Author Topic: low cost low power consumption 24/7 torrent rig + htpc build help  (Read 17452 times)

Offline bashi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • Yo!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 349
Re: low cost low power consumption 24/7 torrent rig + htpc build help
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2013 at 04:16 PM »
good brands are corsair, seasonic, antec, enermax, and hec ... look for models with 80%+ efficiency, normally those would have good components and better quality ... plus those would have less power consumption due to high efficiency

thank you very much for your reply, will choose one of those brands that you mentioned, will be going for either an a6 or a8 amd proc... my current rig decided it was time to rest :( it was long in the tooth na rin and served its purpose extremely well, hehehe

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2013 at 09:39 PM »
thank you very much for your reply, will choose one of those brands that you mentioned, will be going for either an a6 or a8 amd proc... my current rig decided it was time to rest :( it was long in the tooth na rin and served its purpose extremely well, hehehe

take out HEC from that list. I've had a bad experience with their psu before.
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #62 on: Jan 12, 2013 at 02:56 AM »

If you're going with Trinity, I suggest going all the way up to the A10. The local A8 models consume nearly as much power, without performing nearly as well.

Offline bashi

• DVD Addict
  • Yo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 12, 2013 at 04:16 AM »
take out HEC from that list. I've had a bad experience with their psu before.

thank you very much, noted

If you're going with Trinity, I suggest going all the way up to the A10. The local A8 models consume nearly as much power, without performing nearly as well.

oh okay, i'm currently looking at a8-3870k or a6-3500, suggestion mo is the a10-5800k? will keep that in mind, i was a bit partial sa a6 because of budgetary constraints since sudden yun need ko for a new set-up but i'm willing to add a little to the overall budget to ensure it will adapt easily to whatever comes for the next few years, as for the motherboard, ano suggest nyo that works well with amd's (the reasonably priced models)? i'm keen on msi (since i've had a very favorable experience with that brand before) but i'm also looking at gigabyte because of the extra options within the same price range nung msi models and good reviews from my brother, thank you very much
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2013 at 04:28 AM by bashi »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jan 12, 2013 at 07:05 AM »
thank you very much, noted

oh okay, i'm currently looking at a8-3870k or a6-3500, suggestion mo is the a10-5800k? will keep that in mind, i was a bit partial sa a6 because of budgetary constraints since sudden yun need ko for a new set-up but i'm willing to add a little to the overall budget to ensure it will adapt easily to whatever comes for the next few years, as for the motherboard, ano suggest nyo that works well with amd's (the reasonably priced models)? i'm keen on msi (since i've had a very favorable experience with that brand before) but i'm also looking at gigabyte because of the extra options within the same price range nung msi models and good reviews from my brother, thank you very much

Ahh for Llano, A6-3500 is decent naman when it comes to power consumption vs. performance. Trinity's a generation newer on the other hand, saka mas mahaba pa ang life ng FM2 motherboards so it makes sense to look at FM2 over FM1.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #65 on: Jan 12, 2013 at 07:17 AM »
Ahh for Llano, A6-3500 is decent naman when it comes to power consumption vs. performance. Trinity's a generation newer on the other hand, saka mas mahaba pa ang life ng FM2 motherboards so it makes sense to look at FM2 over FM1.

agree with this ... FM1 boards are already being phased out
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline bashi

• DVD Addict
  • Yo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jan 12, 2013 at 09:06 AM »

thank you uli, will calculate parts pagpunta ko gilmore later, will try to fit in a trinity set-up sa budget :)

Offline bashi

• DVD Addict
  • Yo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM »
do i need to get a cooling fan for amd's? the store in gilmore was trying to sell me those cooling fans specially the watercooled ones, i went with a trinity proc & fm2 mobo, medyo nagtipid muna ako sa ibang parts but will upgrade or add parts little by little......ang di pa pala nabili yun monitor, will buy this weekend, any comments on several brands will be highly appreciated, according to several friends, samsung has one of the best service of all the current brands available

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM »
do i need to get a cooling fan for amd's? the store in gilmore was trying to sell me those cooling fans specially the watercooled ones, i went with a trinity proc & fm2 mobo, medyo nagtipid muna ako sa ibang parts but will upgrade or add parts little by little......ang di pa pala nabili yun monitor, will buy this weekend, any comments on several brands will be highly appreciated, according to several friends, samsung has one of the best service of all the current brands available

If you purchased a retail processor, then it should come with a cooling solution. It would do for most applications, but a more powerful aftermarket cooler can reduce noise or bring down average temperatures.

Since you're putting together a budget build, stick with the supplied cooler for now. You can replace it later on if you find it too loud.

Offline bashi

• DVD Addict
  • Yo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 04:05 PM »
If you purchased a retail processor, then it should come with a cooling solution. It would do for most applications, but a more powerful aftermarket cooler can reduce noise or bring down average temperatures.

Since you're putting together a budget build, stick with the supplied cooler for now. You can replace it later on if you find it too loud.

thanks, medyo sudden lang kasi yun need for a new set-up, was really planning on getting a new one either late 1st quarter or probably summer but my previous desktop didn't cooperate with my sched, being flooded with a ton of choices, i want to make sure bang for the buck yun assemble ko and reliable :)