Author Topic: PC HDMI and 192khz/24-bit Audio  (Read 19639 times)

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PC HDMI and 192khz/24-bit Audio
« Reply #30 on: Aug 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM »
I tried it but i never tried the windows settings, i just let it pass whatever resolution of the digital files is.. 44.1, 96 and 192...

For me passing Audio thru hdmi upsampled or not is just ok... I have a collection of good 96/24 files so no need upsampling there ... i just let it pass thru the HDMI thru receiver using it's DAC...and it's still just ok compared to how i'm currently connected now...

In fact i even compared the sound of my PS3 playing 44.1hz music connected via HDMI and via it's optical port. Mas maganda tunog nang music sa Optical vs HDMI, i just used the HDMI sa PS3 so i can watch a movie with HD track...

I like the sound better when i used a dedicated Media player and use its internal dac(Wolfson)...

But nothing beats as my ear is hearing it the sound coming from USB with converter to my Rega DAC then to receiver... But its just me... Other people who hears it might disagree with me.. Will see this saturday :)

We should try the setting of philander sa sept 1 to check how it output the audio compare to the default windows settings or with with sis courage setup.  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline joko11

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 03:33 AM »
tried the method discuss using mp3 at 320kbps with untrained ears and yes theres a lot difference.even with flacs.
nice :D
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2012 at 03:36 AM by joko11 »
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #32 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 06:37 AM »
I wonder why most of the audio enthusiast here don't use this kind of audio set-up. I am using this since 2005 and the audio out is like HD quality, even my high-end SACD/DVD-Audio players has not match to the quality of the 96/24 audio

I think madami na din sumubok pero some would prefer a dedicated stereo amplifier for 2 channel audio. Others would prefer the sonic signature of their external DAC over the AVR.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 06:50 AM »
tried the method discuss using mp3 at 320kbps with untrained ears and yes theres a lot difference.even with flacs.

Nice to hear that. Congrats for having a good audio player without purchasing any additional device or HW.

By the way, may I know your AVR?

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 07:00 AM »
I think madami na din sumubok pero some would prefer a dedicated stereo amplifier for 2 channel audio. Others would prefer the sonic signature of their external DAC over the AVR.

Ah okay, so buti na lang nandito sa HTPC ang thread na ito, for those are audio enthusiast that are fond of HTPC

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #35 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 07:40 AM »
for sure malayo and difference ng AVR sa Integrated AMP
Love me or hate me.....

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 07:42 AM »
@Philander
if you connect your High END CDP to Integrated AMP for sure that CDP will be wonderful

@ Xrampage
lets try it sa Saturday
Love me or hate me.....

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 07:46 AM »

Depende sa preference ng listener. For me, yes.  :D But then of course it would also be dependent sa model ng amp section and DAC ng AVR.

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 08:40 AM »

Nice one brader.  ;D ;D

@Philander
if you connect your High END CDP to Integrated AMP for sure that CDP will be wonderful

@ Xrampage
lets try it sa Saturday

Try talaga natin yan.  ;) ;)
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 09:06 AM »
Depende sa preference ng listener. For me, yes.  :D But then of course it would also be dependent sa model ng amp section and DAC ng AVR.
same goes here hehehe...

if it is music...then ... :'( :'( :'(

i want to try the settings as well.

Gamit ung beats na headphone iunlock ko lang ung windows 7 na laptop dito...
Love me or hate me.....

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 09:54 AM »

Though this is very subjective and will always depend on the brand and model and quality of the Integrated AMP, no brand and model are created equal, so saying just "Integrated AMP" will give better audio is not always true.

Some Receivers (especially mid to high end) have better DAC or audio chipset than some Integ AMPs (and vice versa).

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM »
Main purpose here is to maximize existing system without buying any as compared to shelling out some moolah for expensive AMPs or DACs or any audio device.

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM »
Though this is very subjective and will always depend on the brand and model and quality of the Integrated AMP, no brand and model are created equal, so saying just "Integrated AMP" will give better audio is not always true.

Some Receivers (especially mid to high end) have better DAC or audio chipset than some Integ AMPs (and vice versa).

we can create a thread if you like?

Integrated AMP/Stereo AMP/Tube AMP vs RECEIVER?  in terms of music...MUSIC...
Receivers are really good with MOVIES because they were built that way but for music pwede na but not so good
Integrated AMP / SS/Tube AMp were built for MUSIC

i know its OFF TOPIC
as you can see most members have dedicated stereo because they don't use receiver for music..
Love me or hate me.....

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 10:31 AM »
Main purpose here is to maximize existing system without buying any as compared to shelling out some moolah for expensive AMPs or DACs or any audio device.

yup....that is why we will try the option this saturday kela courage..
like bro nelson stated madami ding sumubok but ended up dedicated stereo

Quote from: Philander on Aug 27, 2012 at 01:24 PM
I wonder why most of the audio enthusiast here don't use this kind of audio set-up. I am using this since 2005 and the audio out is like HD quality, even my high-end SACD/DVD-Audio players has not match to the quality of the 96/24 audio

Love me or hate me.....

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM »
we can create a thread if you like?

Integrated AMP/Stereo AMP/Tube AMP vs RECEIVER?  in terms of music...MUSIC...
Receivers are really good with MOVIES because they were built that way but for music pwede na but not so good
Integrated AMP / SS/Tube AMp were built for MUSIC

i know its OFF TOPIC
as you can see most members have dedicated stereo because they don't use receiver for music..

I think we already have several threads about Integrated AMP vs Receiver.

Alam naman ng karamihan na ang Tube is for Music, Integ Amp can be used sa preout ng receiver for Movies as well.

Hi-end receiver from Marantz, Rotel and even sunfire (or any flagship model) can compete with the Musicale quality of Integ Amp, yung nga lang mas mapapamahal kaysa humuha ng HIgh end Receiver vs mid end receiver plus integ amp.

Subjective din lagi. No one is pushing to use the suggested settings indicated here nor preventing the use of Integ Amp.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 04:07 PM »
I think we already have several threads about Integrated AMP vs Receiver.

Alam naman ng karamihan na ang Tube is for Music, Integ Amp can be used sa preout ng receiver for Movies as well.

May kilala ako, tube hybrid power amp (5.1) combined with marantz prepro.  :D

Offline joko11

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 06:24 PM »
Nice to hear that. Congrats for having a good audio player without purchasing any additional device or HW.

By the way, may I know your AVR?

a simple pio520 ;)
iirc i already tried this tweak before with low bitrate mp3 playing with mpchc and i dont like the outcome so i opt to go back to 44khz and leave the rest that way until i tried mp3 with 320kbps and some flacs playing with foobar
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #47 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 07:48 PM »
Because HDMI is a high jitter interface. It's based off DVI, with audio data included in the stream. With no dedicated lines for audio, audio data has to be encoded and decoded out of the combined data stream.

http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/DigitalAudioJitter.html :)
Walang Setup

Offline gienr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 06, 2012 at 09:13 AM »
I am yet to see a CD player that allows to output of 96/24 audio, moreso the 192/24 using digital output.

They are always 44.1Khz/16-bit and for DVD-Video is 48/16-bit.

For DVD Audio is 96/24
I became curious with your forum so I tried to make adjustments to my settings to be able to hear the "night and day difference" you are saying.  Actually I am using a LG BD 550 player that can output audio at 192khz that will be accepted by my Denon 1909 receiver.  I listened playing music for more than an hour and it really made a difference. It gives you crispy sweet and clear that surpasses my previous listening experience.  I also compared it with my WDTV live 2011.  Using the bluray player for this newly found settings is really a treat and it makes you spending more time with music. I do not know the audio output of WDTV, whether it is 44.1 or 96khz but it is also a good respectable listening pleasure. 
      With regards to some of your comments, I do not have an integrated amp and a DAC and an HTPC that has a HDMI so I could not try exactly what you want to relate. Does the above set of equipment really make a difference?  Maybe someday, magkakaroon din ako.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2012 at 12:49 PM by gienr »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #49 on: Oct 06, 2012 at 09:19 AM »
I became curious with your forum so I tried to make adjustments to my settings to be able to hear the "night and day difference" you are saying.  Actually I am using a LG BD 550 player that can output audio at 192khz that will be accepted by my Denon 1909 receiver.  I listened playing music for more than an hour and it really made a difference. It gives you crispy sweet and clear that surpasses my previous listening experience.  I also compared it with my WDTV live 2011.  Using the bluray player for this newly found settings is really a treat and it makes you spending more time with music. I do not know the audio output of WDTV, whether it is 44.1 or 96khz but it is also a good respectable listening pleasure. 
      With regards to some of your comments, I do not have an integrated amp and a DAC and an HTPC that has a HDMI so I could try exactly what you try to relate to us enthusiasts. Does the above set of equipment really make a difference?  Maybe someday, magkakaroon din ako.

The BD 550 just allows you to set the maximum output sampling rate. The setting that you're referring to is not an upsampling setting, afaik.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 06, 2012 at 09:36 AM »
The BD 550 just allows you to set the maximum output sampling rate. The setting that you're referring to is not an upsampling setting, afaik.

As per him the signal was detected and processed by his receiver....

Hi gienr,
Did the receiver of yours detect the audio as 192/24?

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Oct 06, 2012 at 09:56 AM »
Sir Philander, I am not a techie so your little question if my receiver detects 192/24khz, I cannot answer you. I do not know how or where it shows on the receiver that 192/24khz.  What I know is that it made a difference compared to before.
     Please guide me, thanks

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 06:24 PM »
As per him the signal was detected and processed by his receiver....

Hi gienr,
Did the receiver of yours detect the audio as 192/24?
     My last post was 4 days ago and today, for your information, I installed a video card to my computer so I could have a HDMI out that will connect to my receiver.  I also downloaded J rivers for my player and I adjusted the settings on the j rivers to output a sample frequency of 192/24 but there are some clicking sounds I hear while listening to music so I readjust to output 96/24.  From time to time I am checking the output frequency and it says 96/24 (and the sound is very good, clear audio and everything good).  It is really much much better than listening to plain CD music or FM radio from the receiver.
     I could say that it is highly recommended to enthusiasts (for them to hear good music). That j rivers is also a very very good player, although it is only for trial up to 30 days.  After expiration, how could I continue using it? With payment,ok lang sulit naman.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #53 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 08:01 PM »
     My last post was 4 days ago and today, for your information, I installed a video card to my computer so I could have a HDMI out that will connect to my receiver.  I also downloaded J rivers for my player and I adjusted the settings on the j rivers to output a sample frequency of 192/24 but there are some clicking sounds I hear while listening to music so I readjust to output 96/24.  From time to time I am checking the output frequency and it says 96/24 (and the sound is very good, clear audio and everything good).  It is really much much better than listening to plain CD music or FM radio from the receiver.
     I could say that it is highly recommended to enthusiasts (for them to hear good music). That j rivers is also a very very good player, although it is only for trial up to 30 days.  After expiration, how could I continue using it? With payment,ok lang sulit naman.

You can buy it using your credit card. Just go to their website..
Walang Setup

Offline seymorebutts

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #54 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM »
please help as i want to try this also.

my htpc sound settings can be configured to output 192/24, 96/24 etc, whenever i choose any of those nakikita ko naman sa receiver(hk255) nagiging 96 or 192, i just turn the "auto select" for the surround mode, kapag 192 ang pinili ko all audio is forced to be stereo, kahit yung wav file ko na 5.1 e stereo ang output sa avr, pero pag 96 pababa e logic 7 which is 5.1 sa lahat ng audio file kahit na stereo mp3.

may settings pa po ba ako nakalimutan?

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM »
please help as i want to try this also.

my htpc sound settings can be configured to output 192/24, 96/24 etc, whenever i choose any of those nakikita ko naman sa receiver(hk255) nagiging 96 or 192, i just turn the "auto select" for the surround mode, kapag 192 ang pinili ko all audio is forced to be stereo, kahit yung wav file ko na 5.1 e stereo ang output sa avr, pero pag 96 pababa e logic 7 which is 5.1 sa lahat ng audio file kahit na stereo mp3.

may settings pa po ba ako nakalimutan?

Limitation yan ng 192/24-bit, stereo lang talaga

Offline seymorebutts

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #56 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 02:10 PM »

wow, thanks for that info, though mas gusto ko talaga stereo kaya mina-manual ko pa pag change ng speaker setup dati except for that 5.1 wav file, hanap na lang ako flac equivalent nya

Offline rhodem24

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #57 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 03:07 PM »
Hello po... Nag download ako ng 1 FLAC file (The Eagles - Hotel California). It's a 126MB file then 96Khz, 24-bit... I played it in VLC (PC-HDMI connection) pero bakit napaka hina ng sound?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #58 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 03:27 PM »

Dependent siya sa support nung source at receiver. Hindi lahat may support for multichannel 24/192.

Madalas even dun sa may support, namamatay yung processing kapag 24/192 or higher.

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Oct 22, 2012 at 08:50 AM »
Sir Stagea, out of the topic ba ang utilization ng DAC dito?  O lalong mas OK?