrade but it won't. Google says you can bypass HDMI audio and instead use optical or digital RCA, and Cinavia won't detect. Have S480 owners experience same? I've seen an RCA to HDMI cable in Deeco, would it help to suppress HDMI sound from BDP but ends up to your amp's HDMI input?

Will try this too >> http://www.infobarrel.com/Cinavia_Message_Code_Workaround

I'm going crazy and tried calling Sony tech support. They said Cinavia is new to them.

Would appreciate any help from the masters.

TIA. :)

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sony BDP-S480 Issues on its latest firmware
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM »
Maybe you could try to reset it at factory default sa settings.

Offline bladecutter_ph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM »
Sir Coastal,

Tried resetting but firmware version stays and won't change.  >:(

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM »
I guess you're stuck with the firmware. Anyway if this does not affect legit bds then you'll still be ok.

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM »
OT: medyo misleading yata yung thread title...

Cinavia is now part of AACS, which is the DRM used on Blu-Ray discs. Based on what I remember, it's implementation would be compulsary for all licensed playback devices starting Feb 2012. As you describe it in your experience, I see that the Cinavia feature is working as intended (i.e. disabling HD audio track on protected movies when played from unauthorized copies)

As long as everything is "legit" on your end, then there shouldn't be a problem. And in case you encounter difficulty playing genuine BDs with the latest firmware, that's the time you report issues with the firmware.

IMO, the more appropriate title should be something like "Sony BDP-S480 - How to downgrade firmware" or "How to circumvent Cinavia" or something to that effect...

As to your current predicament of not being able to play "unregistered blu ray movies (in short pirated copies)," for that purpose i would suggest getting an NMT or a secondary non-compliant BD player (i.e. older player which has not yet been updated)
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Offline bladecutter_ph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 03:35 PM »
Sir,

You are absolutely correct when you said that the legit BDs are playing well with the Cinavia protection imbedded in the firmware. However I opted to put this title as majority of us would use the blu-ray player for all its worth, including playing ripped movies taken from your collections. I would rather ripped a legit BD movie and used it for everyday viewing so I maintain the original BD in its pristine state. Not possible anymore with Cinavia. I also agree with you that getting a non-compliant BD player would be a good idea. Honestly we may have our own lessons learned in getting on with our hobbies - some good, and expensive lessons sir. Maybe this is the way I look at the issues I'm in now. Nevertheless - your comments are very valuable and suggestions are noted well. :)

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 10:18 PM »
Wow cinavia is now on the sony s480! >:( well i knew that was coming.
This definitely crosses out from my list of blu ray players to buy.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM by Tavus »

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 07:51 AM »
I upgraded mine but seems no problem at all, I havent tried those ripped copies although :)
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...