Author Topic: Comparisons of Receivers  (Read 331842 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Comparisons of Receivers
« Reply #1890 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 05:16 PM »
thanks sir mark :)  will try that.  i've been using the ordinary inputs for the AS-EQ1 when the manual says to use the EXT-IN kasi.

The EXT-IN inputs will provide an analog signal and no processing at all, particularly Audyssey. So it should be quite different. I don't know why SVS requires it that way but I guess that needs to be followed.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #1891 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 05:19 PM »
The EXT-IN inputs will provide an analog signal and no processing at all, particularly Audyssey. So it should be quite different. I don't know why SVS requires it that way but I guess that needs to be followed.

hopefully that's the reason i have this unsolvable dip (no matter where i place the subs) :D
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline Gwenael

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1892 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 06:41 PM »
@ sir streetsmart and sir iinas maraming salamat sa napakagandang ideas, explaination and recommendation nyo. it makes our life (newbie) a little bit easier in choosing the right gears that would give us the best bang for the buck of our hard earned money.

@ sir mike, thanks for the invitation. looking forward to visit your place para kunin ko na sub ko..hehe :D sobrang excited na nga ako at di na mapag katulog...haayyy tagal pa!
marantz sr8001; dv6001
aaudio 15" coaxial; surrounds
panasonic 42pv70h
sony ps3
hdpro

Offline wink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1893 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 09:38 PM »
Hi there. I'm planning to buy a new receiver and I'm torn between a Denon AVR 2310 vs Pioneer 1019AH. Any advice that could help me decide what to get? Thanks in advance.

Offline chrisrhob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:

Offline chrisrhob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:

Offline chrisrhob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:

Offline chrisrhob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:

Offline chrisrhob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
To me, all these are all jargon  :-\ i don't know which spec is better than the other

Offline Stark3

• Collector
  • Liked:
Hmm ... when I was doing my own research for a receiver, it became a toss up between the Denon and the HK. The HK AFAIR is the only receiver of the bunch that has pre-outs (meaning you can connect it to an external power amp if you wanted to do that kind of upgrade), plus all reviews point to the HK as being the most musical sounding.

What the Denon has going for it is more features, the most attractive one being the Audyssey room eq. HK also has an auto setup/eq feature, but it doesn't nearly sound as good as the Audyssey implementation. Also, the Denon seemed more reliable than the HK.

Have you tried auditioning the receivers you've mentioned? If you still don't have a preference after doing an A/B comparison between the Denon and the HK, I'd go with the Denon for its Audyssey. It would have more of an impact in your environment IMO.

Just my two cents (all theoretical. ^^)

Cheers!

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: marantz vs denon
« Reply #1900 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 11:58 PM »
do you have denon avr-790? please pm me the price if you have it.

we have the denon 1910 which is similar to the denon 790. :)

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: marantz vs denon
« Reply #1901 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 12:02 AM »
do you have denon avr-790? please pm me the price if you have it.

Q. What is the difference between the three-digit models (e.g. AVR 790) and the four-digit models (e.g. AVR 1910)?

A: Essentially, NOTHING. Denon puts out two parallel receiver lineups, with four-digit and three-digit model numbers. The four-digit models are generally sold by high end stereo shops and custom installers, and the three-digit models are the "consumer" version sold in retail outlets like Circuit City and Fry's.

However, there is ZERO difference in terms of power, specs, sound quality, build quality, etc. between the two lines. Denon has been doing this for years, it is exactly analagous to the Yamaha HTR and RX-V parallel receiver lines.

There will usually be one or two minor differences to differentiate the three-digit and four-digit models. There is typically a slight cosmetic difference between the two lines, and different remotes.

In the specific case of the 1910 vs. 790, the only differences (besides the cosmetics) is:

1. the 1910 has A/B speaker switching, whereas the 790 only has "A" front speakers
2. the 1910 adds a "room to room" remote control jack for wired control from Zone 2

In all other respects, the 1910 and 790 are IDENTICAL.

taken from avsforum. :)

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Onkyo or Denon
« Reply #1902 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 06:44 AM »
Tanong ka lang dyan sa Marketplace.

Yammy 663 pwede yun.  ;)

Offline abcerase

• Collector
  • Liked:
Hmm ... when I was doing my own research for a receiver, it became a toss up between the Denon and the HK. The HK AFAIR is the only receiver of the bunch that has pre-outs (meaning you can connect it to an external power amp if you wanted to do that kind of upgrade), plus all reviews point to the HK as being the most musical sounding.

What the Denon has going for it is more features, the most attractive one being the Audyssey room eq. HK also has an auto setup/eq feature, but it doesn't nearly sound as good as the Audyssey implementation. Also, the Denon seemed more reliable than the HK.

Have you tried auditioning the receivers you've mentioned? If you still don't have a preference after doing an A/B comparison between the Denon and the HK, I'd go with the Denon for its Audyssey. It would have more of an impact in your environment IMO.

Cheers!

Sir, what Denon model did you purchase?

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
Yamaha Pros:
-all channels pre-out
-4 HDMI inputs

Denon Pros:
-4 HDMI inputs
-Audyssey EQ

Onkyo Pros:
-5+1 HDMI inputs

HK Pros:
-looks really cool
-good resale value
-all channels pre-out
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2009 at 07:27 AM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Cheers!

Nice. +1

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Yamaha rx-v665 has lots/plenty of features, less-power

Denon avr1910 winner of European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA) receiver of the year, though very difficult to use (rc)

Onkyo tx-sr607 real value for money, an absolute steal, no pre-outs

Harman/Kardon aesthetically very muscular/appealing, tends to become very hot

Marantz sr5003 more inclined to music, EXPENSIVE

hope this helps,

can anyone please mpost the pricesf these receivers for easy reference?

thNKS

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
Re: Onkyo or Denon
« Reply #1907 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 09:31 AM »
SINCE YOU'RE MORE INTO MOVIES, I SUggest that you get the onkyo, more affordable and easier to operate than the denon.

Sir Imerb,

update pls ano po napili/nabili nyo?

thanks

Offline Stark3

• Collector
  • Liked:
Sir, what Denon model did you purchase?

After doing all my research ... wala. Hahaha. I decided to go the separate pre/pro + power amp route instead. The more I researched, the more I felt that I didn't want to compromise on overall quality. Ngawa nga lang nga ang wallet ko.  :(

If I were to limit my choices to Denon receivers tho, I'd go with a used older model, preferably the Denon 2807. It may not have the latest and greatest features / bells and whistles, but it has the XT version of the Audyssey MultiEQ, and the same processing engine as the 3XXX and higher series. Pre-outs for all channels too.

Also a minor correction in my earlier post ... the Yamaha 665 also has pre outs. Thanks to mike for the correct information.

EDIT: I see that there's a Denon 3805 on sale in the marketplace. If you're willing to forego HDMI connectivity and on-board decoding of the latest lossless audio formats, this is a great find. At the price posted, it's a steal. If I hadn't made my purchase, I'd get it in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2009 at 10:33 AM by Stark3 »

Offline chrisrhob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
 :o thanks guys sa inputs ^_^ laki tulong nyo helping me decide, somehow its getting a little bit clearer now. So basically from your inputs I'm guessing all these AVRs sound good but it boils down to features nila

Im leaning towards the Denon AVR 1910 but im still a little bit intimidated on its ease of use and how to properly configure it. The hk255 having a tendency to heat up is sort of a deal breaker for me coz my location is near beach area and tends to get hot here even with AC on. Reliability is a big plus. I'll try to test these out kay avshop. Still hunting the Yamaha 665 for testing. any of you guys know where i can test out a Yamaha RX-V665?

Here are the prices btw from my canvass

Denon AVR 1910 (31,000php)
Onkyo TXSR607 (28,900php)
Yamaha RX-V665 (30,000php)
Harman Kardon AVR-255 (29,500php)

baka may mga iba dyan na alam kung saan mas mura pa pm naman  :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
So basically from your inputs I'm guessing all these AVRs sound good but it boils down to features nila

I actually think the Denon will sound best. Not because of its DACs or whatever, but because of the Audyssey room correction feature. Makes a huge difference in sound.

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Good thing someone brought this up.  Was considering the same models as well and has limited my options to the 1910 and the 255.  The Denon 1910 because of its features (especially auddyssey) and the HK 255 because of the reported great sound and user friendliness as well pre-outs.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
Denon AVR 1910 (31,000php)
Onkyo TXSR607 (28,900php)
Yamaha RX-V665 (30,000php)
Harman Kardon AVR-255 (29,500php)

From your list, I would say the Denon is the best choice. 

Members of foreign forums say HK has heat issues; and that Onkyo has heat and buzzing issues.

Yamaha makes very reliable, trouble-free receivers, and I personally prefer the Yamaha sound, but they're not so good for 2009.  That RX-V665 is underpowered for a receiver that costs P30K.

That leaves you with the Denon. 

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
When we say heat issues... obviously it gets hot, but does it also mean that it overheats, causing shutdowns, more often or do these units have a higher threshold for heat before it shuts down?

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
When we say heat issues... obviously it gets hot, but does it also mean that it overheats, causing shutdowns, more often or do these units have a higher threshold for heat before it shuts down?

people say that the hotter it is, the shorter the life of the equipment ... that said, i'm sure the designers took this into consideration.  i personally always use a PC fan powered by a wallwart AC to 12vDC connected to the switched outlet of the receiver and that itself is sufficient to keep the receiver very cool :)
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
SIR chrisrhob,

Thanks sa pricelist, since your place is quite hot even if the airconditioner is on, I suggest that you limit your choices between the denon and yamaha. 

These two stays cool even when driven hard.  Maybe these translates to a better components inside the hood.

For sheer power and sound, whether audio or ht, get the denon.

If you prefer or like experimenting different parameters/sound characteristics, yamaha offers you plenty of these.  They are at their in ht use.

Good luck.

Offline wink

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
help needed: pioneer vsx-1019 vs. denon 2310
« Reply #1916 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 12:11 AM »
I'm planning on buying a new AVR and I'm torn between a Pioneer VSX-1019 and a Denon 2310. I would appreciate your input. TIA.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2009 at 06:59 AM by iiinas »

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: help needed
« Reply #1917 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 12:30 AM »
I'm planning on buying a new AVR and I'm torn between a Pioneer VSX-1019 and a Denon 2310. I would appreciate your input. TIA.

I woud go for Denon...  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
Re: help needed
« Reply #1918 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 12:31 AM »

A good reply quoted from MikeC

one thing that helps me decide is to list the pros and cons of each receiver, but that's dependent on the user on what you think is important ... it's also easier to eliminate choices than to choose a winner.

basically, find the faults in all the receivers and eliminate the ones that you can't live with.

pros would be:
- what features you require now
- what features you will require in the future
- pre-outs

Offline retro12195

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
Re: help needed: pioneer vsx-1019 vs. denon 2310
« Reply #1919 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 09:08 AM »
DENON :D
Luxman L430 Denon DL 110 Yamaha YP 700c Paradigm M7V3
B&W OPPO ONKYO 636 Mission