Author Topic: Comparisons of Receivers  (Read 331799 times)

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
Re: Comparisons of Receivers
« Reply #2070 on: Feb 03, 2011 at 08:03 PM »
quick one -

508 vs 608 - worth the 10k diff ba??

Get the 608, it's got 20 watts more compared to the 508.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline stockHT

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2071 on: Feb 03, 2011 at 08:29 PM »
thanks for the replies! budget constraint kaya 508 na lang.

and another question - I'm also looking to hook up my el-cheapo ACE DVD Player/Videoke to 508, ang mangyayari ba ay connect ko sa IN ng 508 yung OUT ng videoke (kung meron) tapos yung MIC sa VIdeoke nakakabit?

thanks!
Blog and Vlog

http://tinyurl.com/YNTV-Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline louie1

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2072 on: Feb 03, 2011 at 09:26 PM »
thanks for the replies! budget constraint kaya 508 na lang.

and another question - I'm also looking to hook up my el-cheapo ACE DVD Player/Videoke to 508, ang mangyayari ba ay connect ko sa IN ng 508 yung OUT ng videoke (kung meron) tapos yung MIC sa VIdeoke nakakabit?

thanks!

for dvd players...i used digital coaxial output ng dvd player....to digital coaxial in ng receiver...
ginamit ko videoke player(karavision from raon)..ok naman sya,

kaya lang sayang avr brader kung sa videoke ko gagamitin (tyak turture sya),,, so bumili ng lang ako ng sakura amp /crown speaker sa raon dedicated for videoke purpose..masira man ok lang... 5K ata buy ko noon sa sakura amp/crown speaker combo ;D

Offline stalkermania

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2073 on: Feb 04, 2011 at 07:04 AM »
instead of 508 maybe you can consider this... price of 508 but similar to 608 features...
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-RC260&class=Receiver&p=s

you can inquire sir cls and arrange a better price...check his thread
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,130466.0/topicseen.html

Offline stockHT

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2074 on: Feb 04, 2011 at 05:12 PM »
oops!! another reading mode!

ano po ba difference (on a high level) ng HT series at TX series ng onkyo?
Blog and Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline stalkermania

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2075 on: Feb 05, 2011 at 09:17 AM »
oops!! another reading mode!

ano po ba difference (on a high level) ng HT series at TX series ng onkyo?

The HT series is designed to be more of a budget type of AVR. Meron siyang premium model which is similar to it, for this case (HT-RC260 and TX-SR608) Parang kotse yan e... For example, Toyota Vios "E" vs Vios "G". The body looks the same but the features are different, same as through with this AVR.

The differences between them are the ff: THX Select2 plus certification, Sirius ready & PC in (A/V)

Basically all the remaining features are the same.

Analyzing it, you can live with the difference, and it will slash out about P10k from a well known 608.

I will recommend that you purchase an HT-RC260.
It will be worth your money.
Hope this helps.  ;)

Offline stockHT

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2076 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 04:19 PM »
The HT series is designed to be more of a budget type of AVR. Meron siyang premium model which is similar to it, for this case (HT-RC260 and TX-SR608) Parang kotse yan e... For example, Toyota Vios "E" vs Vios "G". The body looks the same but the features are different, same as through with this AVR.

The differences between them are the ff: THX Select2 plus certification, Sirius ready & PC in (A/V)

Basically all the remaining features are the same.

Analyzing it, you can live with the difference, and it will slash out about P10k from a well known 608.

I will recommend that you purchase an HT-RC260.
It will be worth your money.
Hope this helps.  ;)

@stalkermania

sir the THX Select2 plus certification, Sirius ready & PC in (A/V) i guess are also not included in 508.
thanks for the reply... i do appreciate the simple explanation which I can comprehend.

my purpose are for both Music and Movies, I'll be reading more of HT-RC260 and probly order online.
this will be paired with aaudio genesis series.

Blog and Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2077 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 04:59 PM »
Sirius will be of no use to you if you are not in US i believe...
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline stockHT

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2078 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 05:21 PM »
Sirius will be of no use to you if you are not in US i believe...

yes i believe.
and RC260 have these two thing that is not present in 508:
*100 Watts per Channel at 8 Ohms, 20 Hz?20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 Channels Driven, FTC VS 80wattss of 508
*HDMI 1080p video upconversion by Faroudja DCDi cinema
* 6 HDMI VS 4 of 508

looks like a win!

although if I compare the price in amazon its $330 for RC260 and $248 for 508...
this one is a tough battle kasi mas madaling ipa-approve kay missis yung 10k kesa sa 15k :)

pero the price here in manila hindi nagkakalayo... around 21k for 110v of RC260 and 22k for the 508 220v.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2011 at 05:26 PM by stockHT »
Blog and Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2079 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 05:31 PM »
yes i believe.
*100 Watts per Channel at 8 Ohms, 20 Hz?20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 Channels Driven, FTC VS 80wattss of 508
* 6 HDMI VS 4 of 508

looks like a win!

although if I compare the price in amazon its $330 for RC260 and $248 for 508...
this one is a tough battle kasi mas madaling ipa-approve kay missis yung 10k kesa sa 15k :)

pero the price here in manila hindi nagkakalayo... around 21k for 110v of RC260 and 22k for the 508 220v.

Sa ken hindi importante tong Upconversion, madalas not noticeable, minsan pa mas nagiging noisy yung PQ. Kaya I prefer this turned off. I just use the upconversion of the source.  ;)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline stalkermania

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2080 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 07:25 AM »
yes i believe.
* 6 HDMI VS 4 of 508

looks like a win!

try to canvass in the MARKETPLACE.
I also recommend that you ask for the quotation for RC260 and 508 from TOY01
Check his thread:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,88081.msg1353085.html#msg1353085

Also, ask around from the likes of Listening Room, AVShop, SNS, etc.

Then go with the lowest price.

Happy hunting!  ;)

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2081 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 09:19 AM »
I must say that the HT-RC260 is great!  I needed to upgrade to a HDMI receiver capable of HD Audio for my MKV files.  I was worried initially about CNET saying it does not support standby pass-through.  Boy, am I glad they are wrong.  HT-RC260 does support standby pass-through, in fact I'm using it right now.  My HTPC is connected via HDMI to the RC260, then 1 HDMI cable out to my PK550.  Tested standby pass-through with my HTPC and Cignal HD STB.  Both work like a charm.  A/V both passed onto my PK550.

Audio Quality is excellent!  My personal test is my MTV  Corrs Unplugged DVD.  The detail of the instruments and Andrea Corr's breathing when playing that flute-like instrument is distinctively heard.  It also pumps up my Wharf Diamond 9 speakers and sub.  And it's not just loud volume, it simply the full range.  Even at lower volumes, details are still very clear.

And for only 20k, it's an unbeatable deal!  I love it!

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2082 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 11:48 AM »
I must say that the HT-RC260 is great!  I needed to upgrade to a HDMI receiver capable of HD Audio for my MKV files.  I was worried initially about CNET saying it does not support standby pass-through.  Boy, am I glad they are wrong.  HT-RC260 does support standby pass-through, in fact I'm using it right now.  My HTPC is connected via HDMI to the RC260, then 1 HDMI cable out to my PK550.  Tested standby pass-through with my HTPC and Cignal HD STB.  Both work like a charm.  A/V both passed onto my PK550.

Audio Quality is excellent!  My personal test is my MTV  Corrs Unplugged DVD.  The detail of the instruments and Andrea Corr's breathing when playing that flute-like instrument is distinctively heard.  It also pumps up my Wharf Diamond 9 speakers and sub.  And it's not just loud volume, it simply the full range.  Even at lower volumes, details are still very clear.

And for only 20k, it's an unbeatable deal!  I love it!

Does the amp suface feel hot when in Pass-thru mode? My 608 does so I stopped using that mode.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2083 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 05:54 PM »
Does the amp suface feel hot when in Pass-thru mode? My 608 does so I stopped using that mode.

I haven't tried checking.  I will see this weekend.  Sabi sa mga nabasa ko 3W lang ang consumption when on standby pass through.

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2084 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 09:17 PM »
I haven't tried checking.  I will see this weekend.  Sabi sa mga nabasa ko 3W lang ang consumption when on standby pass through.

Malabo yata yang 3W sir... baka stand-by consumption yan. No pass-through.

Offline AlienD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2085 on: Feb 24, 2011 at 03:49 AM »
mg sirs, bago lang po ako dito....sorry din po kung mali ata napuntahn ko na topic... hingi lang ako ng opinion nyo.... meron po kasi akong harman kardon avr 255 model, rated 50 watts per channel, then my balak po ako bumili ng  speakers ko, tpos nag tanung ako dito sa glorietta SA automatic center nagbebenta din sila ng HK ask ko kung kaya idrive ng ampli. gang 250 WATTS khit daw gang 350WATTS kaya dw.. taMa po ba ito, di ba masisira ampli ko...and planning to buy n rin aq ng center speaker bose VCS 10 ok lng po ba ito... tnx.. sana matulungan nyo ako... nga po pala ang minimum input power ng speaker ko sana na bibilhin eh 30 watts...

meron akong vcs 10 , i dont recommend this kasi mahina sya, one of the worst speaker ng bose , check amazon.coms review, try polk audio although bose 701 at 301 ay maganda. (IMHO)

Offline stockHT

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2086 on: Apr 06, 2011 at 09:39 PM »
mga sir quick help -

pio 520 vs yamaha rx367?
Blog and Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline lexhd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Onkyo 608 vs Yamaha 667
« Reply #2087 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 02:39 PM »

Hello mga sirs,

I didnt want to hi-jack the other thread re Onkyo 608 vs 767 so i decided to start this one.  I am deciding between the 608 and the 667 kasi. both seem to have good reviews. and more or less, in the same price range. i am just concerned about the overheating issues of the 608...

hope you could share with me your thoughts...

thank you in advance...

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Onkyo 608 vs Yamaha 667
« Reply #2088 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 02:59 PM »

Hello mga sirs,

I didnt want to hi-jack the other thread re Onkyo 608 vs 767 so i decided to start this one.  I am deciding between the 608 and the 667 kasi. both seem to have good reviews. and more or less, in the same price range. i am just concerned about the overheating issues of the 608...

hope you could share with me your thoughts...

thank you in advance...

The 608 does not have overheating issues. Can you point us where you read this?
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline lexhd

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2089 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 03:26 PM »

Thank you for the reply sir Conan.  It's good to hear that the 608 does not have any overheating issues. I am kinda leaning towards upgrading to it (from an rx-v795)...

I went back to this thread and read it again:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=02ea122bf4208c9095ec72af0d4f1d90&t=1236522&page=61

This is the thread that got me concerned.  It's not an overheating "issue" pala. Rather, it is an "issue" of the 608 generating more heat than the rest...

Hope others could share their experiences with either the 667 or the 608...

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2090 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 03:42 PM »
i never encountered any problem with my unit, it does heat up a bit but i think its just normal with receivers.
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2091 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 03:46 PM »
i never encountered any problem with my unit, it does heat up a bit but i think its just normal with receivers.

Yup correct, my Yamaha and Harman does that too... Kelangan lang maganda ventilation or you can always add an external exhaust fan to suck the heat out...
Walang Setup

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2092 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 04:05 PM »

Suggestion lang naman bro.. If you are willing to spend at least 30k for a receiver at hindi naman issue sa yo ang pre-owned. This one below is by far a better option for you. Tawag dito ng ibang members ay si bangis. Specs is almost the same as the 875 pero nagkatalo lang sa video chip: Pag 608 ang kinuha mo at tatambay ka dito PDVD ;D ;D....sigurado mag-u-upgrade ka rin ng mas mataas na modelo. ;D ;D

BTW, yong onkyo 875 ko hindi mo pala mahahawakan sa INIT pag nag-operate na ng at least 30 mins. pero hindi naman nasisira.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,125782.0.html

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2093 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 04:25 PM »

Suggestion lang naman bro.. If you are willing to spend at least 30k for a receiver at hindi naman issue sa yo ang pre-owned. This one below is by far a better option for you. Tawag dito ng ibang members ay si bangis. Specs is almost the same as the 875 pero nagkatalo lang sa video chip: Pag 608 ang kinuha mo at tatambay ka dito PDVD ;D ;D....sigurado mag-u-upgrade ka rin ng mas mataas na modelo. ;D ;D

BTW, yong onkyo 875 ko hindi mo pala mahahawakan sa INIT pag nag-operate na ng at least 30 mins. pero hindi naman nasisira.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,125782.0.html

The problem with that 805 and the receivers that that vendor brings in is walang set-up microphone for Audyssey. Sayang yun Audyssey MultEQ XT feature niya.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2094 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 04:36 PM »
it will be very hard to compare one receiver to another directly but if the basis will the things that you need in a receiver, it will become simpler,

1. Built quality and aesthetics - different brands have different fascia presentation, take a look at both
    models you are comparing and determine which apperance would fancy you more, Take into
    consideration control locations, ease of navigation, display panel even color of the LCD inside the display
    panel. Take a loof at the back panel as well and see for yourself which one would be eaier for you to
    work at and understand.

2. Automatic Room Correction Feature - im not familiar with Yamaha in this aspect but the room correction
   feature that allows you to do more than 2 mic positions in calibrating the system is better than just two
   mic positions. Calibration allows you to enjoy movies closer to reference setting, or how the movie was
   intended to be heard in your listening position.

3. Video Upscaling - if you are into using the receiver for video upscaling, the one that has it hands down
   should be the choice. If you connect your sources directly to your TV, then this feature wouldnt matter.

4. Ease of Use including the remote control - there are times one model becomes better than the other
    becasue fo the ease or difficulty of use both through the remote control or through the reciever's
    control at the front panel. There are people who takes this into consideration as ease of use would avoid
    confusion wiht the controls and the frustration in vaigating through each feautres when you make
    adjustements. This also include the GUI, better GUI is a good attraction too.

5. Sound Quality that Suites you more - NO matter what they say, this will be the most important factor
   that you need to consider. People may say a lot of things about a particular model but at the end of the
   day, choose the one that sounds best to you. Features are just feautres but sometimes there are
   feautres that does not contribute to how good the sound can be.

at the end of the day, each brand and model are very good in their own rights, one may be better in some aspects but if you dont need it, it has no value
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2095 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 04:37 PM »
I didnt want to hi-jack the other thread re Onkyo 608 vs 767 so i decided to start this one.  I am deciding between the 608 and the 667 kasi. both seem to have good reviews. and more or less, in the same price range. i am just concerned about the overheating issues of the 608...

You can't go wrong either way.  

Both are good units, but your choice may be affected by the type of speakers you already have.  Those two receivers will sound different, and they will either sound good or bad depending on the speakers used and your personal preferences.

As for overheating, Yamaha does traditionally run cooler than Onkyo.  

Onkyo has had a reputation for overheating, but now that their new models have cooling fans, I'd say it's safe to get a 608:

Onkyo 608

Yamaha can run at more or less the same temperature, but without need for a cooling fan.

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2011 at 04:38 PM by barrister »

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2096 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 04:37 PM »
The problem with that 805 and the receivers that that vendor brings in is walang set-up microphone for Audyssey. Sayang yun Audyssey MultEQ XT feature niya.

meron akong mic-5000 for onkyo 805/875. pwede ko ipahiram.  ;)

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2097 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 05:40 PM »
brader ayaw mo ba ng denon avr-1911? for me mas ok sya

Offline lexhd

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2098 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 06:22 PM »

Thank you sa replies mga sirs... your inputs are very helpful...

For now, i will pair the receiver with my DM305, cc3 and 302 (more on movies kasi ako).  Oks naman yung combo with the rx-v795 pero gusto ko na rin kasi mag hdmi receiver to take advantage of the "technology". 

How about the after sales of onkyo, may service center ba sila dito mga sirs?

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2099 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 06:40 PM »
Yes Onkyo has a service center, just make sure you buy a local unit and not an imported unit if you want to be assured of warranty.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60