Author Topic: Speaker Comparisons  (Read 202088 times)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Speaker Comparisons
« Reply #60 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 04:27 PM »
How i really want to see even just the pics of this 375k speaker setup  :o -- ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline aHobbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 04:41 PM »
How i really want to see even just the pics of this 375k speaker setup  :o -- ;D

ako I want to see the pix of the 375T!  ;D
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline rebelsage

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 07:16 PM »
Is it OK for you to invite me so I can listen to your SVS!  ;D  The EP350 is just right. Medyo OK nga for the price.

why not?  send me a pm and we can talk about it.

Offline joedancy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Wharfedale or Aurum Cantus???
« Reply #63 on: Aug 01, 2005 at 05:44 AM »
get the 9.4s, spoke to guy at wharfdale, he told ne a review in usa, said they were best, i own 9.4s, think i agree.

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Aug 01, 2005 at 02:02 PM »
yeah av_phile the Yamaha has impedance selector at the back.  So do you think it can drive the 4 Ohm Aurum Cantus if I decided to get them?  I saw the specs and it shows although they are 4 Ohms efficient naman sya, I think 91dB ata efficiency nya. 

What other speakers would you recommend for 15K?  I'm willing to stretch this to 20K

Thanks

I dont think you'll have problem driving the Aurum Cantus speaker, its a very efficient speaker although 4 Ohms it has 90 dB sensitivity better that 8 ohms with 86 to 88 dB. Aurun Cantus also has stable impedance that only dip to 3.2 Ohms, again better than other brands that labeled 8 Ohms that dips to 2 Ohms  >:D

FYI these speakers F6600 and F5508 can be driven by 6 watts tube amp - 8 Ohms tapping.  ;)

If your going to asked which sounds better, I dont want to be biased. I'll just advise you to audition. :) or PM the Aurum cantus owners and asked for their opinion :D

Cheers

Offline shotgun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #65 on: Aug 01, 2005 at 02:12 PM »
For floorstanders try out Mordaunt Short 904 (12K) or 906 (18K). They would fit in your budget.
+63917-8261578

Offline bhongskie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Aug 01, 2005 at 02:13 PM »
I dont think you'll have problem driving the Aurum Cantus speaker, its a very efficient speaker although 4 Ohms it has 90 dB sensitivity better that 8 ohms with 86 to 88 dB. Aurun Cantus also has stable impedance that only dip to 3.2 Ohms, again better than other brands that labeled 8 Ohms that dips to 2 Ohms  >:D

FYI these speakers F6600 and F5508 can be driven by 6 watts tube amp - 8 Ohms tapping.  ;)

If your going to asked which sounds better, I dont want to be biased. I'll just advise you to audition. :) or PM the Aurum cantus owners and asked for their opinion :D

Cheers

Where can I audition the Aurum Cantus?  Where's the store located?  

Thanks

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Aug 01, 2005 at 02:15 PM »
For floorstanders try out Mordaunt Short 904 (12K) or 906 (18K). They would fit in your budget.

Yeah I've been looking to audition the MS904.  WOuld you know which stores carry the 904?  And which stores offer the 904 at 18K?

Thanks

Online bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #68 on: Aug 01, 2005 at 02:19 PM »
Yeah I've been looking to audition the MS904.  WOuld you know which stores carry the 904?  And which stores offer the 904 at 18K?

Thanks

OT:
5th Ave. The 904 costs 12k.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2005 at 02:23 PM by bumblebee »

Offline shotgun

• Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Aug 01, 2005 at 02:20 PM »
5th Ave in Shangrila. Cash price for the 906 was 18+++K and 904 was 12+++K.  Can't remember the exact price.
+63917-8261578

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Aug 01, 2005 at 03:07 PM »
bhongskie,

Try to pm Jetok about Yamaha 440 + 9.6 combo meron sya setup ganyan.. with 9CM  ;D ;D ;D heard good result sa HT especially sa dialogue due to 9CM. :) :) :)

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 09:24 AM »
Thanks bumblebee and shotgun, will try to audition the MS906 at 5th ave. 

btw, a lot of people in the forum have the impression that the MS line is "bright" and a lot also agree that yamaha is a "bright" receiver.  do you think this would be a good combo?

Hans,

thanks, I'll try to pm jetok and ask what he thinks of the yammy-wharfedale combo.

Offline shotgun

• Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 09:32 AM »
I've only head the MS with Marantz, which they say is warm. Might be good to audition it with Yamahas. Good luck! ;)
+63917-8261578

Online bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 09:37 AM »
Thanks bumblebee and shotgun, will try to audition the MS906 at 5th ave. 

btw, a lot of people in the forum have the impression that the MS line is "bright" and a lot also agree that yamaha is a "bright" receiver.  do you think this would be a good combo?

It's for you to decide, really. If the combo sounds good for you, then get the combo. Also, listen to the MS914 (2-way floorstander w/ 6.5" woofer). I liked it better than the MS906 both in sound and looks (the Avant version doesn't have the rounded edges :().

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 09:46 AM »
What's the size of the woofers of the 906?

Online bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 09:52 AM »
What's the size of the woofers of the 906?

Model Avant 906

Frequency response (Hz) 45-22k
Sensitivity (dB) 90
Impedance (nominal) (Ohms) 4-8
Power rating (Watts RMS) 15-150
Drivers* (2) 130mm aluminium CPC mid/bass (1) 25mm aluminium dome tweeter
X-Over type 2.5way 2nd order LF, 1st order MF and HF with DVP
Dimensions (hxwxd) (mm) 850x165x295 (inches) 33.5x6.5x11.6
Weight (kg) 12 (lbs) 26.4
Magnetic shielding Yes
Finish  Honey Maple, Black

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 10:35 AM »
Thanks again bumblebee

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 05:13 PM »

Thanks

You can audition at 2/F Madison Square bldg., Libis, QC.
Infront of shopwise besides HSBC
Tel. 395-9115 or 0918-9068718

F6600 is the only model available, other models are out of stock.  :( >:D 8)

My advise to you is audition, audition, audition. Don't believe or rely on tittle-tattle, trust your ears its your money your spending.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Offline parasound

• Collector
  • Tubo at Papel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #78 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 05:49 PM »

Thanks

Try to contact cyber machine, authorized dealer sila ng Aurum Cantus ;)
Fullrange.. Fullrange.. Fullrange.. Fullrange

Offline chanbeng

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Usher S520 or Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or AE Evo 1?
« Reply #79 on: Aug 09, 2005 at 06:22 PM »
Hi,

I am looking for bookshelf speakers for my bedroom which is 10 feet by 10 feet.

I don't prefer bright speakers. I have marantz amplifier PM 80 (100 watts).

I have short listed 3 speakers. Usher S520 or Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or AE Evo 1.

If sound quality is the only criteria, how many stars (out of a maximum 10 ) would you give to each of these 3 speakers?

thanks in advance

cbs

Offline theshade

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
usher x-719 vs meadowlark kestrel 1 vs wharfedale 9.6
« Reply #80 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 12:10 PM »
can you guys help me choose between these speakers? thanks.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2005 at 12:32 PM by theshade »

Online bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: usher x-719 vs meadowlark kestrel 1 vs wharfedale 1.6
« Reply #81 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 12:16 PM »
can you guys help me choose between these speakers? thanks.

You mean Wharfedale 9.6? If so, hindi kaya masyadong mababa ang presyo nito compared to the first 2? ???

Offline theshade

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: usher x-719 vs meadowlark kestrel 1 vs wharfedale 9.6
« Reply #82 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 12:42 PM »
sorry i meant 9.6. mistype. mababa nga yung peso price ng 9.6. pero more or less malapitlapit dollar prices nila. or should i really not consider the 9.6? i just included it because i think its a great bargain and i do not want to spend more money on possibly very small differences.  But i am not saying that i am not willing to spend for the x-719 or kestrel 1, i just want to have feedback from experienced listeners.  I know that we might be hearing differently but i want to have opinions nonetheless.  Because i find it difficult to compare speakers when i go from shop to shop. Tapos iba iba pa yung listening room. 

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 856
« Reply #83 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 01:35 PM »
theshade

what amp do you plan to mate w/ the speakers? pure audio or HT/audio use? budget? room size? choice of music?  those factors will greatly influence your decision in choosing among the three brands.

had the chance to hear both the 9.6 and the X719.  If cost is no concern, you have the right amp, your room is on the small to medium size and if you plan on using the speakers strictly for audio then choose the X-719.  between the two speakers the X-719 will simply stand out specially in coherence, prat and bass definition. out of the box..it simply sounds right from the very first time you fire it up.  If for double duty (HT/audio), big bad bass is needed and budget is a concern then it might be a good idea to build your system around the Wharfedales

have not yet auditioned the Meadowlarks yet so I dont have an idea of what are its strong/weak points.

my.02 cents. Happy hunting.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2005 at 01:45 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #84 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 02:03 PM »
totally agree with synchro...but again, this depends on your ears...so you have to audition...a good number of our members here are enjoying their wharfedale 9.6, however hey have a bigger room vs. the others so the 9.6 is a great catch for them...for smaller rooms, i would recommend a bookshelf pair...the Usher x-719 would be a good choice...have personally heard these speakers, and yes, cohenrence, PRAT and bass definition are its strengths...for more info on the wharfedales, you may want to ask our fellow members jetok, hans adriane...for the ushers, try mighty mike and levi...by the way if you decide to get the 9.6, do let me know, might be able to get one for you at a good price...just text me 0917-8004868...many thanks and good luck! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline theshade

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 05:11 PM »
Synchro

Sorry, I should have placed this info along with my previous post. I have an HK130 that I plan to use with the speakers.  It would be used for 80/20 in favor of music. My choice of music is varied from jazz to folk rock to metal. But personally I do not think that audio/ht use and musical preference would be a factor.  I am leaning towards the camp into hearing what is recorded be it a good or bad recording so I would like to have accurate speakers that could go loud without strain and with good bass extension as well as definition cause sometimes I crank it up when I listen to metal. This means that the speakers I would like to have are those that are most free from colorations.  Aside from that I want a speaker that could image well. So my criteria probably would be accurate, images well, can play loud without strain, good bass extension and definition. I also think that this type of speaker would be appropriate both for home theater and audio if my goal is to hear what is recorded be it an audio or home theatre soundtrack. 

Sana makahanap ng ganung speaker na within my budget. Budget is about 30 to 50k but it could be used up purely for two channels or for a complete 5.1 system depending on what speakers I choose. Room size, I know its very important pero mahirap idescribe room ko dahil irregular yung shape and placement ng speakers so I don’t know kung nakakaapekto bay un sa room dimensions. Ill post specifics later.   

Thank you for the feedback. I just have a question cause as someone inexperienced I don’t know what you mean by prat.  Thanks a lot.

Offline theshade

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 05:12 PM »
Superman, thanks for the feedback and the names. Ill text you if ever I decide on the wharfedales. 

Tanong lang sa comment mo sa 9.6 tungkol sa rooms, could you elaborate. Thanks a lot.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 08:30 PM »
Synchro

Sorry, I should have placed this info along with my previous post. I have an HK130 that I plan to use with the speakers.  It would be used for 80/20 in favor of music. My choice of music is varied from jazz to folk rock to metal. But personally I do not think that audio/ht use and musical preference would be a factor.  I am leaning towards the camp into hearing what is recorded be it a good or bad recording so I would like to have accurate speakers that could go loud without strain and with good bass extension as well as definition cause sometimes I crank it up when I listen to metal. This means that the speakers I would like to have are those that are most free from colorations.  Aside from that I want a speaker that could image well. So my criteria probably would be accurate, images well, can play loud without strain, good bass extension and definition. I also think that this type of speaker would be appropriate both for home theater and audio if my goal is to hear what is recorded be it an audio or home theatre soundtrack.

Sana makahanap ng ganung speaker na within my budget. Budget is about 30 to 50k but it could be used up purely for two channels or for a complete 5.1 system depending on what speakers I choose. Room size, I know its very important pero mahirap idescribe room ko dahil irregular yung shape and placement ng speakers so I don’t know kung nakakaapekto bay un sa room dimensions. Ill post specifics later.   

Thank you for the feedback. I just have a question cause as someone inexperienced I don’t know what you mean by prat.  Thanks a lot.

Try to pm Jetok about 9.6 mabait na mama yan..  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 856
« Reply #88 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 11:23 PM »
theshade

*PRAT - Pace, Rythm And Timing.

what is the size/dimensions of your room (HxWxL)?? 
If you plan on setting up a complete 5.1 system with a budget of Php50T then you have limited choices...entry level models from Aurum, Dali, Mission, B&W, Monitor aside from the aforementioned Wharfes and Usher are the ones that are "in" right now and will probably fit in your 50K budget.  do try to audition the speaker sets from different stores and hear how each brand sounds like. bring CD's that are familiar to you and take notes bro...If I were you i'll bring the Harman Kardon AVR too so that you will have a pretty good idea of how each set will sound like when you mate it with your AVR. Im sure the staff of those stores can accomodate a simple request.
   word of warning though..with the aforementioned set of criterias that you have in mind..shoehorning entry level 5.1 speakers to your budget of 50K will get you a set of good price/performance speakers but IMHO are not the ones that will get you off the merry-go-round cycle of speaker upgrades. 

Now the playing field is totally different if you allocate the Php50T for a pair of speakers alone....if your priority is 80/20 in favor of music then this is the route I will take if I were you.
if coherence, PRAT, imaging, accuracy, definition, neutrality etc is what you are looking for then the main front L & R stereo speakers is of prime importance. I'll blow away the entire budget for a superb stereo pair and in time I'll just get run of the mill center/surround/subs for that once a week  DVD trip.  Your budget can now get you mid end speakers from Dali, Monitor, Usher, Triangle and entry level Dynaudio's and Von Schweikerts. 

take your time in auditioning...we all know na medyo mahal ang gas/diesel these days and time consuming ang auditioning but its a must if we are to get speakers that we intend to live with for the next couple of years...not for the next few months only.

my .02 cents.....others may have diffrent opinions as well.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 11:46 PM »
I just sold my X719 because of an amp issue ( my amp is only 8watts ) but given enough power this speaker would really sing. Another good thing is the bass of the speaker. I dont think you could find a bookshelf speaker at this price range that could match the power and quality of the bass plus it has a very good midrange. Lastly when it comes to looks the X719 has it.