Author Topic: 4K....New HD Technology Hitting Market  (Read 13837 times)

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
Re: 4K....New HD Technology Hitting Market
« Reply #150 on: Sep 16, 2014 at 07:34 AM »
ty sir... changed the cable that came in the box (high speed) same result... :( wait ko nlang skycable to check..

another thing that you may try is updating the firmware (tv and/or cable box) ... might do the trick ... it's quite easy to upgrade the firmware of LG, just needs Internet connection ... yung cable box naman, normally it's readily available from the manufacturer and just need to download the firmware on a USB drive ... just some suggestions you can do while waiting for the new cable box or LG repair
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #151 on: Sep 19, 2014 at 11:40 AM »
Sana maa
ty sir... changed the cable that came in the box (high speed) same result... :( wait ko nlang skycable to check..

Sana maayos hdmi ports mo. Gusto ko din kasi nyan tv na yan. Baka mag sale sa pasko.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #152 on: Sep 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM »
yes sir tried other sources ok nman talagang yung Digibox lang may problem pero sa normal 1080p tv ayos nman... tinawag ko na sa Skycable try daw nila palitan ng ibang digibox.

Most likely TV firmware update lang yan. Tinawag mo na sa LG? Dalawang friends ko na ang nagkaganyang problem with a 2014 LG 4K TV; it was resolved by a firmware update. According to the LG people HDMI handshake issue lang siya, and it can be fixed by an update either on the box or on the TV.

Sa cases ng friends ko, naghahang yung *black* na HD box ng Skycable (newer model na walang branding except "SkyCable" sa front panel) pag sinaksak via HDMI ng nakasindi ang cable box. Pag nakakabit na sila before sindihan ang cable box, no picture (black screen). Yung lumang HD boxes ng Skycable works just fine (Coship brand na *white*  katulad ng mga gamit namin; eto yung malaki pa yung kaha). Both TVs were fixed by a firmware update.

Component video will also do HD. Switch your cable box to 1080i then hook the TV up via component. Sky transmits 1080i video naman, the box just deinterlaces to 1080p. With higher model TVs mas maganda yung deinterlacer nung TV than nung cable box, so mas maganda to set the box to output 1080i/60 (native).

Offline Toslink

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #153 on: Sep 20, 2014 at 09:05 AM »
Sana maa
Sana maayos hdmi ports mo. Gusto ko din kasi nyan tv na yan. Baka mag sale sa pasko.

buy kna sir! 1st time makanood ng passive 3D grabe!! no crosstalk!! pwede mong kalabitin ung tao sa screen!! hehe sa samy 51" and epson pj (both active 3D) sumasakit ulo ng wife and eldest son ko, sa passive daw hindi.

Most likely TV firmware update lang yan. Tinawag mo na sa LG? Dalawang friends ko na ang nagkaganyang problem with a 2014 LG 4K TV; it was resolved by a firmware update. According to the LG people HDMI handshake issue lang siya, and it can be fixed by an update either on the box or on the TV.

Sa cases ng friends ko, naghahang yung *black* na HD box ng Skycable (newer model na walang branding except "SkyCable" sa front panel) pag sinaksak via HDMI ng nakasindi ang cable box. Pag nakakabit na sila before sindihan ang cable box, no picture (black screen). Yung lumang HD boxes ng Skycable works just fine (Coship brand na *white*  katulad ng mga gamit namin; eto yung malaki pa yung kaha). Both TVs were fixed by a firmware update.

Component video will also do HD. Switch your cable box to 1080i then hook the TV up via component. Sky transmits 1080i video naman, the box just deinterlaces to 1080p. With higher model TVs mas maganda yung deinterlacer nung TV than nung cable box, so mas maganda to set the box to output 1080i/60 (native).

updated naman sir firmware - called LG last Tuesday possible HDMI board daw according to LG plus meron led backlight blooming on the upper left corner and lower right corner ng screen very annoying kainis parang laging nka ON yung backlight led- LG Techs requested replacement for a new tv, today daw de-deliver - pull-out-replace nila today - kaso di ko pa din mainstall wait na naman ako sa LG techs to assemble/install the tv maybe on Monday pa, so no TV for me later today up to monday...  try ko ulit kabit ung Digibox with your suggestions today before they pullout later this afternoon - i will experiment on all possible connections/tv resolutions 480i-1080p on Digibox - many thanks! :D
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
Samy 78HU9000 w/ SEK-3500 OCB
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 05:27 AM »
buy kna sir! 1st time makanood ng passive 3D grabe!! no crosstalk!! pwede mong kalabitin ung tao sa screen!! hehe sa samy 51" and epson pj (both active 3D) sumasakit ulo ng wife and eldest son ko, sa passive daw hindi.

updated naman sir firmware - called LG last Tuesday possible HDMI board daw according to LG plus meron led backlight blooming on the upper left corner and lower right corner ng screen very annoying kainis parang laging nka ON yung backlight led- LG Techs requested replacement for a new tv, today daw de-deliver - pull-out-replace nila today - kaso di ko pa din mainstall wait na naman ako sa LG techs to assemble/install the tv maybe on Monday pa, so no TV for me later today up to monday...  try ko ulit kabit ung Digibox with your suggestions today before they pullout later this afternoon - i will experiment on all possible connections/tv resolutions 480i-1080p on Digibox - many thanks! :D

I see. I hope they get to resolve the issue soon sir.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #155 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 07:27 AM »
Toshiba is doing the rounds of Abenson stores.  They're showing off their 84" L93 series 4k TV's as part of a Pro-Theater marketing push.

When I saw it yesterday, I wasn't impressed overall with the PQ, which seemed rather dull. My theory is that this is due to Waltermart North EDSA being brightly lit compared to what I saw in a Japanese department store (Yodobashi-Akiba) a couple of months ago.  I am, however, liking the fact that Tosh is not riding on the curved screen gimmickry of LG and Samsung.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 08:17 AM »
Toshiba is doing the rounds of Abenson stores.  They're showing off their 84" L93 series 4k TV's as part of a Pro-Theater marketing push.

When I saw it yesterday, I wasn't impressed overall with the PQ, which seemed rather dull. My theory is that this is due to Waltermart North EDSA being brightly lit compared to what I saw in a Japanese department store (Yodobashi-Akiba) a couple of months ago.  I am, however, liking the fact that Tosh is not riding on the curved screen gimmickry of LG and Samsung.

I agree. Curved LCD panels worsen the off-axis fade when the viewer is off-center (it might work for OLED though). Sony is continuing the curved LCD screen trend:
http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-bows-curved-4k-tv/

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2014 at 08:19 AM by Stagea »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 08:31 AM »
We might be getting 4k soon... if Amazon counts the Philippines as a part of the globe.
http://advanced-television.com/2014/08/28/samsung-commits-to-global-4k/

I would suppose that Amazon will require the same 15Mbps connection that Netflix requires for usable 4K / UHD streaming.

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM »

Sir naayos na problema mo?  Please update.  Thanks.

Offline Toslink

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Sep 23, 2014 at 09:39 PM »

Sir naayos na problema mo?  Please update.  Thanks.

laki problema ng LG - got 2 units already with severe backlight bleed problem (delivered to my house)- LG Tech recommended a replacement - AGAIN? for the 3rd time?- rushed to Ansons this afternoon to check again my 3rd  unit pero gnun pa din malupit talaga backlight bleed! ang liwanag ng 4 corners and washed out ang colors on left and right side of the screen (1/4 of the screen per side)- according to LG rep @ Ansons, backlight bleeding is "normal" with all their Premium UHDTVs!!! Kahit replace ntin yan ng ireplace same problem lang makikita nyo - ask ko nga sya... kung ikaw bumili ng tv worth almost 300k accept mo ba na "normal" yang backlight bleed??? - sagot nya, No sir! 300k is 300k!!! haha - so no other options for me but to REFUND? tumango sya eh! hahaha - i know that its normal sa mga edge lit displays pero this is terrible!! kinonsider nga ng Technician nila na DEFECT kaya all my 3 replacements were approved right away!- in the end, i decided to get Samsungs's 78" Curved TV - hahaha - Pullout nila 79"LG then replace nila ng 78"Curved Samy this Friday!!! 
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Sep 24, 2014 at 09:47 PM »
laki problema ng LG - got 2 units already with severe backlight bleed problem (delivered to my house)- LG Tech recommended a replacement - AGAIN? for the 3rd time?- rushed to Ansons this afternoon to check again my 3rd  unit pero gnun pa din malupit talaga backlight bleed! ang liwanag ng 4 corners and washed out ang colors on left and right side of the screen (1/4 of the screen per side)- according to LG rep @ Ansons, backlight bleeding is "normal" with all their Premium UHDTVs!!! Kahit replace ntin yan ng ireplace same problem lang makikita nyo - ask ko nga sya... kung ikaw bumili ng tv worth almost 300k accept mo ba na "normal" yang backlight bleed??? - sagot nya, No sir! 300k is 300k!!! haha - so no other options for me but to REFUND? tumango sya eh! hahaha - i know that its normal sa mga edge lit displays pero this is terrible!! kinonsider nga ng Technician nila na DEFECT kaya all my 3 replacements were approved right away!- in the end, i decided to get Samsungs's 78" Curved TV - hahaha - Pullout nila 79"LG then replace nila ng 78"Curved Samy this Friday!!! 

Wow problem nga. Very expensive problem. Taas ng tingin ko sa LG. Didnt think there will be any issues since mas maganda reviews ng LG than Samsung. Anyhow, i hope you find the right tv for you. Hindi muna ako bili. Siguro intayin ko nalang yung Panasonic uhdtv.

Offline greatauror28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • DTS Master Audio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #161 on: Jul 30, 2015 at 10:39 PM »
A very educating article on where UHD stands now

~ article from AVS Forums ~

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/301-avs-forum-articles/2028921-top-10-things-you-need-know-about-choosing-between-hd-uhd.html

Should you get an HD or UHD display for your home theater? There are several things to consider before making this important decision.

1. HD has a pixel resolution of 1920x1080, while UHD (also commonly but inaccurately known as 4K) quadruples the resolution to 3840x2160, but that additional resolution does not offer much visible benefit at typical screen sizes and seating distances. (Of course, you can see a big difference at the "pixel-peeping" distance depicted above, but few people actually sit that close to their TV.)

2. UHD will offer several other enhancements, including high dynamic range (HDR), wider color gamut (WCG), and high frame rate (HFR), but the details are still being worked out. These enhancements will have a much greater impact on image quality than increased resolution.

3. There are several HDR systems vying for acceptance by display manufacturers and content creators, including SMPTE (the only one that's an open industry standard), Dolby Vision, Philips, Technicolor, and BBC.

4. The only currently available consumer displays with HDR and WCG capabilities are the Samsung SUHD TVs, which implement the SMPTE HDR standard; the Vizio Reference Series will offer WCG and Dolby Vision HDR when it is released, presumably later this year. Also, the Panasonic CX850 and Sony X940C LCDs and LG EG9600 OLED are scheduled to get firmware updates that add HDR capabilities—at least for streaming content—this year.

5. There is currently no consumer content with HDR, WCG, or HFR; Disney and Pixar have created HDR/WCG content for commercial cinema using Dolby Vision, and Fox has announced it will produce HDR content for the home market.

6. Streaming services Amazon, M-Go, Netflix, and Vudu have announced plans to provide HDR content this year, but they could use different HDR systems. Will HDR-capable displays be able to decode multiple types of HDR signals? We don't know yet.

7. The only way to stream UHD content at this point is via the display's built-in apps, the Sony FMP-X10 UHD server, or the Nvidia Shield streaming box; a Roku UHD streaming box is under development, as are others, I'm sure.

8. Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs will support the SMPTE, Dolby Vision, and Philips HDR systems as well as WCG when they—and the players needed to play them—start shipping by the end of this year. Those players should also support UHD streaming, presumably with HDR and WCG if available. To play UHD content with HDR from an outboard device, both the device and display must support HDMI 2.0a.

9. Many people argue that a UHDTV can make HD look much better than it does on an HDTV, but that depends on the quality of the display's upscaler, and many others maintain that the increased resolution by itself does not improve the picture quality very much at typical screen sizes and seating distances.

10. Because of all the current uncertainty, I generally recommend that mainstream consumers and enthusiasts with limited means wait to buy a UHD display until the dust settles in a year or two. This recommendation does not necessarily apply to fervent early adopters who replace their display every couple of years anyway; in fact, it's because of them that we see so much progress in the development of all consumer-electronics products.

50P400 BP120 PS3 RTiA7 A1

Offline Kier

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #162 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 02:12 PM »
Mas less ba problem with backlight bleed sa directled than edgelit?

Offline xgh0st12x

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • DVD Guru
  • Reboot nang reboot! Punyeta, puro na lang reboot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #163 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 09:23 PM »
having owned a sammy direct led tv in the past, i would have to say yes.
Formerly SonOfKratos

Offline unsaidsorrow

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Sep 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM »
Hello, I'm planning to buy a new TV next month to replace my aging Pana 32LX80...

Which one is the better choice?

to get a SONY 50W800C or a 4K 49X8300C na around P10,000 ang difference?

I will be using it primarily for Xbox One and PS4 gaming, I know they don't support 4K yet, but I wonder if this would be a smarter option to prepare at least?

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #165 on: Sep 28, 2015 at 11:01 AM »
Hello, I'm planning to buy a new TV next month to replace my aging Pana 32LX80...

Which one is the better choice?

to get a SONY 50W800C or a 4K 49X8300C na around P10,000 ang difference?

I will be using it primarily for Xbox One and PS4 gaming, I know they don't support 4K yet, but I wonder if this would be a smarter option to prepare at least?

get the 4K na!
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline unsaidsorrow

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Sep 28, 2015 at 11:20 AM »
get the 4K na!

Been trying to look for a product review sa TV na 'to, wala pa mahanap eh... :) Anyone here has this TV? Would love to read your inputs!

Thank you!

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Oct 08, 2015 at 05:21 PM »
Any recommendations as to the best value for money (4k) model to upgrade to?

Im currently limited to a 40-42" due to the "limitations" of the shelves in my room

Thanks!

Offline DTNS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Oct 08, 2015 at 06:36 PM »

Im currently limited to a 40-42" due to the "limitations" of the shelves in my room

Thanks!

check LG, Sony, and Samsung's 40-43" 4K offerings. :)

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Oct 12, 2015 at 06:04 AM »

Thanks!

my brother got a 4k 42-inch TCL brand for just a little bit over 20k ... PQ is quite good

Offline DTNS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Oct 12, 2015 at 10:12 AM »
my brother got a 4k 42-inch TCL brand for just a little bit over 20k ... PQ is quite good

where did he get his 42" 4K?

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Oct 12, 2015 at 01:20 PM »
where did he get his 42" 4K?

sellers at Cash & Carry, Ansons I think ... there's one in this forum if I'm not mistaken

Offline DTNS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Oct 12, 2015 at 01:47 PM »
sellers at Cash & Carry, Ansons I think ... there's one in this forum if I'm not mistaken

nice. thanks!

Offline kakashi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Oct 15, 2015 at 02:58 PM »
got myself a samsung 40" 4k curved tv... when i placed it on my stand to replace my old panny 42 plasma... i was surprised by how much extra space i had now compared to when the panny was my main tv.

seems the curved ones actually come out smaller than the regular/ flat ones, and now im thinking if should go for the 48"...

btw, have issues with backlight bleeding, you should test your units thoroughly prior to bringing them home, and if possible, try to setup wireless functionality

my set had no issues when tested, but as soon as i got it connected to youtube to view the recommended 4k videos... i experienced backlight bleeding on the bottom of the screen, it seems whatevers the dominant color, theres a thin line of it at the very bottom of some 4k videos...

samsung will be sending over a tech to investigate this weekend, if its good to be replaced, will probably upgrade to the 48" na din :)

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Oct 15, 2015 at 04:09 PM »
got myself a samsung 40" 4k curved tv... when i placed it on my stand to replace my old panny 42 plasma... i was surprised by how much extra space i had now compared to when the panny was my main tv.

seems the curved ones actually come out smaller than the regular/ flat ones, and now im thinking if should go for the 48"...

btw, have issues with backlight bleeding, you should test your units thoroughly prior to bringing them home, and if possible, try to setup wireless functionality

my set had no issues when tested, but as soon as i got it connected to youtube to view the recommended 4k videos... i experienced backlight bleeding on the bottom of the screen, it seems whatevers the dominant color, theres a thin line of it at the very bottom of some 4k videos...

samsung will be sending over a tech to investigate this weekend, if its good to be replaced, will probably upgrade to the 48" na din :)
basta edge lighting na LED you will really notice backlight bleeding and it really bothers me a lot kaya upto now i still stick to my F8500 plasma. 4k LED does not amaze me except for that Sony's X94C 4k TV but an OLED tv it was something more to behold :D
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2015 at 04:14 PM by skooter »

Offline kakashi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Oct 15, 2015 at 04:35 PM »
basta edge lighting na LED you will really notice backlight bleeding and it really bothers me a lot kaya upto now i still stick to my F8500 plasma. 4k LED does not amaze me except for that Sony's X94C 4k TV but an OLED tv it was something more to behold :D

Hi Skooter, so does this mean the bleeding will always be there, and its not considered a defect?

Or is it a case to case basis?

Thanks!

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Oct 15, 2015 at 04:44 PM »
meron talagang yan..normal for an LED tv even those high-end ones but controlled somehow.

Offline Toslink

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Oct 16, 2015 at 11:08 AM »
... just sharing the black uniformity of my Samsung 78HU9000 (Edge-Lit LED) last year's Samsung flagship model...

no visible clouding...

@ Normal Mode

@ Movie Mode

@ Dynamic Mode

Edge-Lit TVs are prone to clouding/bleeding pero hindi ibig sabihin eh "normal" yun!! according to Samsung and LG, hindi daw nila irerelease mga Edge-Lit nila sa market kung magiging "normal" ang clouding sa mga units nila, mishandling during packaging and transporting "daw" ang cause ng clouding (pressure on some areas ng panel during packaging - paghawak)... if you ask the marketing people of both brands, sasabihin nila "normal" yan (iwas paper works for replacement) pero if you ask the tech guys sasabihin nila defect yan!!.. may experience na kasi akong ganito sa LG hehehe magkaiba sila ng opinion pero IMO tama nman ang mga tech guys!... in the end aproved pa din for replacement ang unit ko!!... yun lang Samsung na kinuha ko!! :D
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline Kier

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
4K....New HD Technology Hitting Market
« Reply #178 on: Oct 16, 2015 at 04:43 PM »
Para ngang iwas ako sa edgelit, lalo na dun sa mga low tier model.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2015 at 04:50 PM by Kier »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Oct 16, 2015 at 06:11 PM »
same here, edgelit TV sucks...the FALD(FULL ARRAY LOCAL Dimming) such as the Sony's X94C is such an excellent 4K LED TV.