Author Topic: 3D MEDIA PLAYER NECESSARY?  (Read 795 times)

Offline ultimax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
3D MEDIA PLAYER NECESSARY?
« on: May 09, 2012 at 03:28 PM »
Hi Guys! Maybe some of you could explain to me the importance of buying or upgrading to a 3D media player. I just recently bought a 50" panasonic plasma 3d ST series with 2 pairs of active shutter glasses as freebies. The first thing that entered my mind was to upgrade my existing sidewinder 2 to sw 3 just because the latter features 3d. I bought the SW3 for 5.5k and very excited to test it on my new plasma but the SW3 won't start  so I decided to return it the next day and got my refund. I went home, connect back my SW2 to the plasma and decided to test a 3d media file (IMAX under the sea 3d). I wore the 3d glasses and Lo and behold it works and looks fantastic ! Is it because the Panasonic has some kind of decoding chip to handle 3d media files? Does it mean that any regular media player is enough to watch 3d media files on a 3d flat screen? What is the advantage of using a "3D" media player if a regular one does the job? Maybe I am missing something here.  ???I appreciate any opinion technical or otherwise. Thanks?

Offline gienr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: 3D MEDIA PLAYER NECESSARY?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM »
If what you say is true to all brands of 3D tv, then it is a very good discovery.  If that is so then no need for 3D players

Offline lsm0325

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Please don't call me "Sir"..I'm a wife & mother po
  • Liked:
Re: 3D MEDIA PLAYER NECESSARY?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012 at 09:26 AM »
True, maybe it's not needed if you intend to just use mkv movie files in "half side by side" format instead of a 3D bluray disc or iso files or do not need full use of a full 3D movie file.

We have a PS3 and realtek 1185 media players (mede8er500X2 and measy x6-one is actually for the bedroom) for our 3D passive TV.  We can watch 3d movie file (like the transformers 3 HSBS or 3D MKVs na HSBS or top and bottom formats) on the 500X2 without any problem.  For 3D blu ray disc, then we use the PS3.

But of course a full 3D bluray iso (a non-3D media player/nmt can not handle) should be is better than MKV formats.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012 at 09:56 AM by lsm0325 »
LG 55LW5000·Pioneer VSX-920K·Todoroki S-RS77TB·Wharfedale WH2·Sony PS3 320GB·Measy X6·Logitech One