Author Topic: Your favorite/top Flat panel TVs  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Your favorite/top Flat panel TVs
« on: Aug 03, 2012 at 10:08 AM »
Just need to know your favorite or top flat panel tvs. Could by any panel you've had or want to have...

I'll start it with:

Plasma: Panasonic V20 - No 3D but by far the best looking Plasma TV for me.

LED TV: Sharp Quattron - This is my new favorite set with very good blacks and I love the colors! It's just that the remote is quite tricky.

Vanilla LCD TV: Panasonic C30X - Fast input response time and great "game mode". If you love to game then you should take a good look at this set.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2012 at 11:52 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Your favorite/top Flat panel TVs
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 10:31 AM »
Panasonic 50UT50.

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 10:38 AM »
Plasma: Panasonic 42/50ST50

LED: Sharp LC70LE745U 70-inch 3D LED TV   :o

LCD TV: none... maybe a Sony Bravia Full HD  :P
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline xgh0st12x

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • DVD Guru
  • Reboot nang reboot! Punyeta, puro na lang reboot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 11:22 AM »
Plasma: Panasonic 42/50ST30 - I am partial to this since i own the 42 inch model. It's my first plasma after going through one 19 inch lcd, two 22inch LCDs, one 32 inch LCD, and one 42 inch LCD. And i now consider myself a late blooming plasma-convert. Bang for the buck Full HD 3D neo plasma!

LED TV: Sharp Quattron - To agree with Carlo777, I have seen this on display at sights and sounds. Amazing how vivid yet realistic the colors are while still maintaining a black level that can compare to that of a plasma. If finances were on my side at the time, this would have been a no brainer purchase for me.

LCD: Avision 42al69 - My first 42 inch LCD. Colors rivaled that of Panny and LG LCD TVs while having the edge of a 120hz panel with a motion flow feature. (Madaming na-iintriga sa motion flow at the time, but it's all hype to me now. :p ) I got this for P40,500 back in Sept 11, 2010, May libre pang Avision 22 inch lcd TV as a promo offer. Sweet deal at that time!
Formerly SonOfKratos

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 01:31 PM »
I'm glad to see Sharp on someone else list ;)

I'm really intrigued by the UT50...Hmmm

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 02:22 PM »
I'm really intrigued by the UT50...Hmmm

See the review post on avsforum by PathofNEo:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406618/official-panasonic-ut50-series-discussion-thread#post_21933335

He has a Pioneer 5020FD Kuro, so when he mentions black level, he knows what he's talking about.  He also thinks the louvre filter on the ST50/GT50/VT50 degrades the picture slightly, so he prefers the no-filter UT50.

Con -- screen uniformity is not the same as the old Panny plasmas of 2006.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2012 at 09:40 PM by barrister »

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 02:31 PM »
I saw a Sharp 70 inches LED at Listening in Shang mall but it is 110V.  I wasn't able to get the model number but I'm curious how Sharp LED tv's perform.

Offline jericm

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 02:36 PM »
LED: Toshiba XL700

Toshiba really scored on this one. Rich colors. Deep blacks.
Toshiba 47XL700
Pioneer 420DV
SVS SB12NSD
Onkyo TX-SR600
Bose Accoustimass 7
Egreat S7A Pro

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 02:49 PM »
I saw a Sharp 70 inches LED at Listening in Shang mall but it is 110V.  I wasn't able to get the model number but I'm curious how Sharp LED tv's perform.

Highest-end Sharp is the best LED TV.  However, the best plasma is still better than the best LED:

2012 Shootout Rankings:

1. Panasonic TC-P65VT50 plasma
2. Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD LCD
3. Samsung PN64E8000 plasma
4. Samsung UNES8000 LCD
5. LG 60PM9700 plasma
6. Panasonic TC-L47WT50 LCD.

Panasonic VT50 wins Value Electronics 2012 TV picture quality shootout
The Panasonic TC-P65VT50 plasma beat five other 2012 TVs,
compiling the most votes among various areas of picture quality.

by David Katzmaier |May 22, 2012 1:29 PM

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57439424-221/panasonic-vt50-wins-value-electronics-2012-tv-picture-quality-shootout/

Sharp Quattron has a yellow fourth subpixel (RGBY, in addition to the standard RGB), which Sharp claims increases the range of displayable colors.

However, DisplayMate Technologies (a video calibration equipment producer) says Sharp's Quattron technology does not have the ability to show more colors than a standard RGB set.  That's because there is no existing source material that contains the fourth color channel anyway, so any extra color displayed must simply be created in the television itself through video processing, which can at best result in the same color accuracy, or at worst reduce color accuracy.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 05:42 PM »
Highest-end Sharp is the best LED TV.  However, the best plasma is still better than the best LED:

Sharp Quattron has a yellow fourth subpixel (RGBY, in addition to the standard RGB), which Sharp claims increases the range of displayable colors.

However, DisplayMate Technologies (a video calibration equipment producer) says Sharp's Quattron technology does not have the ability to show more colors than a standard RGB set.  That's because there is no existing source material that contains the fourth color channel anyway, so any extra color displayed must simply be created in the television itself through video processing, which can at best result in the same color accuracy, or at worst reduce color accuracy.

Anyway, Sharp has really improved especially for it's local offerings with the Quattron. If and when the UT50 from Panasonic arrives and it blows me away, my V20 will go to the marketplace ;)

For the record, I'm still not into 3D, there is something about it that makes me stay away from the technology. That's just me.

We're going to look at Sony's HX750, we're into the big Tv hunting now :o
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2012 at 05:46 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline Ppoooh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 08:36 PM »
On LCD TV: I still like my LG 32LH70YR unit (Scarlet 2.0). All these years, the red color body/casing is still looking good. Don't see anything like this nowadays. FullHD with TruMotion 120Hz (can be turned off), with USB that can play DiVX movies/pictures, and unique Bluetooth capable, and there's the screen-off function wherein the Audio still plays from the built-in speakers. With 2-way 4-speaker system. Nice see-thru circular power-on lamp (running light in circle for power on sequence). This circular lamp can also be turned-off, so that it doesn't interfere with TV watching. Panel response is very fast at 2.4ms. The only thing lacking is it can't play mkv movies, and no Optical Audio out. This unit is really way ahead of its time.

My next upgrade would be an LED TV - FullHD. Am not going back to LCD TV anymore, as I don't see anything worthy to beat my LG 32LH70YR.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 11:36 PM »
LED: Toshiba XL700

Toshiba really scored on this one. Rich colors. Deep blacks.

Oh I almost forgot...The XL700 one fine LED ;)

On LCD TV: I still like my LG 32LH70YR unit (Scarlet 2.0). All these years, the red color body/casing is still looking good. Don't see anything like this nowadays. FullHD with TruMotion 120Hz (can be turned off), with USB that can play DiVX movies/pictures, and unique Bluetooth capable, and there's the screen-off function wherein the Audio still plays from the built-in speakers. With 2-way 4-speaker system. Nice see-thru circular power-on lamp (running light in circle for power on sequence). This circular lamp can also be turned-off, so that it doesn't interfere with TV watching. Panel response is very fast at 2.4ms. The only thing lacking is it can't play mkv movies, and no Optical Audio out. This unit is really way ahead of its time.

My next upgrade would be an LED TV - FullHD. Am not going back to LCD TV anymore, as I don't see anything worthy to beat my LG 32LH70YR.

The LH70 was well received as well. The only problem some had with the scarlet was backlight bleed.

Plasma: Panasonic 42/50ST30 - I am partial to this since i own the 42 inch model. It's my first plasma after going through one 19 inch lcd, two 22inch LCDs, one 32 inch LCD, and one 42 inch LCD. And i now consider myself a late blooming plasma-convert. Bang for the buck Full HD 3D neo plasma!

LED TV: Sharp Quattron - To agree with Carlo777, I have seen this on display at sights and sounds. Amazing how vivid yet realistic the colors are while still maintaining a black level that can compare to that of a plasma. If finances were on my side at the time, this would have been a no brainer purchase for me.

LCD: Avision 42al69 - My first 42 inch LCD. Colors rivaled that of Panny and LG LCD TVs while having the edge of a 120hz panel with a motion flow feature. (Madaming na-iintriga sa motion flow at the time, but it's all hype to me now. :p ) I got this for P40,500 back in Sept 11, 2010, May libre pang Avision 22 inch lcd TV as a promo offer. Sweet deal at that time!

That's nearly a full circle ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2012 at 11:43 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline joko11

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2012 at 02:31 AM »
subs..
Primum Nil Nocere