Author Topic: Comparisons of Receivers  (Read 334969 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Comparisons of Receivers
« Reply #1860 on: Aug 28, 2009 at 08:14 AM »
Thank you for the very useful information sir :) I have one more question though, di po ba masyadong mahina ang 75 w/channel...I mean, is the Denon 1610 future proof -- meaning in terms of speakers -- sa ngayon ok pa kasi wharfedale 9.1 pa lang, how about in the future if I have the money already to upgrade to b&w, etc, di po ba ako mabibitin?

thanks!

If it has pre-outs, you can just buy power amps in the future if you want more power. It it doesn't and you need more power, get Klipsch or other high-sensitivity speakers and you'll still be ok.

But I suspect that even if you had the extra power, you'd probably upgrade the AVR in the future anyhow cuz AVR technology is improving so fast.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline abcerase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1861 on: Aug 28, 2009 at 08:25 AM »
If it has pre-outs, you can just buy power amps in the future if you want more power. It it doesn't and you need more power, get Klipsch or other high-sensitivity speakers and you'll still be ok.

But I suspect that even if you had the extra power, you'd probably upgrade the AVR in the future anyhow cuz AVR technology is improving so fast.

I see...thanks so much sir!

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
Re: Onkyo or Denon
« Reply #1862 on: Aug 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM »
I use both, mas older lang Onkyo ko ... Onkyo 501 and Denon 1909 ... I can say that sound quality would depend a lot on the speakers you're connecting, and you should not go wrong with either brand

If you are new to setting up and using an AVR, Onkyo is much user friendly - you wouldn't need the manual to set it up ... on features, I prefer the Denon, but it really sucks on user friendliness especially the remote control unit - been using the unit for almost a year, and i still have to refer to the manual (which also sucks by the way) from time-to-time ... sans the user-friendliness, I still prefer Denon over Onkyo  ;D
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline abcerase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1863 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 07:08 AM »
sir, i read something about the onkyo 607...ganda daw po entry level...how much po d2 sa atin?
--update: 31k from avshop

thank you po sa mga responses nyo sirs!
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2009 at 08:26 AM by abcerase »

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1864 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 03:14 PM »
sir, i read something about the onkyo 607...ganda daw po entry level...how much po d2 sa atin?
--update: 31k from avshop

thank you po sa mga responses nyo sirs!

onkyo also has the 507 which already has hd audio as well. :)

Offline chrisrhob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1865 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 04:25 PM »
Guys patulong naman, im off to shop for a new AV receiver and my budget is more or less mga 30K. I am looking at the Denon 1909 but it seems it has a lot of issues with regards to its user friendliness sa pag setup as mentioned by raptor and other peeps all over the web who also have the same issues with denon 1909, so what are my other options? lets say sa Yamaha? Onkyo? HK? what receiver has the best bang-for-the-buck within my budget of 30-35k?

:-\

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #1866 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 04:33 PM »
Guys patulong naman, im off to shop for a new AV receiver and my budget is more or less mga 30K. I am looking at the Denon 1909 but it seems it has a lot of issues with regards to its user friendliness sa pag setup as mentioned by raptor and other peeps all over the web who also have the same issues with denon 1909, so what are my other options? lets say sa Yamaha? Onkyo? HK? what receiver has the best bang-for-the-buck within my budget of 30-35k?

if you read the manual ok lang naman, actually i never read any of my manuals :D

note lang na meron nang 10 series and denon: 1910 and 2310

sanayan lang yan.  i started with yamaha, then HK then Denon :) (i now have 4 denons)

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2009 at 04:38 PM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline jetro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1867 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 04:57 PM »
pasali nga po.  and what about marantz?  di na ko updated sa receivers ngayon but back in 2004 marantz is bigger than denon.  lately there has been little interest in marantz as compared to denon.  why is this? I heard denon has better audissey eq implementation.  what else?

Offline tein

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sound and Vision Home Entertainment 0917-5160808
  • Liked:
« Reply #1868 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 07:01 PM »

SIr try mo yun harman kardon 255 .. dali lang sya gamitin halos same level sila ng denon 1909 ata  ;)

Offline Gwenael

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1869 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 08:11 PM »
Mga sirs tulong po on choosing the right receiver. Pinagpipilian ko ngayon Marantz 6003, Onkyo 876 and equivalent Denon model 3310 or 2310?...I haven't audition them yet and probably might not have the luxury of time to do so due to my limited vacation time. Anyway, i'm going to pair it with Ikon 6. 70/30 music/ movie usage. I'm leaning towards Marantz as i'm coming from Marantz 4400 and been satisfied with it. But now, I have this itch to upgrade to max. out the benefit of the new sound format as well as the benefit of Audyssey calibration (no sound treatment due to WAF).  Currently i'm using PS3 as source for BD and Pioneer for audio. Display is 42" panasonic plasma. Any inputs / suggestions are very much welcome. Thanks in advance.
marantz sr8001; dv6001
aaudio 15" coaxial; surrounds
panasonic 42pv70h
sony ps3
hdpro

Offline chrisrhob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1870 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 09:56 PM »

SIr try mo yun harman kardon 255 .. dali lang sya gamitin halos same level sila ng denon 1909 ata  ;)

kewl ang ganda nga ng hk avr 255 ^_^ still researching which one is better vs denon1910. sa yamaha or onkyo wala katapat?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1871 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 10:03 PM »
Mga sirs tulong po on choosing the right receiver. Pinagpipilian ko ngayon Marantz 6003, Onkyo 876 and equivalent Denon model 3310 or 2310?...I haven't audition them yet and probably might not have the luxury of time to do so due to my limited vacation time. Anyway, i'm going to pair it with Ikon 6. 70/30 music/ movie usage. I'm leaning towards Marantz as i'm coming from Marantz 4400 and been satisfied with it. But now, I have this itch to upgrade to max. out the benefit of the new sound format as well as the benefit of Audyssey calibration (no sound treatment due to WAF).  Currently i'm using PS3 as source for BD and Pioneer for audio. Display is 42" panasonic plasma. Any inputs / suggestions are very much welcome. Thanks in advance.

if its audyssey you are looking for then its a choice between onkyo and denon. i think 876 is a pretty good receiver and with its hqv chip, it also acts your dvd upscaler, a pretty good one at that.

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1872 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 10:24 PM »

you can come check out the denon 2310 and marantz sr5003 in the shop. :)

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1873 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 10:25 PM »
kewl ang ganda nga ng hk avr 255 ^_^ still researching which one is better vs denon1910. sa yamaha or onkyo wala katapat?

come to the shop and listen for yourself. we have the hk 255, denon 1909, and denon 1910 for you to compare. :)

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: marantz vs denon
« Reply #1874 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 10:30 PM »
the new denon models are now even more musical than before. come check them out. :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1875 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 06:53 AM »

You are looking at the latest models. As far as I know, the new models are pretty expensive because they have the earliest implementations of Audyssey DSX, which theoretically allows you to have 11 speakers + subwoofer (2 "wide" channels and 2 "height" channels), although these earliest receivers can actually drive only 9 speakers at a time.

If you don't have a pretty big and WIDE room, you can't really use Audyssey DSX. In any case, the technology is pretty new and you are the guinea pig for these receivers.

If I were you, I'd buy a Denon 3808 before they are faced out by the Denon 3310. In fact, iirc, the 3808 has Audyssey MutlEQ XT while the 3310 has only MultEQ. The XT version has 8x more filters for the satellite channels. The 3808 is getting cheaper -- you can buy it at Amazon for $1000.

Offline Gwenael

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1876 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 11:53 AM »
@ sir iinas, thanks for the input. yes, audyssey feature is of utmost importance to me. Looking at the specs it seems it's a toss up between Onkyo's 876 and Denon 3808 as recommended by sir streetmart due to its MultiEQ XT. Overall, 876 seems has more features than both Denon and Marantz at almost the same price level. Do you happen to know the prevailing price at the market for 876 (sealed)?

@ sir streetmart, you are right sir it should be Denon 3808 and not the latest models if i want more value for money. i'm just curious though, how good Denon is when it comes to music reproduction compare with Marantz 6003 and Onkyo 876? I'm going to pair it with Ikon 6. By the way sir, do you happen to know the prevailing price at the market for 3808? i prefer local version 220v..

thanks and God Bless.
marantz sr8001; dv6001
aaudio 15" coaxial; surrounds
panasonic 42pv70h
sony ps3
hdpro

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1877 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 01:05 PM »
@ sir streetmart, you are right sir it should be Denon 3808 and not the latest models if i want more value for money. i'm just curious though, how good Denon is when it comes to music reproduction compare with Marantz 6003 and Onkyo 876? I'm going to pair it with Ikon 6. By the way sir, do you happen to know the prevailing price at the market for 3808? i prefer local version 220v..

My guesses:

The Onkyo 876 has better video processing because of its Reon chip. However, it runs very hot so you need to keep it well-ventilated and its reputed to have inferior sound quality as compared to the Denon 3808, maybe because of the DACs.

The Marantz 6003 is reputed to have pretty good audio and my guess is again the DACs but it has an inferior version of Audyssey (only MultEQ vs MultEQ XT for the Denon 3808, which provides 8x more filters for the satellite speakers, i.e., all speakers other than the sub). Furthermore, there have been a lot of comments about problems with Audyssey processing for Marantz AVRs. Given the importance of Audyssey room correction for sound quality in your room, this is a big factor. No matter how good your amps are, it is most often your room that compromises the sound quality the most. Ergo, Audyssey room correction is invaluable for sound quality.

The Denon 3808 also has an incredibly good GUI. I used to think this was just a "nice to have" but I realized quickly that its a god-send cuz its so easy to make adjustments on the fly. It makes it much easier to set-up the AVR.

With regard to local price, frankly I don't know. You'd have to check out one of the many shops. Maybe Sights & Sounds would give you a good deal. I think that AV Driver is the authorized distributor locally. Make sure you get the latest version of the 3808, which should have Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Volume, both of which are great technologies.

Good luck!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1878 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 02:27 PM »
My guesses:

The Onkyo 876 has better video processing because of its Reon chip. However, it runs very hot so you need to keep it well-ventilated and its reputed to have inferior sound quality as compared to the Denon 3808, maybe because of the DACs.

The Marantz 6003 is reputed to have pretty good audio and my guess is again the DACs but it has an inferior version of Audyssey (only MultEQ vs MultEQ XT for the Denon 3808, which provides 8x more filters for the satellite speakers, i.e., all speakers other than the sub). Furthermore, there have been a lot of comments about problems with Audyssey processing for Marantz AVRs. Given the importance of Audyssey room correction for sound quality in your room, this is a big factor. No matter how good your amps are, it is most often your room that compromises the sound quality the most. Ergo, Audyssey room correction is invaluable for sound quality.

The Denon 3808 also has an incredibly good GUI. I used to think this was just a "nice to have" but I realized quickly that its a god-send cuz its so easy to make adjustments on the fly. It makes it much easier to set-up the AVR.

With regard to local price, frankly I don't know. You'd have to check out one of the many shops. Maybe Sights & Sounds would give you a good deal. I think that AV Driver is the authorized distributor locally. Make sure you get the latest version of the 3808, which should have Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Volume, both of which are great technologies.

Good luck!

i have to agree with sir mark, denon's are known to be better in sound quality  than onkyo. but you may want to pm @JAQY888 as he has an 875 matched with dali ikons too. primarily used for ht. and yes onkyos do run hot. but if you have substantial dvd collection then its good to have the reon chip sir mark was talking about.

but the gui of denon is indeed great, since you can conjure at anytime. unlike onkyo's wherein you have to go out of the movie to get the gui. so as sir mark pointed out, setting up on the fly is smooth on a denon. its your choice ultimately. if i am not mistaken 876 could be had for 80k cash locally (220 v)
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2009 at 05:11 PM by iiinas »

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1879 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 02:38 PM »
impression ko on Onkyo was that marami siyang good features for the price, i didn't get one because of the reported heat problems (and a few units dying as per amazon.com reviews)

so i went with 3808's as well, mas mahal, pero mas reliable.

i can show you how the 3808 works when you visit sir Gwenael :D

the 3808's audyssey with my SVS AS-EQ1 subwoofer audyssey really improved SQ (as in night and day, and i can barely hear differences between speakers)
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1880 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 02:50 PM »
sir mark,

pano pala i-activate ang EXT-IN input sa 3808?  :D
can't find it sa manual e ...

TIA
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline jetro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: marantz vs denon
« Reply #1881 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 03:03 PM »
the new denon models are now even more musical than before. come check them out. :)

do you have denon avr-790? please pm me the price if you have it.

Offline chrisrhob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
So far these are the AVRs that fit the bill for me but the question is which one is right for me? Im still planning to get speakers to pair up with this receiver. Currently i have an HTPC, XBOX 360, Toshiba Up-converting DVD player  and a Samsung 55B650, so basically most of my use would be on gaming and movies so which one should i go for?  :-\

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
similar ba prices sir?
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline chrisrhob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
sa pag canvas ko yup, halos 30k silang lahat. but i dont know which one to for...

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
one thing that helps me decide is to list the pros and cons of each receiver, but that's dependent on the user on what you think is important ... it's also easier to eliminate choices than to choose a winner.

basically, find the faults in all the receivers and eliminate the ones that you can't live with.

pros would be:
- what features you require now
- what features you will require in the future
- pre-outs
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline chrisrhob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
sowie but i really don't know much about the features that i need, of course sound quality is a given. i need it to drive a 5.1 system and probably upgrade to a 7.1 in the future.

All i know is that as long as i can connect my xbox, ps3, popcorn c200 and blue ray and that its primary use would be for playing games and watching movies im good to go. also a primary concern would be if its easy to set-up.

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
sowie but i really don't know much about the features that i need, of course sound quality is a given. i need it to drive a 5.1 system and probably upgrade to a 7.1 in the future.

All i know is that as long as i can connect my xbox, ps3, popcorn c200 and blue ray and that its primary use would be for playing games and watching movies im good to go. also a primary concern would be if its easy to set-up.

well, it looks like all these receivers will power your setup fine.
the sources you mentioned looks to require at least 3 HDMI inputs. 

maybe you can cut and paste all the specs of these units here so we can dissect them :)
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1888 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 04:50 PM »
sir mark,

pano pala i-activate ang EXT-IN input sa 3808?  :D
can't find it sa manual e ...

TIA

Mike, IIRC, you can activate this per input. Go to the input menu and change the audio source to EXT-IN.

IIRC, the other way is through the remote. Select the input and then press the touchscreen for audio input (don't recall the exact name). It will toggle thru the different options so just wait till it goes to EXT-IN

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1889 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 04:56 PM »
Mike, IIRC, you can activate this per input. Go to the input menu and change the audio source to EXT-IN.

IIRC, the other way is through the remote. Select the input and then press the touchscreen for audio input (don't recall the exact name). It will toggle thru the different options so just wait till it goes to EXT-IN

thanks sir mark :)  will try that.  i've been using the ordinary inputs for the AS-EQ1 when the manual says to use the EXT-IN kasi.
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio