Author Topic: ROSWELL Seasons 1-3 on DVD  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
ROSWELL Seasons 1-3 on DVD
« on: Oct 12, 2003 at 06:49 AM »

TVShowsOnDVD.Com reports that a Roswell Season One DVD boxed set is due in February of 2004, from Fox. But with some changes:

Fox has scheduled the season one to be released sometime in Feb, 2004. The date will be confirmed when the set is officially announced, hopefully by the end of October.

We also learned that music in the show has been replaced for the DVDs, which isn't much of a surprise. We have no idea which songs were replaced, or how many, but we know of at least one new song added to the set. While fans may be upset by this, it had to be done. With the music companies blaming lower profits on file trading they have started viewing music licensing for DVDs as another source of income. Since there's no set price for music used on DVDs, this often results in the music companies asking astronomical prices. Studios are faced with the bottom line; can we afford to license all the music used in the show and keep the price of the set reasonable? Unfortunately the amount of music used in Roswell would force Fox to charge hundreds of dollars per set, pricing it out of the range of most fans.

So Fox was faced with replacing the music or not releasing the show at all. I think we can all agree that they're making the right choice by going ahead with the release. At least consumers will be buying the set knowing the music has been changed, which hasn't been the case with some sets from other companies.

Even with the music changes, I'm still looking forward to the set being released.

Thanks to Frank Forrester who wrote in to tell us that the music was being changed on the set. Frank let us know that "The Waking Hours" had licensed a song for the first season release which hadn't appeared in the broadcast airing.

The series featured music from such high-profile artists as Sarah McLachlan, Dave Matthews Band, Santana and Jewel. I'm guessing these are the ones we won't be hearing on the DVD.  :-\

[size=-2]Preorder from Amazon:[/size]

Roswell: Season 1  $41.99  (30%), Feb 17
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2005 at 11:31 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re:ROSWELL Season One on DVD
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2003 at 12:17 AM »
More news on this DVD, from TheFutonCritic.Com, including specs, price and release date:

'Roswell' to Reach DVD in February
By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) -- 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment is set to release "Roswell: The Complete First Season" on DVD on February 17 of next year. The news marks the end of several months of rumors and speculation about the show's release on the format.

The six-disc set includes all 22 first season episodes in full screen (1.33:1) and Dolby 2.0 Surround. Extras are surprisingly deep on the release, which includes seven commentaries (on the episodes "Pilot," "285 South," "Blood Brother," "Heat Wave," "Independence Day," "Max to the Max" and "Destiny") by various cast and crew members, deleted scenes with optional commentary on the majority of the episodes, three featurettes, a gag reel, audition tapes and Sensefield's "Save Yourself" music video. The set carries a suggested retail price of $59.98.

Also of note is that several music tracks that appeared on the show's original broadcast have been replaced by different artists and songs for the DVD. The reason for the change is likely the substantial cost for licensing many popular artists' songs. It wasn't until recently that studios started trying to nail down the DVD rights to the music used on the show as part of their initial agreement.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2003 at 12:18 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:ROSWELL Season One on DVD
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2003 at 01:04 AM »
Thanks. Added preorder link to Amazon. :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re: ROSWELL Seasons 1 & 2 on DVD
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2004 at 11:38 PM »

ROSWELL: Season Two is due on DVD on October 5. Here's a breakdown of the discs/features:

Disc 1

1. Episodes: Skin and Bones, Ask Not, Surprise, Summer of '47.
2. Commentary on "Ask Not" by Ronald D. Moore, Exec. Producer/Writer

Disc 2

1. Episodes: The End of the World, Harvest, Wipeout!, Meet the Dupes (pt.1).

Disc 3

1. Episodes: Max in the City (pt.2), A Roswell Christmas Carol, To Serve and Protect, We are Family.
2. Commentary on "A Roswell Christmas Carol" by Jason Katims, Exec. Producer/Writer and Patrick Norris, Director

Disc 4

1. Episodes: Disturbing Behavior (pt.1) How the Other Half Lives (pt. 2), Viva Las Vegas, Heart of Mine.

Disc 5

1. Episodes: Cry Your Name, It's Too Late and It's Too Bad, Baby It's You, Off the Menu.
2. Commentary on "Cry Your Name" by Ronald D. Moore, Exec. Producer/Writer

Disc 6

1. Episode: The Departure.
2. A Little Something Extra for the Fans - Video Montage
3. Storyboard to Scene Featurette
4. Here with Me: Making of Roswell 2 Featurette
5. The Shiri and Majandra Show Featurette
6. Art of Composing Roswell Featurette

DD 5.1
Anamorphic Widescreen
Subtitles: Spanish, English, French
Running Time:924 mins.

SRP: $59.98
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2004 at 11:38 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline ravencreed

• Collector
  • DVD ENTHUSIAST
  • Liked:
Re: ROSWELL Seasons 1 & 2 on DVD
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2004 at 01:44 PM »
i had never seen pa an episode of roswell. how does it ba compare to smallville?

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: ROSWELL Season 3 on DVD
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2005 at 11:17 PM »
Title: Roswell
Starring: Brendan Fehr
Released: 9th August 2005
SRP: $59.98

Further Details
Fox Home Entertainment has kindly provided us with artwork for the third season of Roswell which stars Brendan Fehr. The set will include each and every episode of the third season, presented in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. Extras will include a commentaries on Secrets and Lies and Behind the Music by Jonathan Frakes, executive producer/director, an audio commentary on I Married an Alien by Ronald D. Moore, executive producer/writer, a commentary on Graduation by Jason Katims, executive producer/writer, a Class of 2002 Featurette and Shiri Appleby's Roswell DVD Tour to Japan. This new set will be available to own from the 9th August, priced at $59.98.

from DVDanswers.com

to complete the thread, i just added news for the season 3 release now available.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: ROSWELL Season 3
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2005 at 11:23 PM »
Roswell - Press Release: Roswell - The Complete 3rd Season

The great folks at RoswellMovie.net (who are working hard to convince the powers-that-be to make a feature film based on the series), have posted the offiical press release for Roswell - The Complete 3rd Season. It's chock-full of information about the set that reveals the show's last year on the air (when it was broadcast on UPN). Thanks to Cindy for bringing this to my attention first. Here's the cover art again, followed by the press release:

BY POPULAR DEMAND, THE LAST SEASON OF THE CULT SERIES FAVORITE LAUNCHES ONTO DVD FOR FINAL SEND OFF

"ROSWELL" SEASON THREE DVD COLLECTION

The Highly Praised Television Series Lands On DVD
August 9, 2005 From Fox Home Entertainment
Loaded With All 18 Episodes From The Final Season
With Commentaries, Bonus Featurettes And More

CENTURY CITY, Calif. - The engaging drama of three teenage aliens struggling to find their purpose and identity on earth returns to DVD for the final time when "ROSWELL" SEASON THREE DVD COLLECTION debuts on August 9, 2005 from Fox Home Entertainment. The collectible five-disc box set includes all 18 episodes from the third and final season of the cult television phenomenon, following the alien trio and their handful of loyal human friends as the Air Force and FBI close in. Bonus material includes select episode commentaries, "Class of 2002" featurette, "Shiri Appleby's DVD Tour to Japan" featurette and new cutting-edge songs selected by the original Roswell music team. The "ROSWELL" SEASON THREE DVD COLLECTION box set is priced at $59.98 US/$89.98 Canada. Prebook is July 13, 2005.

Marketing Support Fox Home Entertainment will support the home video DVD release of "ROSWELL" SEASON THREE DVD COLLECTION with an extensive advertising and marketing campaign aiming at the rabid "Roswell" fan base. The release of "Roswell" Season One and "Roswell" Season Two is Fox Home Entertainment's appreciation to the thousands of fans who signed a petition to bring the series to DVD.

"Roswell" Synopsis Living among the citizens of the infamous New Mexico city of Roswell are four who are not there by choice. They are there to follow a destiny given to them by the members of their dying race, a race that they are someday destined to save. Max Evans, Isabel Evans, Michael Guerin and Tess Harding are teenage humans with extraordinary gifts - gifts that are "not-of-this-earth." They are human/alien hybrids, sent here as replacements for the royalty of an alien race. Their counterparts have already perished in a war of attrition, thus one day, the "royal four" will return to their home planet and save their race. Before a fateful day in 1999, the teens hid their gifts. The event that forever changed their lives was when Max healed Liz Parker (a classmate) after she was fatally shot in the stomach in a dispute between two customers at the restaurant where she was a waitress. A close relationship then developed between Max and Liz. "Roswell" is a distinctly science-fiction based show built on the relationships between humans and aliens.

"Roswell" Season Three Synopsis Having grown up in Roswell with only a few close friends aware of their alien origins, Max, Isabel and Michael have finally come of age. Uncertain about what lies ahead of them after graduation, they are suddenly forced into action when it becomes clear that the incidents in which they have used their alien powers to help others have finally caught up with them. As the Air Force and FBI close in, the trio realizes that Roswell is no longer the safe haven it once was. But as they prepare to leave their friends and families behind, Liz has a shocking vision which makes everyone realize that it is not only the aliens who are in danger but their human friends as well.

"ROSWELL" SEASON THREE DVD COLLECTION Special Features: All episodes are compiled on five discs presented in 1.78:1 widescreen with English Dolby 5.1. The following is the breakdown for each disc:

* Disc 1:
          o BUSTED
          o MICHAEL, THE GUYS AND THE GREAT SNAPPLE CAPER
          o SIGNIFICANT OTHERS
          o SECRETS AND LIES
          o Additional Bonus Feature:
                + Commentary on Secrets and Lies by Director/Executive Producer Jonathan Frakes

* Disc 2:
          o CONTROL
          o TO HAVE AND TO HOLD
          o INTERRUPTUS
          o BEHIND THE MUSIC
                + Commentary on Behind the Music by Director/Executive Producer Jonathan Frakes

* Disc 3:
          o SAMUEL RISING
          o A TALE OF TWO PARTIES
          o I MARRIED AN ALIEN
          o CH CH CHANGES
                + Commentary on I Married an Alien by Writer/Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore

* Disc 4:
          o PANACEA
          o CHANT DOWN BABYLON
          o WHO DIED AND MADE YOU KING
          o CRASH

* Disc 5:
          o FOUR ALIENS AND A BABY
          o GRADUATION
                + Commentary on Graduation by Writer/Executive Producer Jason Katims
                + Class of 2002 Featurette
                + Shiri Appleby's Roswell DVD Tour to Japan

A recognized industry leader, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is the marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming on VHS and DVD as well as video acquisitions and original productions for the U.S. and Canada. Each year the Company introduces hundreds of new and newly repackaged products, which it services to more than 70,000 retail outlets - from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce - throughout North America. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is a unit of Fox Filmed Entertainment, a News Corporation company.

from tvshowsondvd.com
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2005 at 11:27 PM by riverfan »