Author Topic: Home Theater In a Box (HTiB) 101  (Read 65525 times)

Offline dagul27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:HT in a Box
« Reply #210 on: Jan 18, 2004 at 12:27 AM »
I don't know if they ship internationally but you can try to contact or e-mail them. :)

Offline Fremdi

• Apprentice
  • Chill!
  • Liked:
Re:Best HT in a box
« Reply #211 on: Jan 22, 2004 at 10:07 PM »
Hello dagul27,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out cnet's reviews. How about Nextbase's S400? You can find it's spec at http://www.next-base.com/new/product-s400.htm Do you think it could be a decent HT in a box?

Offline johndoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Best HT in a box
« Reply #212 on: Jan 22, 2004 at 11:16 PM »
ok ang price because..its 12t only..but..marami na ngcomplain sa s400,try browsing the nextbase dvd thread...i suggest buy
a yamaha for about 17-19 k.thats the vs-10. 8)

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 06:16 PM »
In the coming few weeks ProCinema 60 will be hitting the stores...just check it's review....

http://www.definitivetech.com/reviews/PrCn60DVD

Offline johndoe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 06:24 PM »
hi,whats ur target intro price of this definitive tech ? 8)

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 06:28 PM »
Official price P32,000.00

Offline johndoe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 06:36 PM »
a competitive price kesa sa denon/jbl HT speaker sets 8) tnx for the info..

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 07:02 PM »
We are also coming out with Klipsch GMX D5.1....package with NAD DVD player targer price....P26,000.....a major brand H.T in the Box killer

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Feb 21, 2004 at 01:03 PM »
redjoki -

Recommended this to a friend, who is in the market for a sub-30k HTIB. He went to AVID at Power Plant and was told that 26k was for the DVD player alone. He would have to add speakers and a decoder.

Could you please give guidance on how and where he can buy this package. Thanks.

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Feb 21, 2004 at 01:54 PM »
redjoki -

Recommended this to a friend, who is in the market for a sub-30k HTIB. He went to AVID at Power Plant and was told that 26k was for the DVD player alone. He would have to add speakers and a decoder.

Could you please give guidance on how and where he can buy this package. Thanks.

Just ask him to contact me directly at 893-8011

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Feb 21, 2004 at 02:18 PM »
Thanks. I asked PJ to get in touch with my friend.

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Feb 21, 2004 at 02:42 PM »
Just clarification...the GMX D5.1 package with NAD is to be launch somewhere in the month of April and May.

Offline Novice01

• Apprentice
  • getting there
  • Liked:
Home theater in a box 101
« Reply #222 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 02:22 AM »
Home theater in a box
im planning to purchase one, but i dont know which brand to buy.
could anyone enlighten me on the factors that i should consider in buying one.

im currently eyeing on the pioneer brand, ive heard how it sounds...it was pretty decent, but it has a disc carousel and most of the other brands that ive checked has the disk carousel. ive gathered some information that its not reliable, meaning, sometimes it does not close, skips. which basically means that you would have some serious tray problems.

im planning to shell out 25k...probably stretch to 30k at the most.

the pioneer brand has a 100w subwoofer, 100w satellites and 100w a/v. is it decent enough?

or is it better to purchase seperate components?

do you need to have a high wattage reciever so that it can amplify more sound on the speakers? or equal wattage is enough? for the reciever and the speakers.

i would want to have an entry level home theater that would have a full solid sound. as much as possible i would go for the branded ones. from the post that ive read so far, i would probably be leaning more towards the separates, since thats what most you guys had suggested.

currently we have an oritron dvd player, so if would be going for the separates, i just need the a/v reciever and the speakers.

hi everyone! i know there are threads that would answer my inquiry. ive read some of them, but they are quite long. i would appreciate the response very much, thanks.

Offline Novice01

• Apprentice
  • getting there
  • Liked:
Re: Home theater in a box 101
« Reply #223 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 04:32 AM »
ive read more of the post from the other threads. my head is already aching, there was too much information, that my brain could no longer keep up. i think i have only two options, its either i dedicate my time and money to this new interest of mine or just settle with tv audio for watching movies.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2004 at 04:33 AM by Novice01 »

Offline Control

• DVD Addict
  • Let your ears guide you!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 06:43 AM »
Well, most of us prefer separates ( I guess you already know why). Before we can suggest, let me ask you first these questions:

1. Floor Area of where you will be using your set-up
2. Will you be using this set-up for your audio too?
3. Does your DVD player have an optical output?

Offline Novice01

• Apprentice
  • getting there
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 01:41 PM »
control,

1.im not sure about the size, but roughly 3 expeditions side by side.
2.probably more on home theater use, but it would be nice if i can listen to audio as well.
3.it only says coaxial out. is optical important?

Offline Control

• DVD Addict
  • Let your ears guide you!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 01:56 PM »
control,

1.im not sure about the size, but roughly 3 expeditions side by side.
2.probably more on home theater use, but it would be nice if i can listen to audio as well.
3.it only says coaxial out. is optical important?

OK.. got the picture... (I think  ;D)

Judging by the budget, I would recomend getting Wharfedales for your main speakers Diamond 9.2 (fronts), Diamond 9 center,  Diamond 9.1 for surrounds and either dynaquest DQ-12 or DTX for subwoofers.  As for the recievers you can choose between Yamaha (70%HT/30%Audio Set-up) or Harman Kardon (50%HT/50%Audio Set-up) both of them are compatible with wharfedales speakers.

Optical output (for some recievers) is important because it lets you gain more output options from your DVD player e.g. Dolby Digital, DTS, ect...

Good Luck  ;)

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 03:16 PM »
Bro Novice01,

If your budget is about 25 to 30 k, check-out the promo of Audio World. They're selling a complete package (receiver, speaker system and a free DVD player) for 25+k. I think this is a good deal. The thread is under the Home-theater General Audio-video stores , look for Audio World.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=11277.0

Or you may want to check out from the buy and sell section. I think myki is selling an onkyo502 receiver. And lots are selling Wharfedale diamond 8 series speakers. As for the sub, you may want to check Studio System.

Offline Novice01

• Apprentice
  • getting there
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 12:14 AM »
control,

thanks for replying. i just have a question. how come on your setup, the front and rear speakers are not matching, and also the sub. isnt better to build an HT of the same manufacturer?  how much does the setup cost? and also what do you think on the setup on the Audio World thread. http://www.pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=11277.0
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2004 at 12:31 AM by Novice01 »

Offline Novice01

• Apprentice
  • getting there
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 12:21 AM »
i have other questions

1.what does two way mean on the satellites?
2.is it ok, if your player doesnt have the decoding feature such as DTS, Dolby Digital, ProLogicII?
3.how important is the wattage on the speakers and the sub. does higher mean better?
4.whats your take on this model pioneer HTD-540DV? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_2047433_98124090_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2004 at 12:30 AM by Novice01 »

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #230 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 08:04 AM »
i have other questions

1.what does two way mean on the satellites?
2.is it ok, if your player doesnt have the decoding feature such as DTS, Dolby Digital, ProLogicII?
3.how important is the wattage on the speakers and the sub. does higher mean better?
4.whats your take on this model pioneer HTD-540DV? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_2047433_98124090_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

hi novice. like you, newbie din ako looking for my first gears. i maybe able to answer your questions in a "newbie" perspective. mga idols, pls correct me ha?

1. two way means having 2 drivers. the tweeter and the mid/bass driver.
2. if the player can output DD,DTS signals via coaxial or optical links, receiver na bahala mag decode.
3. i assume you mean power when you say wattage. well, theoretically, the higher the power the better kc you get to play louder at the same time clean yung sound (nde distorted). you can always check for the power consumption. i know the pioneer is 600 watts RMS (as per specs) but is it really? if the power consumption is less than 600 watts, san nya kinuha yung ipampupuno dun sa kulang?
4. yang htd-540dv ang gusto ng wifey ko:) pangit daw kc yung mga gears na pinapakita ko sa kanya hehehe. novice, kung me pera ka na ngayon, i suggest, wag mo na bilin yung pioneer. kc ako nangarap dati magka-audio. nagsimula nga ako sa computer speakers e. but some research tells me na to go seperates(semi-seperates kc me receiver hehehe). mas flexible kc ito. tapos mas maganda pa build quality. and syempre, mas maganda performance (ala pa akong gear ha, pero millions of internet users can't be wrong).

bili ka muna ng 2 speakers for stereo setup. tapos isang receiver. tapos isang sub. eto sulit.

wharfedale diamond 9.2                    ~7000
yamaha rx-v350                               ~14000
usaudio, dtx sub                               ~7000

almost 28k (me sukli ka pa im sure) pero tingin ko mas ok yan sa pioneer. next year, me budget ka na ulit, pede mo na dagdagan yung gears mo ng center and surrounds.

hope i helped. people here will tell you to audition and see for yourself. but if you can't trust your ears, you can trust the members here (except me).

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #231 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 01:27 PM »
Uso na ngayon 5.1 speakers for PCs --- pwede ba 5.1 HT speakers ikabit sa PC? thnks  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 01:37 PM »
Uso na ngayon 5.1 speakers for PCs --- pwede ba 5.1 HT speakers ikabit sa PC? thnks  ::)

new soundcards have SPDIF outs. the new mobos w/ onboard audio also have this. the claim is 5.1 daw. ito yata iko-connect sa coaxial in ng receiver.

my thoughts lang po.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 01:48 PM »

To add, kung walang SPDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface), Optical, or Coaxial digital out. And merong 5.1 analog out (or with build-in DD and/or DTS decoder) then you can connect the sound card to AV receiver's 5.1 analog input.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 02:17 PM »

If your 5.1 HT speakers are powered, no problem.

Otherwise:

Connect your PC's S/PDIF to the receiver's S/PDIF co-ax terminal.  In most cases, these S/DIF terminals in PCs use a baby jack.  So you need a special cable with RCA-BabyJack termination.  Some soundcards have optical terminals but they are smaller and will not accommodate the standard toslink cables.  And I don't know where to get such cables, maybe radioshack.  Then you can enjoy your PC as another source.

That's what I have, in addition to my other players. 

Offline Novice01

• Apprentice
  • getting there
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 06:33 AM »
i have new questions

1.what does RMS and PMPO mean?
2.what are your thoughts on a disk carousel? does it break easily, how soon?

i saw this new model of pioneer, im eyeing on this one.
http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront/aspFn/Product.asp?ProductId=24&CatId=64,8,13

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 07:38 AM »
i have new questions

1.what does RMS and PMPO mean?
2.what are your thoughts on a disk carousel? does it break easily, how soon?

i saw this new model of pioneer, im eyeing on this one.
http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront/aspFn/Product.asp?ProductId=24&CatId=64,8,13

here's an article i got from the net...

What is PMPO? - It's An advertising gimmick!

Have you ever wondered how that pair of speakers they are selling at the discount store for $10 can put out 120 watts of power? Well, depending on your definition of output power...they can...and it has fooled many people! I know people have told me that their home stereo unit has 2600 watts of power output...even though it is connected to a standard 120-volt power supply that is only allowed to draw 2000 watts before tripping the circuit breakers!

The answer to this issue lies in how they measure the output power of the device. Usually if you look at these huge numbers, you will see the letters "PMPO" underneath. PMPO stands for "Peak Music Output Power" or "Peak Momentary Power Output". Notice the word peak. The vendor of the product calculates PMPO based on the maximum power output of the device under perfect conditions and 100% efficiency. These conditions are impossible to obtain, and no device can sustain the PMPO power for any significant length of time without being ruined. The PMPO power relies on the fact that amplifiers can provide short bursts of very high power. Over time, these short bursts when averaged with the lower output powers, gives the real value.

The Real Power
Vendors use PMPO power to hide underpowered power supplies and amplifiers. When you see something with a PMPO measurement on it, turn it around and look at the specifications. Often, the input power from the AC mains is 5 or more times LESS than that of the PMPO power. You also may see a more accurate measurement, called RMS (Root Means Square) power and DIN power. These types of measurements average output over time, creating a much more reasonable reading. Don't be fooled by cheap products which appear to put out big power.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 10:10 AM »
In short, RMS is the proper way to state CONTINUOUS output power per channel.

You should see something like:

100 watts RMS per channel,  Minimum Continuous into 8ohms, 20hz - 20khz, < 0.03% THD. All Channels Driven

Anything else is hype.  And for me, that includes DIN and EIAJ standards where the output is measured only at 1khz into 4 ohms with only one channel tested.

But...but...but....

This is HTIB territory.  So I don't really think this conservative power rating applies.  They're mostly bannered with PMPO.  Just take a look at the back to see the Electric Power Consumption.  If it says 200 watts, you take around 60% of that and divide into the channels. That's your maximum RMS output per channel.  On a 5.1, that's 24 watts per channel.   Not exact, but close.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2004 at 04:13 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Novice01

• Apprentice
  • getting there
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 04:30 PM »
so in a 600 watts system, 60% of that would 360, divide that into 5, thats 72 watts per channel?

so your not really getting 100 watts of out of each channel?

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: Nov 27, 2004 at 11:57 AM »
so in a 600 watts system, 60% of that would 360, divide that into 5, thats 72 watts per channel?

so your not really getting 100 watts of out of each channel?

if the power consumption is 600 watts then yes. power consumption is usually found in the spec sheet. ask the salesperson kung pede mo makita spec sheet.