Author Topic: subwoofer plate-amp  (Read 10476 times)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
Re: Where to get plate amps
« Reply #30 on: Jun 11, 2007 at 10:45 PM »
You got a point, but sometimes, parts are really hard to find locally unless you outsource and spend extra dough.  ::)  ::)

You also got a point... (score is tied 1-1  ;D ;D ;D). This may not be a problem with this guys since they don't outsource but build it too (except for the sub driver)... however, if you don't know how to build or don't have the time to build a plate amp then outsourcing or scavenging a working amp from a sub would be the next course of action.

You see, there's nothing that can stop these guys (diy'ers)... 8)

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #31 on: Jun 11, 2007 at 11:13 PM »
Yes, I agree with you. .  8)  8) . DIY projects give us pride to show to our fellow hobbyists of what we have achieve. I also have some DIY in my system but I limit only to cables ( IC,speaker,power ) since electronics is not my profession. But, I spent countless hours doing those projects and gave me happiness when the day is done.  :D  :D
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2007 at 11:15 PM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #32 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 01:52 AM »
you guys are both right. galing kasi me sa car audio hobby na mahilig mag butingting ng mga kahon na bumamayo hanggang sa kabilang kanto ;D. subukan ko sana sa HT kung babayo pa rin kahit hanggang kapit bahay lang ;D ;D ;D

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #33 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 03:07 AM »
Yes, I agree with you. .  8)  8) . DIY projects give us pride to show to our fellow hobbyists of what we have achieve. I also have some DIY in my system but I limit only to cables ( IC,speaker,power ) since electronics is not my profession. But, I spent countless hours doing those projects and gave me happiness when the day is done.  :D  :D

it may interest you to know, that the famous Dynaco ST70, which sold by the thousands, was offered as a kit, and countless many who were not into electronics assembled them, doctors, musicians etc.... yes you can assemble tube amps as long as you know how to read and understand drawings and follow them. ;D

Heatkit, was a famous brand in the states then, i still have an IG18 sine square wave generator........ ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 10:01 AM »
Tony,

What do they call na nga those factory assembled ST70? I believe the Heathkit is the designation for the "kit" version... the darn word keeps slipping out of my mind...  ;D

As for diy'ing, among the other non-electronics fields, I find that medical doctors are more "inclined" into diy'ing... I wonder why...  ::)  ;D

:)

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 12:09 PM »
it may interest you to know, that the famous Dynaco ST70, which sold by the thousands, was offered as a kit, and countless many who were not into electronics assembled them, doctors, musicians etc.... yes you can assemble tube amps as long as you know how to read and understand drawings and follow them. ;D

Heatkit, was a famous brand in the states then, i still have an IG18 sine square wave generator........ ;D

Tony,

What do they call na nga those factory assembled ST70? I believe the Heathkit is the designation for the "kit" version... the darn word keeps slipping out of my mind...  ;D

As for diy'ing, among the other non-electronics fields, I find that medical doctors are more "inclined" into diy'ing... I wonder why...  ::)  ;D

I have wondered quite a lot since I started this hobby, that if I sink deeper with proper tools, info  (DRAWINGS - marami ako nyan but for construction) & kit, I could my own system. Unfortunately, my present location has limited source for those requirements.  :(  :(

Not only medical Docs are into that, also mga mangingisda. They also do day-ing . .. Masarap lalo na pag-umuulan.  ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 04:37 PM »

Not only medical Docs are into that, also mga mangingisda. They also do day-ing . .. Masarap lalo na pag-umuulan.  ;D  ;D

ah yes of course... especially with sinangag and hot coffee... OT... ;D ;D ;D

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 05:35 PM »
Mga guru, just want to ask sana, if there is really a big difference in sound quality  between a plate amp and an integrated/power amp to be used for a passive subwoofer? I am also finding it hard to look for a plate amp for my subwoofer thus I am currently using a vintage yamaha ca-1010 (110w rms/ch) to drive 2 pcs of Polk Audio 10" subs to good effect.
The set-up I did was to just use the power amp section of the yamaha (it has a pre-out/main-in feature) and connect one sub to each ch. of the amp.
Will a plate amp improve things dramatically, assuming all other things constant (like the subwoofer and power rating of the amp)?
Thanks.     

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 11:39 PM »
I haven't used that set-up.  ::)  ::) personally, I will not consider that, for passive sub  IMHO, use mono amp with ext. crossover.  ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #39 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 04:53 AM »
If properly driven and the proper enclosure is used,  then I dont see a problem with this setup,  The yamaha should be  fed from the sub outputs of a AVR reciever.  Only disadvantage I see is that you have an extra box to store

I use a similar setup for my Audio setup.  A Sony integrated 140 wpc feb by an Electronic crossover crossed at 35 hz. The drivers used are  a pair of 12 inch KEF woofers.

Mga guru, just want to ask sana, if there is really a big difference in sound quality  between a plate amp and an integrated/power amp to be used for a passive subwoofer? I am also finding it hard to look for a plate amp for my subwoofer thus I am currently using a vintage yamaha ca-1010 (110w rms/ch) to drive 2 pcs of Polk Audio 10" subs to good effect.
The set-up I did was to just use the power amp section of the yamaha (it has a pre-out/main-in feature) and connect one sub to each ch. of the amp.
Will a plate amp improve things dramatically, assuming all other things constant (like the subwoofer and power rating of the amp)?
Thanks.     

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 10:17 AM »
Tony,

IF you look at magazines dating back in the 60's and 70's , you fing that even brands such as fisher, scott  and others are  offered as kits, of course factory assembled and tested units  cost more...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 09:21 PM »
qguy,
Yes, I fed the Yamaha from the sub out of the a/v rcvr which is being cut-off at 90hz. I experimented a lot with the port tuning to maximize bass out without boom and extend the lowest notes. It would be nice to use 2 12' subs like yours but budget keeps me on hold for now.   
I noticed that some hi-end companies like NHT have subwoofer models that uses outboard amps and xover to mate with their passive subs, and that's one reason why I was encourage to try this set-up. Apparently, compared to "budget" active subs this set-up really hold up well without spending too much.  ;)

Offline macmac09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jun 16, 2007 at 07:26 AM »
iba pa po ba itong plate amp na to sa binebenta ng flying mole na mga board modules?

Offline joel_h

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
subwoofer plate-amp
« Reply #43 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 12:25 AM »
Hi,

Does any body have an idea how much a plate amp for subwoofer, around 100W at raon.

thanks

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
Re: subwoofer plate-amp
« Reply #44 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 01:05 PM »
Please checkout the marketplace sir, diy_master sells plate amps there...

Offline Bemo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: subwoofer plate-amp
« Reply #45 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 01:37 PM »
Sir joel_h,

Pls contact diy_master (Anthony 8386701), he can very much help you
with this.

Bemo