Author Topic: PBA Season 38  (Read 110312 times)

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PBA Season 38
« Reply #150 on: Dec 14, 2012 at 08:08 PM »
in fairness to Olsen, the circumstances in which he became a PBA head coach were less than ideal.. he was really just a coach on paper to start the season.. it's unfair to expect much from him given the circumstances..

anyway, Alaska marches to the semis after an 88-70 drubbing of Meralco.. they put up a defensive clinic earlier.. a defense highlighted by that Abueva block on Buenafe wherein he pinned the ball then grabbed it in one motion.. mabilis sila sa switches, they fought the screens and their hands were active in blocking the passing lanes.. they meet TNT next and if they play the same way they did vs Meralco, they've got a chance against the defending champs.. also, with their entry into the semis, Calvin Abueva is making a legitimate run at that elusive Rookie-MVP award.. stats-wise, he's already 2nd to Arwind this conference.. if he's consistent and Alaska keeps going deep in the playoffs for the rest of the season, Calvin's got a good chance to win it all..

Offline mikz023

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: Dec 15, 2012 at 08:47 AM »
in fairness to Olsen, the circumstances in which he became a PBA head coach were less than ideal.. he was really just a coach on paper to start the season.. it's unfair to expect much from him given the circumstances..

anyway, Alaska marches to the semis after an 88-70 drubbing of Meralco.. they put up a defensive clinic earlier.. a defense highlighted by that Abueva block on Buenafe wherein he pinned the ball then grabbed it in one motion.. mabilis sila sa switches, they fought the screens and their hands were active in blocking the passing lanes.. they meet TNT next and if they play the same way they did vs Meralco, they've got a chance against the defending champs.. also, with their entry into the semis, Calvin Abueva is making a legitimate run at that elusive Rookie-MVP award.. stats-wise, he's already 2nd to Arwind this conference.. if he's consistent and Alaska keeps going deep in the playoffs for the rest of the season, Calvin's got a good chance to win it all..

Looking forward for abueva to win the mvp-rookie award. I think he deserves it the way he playing right now.

Offline rafa_palma

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Dec 15, 2012 at 09:52 AM »
Do or Die game tomorrow for RoS and Ginebra.

Napapakanta ako.. Let's get physical, physical. :D

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #153 on: Dec 15, 2012 at 09:55 AM »
Looking forward for abueva to win the mvp-rookie award. I think he deserves it the way he playing right now.

It's still early in the season. A player does not deserve to win the rookie of the year award much less the MVP award just because of how he has played in the eliminations of a conference.

The way he's playing and with the support and playing time given to him by Alaska, Abueva is obviously a top choice for rookie of the year but not yet for MVP. Petron's Fajardo has shown he can contend for the rookie of the year award as well. If Petron plays Fajardo to his full potential the rest of the season, then it could be a toss-up between Abueva and Fajardo for the rookie of the year award.

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #154 on: Dec 17, 2012 at 11:55 PM »
wawa pba. they got bumped off the schedule sa MOA arena for thursday for psy's concert. kaya on wednesday, double header ang semis =)

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/pba-revises-semifinals-schedule-because-of-gangnam-style-singer

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Dec 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM »
wawa pba. they got bumped off......

wawa din Ginebra... :(
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Dec 18, 2012 at 06:08 AM »
wawa din Ginebra... :(

pinilit kasi si caguioa at helterbrand kahit pangit laro.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #157 on: Dec 18, 2012 at 03:16 PM »
pinilit kasi si caguioa at helterbrand kahit pangit laro.

Malaki na nawala sa laro ni Jj. Parang walang kompyansa...

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Dec 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM »

Best of 7 starts today at 5pm ;D

Go Alaska!!

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #159 on: Dec 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM »
Is alaska the most underrated team right now? After that big game against petron, I think they have a good chance of beating talk and text.. I like to see alaska vs. Ros in the finals.. Mga homegrown talents..

@ bro louie, I never liked JJ's style of playing.. I rarely watch pba but evrytime i see gsm and jj playing as PG, parang prone sa errors and biglang tumitira.. Just my 2cents :)
The Pats way...

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Dec 19, 2012 at 07:22 PM »
Alaska loses a heartbreaker to TNT in game one, 65-66.. big shot by Ryan Reyes.. Trillo did a good job making adjustments in the 2nd half but Black outcoached him in those last few plays.. not knowing who had possession, Trillo shouldn't have drawn out a play on offense during that lull.. he should have set up a defensive play and just called a time out if the ball went to them..

one good thing for Alaska, though, is that they can really match-up with TNT.. if they can keep it close the entire game, they have a chance of stealing a game or two from TNT.. sub-par games from Baguio, Abueva and Casio but they almost won it..

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #161 on: Dec 19, 2012 at 07:37 PM »
Alaska loses a heartbreaker to TNT in game one, 65-66.. big shot by Ryan Reyes.. Trillo did a good job making adjustments in the 2nd half but Black outcoached him in those last few plays.. not knowing who had possession, Trillo shouldn't have drawn out a play on offense during that lull.. he should have set up a defensive play and just called a time out if the ball went to them..

one good thing for Alaska, though, is that they can really match-up with TNT.. if they can keep it close the entire game, they have a chance of stealing a game or two from TNT.. sub-par games from Baguio, Abueva and Casio but they almost won it..

Speaking of Coach Luigi, he's now being exposed to tough situations and that will do him good as he's starting to gain the experience being a much better coach in the near future.
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012 at 08:18 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #162 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 01:24 PM »
@ bro louie, I never liked JJ's style of playing.. I rarely watch pba but evrytime i see gsm and jj playing as PG, parang prone sa errors and biglang tumitira.. Just my 2cents :)

Bro Allan,
Jj was really good during his MVP season...
ANg nawala sa kanya is yung kompiyansa nya at desire to win. Parang takot na cya lagi ngayon eh, probably because of his previous injury. But he was really good back then...

Hopefully makabawi ang Alaska next game.
No one expected them to reach semis.
Malaking factor to addition ni Casio and Abueva :)

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 06:50 AM »
Ryan Reyes saving the night for TNT with a trey.
Sayang Alaska made a great comeback.
I hope Alaska can play with more intensity in their next game.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2012 at 06:53 AM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM »
Alaska's really going toe to toe with TNT.. they tie the series after a 100-88 win earlier.. Abueva, Casio and Baguio all showed up tonight.. it was an excellent coaching job by Luigi Trillo.. making Calvin come off the bench was a wise decision.. di agad na-foul trouble si Calvin at di nawala yung focus ng maaga.. again, a lot of cheap shots against Abueva earlier.. that slap on the face by Aban should have been a flagrant 2.. I hope Salud upgrades that foul..

the Abueva playing for Alaska is totally different from the one who played in the NCAA.. he's more patient, in control and smart.. andiyan pa yung angas, yung energy, yung yabang but it's all tempered.. and the most important thing, he plays within the system..

and Casio is turning out to be one of the smartest and most clutch point guards in the league.. one hell of a shooter and a very composed playmaker.. laban lang ng laban yung bata.. for me, he's the one guy in the league you should never leave open behind a 3pt line..

my play of the game was the sundot sa pwet by Jazul on Alapag.. napikon si Alapag at tinulak si Jazul.. offensive foul tuloy.. ;D

both semis now tied at 1-1.. that RoS-San Mig game 3 on Christmas is going to be highly physical.. galit si Guiao dahil na-eject so expect a bloody Christmas on game 3.. ;D

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM »
Alaska's really going toe to toe with TNT.. they tie the series after a 100-88 win earlier.. Abueva, Casio and Baguio all showed up tonight.. it was an excellent coaching job by Luigi Trillo.. making Calvin come off the bench was a wise decision.. di agad na-foul trouble si Calvin at di nawala yung focus ng maaga.. again, a lot of cheap shots against Abueva earlier.. that slap on the face by Aban should have been a flagrant 2.. I hope Salud upgrades that foul..

the Abueva playing for Alaska is totally different from the one who played in the NCAA.. he's more patient, in control and smart.. andiyan pa yung angas, yung energy, yung yabang but it's all tempered.. and the most important thing, he plays within the system..

and Casio is turning out to be one of the smartest and most clutch point guards in the league.. one hell of a shooter and a very composed playmaker.. laban lang ng laban yung bata.. for me, he's the one guy in the league you should never leave open behind a 3pt line..

my play of the game was the sundot sa pwet by Jazul on Alapag.. napikon si Alapag at tinulak si Jazul.. offensive foul tuloy.. ;D

both semis now tied at 1-1.. that RoS-San Mig game 3 on Christmas is going to be highly physical.. galit si Guiao dahil na-eject so expect a bloody Christmas on game 3.. ;D

I have to agree with you here.  I used to hate Calvin a lot in the NCAA, being a Red Lion.  But now I find myself being a fan of Alaska and a balik PBA afficionado because of him.  Yes, I noticed his maturity and smarts too.  Husay!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Dec 22, 2012 at 09:38 AM »
Abueva should be Rookie-MVP for bringing excitement to the PBA anew.
Iba tlga ang impact nya when playing on the court. Khit ilan pang knock down ang nararanasan nya in his rookie season.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Dec 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM »
Abueva should be Rookie-MVP for bringing excitement to the PBA anew.
Iba tlga ang impact nya when playing on the court. Khit ilan pang knock down ang nararanasan nya in his rookie season.

If bringing excitement to the PBA is the basis for being Rookie-MVP then Dudut should have won. He brought excitement to the PBA just by standing up from the bench!  ;D

Abueva was thrown out of game 3 of the best-of-seven semifinal between TnT and Alaska for two flagrant fouls. I guess his penchance for "panggugulang" and "pasimpleng tira" is catching up with him. The referees are concentrating on him.

Baguio was also thrown out with a flagrant 2 foul on Castro. It was a very hard double hit, an elbow to the jaw and followed by a hack to the face. He probably would be suspended and miss the next game.

Espinas, actually, was the first player to be thrown out for a technical foul for a fighting stance. But the referees change the call to a flagrant 1 foul and recalled him from the dug-out.

Alaska must be doing something right. They have been able to minimize the offensive games of Castro and Alapag. But, still, TnT has too much firepower. Alaska, also, has to contain the shooters and the big men of TnT and it's easier said than done.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Dec 27, 2012 at 01:05 PM »
I'd be surprised if Salud suspends Baguio. First, Salud rarely suspends anyone. Second, Baguio has no reputation as a dirty player. Third, it's the semis and Baguio is Alaska's main man. Salud wouldn't dare put Alaska at a disadvantage given Uytengsu's penchant for criticizing his actions, or lack thereof.

What happened last night was the referees' fault. They allowed too much physical play from both teams in the first 2 games. Alaska was bound to get physical after all the hits they've been taking this conference. I'm actually surprised at those calls against Calvin. Those didn't even come close to the ones he got from Aban or Rob Reyes.

Alaska has to go back to what was working for them. They have to deny Alapag the ball sa simula pa lang. Hontiveros played excellent denial defense on him in the 1st 2 games. If Jimmy gets his groove assist-wise, mahihirapan Alaska. Williams had great game last night because Jimmy was able to find him.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Dec 27, 2012 at 04:31 PM »
I'd be surprised if Salud suspends Baguio. First, Salud rarely suspends anyone. Second, Baguio has no reputation as a dirty player. Third, it's the semis and Baguio is Alaska's main man. Salud wouldn't dare put Alaska at a disadvantage given Uytengsu's penchant for criticizing his actions, or lack thereof.

What happened last night was the referees' fault. They allowed too much physical play from both teams in the first 2 games. Alaska was bound to get physical after all the hits they've been taking this conference. I'm actually surprised at those calls against Calvin. Those didn't even come close to the ones he got from Aban or Rob Reyes.

Alaska has to go back to what was working for them. They have to deny Alapag the ball sa simula pa lang. Hontiveros played excellent denial defense on him in the 1st 2 games. If Jimmy gets his groove assist-wise, mahihirapan Alaska. Williams had great game last night because Jimmy was able to find him.

The flagrant foul 1 Castro got from Abueva was basically an errant flailing hand that caught him in the neck, no malicious intentions. The flagrant foul 2 Castro got from Baguio is a different case. Though Baguio has no reputation as a dirty player, the hack to the face was intentional. The elbow to the jaw, on the other hand, could be argued as incidental and due to their speed and movement. If Baguio is suspended, Alaska would really be at a disadvantage.

Abueva's intensity has its pros and cons. His intensity energizes his teammates but it can rub the referees the wrong way. If he is not careful, he may find himself in a position wherein the referees second guess his intentions much like the way Jaworski was called for a tripping foul for simply putting his foot forward on a driving player.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Dec 27, 2012 at 04:51 PM »
The flagrant foul 1 Castro got from Abueva was basically an errant flailing hand that caught him in the neck, no malicious intentions. The flagrant foul 2 Castro got from Baguio is a different case. Though Baguio has no reputation as a dirty player, the hack to the face was intentional. The elbow to the jaw, on the other hand, could be argued as incidental and due to their speed and movement. If Baguio is suspended, Alaska would really be at a disadvantage.

Abueva's intensity has its pros and cons. His intensity energizes his teammates but it can rub the referees the wrong way. If he is not careful, he may find himself in a position wherein the referees second guess his intentions much like the way Jaworski was called for a tripping foul for simply putting his foot forward on a driving player.

It wasn't a flagrant foul. Just a technical for 2nd motion. He was ejected because he already had a previous flagrant 1 for tripping Harvey Carey.

Anyway, Baguio has not been suspended. He was just fined P30,000. Here's the statement by the commissioner's office:

"After carefully reviewing the FFP2 called on Cyrus Baguio and weighing his explanation of the circumstances leading to the flagrant foul, this office is upholding the flagrant foul called on him and is fining him the amt. of P30,000.00. No suspension is being meted out in this particular case after taking into consideration Baguio's explanation that he was indeed going to give Jason Castro a hard foul but realized at the last instant that he no longer had the chance to play for the ball. He tried to check himself but it was already too late to avoid the resulting contact. A close look at the replay confirmed Baguio's narration. There was no blatant follow through of Baguio's arm as it hit Castro's face. It was decidedly sheer momentum on his part that largely caused the hard contact on Castro. Nonetheless, this office stands by the FFP2 call for being unnecessary and excessive and fines Baguio."
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2012 at 04:55 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Dec 27, 2012 at 08:40 PM »
It wasn't a flagrant foul. Just a technical for 2nd motion. He was ejected because he already had a previous flagrant 1 for tripping Harvey Carey.

Anyway, Baguio has not been suspended. He was just fined P30,000. Here's the statement by the commissioner's office:

"After carefully reviewing the FFP2 called on Cyrus Baguio and weighing his explanation of the circumstances leading to the flagrant foul, this office is upholding the flagrant foul called on him and is fining him the amt. of P30,000.00. No suspension is being meted out in this particular case after taking into consideration Baguio's explanation that he was indeed going to give Jason Castro a hard foul but realized at the last instant that he no longer had the chance to play for the ball. He tried to check himself but it was already too late to avoid the resulting contact. A close look at the replay confirmed Baguio's narration. There was no blatant follow through of Baguio's arm as it hit Castro's face. It was decidedly sheer momentum on his part that largely caused the hard contact on Castro. Nonetheless, this office stands by the FFP2 call for being unnecessary and excessive and fines Baguio."

My bad. I assumed it was also a flagrant 1 and not a technical foul that was called on Abueva. But it wasn't even a second motion on Abueva's part. It was simply gravity pulling down his arm. Castro's delayed reaction was just a case of trying to convince the referees that Abueva intentionally hit him. Castro wasn't even hurt. ::)

As for Baguio's explanation, and the commissioner's decision, so be it. Though how sheer momentum, the reason for the hard contact, could be deemed excessive is beyond my understanding. ???

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Dec 27, 2012 at 09:06 PM »
Castro's just like Tubid. A huge flopper. Magaling naman pero dinadaan pa rin sa acting.

Anyway, RoS just took a 3-1 lead over San Mig. SMC just can't stop the bench mob of RoS. Talong talo si Tim Cone. Walang gana maglaro yung players niya. Ang lamya.

Offline frequenzy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #173 on: Dec 27, 2012 at 11:13 PM »
It was a very good acting job by castro and the refs fell for it. Sabi tuloy ni baguio cge umarte ka diyan :-)

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #174 on: Dec 28, 2012 at 09:53 AM »
Jason Castro for all his scoring skills - is indeed a big flopper ...... he sure gets fouled a lot (due to his impressive bursts when turning defensive corners), but Castro just over-emphasizes the fouls that he gets.

The hit from Baguio was indeed excessive, but it was more from the speed that both Baguio and Castro were on ....... there was clear intention for the duty foul, but there was no intention to hurt - unlike the recent blatant hits that Abueva got from Aban, Reyes, etc.

=============================================================================

ROS is just a joy to watch on the floor ........ Yeng Guiao has indeed completed ROS' transformation from fringe contender to champ/perennial contender.

Transferees, low draftees, non-athletic scrubs, etc ..... Yeng Guiao makes them the best individuals that they can be and makes them work as a team.

SMC needs to overmatch ROS' energy if they want to steal this series ....... ROS just storms out of the gates to start games.

ROS = RED BULL 2.0.

Offline frequenzy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #175 on: Dec 28, 2012 at 09:24 PM »
nice win by alaska 2-2 na.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Dec 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM »
Who would've thought that it's the Alaska-TNT series that's going to be close and physical?

TNT can't seem to figure out how to beat Alaska convincingly. In this series, both teams seem to be a carbon copy of the other. They both play excellent defense and they shoot a lot from the outside. The back court is the deciding factor. Low scoring or high scoring game, there's no clear indication as to which team has the advantage. Both teams have shown they can win whether it's a fast paced or deliberate game.

The question now, though, is how much does Alaska have left in the tank? In their wins, they needed everyone to have a great game. From the starters down to the bench. TNT, on the other hand, has won despite sub-par games from Alapag and Castro.

Alaska needs that Game 5 win more than TNT. You don't want to give this TNT team an opportunity to close out the series after a long rest.

Offline Chain

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #177 on: Dec 30, 2012 at 02:30 PM »
im a TnT fan but Man!Alaska amazes me on how they play! :)

Offline vinci

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 977
« Reply #178 on: Dec 30, 2012 at 07:08 PM »
Minsan lang makapanuod ng game palpak pa pinakita ni abueva. Sayang possession na yun!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Dec 30, 2012 at 07:24 PM »
Minsan lang makapanuod ng game palpak pa pinakita ni abueva. Sayang possession na yun!

Yeah, what a time for NCAA Calvin to show up. Sayang but ganyan talaga. It's going to be hard lalo na against a TNT team but may chance pa. Never say die naman 'tong Alaska eh. Ayaw talaga bumigay. TNT is going to be a tired team going to the Finals if they do win this series. I don't think they ever expected this kind of series.