Author Topic: PBA Season 38  (Read 110403 times)

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 368
Re: PBA Season 38
« Reply #270 on: Jan 31, 2013 at 08:31 PM »
GLOBAL PORT has gotten much deeper ....... but it'll be a challenge for Baculi to get chemistry, since Miller, Mercado and David are all ball-centric players.

All three guards don't play off-the-ball well ...... they need that ball for a good chunk of the 24-second shotclock, in order to get going.

If I were Romero, I'd trade Miller now ...... while he still has nice value.

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #271 on: Feb 01, 2013 at 03:52 PM »
Another trade rumor corculating ---

Ginebra To Get Jay Washington and Mandani In GlobalPort’s New Trade Proposal:

GlobalPort Batang Pier owner Mr. Mikee Romero seems to be 100% serious when he said that he wants GlobalPort to be better as soon as possible. A new trade rumor involving GlobalPort has been divulged. This time around, they are allegedly looking to trade for the High Flying Warrior Elmer Espiritu.

The rumored trade offer from GlobalPort looks like this. Ginebra will get Mandani and Washington. Petron will receive Doug Kramer. GlobalPort will acquire Elmer Espiritu and Barako Bull Energy will get Kerby Raymundo.

sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #272 on: Feb 07, 2013 at 05:05 AM »
GLOBAL PORT has gotten much deeper ....... but it'll be a challenge for Baculi to get chemistry, since Miller, Mercado and David are all ball-centric players.

All three guards don't play off-the-ball well ...... they need that ball for a good chunk of the 24-second shotclock, in order to get going.

If I were Romero, I'd trade Miller now ...... while he still has nice value.

I think Miller is decent off the ball. He has a nice catch and shoot ability.  He was able to adjust sa Ginebra I think he'll do fine. Inspired mga yan sa BIG 3 ng NBA so Im sure it will be used to motivate them to work together.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Feb 07, 2013 at 02:58 PM »
I myself consider Chan too big a risk out there ...... he is indeed inconsistent, plus he doesn't do any thing else if his shots aren't falling.

I'd also leave out Gary David ....... same as Chan - when his shots fail him, he doesn't contribute in other aspects of the game.

Still can't see why Cyrus Baguio isn't being considered ........ except for the last game of semis series against TnT, he was the most efficient SG last conference (has always been efficient actually). Besides, Baguio was by far the best performing player during the last non-GILAS Natl Team (Yeng Guiao 2009).

I'd also consider Lutz and Lassiter (if not injured) ....... these guys are way familiar with international play, aside from their obvious talent.

==============================================================

Completely agree that Norwood and Dillinger have similar skillsets, aside from their similar inconsistencies ...... Norwood would probably get the final slot owing to his decent GILAS showing months ago.

Offline rafa_palma

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Feb 07, 2013 at 04:47 PM »
Lets pray for consistency of these players.

Offline jericm

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Feb 08, 2013 at 09:34 AM »
I myself consider Chan too big a risk out there ...... he is indeed inconsistent, plus he doesn't do any thing else if his shots aren't falling.

I'd also leave out Gary David ....... same as Chan - when his shots fail him, he doesn't contribute in other aspects of the game.

Still can't see why Cyrus Baguio isn't being considered ........ except for the last game of semis series against TnT, he was the most efficient SG last conference (has always been efficient actually). Besides, Baguio was by far the best performing player during the last non-GILAS Natl Team (Yeng Guiao 2009).

I'd also consider Lutz and Lassiter (if not injured) ....... these guys are way familiar with international play, aside from their obvious talent.

==============================================================

Completely agree that Norwood and Dillinger have similar skillsets, aside from their similar inconsistencies ...... Norwood would probably get the final slot owing to his decent GILAS showing months ago.

You're right sir. Both Chan and David easily gets frustrated when not shooting well. Not defending anymore and becomes a liability on court. 
Toshiba 47XL700
Pioneer 420DV
SVS SB12NSD
Onkyo TX-SR600
Bose Accoustimass 7
Egreat S7A Pro

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Feb 08, 2013 at 11:09 AM »
perhaps, it's their shooter's streak that drew them in. it's nice to have them in the team. although they should not be made part of the core. good to have, but not indispensable. the team must have a system that would make it easy to pull those two out without affecting their offense. if they miss x number of shots, out they go.

cyrus? yes, i think he should have been in there. he also has a decent outside touch. but if his shots ain't falling, he has the ability to slash. he has a fallback on offense, so to speak.

between norwood and dilinger, i think norwood would be a better choice. but a very thin line separates one from the other, but i think it is norwood's ability to shoot from the outside and also penetrate from the outside with the ball that would set him apart.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Feb 08, 2013 at 10:21 PM »
2nd conference started tonight. Upset wins by Global Port and Barako over Petron and San Mig, respectively. The San Miguel group actually went 0-3 tonight with San Miguel also losing in the ABL.

Global's import got ejected after an elbow to Fajardo. Didn't seem intentional, though. Lutz got injured again, a broken rib early in the game. And nothing new for Petron, they led, they collapsed then they played hero ball with Cabagnot and Santos taking stupid shots at end game. Global is definitely a different team from last conference. Mercado continued his excellent showing from last conference. Together with David and Aguilar, they made a pretty solid combination. Aguilar and their import played well together as well. With Mercado there, expect some highlight reels from those two. Miller seems to have been the odd man out with Mercado's entry into the team. He barely played in the 4th.

In the 2nd game, San Mig played without their import who was in the hospital. Yap was hot early then was "hurt" daw and didn't make that much impact anymore. Interestingly enough, it was San Mig's former PGs that killed them. Urbiztondo and Villanueva were great at running the offense for Barako. And they actually played together for most of the game. Toroman has really brought a sense of order in Barako. Better substitution patterns with excellent balance of young guys and veterans. That was some trust he gave Danny Seigle in the 4th. He barely played him in the 1st half, didn't use him in the 3rd, then he let him finish the 4th. And Seigle responded with a clutch 3 and 2FTs to ice the game.

All in all, a pretty good start to the new conference.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #278 on: Feb 09, 2013 at 08:05 AM »
Who were the players named by Coach CHOT for Gilas 2 17 man pool?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #279 on: Feb 09, 2013 at 08:13 AM »
Who were the players named by Coach CHOT for Gilas 2 17 man pool?

Eto bro according pba.ph

LA Tenorio, Jayson Castro, Jimmy Alapag, Larry Fonacier, Ryan Reyes and Gary David as guards, Gabe Norwood, Jeff Chan and Jared Dillinger as wingmen, Ranidel de Ocampo, Marc Pingris and Japeth Aguilar as power forwards and Kelly Williams, June Mar Fajardo, Sonny Thoss and Greg Slaughter, Marcus Douthit as centers.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2013 at 08:15 AM by Louie_18 »

Offline Chain

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #280 on: Feb 09, 2013 at 10:26 AM »
waah!so malabo sa finals contention ang TnT ko ah

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Feb 09, 2013 at 11:14 AM »
waah!so malabo sa finals contention ang TnT ko ah

Bakit naman? They're still intact. Wala naman nawala. Nadagdag pa nga si Rabeh. They're actually stronger now. Di naman tatanggalin yung mga napili sa national team eh. The 2nd conf ends late May. FIBA-Asia starts August.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #282 on: Feb 09, 2013 at 11:30 AM »
Sana lang nagdagdag pa si Chot ng more reliable outside shooters aside from David and Chan...

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Feb 09, 2013 at 12:50 PM »
Pure-shooters, much like back-to-the-basket bigs, are very rare nowadays ..... Chan & Ritualo are perhaps the closest ones - both are streaky, limited & inconsistent compared to the shooters from decades ago.

No kidding, if Allan Caidic can still run a good 5-8 minutes of ball ...... I'd give him a slot in the GILAS pool. Caidic is that great a shooter. The shooting arm never goes away for older players, it's the legs that goes first.

My father & uncles all played prior to the PBA era ...... when playing pick-up games a few years back, their shooting is still evident ..... though they can't jump or run anymore.  ;D

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Feb 09, 2013 at 09:08 PM »
Chan & Ritualo are perhaps the closest ones - both are streaky, limited & inconsistent compared to the shooters from decades ago.

as far as streak shooters are concerned, you can add macapagal and salvacion to the list. but, like ritualo and chan, they are just that -- streak shooters.

james yap could could have been a better choice.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Feb 09, 2013 at 09:39 PM »
as far as streak shooters are concerned, you can add macapagal and salvacion to the list. but, like ritualo and chan, they are just that -- streak shooters.

james yap could could have been a better choice.

James Yap would have been a very bad choice. The guy's a volume shooter. He'll just disrupt the dribble-drive offense of Gilas.

Alapag and Fonacier will be their best outside shooters. They're both accurate, fairly consistent and not afraid to take the shot. I would have loved Casio there because the guy already has experience, pretty accurate and has a very quick release. He's just too small.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Feb 09, 2013 at 11:23 PM »
James Yap would have been a very bad choice. The guy's a volume shooter. He'll just disrupt the dribble-drive offense of Gilas.

Exactly ...... James Yap has long been the epitome of volume-shooting in the PBA.

He gets his points or stinks out games (has been the case for the past few years now) the same way - he attempts way too many shots at a very low FG%.

Yap has had the luxury of having some of the best offensive rebounding bigs surrounding him from the start e.g. Pingris, Reavis, Maierhoffer, etc.

If one looks closely, it's been Jun Simon who has been the best guard on that team for years now.

Besides, Yap didn't show much during the last non-GILAS Natl Team ...... that was a freelancing Guiao team ...... it's indeed a safe bet that he might not fare well with Reyes' sets.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Feb 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM »
That Alaska-RoS endgame has got to be one of the craziest endings we've seen in the PBA. With 24 secs left, Norwood taps the ball away from Casio. Casio has to scamper back to the backcourt then he finds Abueva for a 25ft. desperation 3 that swishes thru the net to tie the game at 81 with 10 secs left. RoS then sends the ball to their 7-2 import at the post after a timeout who gets blocked by Abueva from behind leading to a loose ball picked up by Alaska's import Dozier who gives it to Baguio for a buzzer-beating layup to win the game.

And AKTV decided not to air that game live. In favor of NCAA volleyball. >:(

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Feb 10, 2013 at 01:25 AM »
That Alaska-RoS endgame has got to be one of the craziest endings we've seen in the PBA. With 24 secs left, Norwood taps the ball away from Casio. Casio has to scamper back to the backcourt then he finds Abueva for a 25ft. desperation 3 that swishes thru the net to tie the game at 81 with 10 secs left. RoS then sends the ball to their 7-2 import at the post after a timeout who gets blocked by Abueva from behind leading to a loose ball picked up by Alaska's import Dozier who gives it to Baguio for a buzzer-beating layup to win the game.

And AKTV decided not to air that game live. In favor of NCAA volleyball. >:(

The NCAA volleyball game was the first game of the championship. That was probably one of the reasons AKTV decided to air it live. They expected it to be an exciting game and it was exciting enough. How were they to know that Alaska-RoS endgame would be one of the craziest endings we've seen in the PBA? And AKTV usually air only the 2nd game live for their Saturday coverage.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Feb 10, 2013 at 02:11 AM »
The NCAA volleyball game was the first game of the championship. That was probably one of the reasons AKTV decided to air it live. They expected it to be an exciting game and it was exciting enough. How were they to know that Alaska-RoS endgame would be one of the craziest endings we've seen in the PBA? And AKTV usually air only the 2nd game live for their Saturday coverage.

They aired the NCAA Volleyball finals not because it was a championship game but because ABS was airing the DLSU-Ateneo Volleyball game at the same time. They were matching up. Over 19,000 people went to watch the DLSU-Ateneo game at the MOA arena. The NCAA game was already being killed in gate attendance, they got buried in the ratings pa. They would have had a better shot at the ratings game had they shown a PBA game no matter how it turned out.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2013 at 02:15 AM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline Chain

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #290 on: Feb 10, 2013 at 01:19 PM »
sayang naman ung ROS-Alaska game at di ko napanood :-[

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Feb 10, 2013 at 02:44 PM »
They aired the NCAA Volleyball finals not because it was a championship game but because ABS was airing the DLSU-Ateneo Volleyball game at the same time. They were matching up. Over 19,000 people went to watch the DLSU-Ateneo game at the MOA arena. The NCAA game was already being killed in gate attendance, they got buried in the ratings pa. They would have had a better shot at the ratings game had they shown a PBA game no matter how it turned out.

haha. oo nga pala. UAAP is covered by ABS. I was hoping to watch the DLSU-Ateneo game but out of habit turned to AKTV thus catching the NCAA game instead.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Feb 10, 2013 at 05:48 PM »
Very curious to see how Chualay's coaching debut with BGK turns out.

It's guaranteed that it'll be fast paced for BGK ....... I'm interested to see the sub patterns. This aspect of the coaching game has long been BGK's downfall c/o Uichico and Tanquincen.

Al Chua is a players coach ....... I won't be surprised if vets like Helterbrand, Hatfield & Raymundo will see a career resurrection of sorts soon.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Feb 10, 2013 at 06:32 PM »
Man, that was some game between Barako and Global Port! Down 10 with 1:51 left, Barako went on a 10-0 run to force overtime. Then they go on a 12-2 run in OT to get the win. This conference has had the best opening games in a while. Down the wire for almost every game so far.

Urbiztondo and Villanueva really thrive in Toroman's system. They're great in pick and rolls and are deadly outside shooters. Danny Seigle is thriving in this system as well. He's been clutch for 2 straight games now. May dunk pa siya kanina over the opposing import to fuel their run.

Nasayang 16 assists ni Mercado. Coaching mistake cost them the game. Naging overconfident si Baculi when they led by 10.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #294 on: Feb 10, 2013 at 07:50 PM »
Eto bro according pba.ph

LA Tenorio, Jayson Castro, Jimmy Alapag, Larry Fonacier, Ryan Reyes and Gary David as guards, Gabe Norwood, Jeff Chan and Jared Dillinger as wingmen, Ranidel de Ocampo, Marc Pingris and Japeth Aguilar as power forwards and Kelly Williams, June Mar Fajardo, Sonny Thoss and Greg Slaughter, Marcus Douthit as centers.

Actually the selection is good made up mostly of TNT players though i prefer Arwin Santos over Greg Slaughter but a team cant be composed of too much superstars since playing time will be sub divided mostly among role players.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Feb 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM »
a bit OT (for now  ::) )...was Mbenga any good when he was with the lakers? or the nba in general?
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM by -sniper- »

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 12:16 AM »
a bit OT (for now  ::) )...was Mbenga any good when he was with the lakers? or the nba in general?

Ordinary is how I would describe him, in NBA standards. He worked hard, though. Doesn't have much offensive game but an able rebounder and solid defender. He won't dominate in any league though, even the PBA.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 06:20 AM »
Mbenga is a stiff ...... limited, but he is imposing and strong.

BGK would be better off picking a more athletic import ....... not necessarily a scorer as they have enough scoring locals. They need someone active off the boards and contesting shots - much like the imports of PETRON, ALASKA, BARAKO, etc.

On a related note ...... if ever Mbenga makes it to BGK (though latest updates reveal otherwise), it's one more solid proof of ILLEGAL/UNETHICAL practices by SMCorp.

ALASKA has long courted Mbenga ...... offering him the PBA-imposed maximum allowable contract for imports - only to be turned down by Mbenga.

What would spur Mbenga to suddenly negotiate with BGK (SMCorp) when he has already rejected a recent formal max contract offer ??

Baka masagot ni Noli "Loverboy" Eala ang tanong na ito.  ;D

Offline Nikkie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #298 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 10:12 AM »
What would spur Mbenga to suddenly negotiate with BGK (SMCorp) when he has already rejected a recent formal max contract offer ??

Maybe he just wants to play for another team? :D

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM »
On a related note ...... if ever Mbenga makes it to BGK (though latest updates reveal otherwise), it's one more solid proof of ILLEGAL/UNETHICAL practices by SMCorp.

parang hindi na nga yata matutuloy. it seems that a certain vernon macklin will be the replacement of herbert hill. not yet official, though. i still prefer chris alexander. hehe