Author Topic: The Holy Bible In Our Christian Life  (Read 43247 times)

Offline sirhc

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
Re: The Holy Bible In Our Christian Life
« Reply #120 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 08:11 AM »
Wow.  Very enlightening words sir barrister. I always hear a homily re offering the left cheek but never explained in that perspective.

I'm also not adept in the bible, I have just back read the whole thread and I appreciated the discussion it has garnered. What hit me the most was the anger discussion and thus I yearned for more as to how it applies.

Thanks for the well explained answer.. :)
Never stop learning.

Offline whirlpool

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: Oct 04, 2013 at 02:36 AM »
Why most of us Christians pray to the saints and to Virgin Mary? Hence, the Bible said or Jesus said "I am the way, truth and the life. No comes to the Father except through Me". Please enlighten me kung tama ba ang pagkaunawa ko na dapat tayo ay direkta na nagdarasal sa Diyos. Pwede rin po ba na malaman ang chapter o sitas na ito. Thanks

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #122 on: Oct 04, 2013 at 03:43 AM »
natanong ko na yata ito pero subukan ko ulit :)
bakit natigil ang pagsusulat ng bible?  di po ba dapat tuloy-tuloy lang? 
may pagitan ba ang old and new testament?
ninjababez online ..

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #123 on: Oct 04, 2013 at 07:11 AM »
Why most of us Christians pray to the saints and to Virgin Mary? Hence, the Bible said or Jesus said "I am the way, truth and the life. No comes to the Father except through Me". Please enlighten me kung tama ba ang pagkaunawa ko na dapat tayo ay direkta na nagdarasal sa Diyos. Pwede rin po ba na malaman ang chapter o sitas na ito. Thanks

The bible is correct. Because it was Jesus who died for our sins so that we can all be saved from eternal damnation. As for those who pray to saints and virgin Mary, i use to pray to them before because i was taught that they were supposedly, intercessors to God. Now, i don't pray to saints or virgin Mary anymore. Even Mary needs salvation through Jesus. There is also the existence of saints. Their life should be looked up to. But it not an exclusive club limited to the appointment of a small group of people. Everyone (living person) can be a saint provided he has faith in God, surrendered his life and lived accordingly. hence when you read some books of the new testament written by Paul, he sometimes starts by addressing to the living saints in different regions. Our prayer should be exclusive to our God, the creator. Why? Check out Exodus 20:4-5
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+20&version=NIV
4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Let's also wait for atty.'s insights. He can better quote the bible.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Oct 04, 2013 at 11:46 AM »
may pagitan ba ang old and new testament?

Yes, around 420 years ang pagitan.

bakit natigil ang pagsusulat ng bible?  di po ba dapat tuloy-tuloy lang? 

Natigil ang pagsusulat kasi tapos na. 

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2013 at 11:46 AM by barrister »

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #125 on: Oct 04, 2013 at 11:57 AM »

In my own understanding, we do not pray to the Saints nor to Virgin Mary.
We do not even worship them but instead pay respect to them...
What we are doing is talking with them and asking or requesting them to pray for us and include us in their prayers to the Lord our God.

That is my belief and understanding... :)
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2013 at 11:57 AM by ♡ Louie_18™ ✌ »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Oct 04, 2013 at 12:06 PM »
Please enlighten me kung tama ba ang pagkaunawa ko na dapat tayo ay direkta na nagdarasal sa Diyos. Pwede rin po ba na malaman ang chapter o sitas na ito. Thanks

Tama yon sir. 

Tinuruan tayo ni Hesus kung paanong magdasal:

6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from the evil one.’
(Mt. 6:6-13)

Ang sabi, manalangin daw sa Ama. 

Why most of us Christians pray to the saints and to Virgin Mary?

That's a Catholic practice. 

They believe the saints provide intercession.  So they explain that they are not actually praying to the saints, they are merely petitioning the saints to pray for them, in the same way that a Catholic simply requests a fellow Catholic to pray for him.

As proof that intercessory prayers made by one for another is valid, they point to 1 Tim 2:1-6, which states:

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.

Therefore, they believe that even if it is true that Christ is the only mediator, there's nothing wrong with intercessory prayers made by one person for another.  And if intercessory prayers by one person in behalf of another are allowed, then intercessory prayers by a saint are also allowed.

Hence, the Bible said or Jesus said "I am the way, truth and the life. No comes to the Father except through Me".

You say "hence" because you think that verse applies to direct prayer?

No, that verse is not about prayer. 

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2013 at 03:43 PM by barrister »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #127 on: Oct 04, 2013 at 10:33 PM »
Yes, around 420 years ang pagitan.

Natigil ang pagsusulat kasi tapos na. 

thanks. 
ninjababez online ..

Offline Daiguru

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 01:38 AM »
The bible is correct. Because it was Jesus who died for our sins so that we can all be saved from eternal damnation. As for those who pray to saints and virgin Mary, i use to pray to them before because i was taught that they were supposedly, intercessors to God. Now, i don't pray to saints or virgin Mary anymore. Even Mary needs salvation through Jesus. There is also the existence of saints. Their life should be looked up to. But it not an exclusive club limited to the appointment of a small group of people. Everyone (living person) can be a saint provided he has faith in God, surrendered his life and lived accordingly. hence when you read some books of the new testament written by Paul, he sometimes starts by addressing to the living saints in different regions. Our prayer should be exclusive to our God, the creator. Why? Check out Exodus 20:4-5
4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Let's also wait for atty.'s insights. He can better quote the bible.
i agree with you sir nelson. nakasulat yan sa sampung utos. pero bakit nasa utos na nga yun at nababasa nila pero bakit kaya di nila kayang sundin kung anu ang nasusulat??

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 08:01 AM »
i agree with you sir nelson. nakasulat yan sa sampung utos. pero bakit nasa utos na nga yun at nababasa nila pero bakit kaya di nila kayang sundin kung anu ang nasusulat??

Iba naman sir ang intercession vs worship as atty Barrister and sir Louie have clarified. Plus, nun grade school kasi ako, short cut ng commandments ang naituro sa akin.  ;D  As for the statues, i use to say that the statues are there to remind me of God. Parang photos ng mga love ones natin. Probably huwag mo lang luhuran or pray to the stutues. Kasi verse 5 says do not bow down to them. I may be wrong again in my interpretation of the catholic faith. So probably, i was in the same boat as sir whirlpool before na ang alam namin, we are praying to saints and virgin Mary.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 04:49 PM »
Iba naman sir ang intercession vs worship as atty Barrister and sir Louie have clarified.

Just to further clarify, pinaliwanag ko lang kung ano ang Catholic belief.  Kaya nga sinasabi ko lagi sa umpisa, "They believe...," para malinaw na ang belief na yon ay kanila, hindi akin. 

Mas maganda yung ganong approach para maiwasan ang debate sa thread na ito.  Ok naman ang criticisms, pero sa ibang thread na lang siguro, para walang away-away dito. 

May paliwanag din sila diyan:

Do Catholics Worship Statues?
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/do-catholics-worship-statues

Very helpful if you want to know about the Catholic view.  Pero huwag mo nang kontrahin dito sir, wala namang katapusan ang debate niyan, pagod lang ang ibibigay sa iyo...  :D

Kaya nga ang sabi ko, mahirap talaga pag doctrinal na ang topic.

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2013 at 05:03 PM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 06:53 PM »

Just to further clarify, pinaliwanag ko lang kung ano ang Catholic belief.  Kaya nga sinasabi ko lagi sa umpisa, "They believe...," para malinaw na ang belief na yon ay kanila, hindi akin. 

Mas maganda yung ganong approach para maiwasan ang debate sa thread na ito.  Ok naman ang criticisms, pero sa ibang thread na lang siguro, para walang away-away dito. 

Very helpful if you want to know about the Catholic view.  Pero huwag mo nang kontrahin dito sir, wala namang katapusan ang debate niyan, pagod lang ang ibibigay sa iyo...  :D

Definitely clear. And you are right. Doctrinal issues tend to bring up arguments and debates.

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #132 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 09:26 PM »
Sir B sana ma-enlighthen din ako about eating blood. Before I stopped eating dinuguaan as there is scripture that is strict about not eating it. Nakapaka holy daw ng blood kaya di siya kinakain ng myembro ng ibang religion. Pero meron ding scripture na wala naman talaga sa kinakain yan so balik ako sa pagkain nun. So should we enjoy the blood and puto combo or not?
Be better than the Theater.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 09:37 PM »
Definitely clear. And you are right. Doctrinal issues tend to bring up arguments and debates.

Eto naman ang magandang topic sir, para hindi doktrina.  Naalala ko kasi dahil sa Exodus link mo sir:

Ang tanong --- Bakit sa Exodus paparusahan ang anak dahil sa kasalanan ng kanyang magulang; samantalang sa Ezekiel, walang epekto sa anak ang kasalanan ng magulang?

"... he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation." (Exodus 34:7)

"The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them." (Ezek 18:20)
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2013 at 09:38 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 10:11 PM »
Sir B sana ma-enlighthen din ako about eating blood. Before I stopped eating dinuguaan as there is scripture that is strict about not eating it. Nakapaka holy daw ng blood kaya di siya kinakain ng myembro ng ibang religion. Pero meron ding scripture na wala naman talaga sa kinakain yan so balik ako sa pagkain nun. So should we enjoy the blood and puto combo or not?

Magandang tanong.  Pero doktrina rin yan sir, baka may mag react.   

Ang sagot, bawal sa Kristiyano na kumain ng dugo.

Yes, may mabigat na meaning ang dugo sa scripture.  Sa bible, bood is life.  Sa material aspect, pag walang dugo ang tao o hayop, wala ring buhay.  Sa spiritual aspect ganon din --- sa Old Testament, ang principle: no blood as atonement for sin, no spiritual life.

Therefore, dahil nagbibigay ng material and spiritual life ang dugo, sacred ito, kaya bawal kainin kasi nababastos ang bagay na sagrado:

11 For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life. 12 Therefore I say to the Israelites, “None of you may eat blood, nor may any foreigner residing among you eat blood.” (Lev. 17:11-12)

Sa New Testament, may requirement pa rin ng dugo para sa spiritual life, pero may malaking difference.  Blood of Jesus Christ na ito ngayon.  Specific na dugo na, pero pareho rin ang principle --- No blood of Jesus, no spiritual life.  That's why His mission was to die on the cross.

11 But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that are now already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made with human hands, that is to say, is not a part of this creation. 12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption. (Heb. 9:11-12)

Bawal pa rin ba sa Kristiyano na kumain ng dugo?  Yes, bawal pa rin.

Di ba sa New Testament, nilinis na ni Kristo ang lahat ng pagkain?

18 “Are you so dull?” he asked. “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? 19 For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)  (Mark 7:18-19)

Ano pala yung mga tinatawag noon na unclean food?  Napakahaba ng listahan ng bawal na pagkain sa Hudyo:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+11&version=NIV

Hindi lang baboy, pati rabbit, pusit, squid, hito, paniki, tahong, alamang, crabs, hipon, etc., etc.  Iyan ang mga "unclean food" na nilinis ni Kristo. 

Hindi kasama ang dugo sa unclean food, kasi hindi naman "unclean" ang dahilan kung bakit bawal kainin ang dugo.  Bawal kainin ang dugo kasi it symbolizes atonement for sins.

Sa katunayan, pagkatapos makabalik sa langit si Kristo, ipinagbawal pa rin ng mga alagad ang pagkain ng dugo.  Ang sabi, "Abstain from blood.":

19 “It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.  (Acts 15:19-20)

28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.  Farewell.  (Acts 15:28-29)

Therefore, for Christians, there are only 3 dietary restrictions.  Abstain from:

1. Food sacrificed to idols;
2. Meat of strangled animals; and
3. Blood.

Kaya hindi totoo na kahit ano puwedeng kainin ng Kristiyano.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2013 at 01:29 AM by barrister »

Offline Daiguru

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 10:56 PM »

correct ka po sir barrister. wala talagang katapusan ang debate kapag religion ang pinag-usapan ;D. sana yung mga ibang religion na bumabatikos sa paniniwala ng ibang religion eh igalang na lang nila kung anu ang paniniwala ng kapwa nila at huwag nang pintasan o pulaan para walang gulo. meron kasi ako mga napapanuod na binabatikos ang paniniwala ng ibang religion na nauuwi sa mainitang pagtatalo.

Cheers! O0
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2013 at 10:58 PM by Daiguru »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 11:05 PM »

Eto naman ang magandang topic sir, para hindi doktrina.  Naalala ko kasi dahil sa Exodus link mo sir:

Ang tanong --- Bakit sa Exodus paparusahan ang anak dahil sa kasalanan ng kanyang magulang; samantalang sa Ezekiel, walang epekto sa anak ang kasalanan ng magulang?

"... he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation." (Exodus 34:7)

"The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them." (Ezek 18:20)

Hindi kaya sa Exodus kasi, God punishes the children for the sin of their parents because the sin mentioned there is considered a sin against God that caused His jealousy. And that kind of sin, was passed over and taught by the parents towards their children. But for those who love him and keep His commandments, God will show love. Ito yun mga anak that turned away or did not practice the sin of their parents.

Pero yun sin mentioned in Ezekiel, are sins against man.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Oct 06, 2013 at 12:34 AM »
Tama yung explanation mo sa Exodus sir.  Sa Ezekiel naman, same principle as Exodus din ang sinasabi.  So, kung ano ang interpretation sa Exodus, ganon din sa Ezekiel, kasi wala namang contradiction sa dalawa.

Una, yung Ezekiel.  Notice that it also includes idolatry:

Suppose there is a righteous man who does what is just and right. He does not eat at the mountain shrines or look to the idols of Israel. ...He follows my decrees and faithfully keeps my laws.  That man is righteous; he will surely live, declares the Sovereign Lord. (Ezek. 18: 5-6; 9)

Suppose he has a violent son, who sheds blood or does any of these other things: ... He oppresses the poor and needy.  He commits robbery. He does not return what he took in pledge.  He looks to the idols. ...Will such a man live? He will not! Because he has done all these detestable things, he is to be put to death; his blood will be on his own head.(Ezek. 18:10; 12; 13)

Mabuti yung ama; pero idolater yung anak.  Yung anak lang ang paparusahan.

Paano kung yung ama ang idolater, pero hindi siya ginaya ng anak? ---

But suppose this son has a son who sees all the sins his father commits, and though he sees them, he does not do such things: ...He will not die for his father’s sin; he will surely live.  (Ezek. 18:14; 17)

Yung ama lang ang paparusahan, kasi yung ama lang ang nagkasala.

The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them. (Ezek. 18:20)

Punta naman tayo sa Exodus:

You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.  (Exodus 20:5-6)

Pag idolater ang parents, ang tendency ay gagaya ang anak, kasi ang tendency ay buong pamilya ay pare-parehong idolaters.  Paparusahan ang anak kasi gumaya siya sa kasalanan ng magulang.   

Kaya nga ang sabi: "...to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me..."  Hindi basta kahit sinong 3rd and 4th generation na kasama pati ang inosente --- kailangan yung 3rd and 4th generation "of those who hate me" lang ang kasama.  E di may sariling kasalanan nga yung anak kaya siya paparusahan.

Paano kung hindi gumaya ang anak sa idolatry ng parents?   Hindi siya paparusahan kasi yung magulang lang ang idolaters, hindi yung anak.

Kaya nga ang sabi:  "...but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.Kahit idolater yung magulang, basta hindi gumaya yung anak, hindi paparusahan ang anak.

E di pareho lang ang sinasabi niyan sa Ezekiel.  Di ba? :) 

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2013 at 11:47 PM by barrister »

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #138 on: Oct 06, 2013 at 12:54 PM »
@barrister

The article below is intriguing. Based on your understanding of the bible what is different from the Catholic God as to God of the Bible.

Why would the Catholic impose their version. Thank you.
----------

Pope Francis: ‘I Believe in God, Not In A Catholic God

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/979047/pope-francis-i-believe-in-god-not-in-a-catholic-god/#oBKXrHWa5OjDxkQY.99

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2013 at 01:05 PM by RU9 »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Oct 06, 2013 at 11:32 PM »
... Based on your understanding of the bible what is different from the Catholic God as to God of the Bible.

The are many differences.  Ask a more specific question on The Religion Thread and I'll try to answer it there:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,141525.960.html

@barrister

The article below is intriguing. Based on your understanding of the bible what is different from the Catholic God as to God of the Bible.

Why would the Catholic impose their version. Thank you.
----------

Pope Francis: ‘I Believe in God, Not In A Catholic God

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/979047/pope-francis-i-believe-in-god-not-in-a-catholic-god/#oBKXrHWa5OjDxkQY.99

That's not how I understood the article.

When the Pope said, "there is no Catholic God," it does not mean that he admits that the God of the bible is different from the God of the Catholics.

All the Pope is saying is that he advocates moving away from "small-minded rules;" to be more open to the rest of the world by being less "Vatican-centric."  Thus, the Pope said there is no such thing as a Catholic-only God; there is only a God for all. 

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2013 at 10:59 AM by barrister »

Offline sirhc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #140 on: Oct 07, 2013 at 08:48 AM »

That's not how I understood the article.

When the Pope said, "there is no Catholic God," it does not mean that he admits that the God of the bible is different from the God of the Catholics.

All the pope is saying is that he advocates moving away from "small-minded rules;" to be more open to the rest of the world by being less "Vatican-centric."  Thus, the Pope said there is no such thing as a Catholic-only God; there is only a God for all.

This is also how I understood the Pope's statement, as is true with his current thrust, this is an effort to relate with the others outside of the Vatican's comfort zone. Saying that there is no "Catholic God" equates to, there are no Catholic God, because there is only one God we should be turning to, for all of us, no matter what walk of life you came from. What he wanted to convey is to get rid of the Alienation between others and the Catholics like what others have been preaching, leading to ostracism between sects.
Never stop learning.

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #141 on: Oct 07, 2013 at 11:34 AM »

Therefore, for Christians, there are only 3 dietary restrictions.  Abstain from:

3. Blood.

So Halal foods are automatically prohibited?
Be better than the Theater.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Oct 07, 2013 at 01:04 PM »
So Halal foods are automatically prohibited?

Not necessarily. 

If a pastor says Christians are prohibited from eating Halal-certified food, you don't immediately accept it as correct doctrine, you ask why it should be prohibited.

For Christians, the only prohibition relevant to Halal is the prohibition against food sacrificed to or polluted by idols.

Halal certification is intended to make it easier for Muslims to avoid Haraam (Halal means permissible; Haraam means prohibited) when they buy packaged food.

http://picsbox.biz/key/halal%20logo%20philippines

If bottled water is certified Halal, there's nothing wrong if a Christian drinks it, since there's no way that bottled water, even if Halal-certified, can be deemed to be "polluted by idols."

But for meat products, it's a different matter.  In Islam, the slaughter of an animal for food must be done while the animal's heart is beating so that its blood can be drained properly.  The head of the animal must be aligned with the Qiblah (in the direction of the Kaaba in Mecca).  It must be done in the presence of a Muslim, with a "Shahada" or "Bismillah" declared at the point of slaughter.  The usual Shahada is: "There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet;" the usual Bismillah is: "In the name of Allah, who is the greatest."

For Christians, it's the ritual of Qiblah alignment plus Shahada/Bismillah declaration that's objectionable, since the meat can now be considered, from the Christian point of view, as food polluted by idols.   
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2013 at 02:18 PM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #143 on: Oct 07, 2013 at 04:43 PM »
19 “It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.  (Acts 15:19-20)

28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.  Farewell.  (Acts 15:28-29)

3. Blood.

does this mean "You will do well if you avoid these things"... na if you dont obey this you are committing sin? or simply... "You will do well"...

in my perspective, eating blood (or dinuguan) has no bearing when it comes to sinning... acts 15:27-28 doesnt state na we are sinning kapag kumain tayo ng dugo... it simply state na kapag iwasan natin ang mga pagkaing ito... "we will do well"... paano nga ba itranslate sa tagalog ito... hmmm magiging maayos ang kalusugan or buhay or maiiwasan natin ang confusion sa kapatiran nating jews?

note that churches founded by Paul are almost purely Gentiles christian and those of palestine are almost purely Jews christian... Jews chrisitan culture is different of those of Gentiles christian... almost all christian in Jerusalem and Palestine observed mosaic law up until to the writning of Acts 15...

1. food sacrificed to idols:

since gentiles are new to the gospel... from what i know, this is the time when the gospel been introduced to the gentiles... maraming jews magugulat kung makikita nila ang mga kristiyanong gentiles during that time kumakain ng pagkain na inalay sa idols or pagkaing may dugo... they will be offended sa faith na tinuturo ni Jesus (revolutionary teaching against sa curent teaching that time)... even me... kapag napunta kami sa fiesta or kapag may handaang hindi namin sakop ng faith namin... to avoid confusion or to avoid maiwasan ang maka offend... gustuhin man namin na kumain ng pagkain since bawal sa kanila iyon marapat na hindi na rin namin kakainin.. pero in our private life... kakainin namin iyon as long as we prayred for that food.

2. strangled and blood...

same concept... kapag napunta kami sa gatherings na different ang faith sa amin... we observe anuman ang approach nila sa food... if they say na bawal kainin ang food na ganito we will obey that (but in private kakain kami ng dugo)... to avoid na maoffend ang host ng gatherings.... if fellow christian observed a certain culture that doesnt involved sinning... para hindi ako maging stumbling block ng kanilang faith... i will also avoid doing that...

the bible doesnt say that eating blood is sinful... but if i live in a country or community or in a culture na kung saan ang pagkain ng dugo ay very offensive... i rahter eat not blood, because it would be sinful to be a stumbling block to those who believe it is wrong.   It is not sinful for a Christian to eat blood, but it might be advisable in certain circumstances to refrain from eating blood....

thus Paul says.... "You will do well to avoid these things".
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Oct 07, 2013 at 05:05 PM »
does this mean "You will do well if you avoid these things"... na if you dont obey this you are committing sin? or simply... "You will do well"...

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal.  All the Christian has to do is to know the dietary restrictions, then use his own conscience in figuring out how they are correctly followed. 

Whether failure to abide by the restrictions is a sin or not will depend on the individual's own faith and belief:

14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval. ...

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin. (Rom. 14:14-18; 22-23)

========================================

Sir dpogs, for the benefit of the other readers, what do you understand by the term "meat of strangled animals"? 

1)  Does it literally mean "strangled" or does it mean somethng else? 
2)  Why is a Christian prohibited from eating the meat of strangled animals?

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2013 at 05:13 PM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #145 on: Oct 07, 2013 at 05:14 PM »
Yup. That is right.

And Acts 15:28-29 written specifically for Gentiles Christians as well as to us Christian who are strong in faith Also as a reminder not to be a stumbling block for other Christians... in the name of love and purity... harmony and faith... we are instructed not to eat blood or food for idols...
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Oct 12, 2013 at 01:42 PM »
We all know that forgiveness is essential for us for it is written that God forgives those who forgives others. We start from our conscious effort to forgive. But how do we know that we have already forgiven someone? Is it forgetting the situation a sign? How about the hurt that you may still experience whenever you remember the event?
Care to share your insights and experiences?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Oct 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM »
We all know that forgiveness is essential for us for it is written that God forgives those who forgives others. We start from our conscious effort to forgive. But how do we know that we have already forgiven someone?

If you do not desire revenge and you do not feel hatred, you have already forgiven.

Is it forgetting the situation a sign?

It depends on what you mean by "forgetting."

It does not mean erasing from memory.  Hindi para bang yung nakalimutan mo kung saan mo nailagay yung susi ng kotse, hindi mo na talaga maalala kahit pilitin mo. 

Forgetting should mean to cease keeping an account of.  May kasalanan sa iyo si Jose.  Kinalimutan mo na yon, meaning hindi ka na gaganti, hindi ka na maninita o manunumbat, at hindi ka na galit.

Hindi ibig sabihin nawala sa memory mo, na hindi mo maalala kahit pilitin mo, kasi talagang deleted na sa memory mo.  May Alzheimer's ka siguro kung ganon.   ^-^

In the Old Testament, the rule is eye for an eye (Exodus 21:24).  Justice meant that a transgression must be paid with a close equivalent.  A penalty that is greater or less than the transgression is not justice.

That is why Jesus' analogy was a monetary debt.  Kasi madaling makita ang equivalent.  Umutang ng P1000, magbayad ng P1000. 

Using the monetary debt analogy, what is forgiveness?  It means the cancellation of the debt.   Kinalimutan mo na kasi hindi ka na naniningil, hindi ka nanunumbat, at hindi ka galit. 

Kaya ang sabi sa Lord's prayer:

12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. (Mt. 6:12)

Which Jesus explained:

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. (Mt. 12:14-16)

Let's go to a parable from Jesus, and notice that forgiveness is again presented as a monetary debt analogy:

23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.

28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins.  He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.

29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’

30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.

32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”  (Mt. 18:23-35)

Notice that this is another revolutionary new teaching from Jesus, which is a far departure from the Old Testament justice of "eye for an eye." 

When we are wronged, it is human nature to desire an equivalent payment from the other because that is justice.  If we don't get the equalizing payment, we feel anger and resentment, and believe that the only way to set things right is by way of revenge. 

When we forgive, we cancel our brother's debt.  We don't demand payment, and we don't constantly remind him about his unpaid debt anymore, because there is no more debt, since it has already been canceled.

Where's the justice there?  Don't worry about it.  Justice is what we will receive from the Father when He also forgives us our trespasses. 

How about the hurt that you may still experience whenever you remember the event?

If you truly forgive, the hurt will gradually disappear.  Just give it time.

If the hurt never goes away, it's because the resentment is still there, since there was no true forgiveness "from the heart."  Maaaring sinabi lang yung forgiveness para may outward compliance sa biblical teachings, pero walang tunay na forgiveness from within. 

Care to share your insights and experiences?

Ikaw rin ang makikinabang pag nagpatawad ka, sa totoo lang.

If you do not forgive, you harbor resentment and anger.  These emotions can be terribly debilitating, leading to bad health, both physical and emotional.  Pag sumobra ang galit, darating ang araw na papatay ka na ng tao.  That's why Jesus taught:

21 “You have heard that it was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.’  22 But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment;... (Mt. 5:21-22)

Again, this is a new teaching from Jesus.  It is not the same as the Old Testament commandment, since Jesus said, "But I say," clarifying that what He was about to say would be something entirely different.

Pinakita Niya na may mabigat na connection pala ang galit at pagpatay --- na ang galit ay dapat iwasan kasi pupunta yan sa pagpatay. 

But if you forgive, you get peace of mind, better health and better sleep.  Ikaw rin ang magiginhawahan. Saan ka pa?    :D 

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2013 at 03:30 PM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Oct 15, 2013 at 02:58 PM »
I forgot to thank you atty Barrister for your objective thoughts re forgiveness. I hope a lot of people can read this thread.

Incidentally, may I request the believers reading this thread to please pray for our Filipino brothers in the Visayas area who were struck by a powerful earthquake.
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2013 at 02:59 PM by Nelson de Leon »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Oct 15, 2013 at 03:56 PM »
No need to thank me sir, basta sharing lang tayo.

About forgiveness, medical science has confirmed its health benefits.  For example:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/power_of_forgiveness
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/forgive-forget

========================================

That's very sad news about the earthquake.  Let's pray for the victims. 

Ganda pa naman ng Bohol, I was there in 2012, great for the gurang crowd.  The younger party crowd of Boracay might not like it though. 

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2013 at 04:00 PM by barrister »