Author Topic: Comparisons of Receivers  (Read 331800 times)

Offline allenwfc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Onkyo 608 vs Yamaha 667
« Reply #2100 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 08:37 PM »

Hello mga sirs,

I didnt want to hi-jack the other thread re Onkyo 608 vs 767 so i decided to start this one.  I am deciding between the 608 and the 667 kasi. both seem to have good reviews. and more or less, in the same price range. i am just concerned about the overheating issues of the 608...

hope you could share with me your thoughts...

thank you in advance...

Get Onkyo NR-609 instead :)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #2101 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 08:40 PM »
Get Onkyo NR-609 instead :)

Availability from the authorized local distributor will be around May-June. The good thing is that it will most likely be the same price as the current 608.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2011 at 08:40 PM by Conan »
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2102 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 11:27 PM »
Availability from the authorized local distributor will be around May-June. The good thing is that it will most likely be the same price as the current 608.

hence better to wait for it than get 608 :)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #2103 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM »
in the other thread, i voted for 608 because i find it's features suiting my taste better than the higher-end yamaha.

regarding the heat issues, it looks normal. i had my 608 running for like 12-15 hours and it's running very well without problems. siguro magiging problema lang siya kapag may umuusok na or you see melted parts on your receiver but other than that, everything should be working fine.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2104 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM »
if you have an airconditioned room, heating issue of onkyo receivers won't matter anymore... pero kung hindi naman airconditioned ang room mo, then you have to have a very good ventilation para safe... i personally not comfortable with equipments na madaling mag-init (except stoves, hehehe ;D), ang tendency kasi, in the long run baka mag-melt yung ibang solders that will cause some malfunctions, hassle kasi magdala ng unit sa service center kahit na sabihin mo pang may warranty.. just to be sure and safe, isa dapat sa mga factor yan sa pagpili ng receivers/amplifiers, cd/dvd players, etc..

kung ako ang papipiliin mo sa dalawang choices mo, i think i'll buy the yamaha... but that's me ha, audition is still required in choosing your receiver and better yet, bring your speakers and test them with those receivers of your choice ;)

BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2105 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 05:14 PM »
in the other thread, i voted for 608 because i find it's features suiting my taste better than the higher-end yamaha.

regarding the heat issues, it looks normal. i had my 608 running for like 12-15 hours and it's running very well without problems. siguro magiging problema lang siya kapag may umuusok na or you see melted parts on your receiver but other than that, everything should be working fine.
12 to 15 hours?straight?

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #2106 on: Apr 16, 2011 at 02:24 PM »
Yup! 15 hours straight. i had it on when i woke up @ 6AM, pinatay ko na yung receiver 9PM nung matutulog na ako. it's in an airconditioned room anyway. I did this to break-in my speakers.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2011 at 02:26 PM by sientobente »

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: Comparisons of Receivers
« Reply #2108 on: Apr 18, 2011 at 03:00 AM »
mga sir quick help -

pio 520 vs yamaha rx367?

VSX-520 supports HD audio, the RX-V367 does not. I would gravitate towards the VSX-520.

Offline stockHT

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2109 on: Apr 18, 2011 at 06:48 PM »
VSX-520 supports HD audio, the RX-V367 does not. I would gravitate towards the VSX-520.

sir stagea salamat.
Blog and Vlog

http://tinyurl.com/YNTV-Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline fisher135

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2110 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 08:26 PM »
I must say that the HT-RC260 is great!  I needed to upgrade to a HDMI receiver capable of HD Audio for my MKV files.  I was worried initially about CNET saying it does not support standby pass-through.  Boy, am I glad they are wrong.  HT-RC260 does support standby pass-through, in fact I'm using it right now.  My HTPC is connected via HDMI to the RC260, then 1 HDMI cable out to my PK550.  Tested standby pass-through with my HTPC and Cignal HD STB.  Both work like a charm.  A/V both passed onto my PK550.

Audio Quality is excellent!  My personal test is my MTV  Corrs Unplugged DVD.  The detail of the instruments and Andrea Corr's breathing when playing that flute-like instrument is distinctively heard.  It also pumps up my Wharf Diamond 9 speakers and sub.  And it's not just loud volume, it simply the full range.  Even at lower volumes, details are still very clear.

And for only 20k, it's an unbeatable deal!  I love it!

Sir can ask where did you buy your unit? kahit pm lng po. tnxs

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2111 on: Apr 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM »
guys what better between these two
denon 1910 vs the yamaha rx667?

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2112 on: Apr 24, 2011 at 02:23 PM »
i like the denon because the name rolls off the tongue better. deeeee-nun.

on a serious note, audyssey a plus for denon since specwise they're both the same.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2011 at 02:52 PM by HEXAGRAM »

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2113 on: Apr 24, 2011 at 03:49 PM »
i like the denon because the name rolls off the tongue better. deeeee-nun.

on a serious note, audyssey a plus for denon since specwise they're both the same.

Yamaha's got ypao. How different is that from Audyssey?
The 667 got 3d and 1910 has non.
What important is the sound quality. So masmaganda ba ang sound quality ng denon 1910 kay sa yamaha 667?

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
what receiver should i buy denon 1910 or yamaha 667
« Reply #2114 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM »
Guys what should I buy between the two. There both good receivers both do exactly what im looking for:
denon 1910
5 hdmi 1.3
90 Watts pc
Audyssey MultEQ
standy by pass through?

yamaha rx667
6 hdmi 1.4 3d ready
90 Watts pc
audio return channel
standy by pass through
ypao
preout

Both are around the same price. i like the denon because forums say the sound quality is amazing but the yamaha is slight weaker in terms of sound pero is future proof.

i still can't decide! ??? can anyone help?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
Re: what receiver should i buy denon 1910 or yamaha 667
« Reply #2115 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 12:31 PM »
Before adding the Audyssey vs YPAO factor into the equation, first decide which amp sound you like better.  It will depend on the kind of speakers you'll be using, plus your personal preferences about the over-all sound.

Personally, my preference goes to the Yamaha sound.  

If you like Denon's sound, then go for it, because the consensus is that Audyssey is the best EQ system.  If you prefer the Yamaha sound, then you must choose Yamaha even if YPAO, while also very good, is still slightly inferior to Audyssey.  That's because your choice should be determined by the sound signature of the amp, not by the performance of the EQ.

Parametric EQ is a great thing, but it still has its limitations.  It still isn't a magic bullet that can instantly cure any room deficiency.

Don't worry too much about it.  Both are very good receivers, and you won't go wrong either way.

What you should be worried about is Denon's after-sales service reliability.  In this neck of the woods, Denon service is terrible.  Browse around for Denon service complaints.

Instead of Denon, why not try out the Onkyos.  Good amp, Audyssey EQ, plus great after-sales service.  Just make sure the unit has enough free space around it so that the internal cooling fan can do its job well.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011 at 06:24 PM by barrister »

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2116 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 01:30 PM »
Before adding the Audyssey vs YPAO factor into the equation, first decide which amp sound you like better.  It will depend on the kind of speakers you'll be using, plus your pesonal preferences about the over-all sound.

Personally, my preference goes to the Yamaha sound.  

If you like Denon's sound, then go for it, because the consensus is that Audyssey is the best EQ system.  If you prefer the Yamaha sound, then you must choose Yamaha even if YPAO, while also very good, is still slightly inferior to Audyssey.  That's because your choice should be determined by the sound signature of the amp, not by the performance of the EQ.

Parametric EQ is a great thing, but it's still has its limitations.  It's still isn't a magic bullet that can instantly cure any room deficiency.

Don't worry too much about it.  Both are very good receivers, and you won't go wrong either way.

What you should be worried about is Denon's after-sales service reliability.  In this neck of the woods, Denon service is terrible.  Browse around for Denon service complaints.

Instead of Denon, why not try out the Onkyos.  Good amp, Audyssey EQ, plus great after-sales service.  Just make sure the unit has enough free space around it so that the internal cooling fan can do its job well.

Great answer barrister. thank you. I'm just newbie looking for a good mid range receive that does multi channel-in and is future proof.
 I initially didn't consider the onkyo because they say it gets hot and there were some issues with Faroudja dropping out.
The only Onkyo model 708 seems to fit what im looking for. Its a beast packed with internet radio and 3d, Hows the performance of the onkyo 708 compared to the denon and rx667?

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #2117 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 02:31 PM »
I agree with Barrister about choosing between Yamaha and Onkyo instead of Denon. I was actually researching Denon because I was interested in the 2011 models when I ran into this test of the Denon 3310 which is a mid-level receiver with an SRP of 1,499 dollars.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/receivers/725-denon-avr-3310ci-71-av-receiver.html?start=2

In summary the test said that you should only run 8 ohm speakers with the 3310 with a sensitivity of at least 90db or higher (due to the weak amp section which is easily prone to distortion). Yet the Denon web site claims "​Low Impedance Drive Capability". I guess this is the explanation why when I purchased a Denon 1611 it sounded very weak with my JBL speakers which had a sensitivity of 87db. I exchanged it for an Onkyo 608 two days later.

Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2118 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 03:02 PM »
I agree with Barrister about choosing between Yamaha and Onkyo instead of Denon. I was actually researching Denon because I was interested in the 2011 models when I ran into this test of the Denon 3310 which is a mid-level receiver with an SRP of 1,499 dollars.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/receivers/725-denon-avr-3310ci-71-av-receiver.html?start=2

In summary the test said that you should only run 8 ohm speakers with the 3310 with a sensitivity of at least 90db or higher (due to the weak amp section which is easily prone to distortion). Yet the Denon web site claims "​Low Impedance Drive Capability". I guess this is the explanation why when I purchased a Denon 1611 it sounded very weak with my JBL speakers which had a sensitivity of 87db. I exchanged it for an Onkyo 608 two days later.

Aight, thanks for the help guys. I'm builder a very good picture here. The Yamaha or Onkyo might be the receiver i'm looking for. im now slightly leaning toward the yamaha...ha

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2119 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 07:02 PM »
Great answer barrister. thank you. I'm just newbie looking for a good mid range receive that does multi channel-in and is future proof.
 I initially didn't consider the onkyo because they say it gets hot and there were some issues with Faroudja dropping out.
The only Onkyo model 708 seems to fit what im looking for. Its a beast packed with internet radio and 3d, Hows the performance of the onkyo 708 compared to the denon and rx667?

I don't know about Onkyo dropouts.  There were dropout issues about 10 years ago, but I haven't read about any confirmed dropout issues these past few years.  

As for temperature, Onkyo traditionally runs hot.  Their solution was a cooling fan, which remedied the issue.  But to me, the better solution would be to redesign the receiver so it can run cool without a fan.  That way, you won't have to worry about frying the amp in case the fan breaks down without your noticing it.

Yamaha's designs put a premium on reliability.  Maybe that's why Yamaha can output about the same power without need for a fan.  If it's reliability you need, Yamaha is more reliable than Onkyo and Denon.

They all sound good, but a lot will depend on the speakers you choose.  There's no way around it --- you will have to audition them with the speakers of your choice.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011 at 07:10 PM by barrister »

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2120 on: Apr 26, 2011 at 02:00 PM »
idea just slammed me on the head. Why am i spending on such 30k receiver when my original budget was 25k?

My thought is should i buy an expensive receiver with stuff that is future proof with awesome features that i will use years from now or buy a cheap one today that does everything i want  and then later maybe 3 years in the line buy a new receiver. i wonder which will save me more money in the long run?

it just really hurts my head. ???

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Marantz SR-5004 or Denon AVR-2311
« Reply #2121 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM »
I need help I'm on the process of buying my 1st brand new receiver and its really hard to decide which one to get. Im planning to get one this may and my budget is very tight so I need your inputs pros and cons

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: Marantz SR-5004 or Denon AVR-2311
« Reply #2122 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 01:27 PM »
I need help I'm on the process of buying my 1st brand new receiver and its really hard to decide which one to get. Im planning to get one this may and my budget is very tight so I need your inputs pros and cons

They seem to be more alike than different (they come from the same group afterall). The Denon seems to be slightly more laden with features, but I prefer the Marantz brand and sound. Marantz AVRs tend to have beefier amp sections as well (they still measure well with all channels driven). Try them both, if you can.

Offline monreq

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • DVD Guru
  • Only a deaf can't distinguish good from bad audio.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2123 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 02:13 PM »
I think depends on brand model.  If I will be the one to buy, I'll test both Yamaha and Denon as per my budget.  Also test same speakers you are going to use in your room.  Room treatment is a must for HT and audio, as well. :)
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline Wildfire™

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2124 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 04:23 PM »
how about reliability brader? do we have service center here for marantz?

Offline Wildfire™

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2125 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 04:31 PM »
they come from the same group afterall

Same company pala sila  :D

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2126 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 08:58 PM »
k thanks for the replys.

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2127 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 09:17 PM »
idea just slammed me on the head. Why am i spending on such 30k receiver when my original budget was 25k?
 it just really hurts my head. ???

the trick is to set your mind that the price of decent receivers' usually start at around 30k, then dont look back at your original budget. it will help lessen the migrane ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2011 at 10:29 PM by pa3ck608 »
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2128 on: Apr 28, 2011 at 02:49 PM »
the trick is to set your mind that the price of decent receivers' usually start at around 30k, then dont look back at your original budget. it will help lessen the migrane ;D

you're saying i should stick with the more expensive receiver. I have an htib speaker set with is old but need replacing.

if i but the denon i save 7000 which can go to my speaker budget.

My question now is spend for an expensive receiver(yammy 667 or denon 2310) now and stick with it for a long time or get a cheaper unit today (denon 1910), buy decent speakers and later replace new receiver 5 years from now which might have hdmi 1.5??? which save me more money in the long run?

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2129 on: Apr 28, 2011 at 03:54 PM »
you're saying i should stick with the more expensive receiver. I have an htib speaker set with is old but need replacing.

if i but the denon i save 7000 which can go to my speaker budget.

My question now is spend for an expensive receiver(yammy 667 or denon 2310) now and stick with it for a long time or get a cheaper unit today (denon 1910), buy decent speakers and later replace new receiver 5 years from now which might have hdmi 1.5??? which save me more money in the long run?

cheaper doest necesarrilly mean its economical ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2011 at 04:02 PM by pa3ck608 »
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i