Author Topic: Will wireless USB hub degrade the sound of my setup  (Read 744 times)

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
Will wireless USB hub degrade the sound of my setup
« on: Apr 26, 2012 at 05:45 AM »
Right now I have cable from my Notebook to my wired USB, the USB DAC is connected to the USD HUB.  Thinking about adding a wireless USB HUB ? any issues with this setup ?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: Will wireless USB hub degrade the sound of my setup
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 01:17 PM »
There are 2 major types. One type is a Wireless Network USB hub (connects via WiFi), while another type is just a plain Wireless USB hub (connects via a Wireless USB adapter). The latter typically has better compatibility, but is more range-challenged (range is similar to Bluetooth) and comes in bewildering variants.

Either would normally work, but as with most wireless technologies, range, reliability and performance could be affected by external parameters (physical barriers, interference, etc.). Going for a Wireless USB Hub that uses a "Certified Wireless USB" connection may be the safest route at the moment.

CD quality should be fairly easy as it is not very demanding, bandwidth and latency wise.

As for the sound, it'd be hard to tell. Granted that everything goes smoothly, you may get an improvement or a degradation depending on how stable the usb power and usb clock are, against what's directly available from your computer. You do get the advantage of galvanic isolation, on top of those.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2012 at 01:24 PM by Stagea »