Author Topic: Tips on Trying/Testing Speakers/Receivers  (Read 855 times)

Offline edgar23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tips on Trying/Testing Speakers/Receivers
« on: Apr 23, 2012 at 05:45 PM »
Hi,

I'm planning to set up my own home theater system, preferably 7.1 (but trying to avoid HTIBs). With so many brands of receivers and speakers, it is really starting to get confusing.

Given this i would like to seek advise on the ff:
1. Store that allows testing of speakers/receivers (with good customer service... i've been to some and it's too much of a chore for them to answer my questions, even the prices... so much more setting them up for my to try))
2. A baseline on at least what speakers/receivers to try out (I don't think it is a good idea to go to a store and ask them to test everything).
3. In terms of Specs, what should i be looking for? For the receivers, what i'm normally seeing would be the Standby passthrough function (based from how i understood it, i need it). Another is the ability to do zoning, and then i'm also seeing the watts per channel (I'm not sure what i need here). To give you an idea, this is a setup for a sala around 19sqm in size. For the speakers, I'm only seeing the watts which as per my understanding, should somehow be the same or at least close to the watts per channel in your receiver in order to maximize potential.
4. Where should i invest in, a better receiver or a better set of speakers?

My budget - around 80-100k. but if can be cheaper but still good, I'm all for it. I'm only using this as benchmark because this was the price quoted to me by JBL (at boni high).

My apologies if my questions seem to be too generic but any help will do.

Regards!

« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2012 at 05:59 PM by edgar23 »

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Re: Tips on Trying/Testing Speakers/Receivers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 05:59 PM »
1. Based from my experience, these shops will accomodate you with 100% customer service...
-avshop (MLY) in Kalayaan Ave.
-Watt Hifi in MCS
-Sound Gallery in the Fort. Look for Mike
-Sights and Sounds in Shangrila
-Sound and Vision in Banawe

2. With you budget I suggest looking into Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, HK receiver. Polk Audio, JBL and Paradigm for Speakers...

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2012 at 08:34 AM »

Almost all of the local audio stores, both hi and low end are quite open to letting one try out speaker and amp combinations, as they do understand that customers at the 80k -100k price range need to try before they buy.

In no particular order, I can vouch for that policy in these shops:

Shangrila Mall

1) AVDI
2) Listening in Style
3) Sight and Sounds

Makati Cinema Square

1) Watt HIFI
2) Sensible Audio

MLY Enterprises - Kalayaan QC

Audio Amplified - Libis

Sound Dimension - Rockwell Mall

Spectra AV - park Square 1

On another note, maybe you'd like to consider a 2.0 or a 2.1 HT setup, which doubles as a music setup.  80k to 100k music setup will sound quite good, which is what I currently have.

Offline allanbriz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM »
Hi edgar23!

You can check out Anthony audio.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,70456.4560.html

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 08:11 AM »
I highly recommend the following:

Watt Hifi - Makati Cinema Square
- I can spend the whole day here with it's numerous choices and wala silang sawa ipa-audition sa iyo lahat. For Amps it carries, Yamaha, NAD, Onkyo, Rotel, Rega, Cambridge Audio, Musical Fidelity, Cayin etc. sobrang dami. For speakers it has PSB, KEF, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Aurum Cantus, Mission, Sonus Faber, B&W, Atlantic Technology, Wharfedale etc.

MLY Enterprise - Along Kalayaan Avenue, QC
Sobrang maasikaso and will let you audition everything from Monitor Audio, B&W, Acoustic Energy, Polk Audio, JBL, Infinity, Klipsch etc.

AVDI - Shangrila Mall
Highend shop pero ang babait ng mga salesmen. They are even willing for you to home audition their gears  :)

Never had a bad experience with any those shops.

Offline edgar23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 01:29 PM »
Thank you to all those who responded. It seems Watt Hifi and MLY is the one common to most. I'll look into these stores  :) thanks again!