Author Topic: The Holy Bible In Our Christian Life  (Read 43259 times)

Offline rexFi

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Vroom
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: The Holy Bible In Our Christian Life
« Reply #210 on: Aug 27, 2014 at 01:44 PM »
Dedicated sa mga may Birthday Celebrants this August:

Proverbs 9:11
For through wisdom your days will be many, and years will be added to your life. (NIV)

Ecclesiastes 11:8
However many years a man may live, let him enjoy them all. (NIV)

Isaiah 46:4
Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. (NIV)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #211 on: Dec 03, 2014 at 10:41 AM »
Guys, prayer request naman ako. May upcoming typhoon. Please pray for protection sa lahat ng filipinos. Masyado na tayong bugbog sa bagyo. Sana ito, malusutan natin with minimum casualties. I sincerely believe in the power of prayer as a group of believers.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: Dec 12, 2014 at 11:49 PM »
Thank you for your prayers. God is good!

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Feb 01, 2015 at 10:44 PM »
Share ko lang some inspiring message from Bella Alex Nosagie:

If I ask you if you love God what will your answer be? A resounding yes? Probably that's what you believe. How about if I ask you if you love God more than your spouse? Do you love Him more than your child? Do you love Him more than your career? Do you love Him more than your possessions? What about your next meal? Do you love God more than your next plate of food? Is the answer still yes? If one or all of these is taken from you, will you still love God? When you have no loving arms to hold unto and no romantic getaways to go to, will you still love God? If you lose a precious child unexpectedly will you spend so much time in grief and blaming God or will you cling to Him closer than ever? Many of us think we love God but we don't. God gave us all we have. God gave us life, yet we are focused on living life to the fullest without praising and loving the giver of life...the giver of all we have. There are Christians in other parts of the world who are dying for their faith in Jesus. Have you ever asked yourself if you are faced with such persecution if you will stand up for Jesus? Do you love God more than your life? Are you ready to die for your belief in Him? Christianity is a very serious and heartfelt matter. Too many Christians today are taking their faith lightly instead of getting deep into the Word of God and building a true and intimate relationship with God. It is a journey you may not be ready to commit to right now but ask Him for the strength to commit to Him no matter what. God empowers you to love Him and commit to Him. This is why He is looking for you to surrender your life to Him. Surrender your will to His will.

And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. (‭Mark‬ ‭12‬:‭30‬ NKJV)

Meditate on this verse and ask God for the power to love Him above all else. He is looking for this in His children. If you are indeed a Child of God this is how you should love God and be committed to Him. He will then empower you to:

And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” (‭Mark‬ ‭12‬:‭31‬ NKJV)

You cannot love your neighbor as yourself without the power of God. And you cannot access the power of God without getting close to God. Building an intimate relationship with God is the key to living a life that is pleasing to Him.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2015 at 10:45 PM by Nelson de Leon »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #214 on: Feb 02, 2015 at 10:09 AM »
On the same topic, I'm going to continue, to complete the message.

Those verses are not for Christians, they are for the Israelites concerning the Old Testament.  That's because Jesus' answer was in response to a question regarding the commandments of the Old Testament.

28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”

29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” (Mk. 12: 28-30)

Thus, Jesus was talking about the commandments of Moses, in response to a Jewish teacher asking about Mosaic law.

But in John, Jesus teaches:

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  (Jn. 13:34)

This statement concerns love that is of a higher degree than merely loving your neighbor as yourself --- it teaches us to love one another as Christ loved us.

It is not the same thing as loving your neighbor as yourself.  That is why Christ said it was "a new command," meaning it is new and different, not a mere repetition of Leviticus 19:18.    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+19%3A18&version=NKJV

That is why Christ also said:

12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  (Jn.15:12-13)

Notice that He said "my command," meaning that it is something new that came from Christ, not from Moses.

You do not lay down your life for a friend if you only love him as yourself.  You can only do that if you love him as Christ loves him.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2015 at 11:53 PM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Feb 02, 2015 at 12:59 PM »
Wow. Thank you very much for those wonderful insights sir!!! Kinda question nga din yan in my mind yun verses na yun re love for others. You have explained it very simply and clearly. And best of all, walang conflict between the other verses of the Bible.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Feb 23, 2015 at 09:55 PM »

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #217 on: Mar 05, 2015 at 01:30 PM »
Excerp from what @Nelson de Leon posted above

From Bella Alex Nosagie:

If I ask you if you love God what will your answer be? A resounding yes? Probably that's what you believe. How about if I ask you if you love God more than your spouse? Do you love Him more than your child? Do you love Him more than your career? Do you love Him more than your possessions? What about your next meal? Do you love God more than your next plate of food? Is the answer still yes? If one or all of these is taken from you, will you still love God? When you have no loving arms to hold unto and no romantic getaways to go to, will you still love God? If you lose a precious child unexpectedly will you spend so much time in grief and blaming God or will you cling to Him closer than ever?

If you can answer this with a yes,  you already matured in your spiritual walk with God.

Philippians 3:8 (NIV)
8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ

1 John 2:15-16 (NIV)
15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father[a] is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Mar 07, 2015 at 11:07 PM »
Guys, allow me to share something i've learned kaninang umaga. As believers of Christ, instead of asking "Bakit nangyari sa akin ito?", we can also ask "Lord, what lesson do you want me to learn from what is happening?".

Offline shrek7

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • God First! Family Second! Audio Third!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #219 on: Mar 08, 2015 at 01:31 AM »
Guys, allow me to share something i've learned kaninang umaga. As believers of Christ, instead of asking "Bakit nangyari sa akin ito?", we can also ask "Lord, what lesson do you want me to learn from what is happening?".
nice!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 03:44 PM »
@ Atty. Bro. Barrister:

Magandang balitaktakan ito. Based on the book of Genesis, i have to agree with your example na God is not omnipresent and omniscience. However, naalala ko yun famous answer mo re forgiveness. God is forgiving but it is not absolute. God will only choose who to forgive if He deems it so. And there are examples in the Bible that God forgives, and God does not. Going back to omnipresent and omniscience, can we say na it is also not absolute, meaning God chooses not to be omnipresent or omniscience in certain cases, thereby giving way to man's free will?

On the issue of omnipresence, medyo nagulat ako at agree ka na God is not omnipresent, since as far as I know, the majority of Christian denominations believe that God is omnipresent.

Pahihirapan kita nang konti, sir  ;) :

Kung hindi omnipresent ang Diyos, how would you reconcile that with these verses ---

7Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. (Ps. 139: 7 & 8 )

On the issue of whether God can be omnipresent and omniscient if He wants to, but merely chooses not to exercise those powers, the bible gives no answer. 

God revealed Himself through His word.  The things He does not reveal, we should not speculate.  I believe God is not omnipresent or omniscient, then I stop there.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 at 03:46 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 04:35 PM »
Ang question na lang is, how can we become Jesus' flock of sheep.

You become a part of the flock by your own choice. Follow Christ and you become part of the flock.

==========================================

26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. (Jn. 10: 26 & 27)

The unbelieving Jews during Jesus' time did not believe He was the Messiah, so they did not listen to Him and did not follow Him. But there are those who did believe and did follow Him, and they were called His sheep.

Therefore, if you are His sheep, you hear His word and follow it. If you are not His sheep, you ignore His word.

What do you have to do? Follow His commandments. Very simple, right?

===================================

Keep that in mind and other related parts of Christ's teachings will easily click into place:

1. Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (Jn. 14: 6) ---

He is the way, meaning follow His path. A way is a path or a route. What route should you follow? The route given by Christ. Follow His commandments and you follow his route.

He is the truth, meaning his route is the correct route, not the wrong way.

He is the life, meaning you follow His route and you gain eternal life.

2. 11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. (Jn. 10: 11-15) ---

Jesus is the good shepherd, meaning He cares for His sheep, not the like the owner's hired shepherd who runs away when the wolf comes. The good shepherd does not run away when the wolf comes; He protects His sheep even if it will mean His death.

That's a reference to Jesus' death so that the sheep will live. Meaning, He gave His life so that we can have eternal life.

3. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. (Jn. 10: 26 & 27)---

Sino yung sheep Niya?

Very simple. The ones who hear His voice and follow Him.

How do you hear His voice? Read the bible and understand Christ's commandments.

How do you follow Him? Follow His commandments.

4. 7 Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. ...9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. (Jn. 10: 7; 9) ---

He is the gate (or "door" in the KJV), meaning you go through Him to enter the sheep's pen.

How do you go through Him? Same principle. Follow His commandments.

If you follow His commandments, you are like the sheep who hear the voice of the good shepherd and follow him. The sheep of the good shepherd follows only His voice, not the voice of the hired shepherd, or the thief, or the robber.

If you go though the gate (Christ), you become part of His flock of sheep. If you are part of the flock, the good shepherd protects you from the wolf and death. if you are protected from death, you get eternal life.

==================================

Makes sense?  ;) 

Now, punta tayo sa kanta ni Basil Valdez.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 at 05:43 PM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 05:28 PM »

On the issue of omnipresence, medyo nagulat ako at agree ka na God is not omnipresent, since as far as I know, the majority of Christian denominations believe that God is omnipresent.

Pahihirapan kita nang konti, sir  ;) :

Kung hindi omnipresent ang Diyos, how would you reconcile that with these verses ---

7Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. (Ps. 139: 7 & 8 )

On the issue of whether God can be omnipresent and omniscient if He wants to, but merely chooses not to exercise those powers, the bible gives no answer. 

God revealed Himself through His word.  The things He does not reveal, we should not speculate.  I believe God is not omnipresent or omniscient, then I stop there.

Agree ako re omnipresent when applied to the same principle as God being a forgiving God whenever He deemed necessary. ;D

It reconciles naman for me. God gave Adam and Eve free will. In order for them to pass the test, they have to decide on their own whether to eat the apple or not. It was not also specific sa Bible na God is not omnipresent. If I were to read the Psalms verses, it does clearly state that God is everywhere. However, by not exercising omnipresent, does not necessarily mean God is not omnipresent.
Parang ganito, God is forgiving. Kung meron man hindi pinatawad ang Diyos doesn't make God unforgiving.

Whew! Nosebleed na ako sa iyo.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 at 05:41 PM by Nelson de Leon »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 05:31 PM »
Teka, may Basil pa tayo ...  8)

Maganda yung kanta ni Basil, entitled "Lift Up Your Hands" (1985).  Here's a portion of the lyrics:

And He said, "Cast your burdens upon Me
Those who are heavily laden,
Come to Me, all of you who are tired
Of carrying heavy loads,
For the yoke I will give you is easy
And My burden is light,
Come to Me and I will give you rest."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG3fJ-y1aD8

The lyrics were paraphrased form the bible:

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Mt. 11: 29-30)

Jesus said, those who are weary and burdened, come to Me, and I will give you rest.

How do you come to Jesus? You follow His commandments. Sa katunayan, Jesus instructs us to take His yoke upon us and learn from Him.

What is a yoke?  It's a wooden crosspiece mounted over the neck and shoulders for carrying heavy objects like water pails.

If you are tired, weary and burdened, Jesus doesn't just take your burden away from you; He also gives you a new burden.

Bakit ganon? Bakit hindi basta alisin na lang yung burden?  Kasi ang bagong burden na papasanin ay yung commandments ni Kristo.  Therefore, what does His yoke symbolize?  His commands.

Akala ko ba, "I will give you rest"? Bakit bibgyan ng bagong burden na nakalagay pa sa pamatok (yoke)?  Paano ka namang nagkaroon ng "rest," e may bubuhatin ka rin pala?

Magkakaroon ka talaga ng rest, kasi may bagong pasanin nga, pero malambot daw ang pamatok at magaan ang pasan.  End result, with the yoke you are rested, without the yoke, you are tired.
The bible says, my yoke is easy and my burden is light.  Sabi naman ni Basil, "For the yoke I will give you is easy and My burden is light; come to Me and I will give you rest.

Paanong naging malambot na pamatok at magaan na pasan ang mga utos ni Kristo? Very simple. Eto ang examples:

1.  Utos ni Hesus, hindi lang bawal pumatay, bawal ding magalit sa kapatid.

Pag hindi ka sumunod, at matindi ang galit mo sa kapwa, ikaw rin ang mahihirapan. Mahihirapan ka pa ngang makatulog e.  Bad for you emotionally and physically, tataas blood pressure, bibilis ang heart rate, etc., kasi lagi kang galit.

Pero pag sumunod ka, pinatawad mo yung nagkasala sa yo, wala nang galit sa loob mo, mas maginhawa pakiramdam mo. Mas masarap pa ngang matulog sa gabi ...  ;)

Tama ang sabi. Mas madali pang sumunod sa utos, kasi ikaw rin ang magiginhawahan at makakasumpong ng pahinga.

2.  Another example, utos din, hindi lang bawal ang adultery, bawal din tumingin nang may pagnanasa.

Mahirap bang sundin yon? Madali nga, e.

Isipin mo kung marami kang kabit. Ang gastos non. Yung isang betkabs binigyan mo ng iPad Air 2, nagalit yung isa, bakit daw yung kanya, Mini lang? Yung isa, binahay mo sa condo, nagreklamo yung isa, apartment lang daw, bulok pa...  :D

Pag ganon, malaking problema, magulo sa isip, nabuking ni Misis, hiniwalayan, nagalit yung mga anak, ayaw na siyang kausapin kasi niloloko mo yung nanay nila. Ang gastos pa, matututo kang magnakaw. Makasuhan ka pa ng estafa.

Hirap, di ba? E kung sumunod ka lang sa utos. Wag kang mambabae, e di ang ginhawa ng buhay mo.  Pinagtiyagaan mo nga yung asawa mong bad breath, pero madali ka namang nakatulog sa gabi...  :D  (Hindi ikaw yon sir ha, joke lang para hindi boring  ;) )

So you see, come to Jesus and He will give you rest. But He will still give you a yoke and a burden.

But take comfort in the fact that the yoke He will give you is easy, and His burden is light.

Maganda yung kanta ni Basil, di ba?  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 at 09:02 PM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 05:44 PM »

You become a part of the flock by your own choice. Follow Christ and you become part of the flock.

==========================================

26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. (Jn. 10: 26 & 27)

The unbelieving Jews during Jesus' time did not believe He was the Messiah, so they did not listen to Him and did not follow Him. But there are those who did believe and did follow Him, and they were called His sheep.

Therefore, if you are His sheep, you hear His word and follow it. If you are not His sheep, you ignore His word.

What do you have to do? Follow His commandments. Very simple, right?

===================================

Keep that in mind and other related parts of Christ's teachings will easily click into place:

1. Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (Jn. 14: 6) ---

He is the way, meaning follow His path. A way is a path or a route. What route should you follow? The route given by Christ. Follow His commandments and you follow his route.

He is the truth, meaning his route is the correct route, not the wrong way.

He is the life, meaning you follow His route and you gain eternal life.

2. 11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. (Jn. 10: 11-15) ---

Jesus is the good shepherd, meaning He cares for His sheep, not the like the owner's hired shepherd who runs away when the wolf comes. The good shepherd does not run away when the wolf comes; he protects His sheep even if it will mean His death.

That's a reference to Jesus' death so that the sheep will live. Meaning, He gave His life so that we can have eternal life.

3. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. (Jn. 10: 26 & 27)---

Sino yung sheep Niya?

Very simple. The ones who hear His voice and follow Him.

How do you hear His voice? Read the bible and understand Christ's commandments.

How do you follow Him? Follow His commandments.

4. 7 Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. ...9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. (Jn. 10: 7; 9) ---

He is the gate (or "door" in the KJV), meaning you go through Him to enter the sheep's pen.

How do you go through Him? Same principle. Follow His commandments.

If you follow His commandments, you are like the sheep who hear the voice of the good shepherd and follow him. The sheep of the good shepherd follows only His voice, not the voice of the hired shepherd, or the thief, or the robber.

If you go though the gate (Christ), you become part of His flock of sheep. If you are part of the flock, the good shepherd protects you from the wolf and death. if you are protected from death, you get eternal life.

==================================

Makes sense?  ;) 

Now, punta tayo sa kanta ni Basil Valdez.

Yes it does makes sense. Salvation is eternal life and it can be achieved even if you're still alive. Pero alam ko na ang sunod mong question. How can we follow the commandments. Everyone falls short. :)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 05:49 PM »
Yes it does makes sense. Salvation is eternal life and it can be achieved even if you're still alive. Pero alam ko na ang sunod mong question. How can we follow the commandments. Everyone falls short. :)

No, ang next question ko, what are the commandments for Christians?  Paano mo susundin ang utos kung hindi mo alam kung ano ang mga utos na yon?

For example, may sinabi ba sa bibliya na bawal mag shabu?  ;)   Kung meron, saan nakalagay?  Bawal bang magsugal?  Saan nakasulat?

Pag alam mo na yung commandments, of course you can follow it.  Bakit ka naman uutusan ng imposible?  Nonsense ba ang Diyos?

If I were to read the Psalms verses, it does clearly state that God is everywhere.

No, it does not.  ;)

I cited it because it's the verse commonly cited by those who believe God is omnipresent.  But I disagree with their interpretation.

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 at 06:05 PM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #226 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 06:35 PM »

Jesus said "MY sheep" hears my voice and follows me...
If you're not Jesus' sheep you can't listen to His voice nor can follow Him...

"MY sheep" - sheep na sila mismo ni Kristo that is why they listen and follow His commandment... naging sheep ba sila kasi sumusunod sila sa commandment or "sheep na sila" kaya sila sumusunod sa commandment...

@Barrister: I think and i believe as of this moment you're still trying to be one of Jesuss' sheep, right - by following His commandment? are you following His commandment because you want to be one of His sheep or you follow His commandment because you are His sheep?

Dito pumapasok ang sinasabi sa Matthew... sa araw araw na paggawa natin ng good works, sa bawat pagsunod natin sa kanyang mga commandment... sa bawat pagsusumikap natin na gawin lahat ng kanyang kalooban pero bakit parang kulang pa rin... bakit parang mabigat pa rin ang ating pakiramdam...

Jesus said "Come unto me" its a statement that what Jesus said is already completed doon sa cross... kung mapapansin natin ang "yoke" during Jesus time or during Bible times... designed ang yoke before for two cattle (ngayon kasi ang yoke para lang sa isang kalabaw)... noon ang usong yoke noon ay pang-dalawahang cattle ... something similiar sa baba

when you take Jesus yoke it is actually a partnership between you and God... because we really cant take our own yoke in short... we cant do any good by ourselves.... it is only by the power of God that we can carry the yoke...

There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 07:38 PM »
Magkaiba ang interpretation natin sir.

The source of the difference is that I believe good works are necessary; but you believe good works are not necessary, because all we need is faith.

I will not attempt to convince you, I'll just present my side, and I will leave our members to decide on their own.

To our other readers, tanggap na namin ni sir dpogs na magkaiba talaga kami ng views sa issue na ito.  We have both accepted that we will not be able to convince each other.  Academic discussion na lang ito...  ;)

@Barrister: I think and i believe as of this moment you're still trying to be one of Jesuss' sheep, right - by following His commandment? are you following His commandment because you want to be one of His sheep or you follow His commandment because you are His sheep?

I believe we should continue following His commandments to remain in the flock. That's the big difference between our beliefs.

Your view is that once we are saved, we are always saved. No need to strive to keep His commandments because we automatically keep His commandments once we are saved. That's the OSAS (Once Saved, always Saved) doctrine.

But in the bible, it is possible to lose salvation if we do not keep His commandments:

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Sabi nila, if you fall away, you were never really saved in the first place.

But the people in those verses already had salvation.  They were enlightened, tasted of the heavenly gift, made partakers of the Holy Ghost, tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come.  But they can still fall away, and if they do, it will be impossible to renew them again unto repentance.

Therefore, it is possible for one who had already been saved to lose it. That is why Jesus said:

23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. (Lk. 9:23)

Take up your cross "daily," or you might lose your salvation.  You don't just have faith, then good works follow automatically without effort.  Taking up the cross is a burden that is a daily, continuing struggle.

Jesus said "Come unto me" its a statement that what Jesus said is already completed doon sa cross... kung mapapansin natin ang "yoke" during Jesus time or during Bible times... designed ang yoke before for two cattle (ngayon kasi ang yoke para lang sa isang kalabaw)... noon ang usong yoke noon ay pang-dalawahang cattle ... something similiar sa baba

when you take Jesus yoke it is actually a partnership between you and God... because we really cant take our own yoke in short... we cant do any good by ourselves.... it is only by the power of God that we can carry the yoke...

Yung yoke for farming ay puwedeng single, or double, or more. Ang double ay may application sa bible; pero ang single ay may application din, depende sa context.

1.  Example of a double yoke:

14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? (2 Cor. 6:14)

When we say 2 animals are equally yoked, it means both animals on a double yoke are very similar in size, temperament and strength, so that a stronger puller does not drag the weaker and force it to walk faster than normal, and the weaker does not place an unnecessary load on the stronger who has to pull at the slower animal who can't keep up.

If you are a Christian, do not be yoked with unbelievers. It means you should not be in fellowship or partnership with unbelievers because they have nothing in common with you.

Paano kung best friend mo, business partner pa kayo, tapos gusto niyang mag casino, maglasing, at mag check-in ng pokpok pagkatapos. Hindi kayo magkakasundo. Or mahahawa ka sa kanyang mga kalokohan, bandang huli, ganon ka na rin.

Maliwanag na double yoke yan, like 2 oxen bound on a double yoke.

2.  Example of a single yoke:

23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. (Lk. 9:23)

That's one person taking up his burden daily.

Ang Diyos yung amo, kaya Siya ang magbibigay ng yoke, ikaw ang kakarga.

Sa interpretation mo, double yoke, na ang Diyos ay pareho mo lang na kalabaw din, na kasabay mong humihila nang side by side.

Our good works are useless without grace.

Bakit?  Kasi naka-tatak na ang kasalanan natin.  Magsisi ka man, gumawa ka man ag kabutihan, naka-tatak na rin yung kasalanan mo, kaya hindi mo mabubura.

With the sacrifice of Jesus, puwede ka nang maligtas.  Puwede ka nang magsisi, burado ang kasalanan mo, be a new person, follow Christ, and you can still have eternal life.  Tapos na ang mission ni Jesus; salvation is now possible.  But it is now up to us to follow Him so that we can attain it.

Without His sacrifice on the cross, kahit ano gawin mo, impiyerno ka pa rin.  With His sarifice, follow Him and you can be saved.

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. (Eph. 2: 8-9)

Good works are always required.  If you only have good works without Christ's death, it is useless.  Impiyerno ka pa rin, kasi nga, existing pa rin ang kasalanan mo.   But if you have good works plus God's grace through Christ's death, you can be saved. 

That's how important Christ's sacrifice was.  If you can be saved through your own works, then you can boast that you were saved without anyone else's help, including God's.  The bible shows us that your own works without the gift of God is not enough to attain salvation.

That's how the verses should be understood.  It does not mean that once saved, you are always saved no matter what you do, and good works are no longer necessary.

Sa katunayan:

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? ... 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. (James 2: 20; 26)
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2015 at 12:01 AM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 10:22 PM »
Actually I have to agree din with bro dpogs. The yoke during the time of the Israelites is dalawahan. Instead carrying the load ourselves, God helps us ease the burden.

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Mt. 11: 29-30)

If God is with us, then the yoke would be easy and the burden would be lighter.

And i also agree with Atty. Bro Barrister. Very logical ang utos ng Diyos. Remember your advice sa previous topic re forgiveness to others? But then ipapasok ko naman ang good works will naturally come out. What if hindi mo pa makita deep inside your heart to forgive? Will it be true forgiveness kung sasabihin mo lang na I forgive you? Diyan naman papasok ang you have to work on your salvation (hindi work for your salvation). We are not perfect individuals and as such, lalo na ako, being a baby christian (nun 2010 lang) that I am, I have to constantly study God's Word and get inspiration from It.

Ayan, medjo pinagsama ko and medjo na-reconcile ko. Hehe!

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 11:15 PM »
Atty. bro Barrister:

Yan na nga ba ang kinakatakot ko na i-quote mong verse sa bible:

Hebrew 4

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

The audience here are the hebrews. Paul was talking about those who practice Judaism even after Jesus Christ came. They were once enlighten, have tasted the heavenly gift and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost. They were the people in the old testament, the Israelites. Kaya nga:

seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Even after Jesus was crucified to the cross, they still continue in disbelief kay Jesus. Continuing in disbelief, they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh. Afresh meaning again. Kung idudugtong natin ito sa mga christians na nag-fall away, then it would contradict John 10:29

My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.

Imagine God's love sa atin. If we are redeemed, God takes possession of us. Why? Because we are His possession in the first place. We were just lost. And how were we redeemed, through the blood of Jesus Christ, the perfect sacrifice to a perfect God.

Now you may ask, are the people of the old testament saved because wala pa si Jesus Christ nun time na yun? Yes they are because they have faith in the coming Messiah. And within that faith, as atty. bro barrister mentioned, comes the works they did as so ordered by God. So to continue with the Hebrew 4:

9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

Jan din papasok yun sinasabi ni atty. bro Barrister na works.

For me, good works may come naturally. But again as I said, there are times that we have to work hard for it. Work on your salvation. And kung nahihirapan ka,:

And He said, "Cast your burdens upon Me
Those who are heavily laden,
Come to Me, all of you who are tired
Of carrying heavy loads,
For the yoke I will give you is easy
And My burden is light,
Come to Me and I will give you rest."

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 11:25 PM »
OK yan sir, I also want to read about different interpretations from different people.

Sa mga detalye lang naman tayo magkaiba.

At least, mas mabibigat ang discussions dito.  I'm sure nakakita ka na ng mga tao, John 3:16 lang pala ang kabisado, pero feeling expert na sa bibliya...  ;D  At least dito, maraming serious students of the bible.

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 at 11:25 PM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 11:27 PM »
Eto naman ang isang context some people use for back sliders:

Galatians 5

4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Sa NIV, it says:

4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

But if we get the verses before that, it says:

1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.

3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Again, it talks about the jews from the old testament who follows the law re circumcision.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 11:29 PM »
OK yan sir, I also want to read about different interpretations from different people.

Sa mga detalye lang naman tayo magkaiba.

At least, mas mabibigat ang discussions dito.  I'm sure nakakita ka na ng mga tao, John 3:16 lang pala ang kabisado, pero feeling expert na sa bibliya...  ;D  At least dito, maraming serious students of the bible.

Yes sir! What is important is, while we are discussing the Bible, we can seek comfort in the Word. Plus, through this discussion, we are glorifying God and His purpose for us.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Mar 11, 2015 at 12:15 AM »
It reconciles naman for me. God gave Adam and Eve free will. In order for them to pass the test, they have to decide on their own whether to eat the apple or not.

By the way, don't say "apple."  That's not biblical.

Basahin mo uli yung Genesis, walang nakalagay na "apple."   ;)   
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2015 at 12:15 AM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Mar 11, 2015 at 12:55 AM »

"Let him deny himself" - it only means forsake your earthly desire... we are sons of God inside sinful flesh... we need to deny ourself for its earthly desire instead take up the cross - to live daily as how Jesus walk His life while on flesh...

nasabi na din ni Sir Nelson na "no one can pluck them out of my hand" - once we become 'sheep of God', 'flock of sheep', 'son of God' or saved wala nang makaka-alis ng ganyang status between us and God... even ourselves cannot undone that..

"Excep a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God"... there are two kinds of birth - physical and spiritual birth

physical birth
- we were born physically by our mother once
-we were born in sin (as sin and death passed to all men after magkasala sina adam and eve)
- alive physically but dead spiritually
- will experience both physical and spiritual death

spiritual birth
- we are born in Spirit
- we are quickened meaning our dead spirit becomes alive
- alive physically and spiritually
- will only experience physical death

we can only experience one physical birth, walang taong isinilang ng kanyang nanay and then sometimes in his/her life muli siyang isisilang ng kanyang nanay...

same principle when it comes to our spiritual birth... we can only have one spritual birth in our lifetime or eternity. Now, if we have a losing salvation (anytime we can lose our salvation) then we need to be born again spiritually several times while doing his commandments.

To summarize it:
eternal assurance of salvation - single/one spiritual birth
losing salvation (any moment we lose our salvation if we cant follow the commandment) - several or repeated spiritual birth

let me share some verses that shows na when we are born of God... good works always follow

1 John 3:4-9
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1 John 5:4
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Ephesian 2:10
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

there are 2 justification:
First: justification before eyes of God - fatih
Second: justification before eyes of men - good works

in terms of Salvation we only need the first justification
- in our first justification God only needs your faith (as i posted earlier - this is not just a simple faith, its an experience - a personal relationship between you and God)

in terms of living in this sinful world we need the second justification
- we need good works to justify before the eyes of men that we are really 'son of God'
- we need good works to show them that Christ manifest in ourselves
- this is true when James said... "faith without works is dead (before eyes of men) "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."... sinasabi mo na Christian ka pero wala kang pagmamalasakit sa iyong kapwa... James here speaking about Christian living... not how to become Christian...

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Mar 11, 2015 at 02:48 AM »

By the way, don't say "apple."  That's not biblical.

Basahin mo uli yung Genesis, walang nakalagay na "apple."   ;)

Thanks for correcting me. :D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Mar 11, 2015 at 02:53 AM »
Bro Dpogs, mahaba habang usapan din yan born again, physical and spiritual birth. ;D
I have a friend who used to be a 7th day Adventist pastor. His explanation of born again is that upon dying, our spirit leaves our physical body and thus only then can see the kingdom of God because we are not in our physical state. But that's his interpretation.

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #237 on: Mar 12, 2015 at 01:02 PM »
John 3:3 (KJV)

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

a man be born again not again and again.

Question - Jesus disciples,we do not know them personally.
They have been born again, what's the proof that they have been born again?
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Mar 12, 2015 at 08:32 PM »

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Try ko lang sir sagutin ha.

2 Cor. 13

13 This will be my third visit to you. “Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.”[a] 2 I already gave you a warning when I was with you the second time. I now repeat it while absent: On my return I will not spare those who sinned earlier or any of the others, 3 since you are demanding proof that Christ is speaking through me. He is not weak in dealing with you, but is powerful among you. 4 For to be sure, he was crucified in weakness, yet he lives by God’s power. Likewise, we are weak in him, yet by God’s power we will live with him in our dealing with you.

5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? 6 And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test. 7 Now we pray to God that you will not do anything wrong—not so that people will see that we have stood the test but so that you will do what is right even though we may seem to have failed.

Siguro, this is also applicable not only sa mga kausap ni Paul, sa mga apostles and sa atin if we question our salvation. Meron din sir verses wherein Jesus was talking to His disciples telling them that they will be with Jesus in heaven while Jesus was still alive. Hindi ko lang mahanap pa.  ;D

Edited: Nakita ko na.

Luke 22

24 A dispute also arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. 25 Jesus said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. 26 But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. 27 For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. 28 You are those who have stood by me in my trials. 29 And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, 30 so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Jesus was talking to the disciples after He predicted the betrayal of one of His apostles.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2015 at 08:40 PM by Nelson de Leon »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: Mar 13, 2015 at 12:04 AM »

PROOF: The Word of God and His promises is enough.

But if you're looking for physical proof... iyong nakikita ng mata natin... we can only tell it by their works and testimony...

i can say that Paul a born again based on his testimony and works...
same din masasabi ko sa mga natitirang apostles (except for Judas), kay Moses, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Adam and Eve, Abel (not Cain), Zacchaeus (tax collector), criminal na kasamang napako at marami pang iba.

eto ang sinasabi ni James na "I will show you my faith by my works"... if you proclaim that you're a son of God then show it... pakainin mo ang nagugutom... love your enemies... desire not things that of this world... etc...
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2015 at 12:07 AM by dpogs »