Author Topic: 2 channel sound set-up help  (Read 12549 times)

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
Re: 2 channel sound set-up help
« Reply #30 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 05:04 PM »
Dont discount floorstanders due to space,  with the proper stands,  Bookshelves will consume MORE space due to the size of the base of the stands. Most floorstanders in your budget will likely be taller version with an extra woofer of the bookshelves versions.

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 05:13 PM »
Dont discount floorstanders due to space,  with the proper stands,  Bookshelves will consume MORE space due to the size of the base of the stands. Most floorstanders in your budget will likely be taller version with an extra woofer of the bookshelves versions.

true, my floorstanding takes out much lesser floor space than my bookshelf because of the stand.

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #32 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 06:05 PM »

It might even turn out to be cheaper because of he uses a FS he may not even need to purchase a sub, lalo na 2.0 naman habol nya.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #33 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 07:09 PM »

it may not be the space he is wary of but the tendencies of floorstanders to sound boomier in smaller rooms. which could be remedied by room acoustic treatment and proper placement. i personally like the look of floorstanders but they don't work well in my current room. plus budget opens up when you consider bookshelf speakers.

e.g. polk rtia7 vs lsi9 or MA bx5 vs RX2. so go for a lower end floorstanders or go for the higher end bookshelf, either way you have choices. what's important is how we enjoy our systems 

Offline resident_evil

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #34 on: Sep 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM »
requesting advise from the masters of audio - what is the best 2 channel set-up (bookshelves) plus amplifier and audio player. For listening music. room is only about  14 sqm. budget 50k.

I suggest you set aside some funds for room treatment. Expensive gear will sound mediocre or even awful without proper room treatment. Trod has lots of room treatment stuff. I use his bass trap and valsky's diffusers and art panel for the added flavor.

My approach was to first choose a speaker and build my system around it. Its up to you if you will build around your amp. Having a reference point will make it is easier since you will already have a direction to take. My room is way smaller than yours but I use Dyns FS. Bass trap, diffusers and carpets help tame the bass. Port plugs also help but I rarely use them. I like bass as long as its tight and does not gobble the rest of the instruments.

I still have my PSB Imagine Bs and plan to build an office set up around it.

To reiterate, Having  a point ofnreference to build around will help reduce confusion. This is a very confusing hobby sometimes and the more confused you get, the more money you spend.

My first set up was in the 50k area also. PSB Image B6, NAD 326, NAD 515. Had to buy stands for the BS. Cables, etc.

Look for a dealer who will not hesitate to let you audition stuff. At some point, they will allow you home auditions if you wish to upgrade.
Ref3A De Capo Be, 300B SET Amp, Nak Bx300, Rega P3-24, Benz Glider, EE Minimax

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #35 on: Sep 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM »
requesting advise from the masters of audio - what is the best 2 channel set-up (bookshelves) plus amplifier and audio player. For listening music. room is only about  14 sqm. budget 50k.

I can do a lot with 50K hehe!!!

You can get a good setup with 30K. ;)

Get AAudio Genesis and a Vintage amp and a decent music player. ;D
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Sep 27, 2012 at 03:26 PM »

The ideal stereo setup is a combination that will let YOU enjoy music for long and extended hours without you feeling more tired or irritated after.

Music coming out from the stereo equipment is supposed to soothe and de-stress, not add to the stress or irritation.

Happy audition!

The only thing that will stress you when you know the PRICE >:D Especially if you like it but out of the budget >:D >:D
Beware........start it right  magumpisa ka sa entry level for you to appreciate more of the High-end level.......Mahirap magsimula sa STATEMENT set-up.
Enjoy ka muna sa entry level that sounds like WOW in the pocket and WAF!
Friendly advise........control your emotion once you visited most of the PDVD set-up or else you will end-up with sleepless nights and find yourself driving on the nearest Audio Store and make "kaskas" of your "Plastic Thing"......Now a days......Who need CASH????? That's why GOD made PLASTIC!!!!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 27, 2012 at 03:55 PM »
The only thing that will stress you when you know the PRICE >:D Especially if you like it but out of the budget >:D >:D
Beware........start it right  magumpisa ka sa entry level for you to appreciate more of the High-end level.......Mahirap magsimula sa STATEMENT set-up.
Enjoy ka muna sa entry level that sounds like WOW in the pocket and WAF!
Friendly advise........control your emotion once you visited most of the PDVD set-up or else you will end-up with sleepless nights and find yourself driving on the nearest Audio Store and make "kaskas" of your "Plastic Thing"......Now a days......Who need CASH????? That's why GOD made PLASTIC!!!!

Yeah! Maraming ganyan sa tabi tabi...   ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2012 at 03:55 PM by Tempter »
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 27, 2012 at 05:44 PM »
Dami dami mangkukulam!  >:D
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline warmaster

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 27, 2012 at 08:00 PM »
kung ako naman if i had 50k budget i'd get the best amplifier and speaker combo in that price range e.g. CA 651A + Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 or Rotel RA06 + B&W 685. use an existing laptop/pc as music source and save a little for a Musiland Monitor 01 US or possibly save up for a dedicated CD player in the future. depending on your self-control, this setup could last you a good number of years, because for a real upgrade from those setups you're gonna have to pony up a substantial amount of moolah.

sakin lang wag mo tipirin ang setup mo kung may budget ka naman dahil dyan kadalasan nagmumula ang sakit na upgradititis
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2012 at 08:01 PM by warmaster »

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #40 on: Sep 27, 2012 at 09:11 PM »
try nyo A-audio Omega + Rotel Amp panalong panalo sa SQ. 8)

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Sep 27, 2012 at 09:41 PM »
kung ako naman if i had 50k budget i'd get the best amplifier and speaker combo in that price range e.g. CA 651A + Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 or Rotel RA06 + B&W 685. use an existing laptop/pc as music source and save a little for a Musiland Monitor 01 US or possibly save up for a dedicated CD player in the future. depending on your self-control, this setup could last you a good number of years, because for a real upgrade from those setups you're gonna have to pony up a substantial amount of moolah.

sakin lang wag mo tipirin ang setup mo kung may budget ka naman dahil dyan kadalasan nagmumula ang sakit na upgradititis

Normally pag ganyan ang katwiran talagang nauuwi sa walang katapusan purchase, kasi ang laging nasa isip kelangan laging "THE BEST". Kaya ang nangyayari ,walang contentment... at nakakalimutan na ang tunay na purpose ng hobby, to listen to music... ;D

Offline warmaster

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM »
Normally pag ganyan ang katwiran talagang nauuwi sa walang katapusan purchase, kasi ang laging nasa isip kelangan laging "THE BEST". Kaya ang nangyayari ,walang contentment... at nakakalimutan na ang tunay na purpose ng hobby, to listen to music... ;D

kaya nga the best na pasok sa budget. kesa yung nagsesettle ka lang, mas lalo kang hindi masisiyahan dun. determine a budget, stick with it and enjoy the gears you get for that budget  ;)

people start with the "pwede na yan" gears then move on to the next pwede na yan and on to the next. e kung sa umpisa pa lang plinano na nang husto, naglaan ng budget at nagresearch/audition di na sana nagdoble doble ang gastos. ako daiti nagbalak ako nung sakura tube amp o vintage surplus na nauwi sa t-amp hanggang sa bumili rin ako ng proper integrated amp. totoo nga pala yung "i wish i knew then what i know now"

Offline resident_evil

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM »
Agree. Get the best sounding gear your money can buy. No regrets. For most of us it is an endless quest for audio nirvana. Even those who have spent millions on their set up. Only a lucky few have lived with their gear for 10 years or more without changing.

Love your gear. The moment you start comparing, that will be the end of your wallet. Unless of course your happiness hinges on having new gear every so often. That is the exciting part kasi. Pag uwi mo gusto mo subukan yung bagong acquisition. Doesnt even matter if its brand new, second hand, or vintage.

After getting your gear. Invest on software na lang. Improve room acoustics. Get a girlfriend who will appreciate your set up and think you are hot.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #44 on: Sep 28, 2012 at 12:07 AM »
Get a girlfriend who will appreciate your set up and think you are hot.
i did that. sadly my wife found out.  >:D
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline resident_evil

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM »
i did that. sadly my wife found out.  >:D

;D >:D ;D

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • What have you done today to make you feel PROUD?
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Sep 28, 2012 at 01:34 AM »
Get the best sounding gear your money can buy.

No regrets.

Only a lucky few have lived with their gear for 10 years or more without changing.

Get a girlfriend who will appreciate your set up and think you are hot.

or a boyfriend for that matter  8)
Gay Stereophile
Kann HugoTT GSXMk2 LCDMX4 Elear EtherFlow MDRZ7
DACMagicPlus CA650A RB1582 LSi9 Aon3

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #47 on: Sep 28, 2012 at 02:24 AM »
or a boyfriend for that matter  8)
mabuti pa nga siguro. di magdududa si kumander.  ;D ;D ;D
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Sep 28, 2012 at 06:50 AM »
mabuti pa nga siguro. di magdududa si kumander.  ;D ;D ;D

+1.  pero mas malaking gulo kapag nabisto ni misis! bwahahaha
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline resident_evil

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Sep 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM »
Ano na kaya nangyari sa set up ni OP? Baka inuna yung girlfriend. O0

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Sep 28, 2012 at 01:09 PM »
kaya nga the best na pasok sa budget. kesa yung nagsesettle ka lang, mas lalo kang hindi masisiyahan dun. determine a budget, stick with it and enjoy the gears you get for that budget  ;)

people start with the "pwede na yan" gears then move on to the next pwede na yan and on to the next. e kung sa umpisa pa lang plinano na nang husto, naglaan ng budget at nagresearch/audition di na sana nagdoble doble ang gastos. ako daiti nagbalak ako nung sakura tube amp o vintage surplus na nauwi sa t-amp hanggang sa bumili rin ako ng proper integrated amp. totoo nga pala yung "i wish i knew then what i know now"

Well, swertehan na nga lang siguro kung napili mo agad ang gears na magugustuhan mo ang output for a long time. Pero madalas kaya nangyayari ang never-ending quest dahil na rin sa mga buyo at mga nakikitang bago sa ibang tao hehe! Then marerealize nila later na wala naman pala talagang difference then goes on to the next. Then same thing happens, and it's a never ending cycle... ;D

Pero empre kung marami kang pera, why not? Ika nga, kung san ka masaya. Kung masaya ka sa mahal na gears at kaya mo naman, good for you. ;)

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Sep 28, 2012 at 03:15 PM »
This kind of Hobby is Quest for a good satisfying sounds based on the listener scale. Kahit magsimula ka ngayon sa High-end level time will come you will seek for better gears.
For me, it's better to start sa entry level to fully understand what high-end means. Mag-upgrade ka lang gradual! Ganun talaga yun sa hobby na ito di pwedeng DI MAG UPGRADE. Para mo na ring sinabi na stop the TECHNOLOGY! O0 Cellphone nga laging naga-upgrade! Agree or disagree wala sa mga hobbiest dito ang di nag-upgrade or mag a-upgrade.  Be real!!!
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2012 at 03:16 PM by odyopayl »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #52 on: Sep 28, 2012 at 05:26 PM »
Ano na kaya nangyari sa set up ni OP? Baka inuna yung girlfriend. O0

mas maganda maraming girlfriend para hindi ka kaagad magsawa. applicable din ito sa audio  ;D

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #53 on: Sep 28, 2012 at 05:53 PM »
This is very true,  it would be nice to have at least two different kind of speakers with opposing qualities. Sometimes kasi even if maganda na yung setup natin, nagsasawa talaga tayo, so we tend to upgrade/change the gears to something else.  Ako after several years sa Solid state, nagsawa ako then tried tubes for couple of years, then SS again, then tubes for 4 years and now its SS again....

mas maganda maraming girlfriend para hindi ka kaagad magsawa. applicable din ito sa audio  ;D

Offline resident_evil

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Sep 29, 2012 at 02:56 AM »
The most desirable things in life are either illegal, expensive, or married to someone else. O0

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Sep 29, 2012 at 08:34 AM »
Here is my take.

When starting up, have a specific budget. Listen to others system, borrow gears and audition as much as you can. The more you listen, the more you will learn. As a guide (only), read reviews so that you have an idea on how a specific gear sounds like (warm, neutral, etc). Be careful though as sometimes, the more advice you receive the more confusing it might get for you. For me, my guide is if the person's set-up is something special sonically, then he knows what he is doing and could give meaningful advice.

Once you already have your set-up, be patient. Try to learn and understand the strength and weakness of what you have and further improve from there. It doesn't mean even a very expensive set-up will always sound good for the first time.

And... if you can, be handy with the soldering iron and start doing tweaks or mods on your gears as you might be suprise on how much better they will sound by just a change of a cap or resistor.

Enjoy your journey.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline noob

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5378
« Reply #56 on: Oct 05, 2012 at 08:09 PM »

sa akin naman isa-isa lang, tapos siya na lang pakantahin mo, pag sawa ka na eh di palitan ng iba! Joke!

Offline resident_evil

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Oct 24, 2012 at 06:29 PM »
kung pwede lang sana parang audio set up. sa isang room tubes para sobrang lambing. another room solid state para edgy and fast. another room hybrid para sakto lang.

Offline joko11

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Oct 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM »
sa dami ng suggestion, yung nagtanong hindi alam ang uunahin.malamang pag minalas malas pa naglaslas na yan..

hindi napapansin kadalasan ang simpleng tanong na "ano ba preference sound character mo?"

pag iyan ang nasagot madali na i-isolate ang mga choices.

well this is my take....  have yourself a fullrange speaker.pa-tweak mo na magandang tune ang kaha tapos busugin mo sa wattage ng amp.

balikan mo tong thread at magshare ka ng findings mo ;)

Primum Nil Nocere

Offline rukawakaide1721

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Oct 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM »

Eto oh para di kana mahirapan...2 channel audio....
Happiness is a choice....