Author Topic: PBA Season 38  (Read 110298 times)

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PBA Season 38
« Reply #180 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 11:50 AM »
Ginebra finally replaces Tanquincen. I'm not so sure I like the replacement, though. I've never been impressed with Alfrancis Chua.

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/beginning-2013-with-a-bang-ginebra-replaces-tanquingcen-with-chua

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #181 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 01:30 PM »
Ginebra finally replaces Tanquincen. I'm not so sure I like the replacement, though. I've never been impressed with Alfrancis Chua.

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/beginning-2013-with-a-bang-ginebra-replaces-tanquingcen-with-chua

With Chua calling the shots for Ginebra, expect a more run and gun style that will eventually bring out the best from Tenorio, Helterbrand and Caguioa.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Chain

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #182 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 07:40 PM »
lets see if coach Alf can still bring out the best of this team ;)

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #183 on: Jan 02, 2013 at 08:03 AM »
Alfrancis Chua would be a better fit for BGK ...... if only to remove the very outdated substitution patterns (read: play everyone) and limited hi-low plays of Tanquincen & Uichico.

It doesn't mean that Chua will lead BGK to championships ...... right now, he's just a more logical option to the outdated system of the Jacobs boys e.g. Tanquincen, Uichico, Sauler, etc.

I had close ties with the old SLR teams ...... Chua is indeed a players-coach; someone who lets the players freelance on offense and run with abandon.

Another good thing, Chua is a fitness-freak ...... he will run endless drills to get his players in running-mode.

However, Chua is known to play favorites and will pamper even known locker-room cancers.

During the old SLR days, Chua allowed certain star-players (read: lazy Marlou) to beg-off from participating in training ...... even without a valid medical excuse.  ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Jan 02, 2013 at 09:14 PM »
Chua loves fast break drills in practice so expect high scoring games from Ginebra.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline rukawakaide1721

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 08:01 PM »
SHIFTY GUARD, BIG GUY ON THE MOVE ???

There’s a lot of buzz inside the camp of this Underachieving Team.

Expectations were high the team will finally get a place among the elite ballclubs where many believe it should be in the ongoing PBA Philippine Cup, especially when a number of its key players were placed back on active duty after spending time on sick bay.

But disappointment of all disappointments…the team finished the eliminations in the bottom half of the standings and got off to an early Christmas break.

Now comes news from The Mill that at least a couple of manpower changes may be happening sooner than later.

One, this Shifty Guard who can baffle his defender with his acrobatic moves to the basket may find himself playing for another team which is about to hire a new head coach who can typify the fiery nature and image of the ballclub.

It won’t be hard for Shifty Guard to adjust once the deal becomes official since his new head coach has spent the past few seasons on the bench of his present team.

Shifty Guard has been a star and certified scorer from grade school to college. He has a “foreign warrior” as a monicker.

In return, Underachieving Team will get a gutsy veteran known for his tough-nosed defense as well as better than decent offensive game. He can topscore for any team if he hits his stride, and can get on the nerves of opposing scorers.

Gutsy Veteran spent a number of years playing for a team closely associated with Underachieving Team before being shipped to his present club.

Another change may see Big Fil-Am moving from Underachieving Team to Team Newcomer.

Not too long ago, talks were ripe that this Big Fil-Am, a veteran forward, was already set to be transferred, but he did get to finish the conference with Underachieving Team. The move may finally happen this time, and being a big man with an inside-outside game, Big Fil-Am won’t come cheap.

Team Newcomer is said to be ready to part ways with a local-bred rookie big guy who has been named best performer in several amateur commercial leagues as well as a future draft pick.

What draft pick? Venture a guess?

Team Newcomer is hoping Big Fil-Am will henceforth spend more time on the floor that on the Injured/Reserve List.
Happiness is a choice....

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 08:12 PM »
^Joseph Yeo for Roger Yap and Jay Washington for Vic Manuel + picks.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 09:00 PM »
ROS wins it's semis series against SMC ...... despite being on the very short end of so many questionable referees calls (they're against a Danding team after all).

Hope this game makes some of those fantards realize what James Yap is ..... a very volume and very low-percentage shooter.

=========================================================

Hope that ALASKA somehow makes it to the Finals ........ an Abueva match-up against ROS' extra-rice boys would be classic.

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #188 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 09:11 PM »
^ plus 1.. And most of their starters are homegrown talents, players we used to watch in uaap and ncaa.. Nice..
The Pats way...

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #189 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 01:02 AM »
cone lost again to ros. contrapelo talaga ng smc ang ros. may import man or wala hirap talaga sila

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 03:25 PM »
Kudos to Coach Yeng. I've just realize that he has transformed the ROS team to a very unpredictable solid competitive team with unheralded players.
I dont think any other coach could have done better with ROS current line up.

I want to see ROS play the champion team in TNT rather than Alaska which may be quite inexperience.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 09:23 PM »
TNT finally dispatches Alaska after 6 hard-fought games. They were just deeper than Alaska but Alaska had the better coach in this series. The TNT players bailed Norman Black out in this series, particularly Ryan Reyes, Alapag and Castro. He was totally out-coached by Trillo the whole time.

Alaska has to feel good about this. They were one good stop away from a game 7 with the defending champs.

Abueva's probably going to get the BPC award. And he deserves it. He is going to be the PBA's future. This early, he's made Alaska a team to watch. No other rookie has had this much impact on the league since the entry of the Fil-Foreigners led by Danny Seigle.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 07:36 AM »
Alaska's gamble on the young Thrillo seemed to pay off as he got better experience for future wars.
Abueva just spiced up the PBA making Alaska a very exciting team to watch.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline puffalan84

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 10:07 AM »
Sayang,  but this is going to be a nice series.. physical d team vs. High scoring disciplined o.. i like ros.. but i also like watching dilinger, i still think he is one of the most talented player right now.. lipat na lng sya.. :)
The Pats way...

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #194 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 12:09 PM »
Sayang,  but this is going to be a nice series.. physical d team vs. High scoring disciplined o.. i like ros.. but i also like watching dilinger, i still think he is one of the most talented player right now.. lipat na lng sya.. :)

He got more playing time under Black. Kay Reyes limited ang playing time niya at siguradong bangko na come second half and crucial times.

Offline Chain

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #195 on: Jan 06, 2013 at 09:01 AM »
TNT finally dispatches Alaska after 6 hard-fought games. They were just deeper than Alaska but Alaska had the better coach in this series. The TNT players bailed Norman Black out in this series, particularly Ryan Reyes, Alapag and Castro. He was totally out-coached by Trillo the whole time.

Alaska has to feel good about this. They were one good stop away from a game 7 with the defending champs.

Abueva's probably going to get the BPC award. And he deserves it. He is going to be the PBA's future. This early, he's made Alaska a team to watch. No other rookie has had this much impact on the league since the entry of the Fil-Foreigners led by Danny Seigle.

is he still gonna make it to the elusive rookie mvp title? hopefully but im quite skeptical.

his presence in the PBA was very much felt that lots of people came back to watching the games

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Jan 06, 2013 at 04:01 PM »
is he still gonna make it to the elusive rookie mvp title? hopefully but im quite skeptical.

his presence in the PBA was very much felt that lots of people came back to watching the games

I doubt he would win rookie-mvp.. he's got a chance but he won't win it.. I won't even be surprised if he loses the BPC this conference.. he leads in statistical points after the semis among those who played in the semis.. Castro and De Ocampo still have games to play though.. Calvin will get the media votes but I doubt he'll get the players' votes..

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 08:14 AM »
Not likely that Abueva wins the BPC now ...... Castro looks like a safe betting choice. However, when making a case for Abueva:

** Stats - He's right there ..... IIRC stats are averaged numbers and not cumulative - though if it were cumulative, he'd still be there.

** Votes - He's made quite an impact ..... he's sure to get good buzz from the voting media.

He might actually get considerable player votes, even from rival players ...... moreso from Fil-Ams, who value that kind of relentlessness. Just can't help but admire the guy's passion on the court.

** Others - Both TnT and RoS are currently the best models for TEAM play ..... there's not one from both teams who consistently stand-out e.g. shot-hogging star ..... Castro is perhaps the closest one who does stand-out.

Votes & stats might be diluted a bit ...... just might have Abueva eke out a BPC win.  ;D

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 01:33 PM »
Abueva actually leads Castro is statistical points after the semis.. he's got 31 and Castro has 29.6.. Santos still leads at 35.1.. SPs are 40%.. Abueva will definitely get the media votes which is 30%.. whichever way the vote goes, Abueva and Castro both deserve it.. wag lang nila ibigay kay Arwind or Mercado.. or even Ranidel, who's the other candidate left..

Offline frequenzy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 01:36 PM »
i would think castro or chan could possibly win BPC

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 01:41 PM »
i would think castro or chan could possibly win BPC

I'm 100% sure Chan wouldn't win it. Why? Hindi siya kasali sa pinagpipilian. Only the Top 5 in statistical points after the semis are included in the ballot.

Offline frequenzy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 02:07 PM »
I'm 100% sure Chan wouldn't win it. Why? Hindi siya kasali sa pinagpipilian. Only the Top 5 in statistical points after the semis are included in the ballot.
pang 7 pala si chan sa unofficial. leader pa rin sa santos. then i guess it would be castro, if alaska won the series abueva might win the award
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2013 at 02:07 PM by frequenzy »

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Jan 08, 2013 at 12:44 PM »
trade rumors:

Last week, the Philippine Daily Inquirer reported a trade rumor involving Underachieving Team and Team Newcomer with Big Fil-Am and Local-bred Rookie Big Guy the players involved. But it seems like both the Underachieving Team, Team P, and Team Newcomer, Team GP, are not satisfied with it, so they come up with a new plan.

Reports say that a third team, Team G, is joining the proposal, and Team GP is set to get LITTLE ROB from Team G aside from the Big Fil-Am of Team P, the WHITE HOUSE. Team P, meanwhile, is set to get another Team G player, the HIGH-FLYING WARRIOR, apart from the Local-bred Rookie Big Guy of Team GP, the MUSCLE MAN. Team G, of course will not leave the trading block empty-handed as they are set to get Team GP's MANG DANNY. The HIGH-FLYING WARRIOR's name both start with the same vowel.

Team P (Petron) -- Vic Manuel, Elmer Espiritu
Team GP (Global Port) --Labagala, Washington
Team G (Ginebra) -- AJ Mandani, 2013 2nd round draft pick
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline puffalan84

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Jan 09, 2013 at 08:41 PM »
Parang sira ung audio ng pba.. paulet ulet
The Pats way...

Offline munky8

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Jan 09, 2013 at 11:23 PM »
tnt winning game 1...

i think ros respected tnt way too much, no altercations >:D, hard physical defense where ros is known for, got to give the credit to tnts defense and good preparation as well by n.black hehehe just my 2 cents...

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Jan 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM »
A bit of good news for Philippine basketball. The hosting rights for the FIBA Championships this year has been awarded to the Philippines. This is going to be a qualifier for the World Championships next year in Spain. 3 slots are available. It was supposedly going to happen in Lebanon but it's currently unstable there. It will be on August 1-13.

Now, it's time to form the best team. Petron should really release guys like Fajardo, Arwind, Lassiter, Lutz and even Cabagnot. Nakakahiya naman kung hindi ang pinakamagaling ang ihaharap natin sa ating sariling mga kababayan.

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #206 on: Jan 11, 2013 at 04:05 AM »
A bit of good news for Philippine basketball. The hosting rights for the FIBA Championships this year has been awarded to the Philippines. This is going to be a qualifier for the World Championships next year in Spain. 3 slots are available. It was supposedly going to happen in Lebanon but it's currently unstable there. It will be on August 1-13.

Now, it's time to form the best team. Petron should really release guys like Fajardo, Arwind, Lassiter, Lutz and even Cabagnot. Nakakahiya naman kung hindi ang pinakamagaling ang ihaharap natin sa ating sariling mga kababayan.

Will we be allowed to field in two teams kasi tayo ang host?

Offline mikz023

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Jan 11, 2013 at 08:10 AM »

Great news. Hopefully, all PBA teams lend their ace player to the national team. That would be a great boost to our PH team. Since ang usapan na dito is the WC in Spain. And we know that hindi din ppitsugin ang ipapadala ng ibang bansa lalo na ang China. We need a solid and formidable players sa PH team ntin.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #208 on: Jan 11, 2013 at 09:40 AM »
Suggestion lang for a Philippine Line Up...

1. Junmar Fajardo
2. Marc Pingris
3. Jeff Chan
4. Peter Jun Simon
5. LA Tenerio
6. Arwind Santos
7. Marc Caguiao
8. Gary David
9. Gabe Norwood
10. Ranidel De Ocampo
11. JV Casio
12. Jared Dillinger
13. Paul Lee
14. Jimmy Alapag
15. Calvin Abueva

Reserve:
1. Sonny Thoss
2. James Yap
3. Alex Cabagnot

Hopefully lahat nga sana ng PBA Teams mag give way for this very good opportunity especially the SMB Teams.

Offline rafa_palma

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Jan 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM »
We still need some height specially against China.. put in Slaughter or Douthit maybe? (if eligible)