Author Topic: Speaker Comparisons  (Read 203198 times)

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Speaker Comparisons
« Reply #90 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 07:29 AM »
theshade,

If you're more into audio, I suggest getting an integrated amp or a pre/power combo. I don't think any mid-level av receiver can beat a dedicated 2-channel amp. Do your speakers justice.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2005 at 07:54 AM by bumblebee »

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: usher x-719 vs meadowlark kestrel 1 vs wharfedale 9.6
« Reply #91 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 08:34 AM »
theshade

*PRAT - Pace, Rythm And Timing.

what is the size/dimensions of your room (HxWxL)?? 
If you plan on setting up a complete 5.1 system with a budget of Php50T then you have limited choices...entry level models from Aurum, Dali, Mission, B&W, Monitor aside from the aforementioned Wharfes and Usher are the ones that are "in" right now and will probably fit in your 50K budget.  do try to audition the speaker sets from different stores and hear how each brand sounds like. bring CD's that are familiar to you and take notes bro...If I were you i'll bring the Harman Kardon AVR too so that you will have a pretty good idea of how each set will sound like when you mate it with your AVR. Im sure the staff of those stores can accomodate a simple request.
   word of warning though..with the aforementioned set of criterias that you have in mind..shoehorning entry level 5.1 speakers to your budget of 50K will get you a set of good price/performance speakers but IMHO are not the ones that will get you off the merry-go-round cycle of speaker upgrades. 

Now the playing field is totally different if you allocate the Php50T for a pair of speakers alone....if your priority is 80/20 in favor of music then this is the route I will take if I were you.
if coherence, PRAT, imaging, accuracy, definition, neutrality etc is what you are looking for then the main front L & R stereo speakers is of prime importance. I'll blow away the entire budget for a superb stereo pair and in time I'll just get run of the mill center/surround/subs for that once a week  DVD trip.  Your budget can now get you mid end speakers from Dali, Monitor, Usher, Triangle and entry level Dynaudio's and Von Schweikerts. 

take your time in auditioning...we all know na medyo mahal ang gas/diesel these days and time consuming ang auditioning but its a must if we are to get speakers that we intend to live with for the next couple of years...not for the next few months only.

my .02 cents.....others may have diffrent opinions as well.

Totally agree that your front speakers are one of the important part of your setup so better audition as much as you can before you buy. ;D ;D

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
Re: usher x-719 vs meadowlark kestrel 1 vs wharfedale 9.6
« Reply #92 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 12:57 PM »
Synchro

...would be accurate, images well, can play loud without strain, good bass extension and definition. I also think that this type of speaker would be appropriate both for home theater and audio if my goal is to hear what is recorded be it an audio or home theatre soundtrack. 

...for a complete 5.1 system depending on what speakers I choose. Room size, I know its very important pero mahirap idescribe room ko dahil irregular yung shape and placement ng speakers so I don’t know kung nakakaapekto bay un sa room dimensions. Ill post specifics later.   

Thank you for the feedback. I just have a question cause as someone inexperienced I don’t know what you mean by prat.  Thanks a lot.

Its like you are describing the (diamonds) 9.6 here!

Irregular room? perfect - probably more placement flexibilities!
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Aug 12, 2005 at 10:59 AM »
For speaker comparison should be on the same level, floor stander is only for floorstander, bookshelf VS bookshelf. First Bookshelf sounds different based on the height of the stand, more lower extra bass but sacrificing the soundstage.
Second: Frequency range of floorstander & bookshelf  have slight difference on the lower frequency band.
Third: Booth floorstander & bookshelf speakers have it's own advantages as well as disadvantages i mean weaknesses.
Generally if your looking for the best speakers for you AUDITION! AUDITION! AUDITION! look for the speakers that can match your system and follow your preference or else you will end-up to "Asstd. Buy & Sell" thread hehehe (kidding)
I want to set an example OT: X-719 (BS) has more dynamic than Dali IKON-6(FS) more punch on the X but if your preference is the voice (midbass) IKON-6 really sings! (This is just my observation)

Shape/size/condition of the room affects the Soundstage & Imaging of sound reproductions but the real characteristic of speakers are already fixed. (Freq. range, Dynamic range, tonal balance, resolution, articulation, accuracy more to mention).

odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline rebelsage

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Aug 14, 2005 at 10:34 AM »
ideally you should audition the speakers in your location.  too bad very few dealers, if at all, will lend you the speakers for this purpose.

Offline har

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
b&w vs. mordaunt-short
« Reply #95 on: Aug 14, 2005 at 11:53 PM »
which is better between the b&w dm303 (bookshelf) with lcr 3 (center) or the mordaunt-short ms 905 (center) with the ms 904 (floor standing)? im considering the two for use with either a harman-kardon 235  or a marantz 4500

Kevlar

« Reply #96 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 01:09 PM »
Personal taste varies from one listener to another.  I suggest you audition
both speakers by bringing a test CD with you, preferably a simple
acoustic guitar music with clear vocals.  (Suggestion: Almost Kinda Acoustic CD.
Tracks #1 and #2 - "I'll Be" and "Unwell").

Close your eyes and see which of the two speakers reproduce sound which
is closer to a 'live performance' or a 'live person' singing with a guitar, in front of you.
A good speaker should have the guitar sounding like a real, live acoustic guitar
and the male vocals, like a real male singer singing in front of you.

In this regard, I prefer B&W (600, 700 and 800 series) over any other speaker
brands I've auditioned.   I've auditioned many speakers from mid-fi:
Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Bose, Panasonic, etc., to the most expensive
speaker lines of B&W (800 series), Dynaudio and Revel.

I haven't auditioned the specific Mordaunt-short model you are talking about and
neither have I auditioned the entry level B&W 303 you mentioned so I can't
say for sure which is better.  If you had mentioned a higher model B&W speaker
however, (600 series and up), I would strongly recommend it over any
model of Mordaunt-short speakers.

In summary, there's no subsitute for listening for yourself.  Go ahead, bring
the test CD with you and listen for at least 10 - 15 minutes per speaker. 
Remember to always close your eyes and evaluate the speaker's merits
based on which of the two speakers sound closer to a live performer
playing a guitar in front of you.

Good luck.

- Kevlar

Offline czedryk

• Collector
  • VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI
  • Liked:
Re: b&w vs. mordaunt-short
« Reply #97 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 03:51 PM »
which is better between the b&w dm303 (bookshelf) with lcr 3 (center) or the mordaunt-short ms 905 (center) with the ms 904 (floor standing)? im considering the two for use with either a harman-kardon 235  or a marantz 4500

I totally agree with Kevlar... We cannot decide for you, only your ears can... It is said that "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder", well in our case it's "in the ears of the beholder" ;D
Audition both, bring with you CDs/DVDs that you can use as reference in deciding, and most of all enjoy the hunt... ;)

Offline har

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
aurum cantus speakers vs. sonus faber speakers
« Reply #98 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 11:58 AM »
which do you prefer? aurum cantus or sonus faber?

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
Re: aurum cantus speakers vs. sonus faber speakers
« Reply #99 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 12:41 PM »
what specific model are you trying to compare/audition? have you done any actual audition? audition is the key...thanks! just my 2-cents...
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 01:50 PM »
Sonus faber.

Offline jakeadriano

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm not new here! :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Aug 28, 2005 at 12:37 PM »
aurumcantus ;D ;D

Offline acg

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Sep 03, 2005 at 08:13 AM »
anyone here auditioned Focal JMLab Chorus 714s? i know its audition, audition, audition but i would also like feedback from others who have listened to it. I searched the net for reviews and there's only a few but they seem to like these speakers.
I posted in another thread about comparing B&W 603/4, Mission M53 and JMLab. Can't decide which one. I'm of the impression B&W might be a better performer in HT and JMLab in music. Mission might be somewhere in the middle? Any opinions?

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: Speaker Comparisons - Wharf 9.6, Dali Concept 6 & Mission M34
« Reply #103 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 02:58 PM »
Greetings!

Before I could share a piece of my aural experience last Saturday, let me extend my sincerest gratitude to the host AKYATBUNDOK aka Roger for accommodating us in his condo. Moreover, to the other audiophiles I’ve met for the first time and accepted me in their circles as if I’ve been with them since day one. Jetok ( 9.6 cool dude ),  Hans ( PR man for the Dali’s ), S2Kov, Rony ( LP guru ), Atty, Punk Kid, Wanderlust, Kimpao, Iceman, Jojo ( DIY amp master ), Matzer (for providing the Missions) :D ( Sorry if im a little bit rusty but there were others but my memory fails me..you know who you are, though ). And to Supes, who broke the ice to make this shootout push-through. ( we left the windows open despite the downpour, just in case you’d swoop down a while ) ;)

The following are personal views and not in anyway a consensus of the majority. It is my purpose to hunt down a speaker to replace my present HT setup. This would serve a dual purpose for Audio and Video in the future if I integrate both for practical space saving reasons. Let me run you through the music rather than the hardware for comparative purposes:

Jacintha’s Moon River (Autumn Leaves – Groove Note LP)
Wharf 9.6: Commanding presence in height (not the speaker). Its disappearing act is really amazing considering its size. Jacintha’s vocals - palpable and sound staging – wide. Being an owner of a metal dome speaker I kinda miss a bit of the highs not to the point of sibilance though. But the mids were really engaging in this track.

Dali C-6: Being the midget here, I couldn’t believe the depth & sound staging prowess of this floorstander. Highs were very sweet and extended but not sibilant compared to my present monitor. It would not be surprising to note that this would sound a bit sibilant if compared next to the 9.6. Purity in the midrange was evident.

Missions were still on its way.

Dave Brubeck’s Take Five ( Time Out - Columbia 6eye reissue )
Wharf 9.6: Biggest soundstage. Lowest bass notes were heard and felt! Thumps of the drums were very realistic giving the listener a feeling to stomp along as you listened. My only reservation was the perception of a midrange honk while the sax was being played. This might be due to the midrange driver which I was not used to or it being more sensitive than the other speaker.

Dali C-6: This track was quite revealing when played here. The bass was not as deep as the 9.6, but it was tight and musical. The timbre and focus of the piano was accurate and spot on. But the true gem in this track was the drum solo. As one might put it…”Variations in hits of the drums were very clearly appreciated, almost seen!” I really enjoyed this track!

Missions: This speaker came a little late so I wasn’t able to clearly note its difference from the others.

Laurindo Almeida’s Feels So Good  ( New Directions – Crystal Clear Records )
Wharf 9.6: Guitars were warm and transparent. Again, The bass was went deep but defined, never muddy nor boomy. Drum solo was similar to the previous track.

Dali C-6: Guitar’s plucks and fretwork slides were heard clearly. Among the three this excelled much on detail retrieval! Like the former track, the drum solo here was breathtaking! Visceral Impact, Rhythm and Pace of the thumps wanted me to get up and do a drum-act myself.

Mission M34: Hooked up and warmed up, it performed in a very balanced manner but had a certain muddiness which was remedied by the placement of the foam bung. It was never tiring but very engaging.

Linda Ronstadt’s What’s New – ( What’s New – Asylum Records )
Wharf 9.6: Here is the track that fits this speaker to a T! Owning personally 3 formats of this album ( no mo-fi pressing though ), I can conclude that this track is a test for sibilance. Almost all speakers that I’ve heard this one exhibited the characteristic shrill of Linda’s voice. But the 9.6 tamed this track giving it a very relaxing live performance. If you’re a Ronstadt fan, this speaker is for you!

Dali C-6 & Mission M34: Both speakers performed on an equal scale of vocal presence. Soundstage remained wide but a noticeable accurate focus of Linda was appreciated some would term as Air around the singer. After hearing the relaxing 9.6, as I said before, one might find these two on the brighter side. But this is purely subjective.

Aesthetics, Built and Make:
Wharf 9.6: Looming Giant. Fabulous Kevlar drivers. Elegant cherry vinyl laminate finish. Biwirable gold plated terminals. Spikes included. A unique blend of a soft dome tweeter, midrange driver, mid bass & woofer drivers and a rear firing port for the price. Better placed at least 2 feet away from corners.

Dali C-6: Best looking speaker with or without the grills. Two Tone: Grey and Cherry vinyl laminate finish but would be mistaken for a wood veneer one! Combination of a soft dome tweeter, and two woofers made up of a paper wood pulp mixture. The only front ported one among the three. One set of gold plated speaker terminals. Spikes included.

Mission M34: Black ash laminate finish with a touch of silver linings along the drivers which is composed of a soft dome tweeter and two woofers. Rear firing port with spikes & foam bung included? ( Matt, can you confirm this? )Biwirable!

« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2005 at 04:41 PM by esi »
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline fweyd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 04:23 PM »
esi :

can u suggest more piano oriented songs ?? parang Jacintha - Moon River ?? Ganda kc e  ;D

gosh, im 17 yrs old.. and i listen to death metal (dimmu borgir, Nile, In flames etc..) and I happen to like this ;D

Miski Euros 6 lang speakers ko sobrang satisfied ako  :) :)
Tool.

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 08:08 PM »
esi :

can u suggest more piano oriented songs ?? parang Jacintha - Moon River ?? Ganda kc e  ;D

gosh, im 17 yrs old.. and i listen to death metal (dimmu borgir, Nile, In flames etc..) and I happen to like this ;D

Miski Euros 6 lang speakers ko sobrang satisfied ako  :) :)

Listen to Corrine May and emi Fujita for starters. Btw, I can't seem to make out what your speakers are? Can you tell me more about it or better yet post it. Cheers!

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 08:17 PM »
euros 6 are speakers made by dai-1chi

Offline vvt-i

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 10:25 PM »
esi,

spot on review.  :) 

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #108 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 07:01 AM »
great review, doc! :D pwede ka na mag-sideline as reviewer sa hi-fi choice, stereophile and what hi-fi, hehehe! :D :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 03:49 PM »
Thanks esi for that comprehensive and unbiased review  :)
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 04:46 PM »
jet, Supes, & jairus,

It was my pleasure to write that review. I made it in exactly that manner. This is quite a break from my routine of work. What a breather! ;D Cheers & happy listening!

Offline Platinum

• Trade Count: (+185)
  • Collector
  • Happy with what I have, working for what I want...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #111 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 04:54 PM »
Great review Boss Esi!
How about AURUM CANTUS vs DALI?  :o
Enjoy what you have!

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 08:00 PM »
Great review Boss Esi!
How about AURUM CANTUS vs DALI?  :o

Hey not a bad idea. Any comments to keep the ball rolling again. Hey hans, PR man, sey mo?  ;D

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 08:57 PM »
If you plan to have another shootout for DALI and Aurum Cantus, we might include master rony's 2a3 amp! ;D What do you think master rony?

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 11:04 PM »
what models from aurum cantus and dali will be pitted against each other ?

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #115 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 01:21 AM »
Teka di ako bibili.  :o :o Pero kaya kaya ng 3 watter yan.  ??? ???

Parang ang luwag kasi tumunog sa 10 watter ni chief akyat.  8) 8) Parang me pag asa.

Magandang upgrade path yan Andy. Sige test natin sa 3 watter.  :)

Teka bakit yun amp ko di yun sayo eh ikaw naman ang nag hahanap ng speakers. ;D ;D

Tahimik na yun setup ko huwag mo na guluhin. :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 07:00 AM »
Hey not a bad idea. Any comments to keep the ball rolling again. Hey hans, PR man, sey mo?  ;D

Doc,

Will try to coordinate with audio amplified again last time suppose to audition the F series di lang natuloy pero possible yan.. ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Aurum cantus vs DALI ?? hhmmm  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 08:27 AM »
May potential kayanin yung amp at naka Tango OPT at RCA 2A3 na kasi yung syo! ;D ;D ;D Kpag kinaya naman yan alam ko'ng mag-iisip ka eh! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Teka di ako bibili.  :o :o Pero kaya kaya ng 3 watter yan.  ??? ???

Parang ang luwag kasi tumunog sa 10 watter ni chief akyat.  8) 8) Parang me pag asa.

Magandang upgrade path yan Andy. Sige test natin sa 3 watter.  :)

Teka bakit yun amp ko di yun sayo eh ikaw naman ang nag hahanap ng speakers. ;D ;D

Tahimik na yun setup ko huwag mo na guluhin. :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 08:40 AM »
May potential kayanin yung amp at naka Tango OPT at RCA 2A3 na kasi yung syo! ;D ;D ;D Kpag kinaya naman yan alam ko'ng mag-iisip ka eh! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ayaw pumayag ni rony kasi floorstanders na naman ang shootout... subukan nyo bookshelf naman, papayag yan pagamit amp nya ;D
money is best spent

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #119 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 08:48 AM »
Nakuha ko na yun magandang combination sa hardware kaya tigil na ko sa upgrade diyan. ::) ::) ::)

Nasa software na lang binibili ko gaya ng CD, DVD, LP ;)

Pero kung gusto mo talaga mapa kinggan sa SET sige dalhin ko pero sure ako ikaw ang mapapabili. :-[ :-[