Author Topic: Philippines will not have a Catholic-majority in 40 years.  (Read 6678 times)

Offline Ice Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
As the study was done in 2000 I am unsure if the 40 years is from the year 2012 onwards or the year 2000 onwards. Either way it appears we will be seeing a more robust RH law (with abortion probably), death penalty, divorce, low tolerance for pedophiles, low tolerance for squatters and gay marriage.

Here's to a more plural, prosperous, educated and forward Philippines.

‘Church failing to reach youth’
By Erika Sauler
Philippine Daily Inquirer
2:23 am | Monday, October 1st, 2012

Calling on the laity to increase efforts to revive the faith, Catholic priest Fr. Catalino Arevalo cited a 2000 study that said the Philippines would no longer be a Catholic country in 40 years at the rate the Church was losing members.

Speaking at a symposium on lay spirituality at the University of Sto. Tomas on Friday, Arevalo said the study by a commission of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) that examined youth evangelization found that only six percent of young Filipinos today received “significant religious instruction.”

“They are not turning away, they are simply not being reached,” said Arevalo, who is professor emeritus at the Ateneo de Manila University and author of the book “Pedro Calungsod: Young Visayan Proto-martyr.”

Arevalo urged the laity to reflect on the life of Calungsod, a young lay missionary whose scheduled canonization on Oct. 21 would be “a moment of great pride” and a boost to the declining Catholic Church.

Calungsod, being a patron of the laity, “is symbolic of what the Catholics need to do to revive the faith,” said Arevalo, also remembered as the father-confessor of former President Corazon Aquino.

Calungsod was a Visayan teenager killed during a missionary expedition to the Ladrones Islands, renamed Marianas and now known as Guam.

The symposium noted that Oct. 11 marks the 50th anniversary of the Second Vatican Council, a global convention that led to the renewal of the Church and its role in the modern world, and the 20th anniversary of the “Catechism of the Catholic Church.”

Pope Benedict XVI has declared Oct. 11, 2012, to Nov. 24, 2013, the Year of Faith to promote reflection on the Vatican II documents and the catechism.

Retired Cebu Archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal, who also spoke at the symposium, said these events helped fast-track the sainthood of Calungsod, even ahead of the popular Mother Teresa and Blessed John Paul II, among the more than 400 in line for canonization.

This, he said, was because Calungsod died a martyr. Non-martyrs require miracles for beatification and canonization.

Parañaque Bishop Jesse Eugenio Mercado, chair of the CBCP Episcopal Commission on the Laity, talked about strengthening Catholicism through “new ways of evangelization.”

“We have one same message, but because of the rapid changes in our society, it is important for us to adapt. The way we are going to present Jesus will vary according to the situation we are in,” Mercado told the Inquirer.

“To revive the faith, we should let the youth participate and express in their own ways their belief in Jesus. It can be through social media, rock concerts, hiphop dancing or theater plays, but without betraying the message of Jesus Christ,” he said.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012 at 06:34 PM by Ice Storm »

Offline Prometheus75

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Philippines will not have a Catholic-majority in 40 years.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 03:08 PM »
I, for one, would welcome this development, though t I think 40 years might be too short to see this coming into fruition, it at all.
Going 3D, at last! (And I don't care it it's a fad.)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 06:03 PM »
in 40 years we will have become a Muslim country.....notice that the Muslims are now everywhere..... ;)
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 07:11 PM »
“To revive the faith, we should let the youth participate and express in their own ways their belief in Jesus. It can be through social media, rock concerts, hiphop dancing or theater plays, but without betraying the message of Jesus Christ,” he said.

They will still continue to lose members if they will continue to say masturbation, birth control, pre-marital sex and homosexuality are hell-worthy mortal sins.

Offline hitman531ph

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • All About The Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2013 at 01:41 PM »
I won't be a Muslim.  But I sure won't be Catholic.  I think I'll switch my religion to None, next time I'm asked for that info verbally or on paper.
Konzert Pioneer Inkel Sony Wharfedale NAD

Offline BusyChild

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2013 at 01:50 PM »
My religion is very simple... my religion is kindness.... (charing!)
May you get everything you want, but nothing that you need.

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM »
^hahah! pang-ms universe ang sagot!

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2013 at 11:02 PM »
I won't be a Muslim.  But I sure won't be Catholic.  I think I'll switch my religion to None, next time I'm asked for that info verbally or on paper.

being a NUN is still catholic ;D :D

kurneh :D
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2013 at 05:44 PM »
on a serious note, this is an interesting article on how a pinoy priest respectfully disagreed with pope benedict's decision to bring latin masses back and going against the reforms of vatican II.
"Father  Chupungco took a subtle jab at the Pope for what he called as “reform of the reform” and for turning back the reforms of Vatican II. " http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/90517/fr-anscar-chupungco-filipino-benedictine-who-tangled-with-pope-benedict
Ako rin, na-weird-an sa uto sni pope to go back to a more literal translation of the english mass. example na yung sa apostle's creed: from "...He descended into the dead, on the third day He rose again..." it went back to "He descended into Hell..." Ang explanation daw kasi, nung dati, ang meaning ng Hell is the land of the dead.  Di ba mas confusing yun?
Why use "hell" when you mean "dead" ? I mean, people have been clamoring for change in the Church but not this kind of change, which I felt was a step back.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2013 at 05:53 PM »
People don't know this "new" creed. Naturally, they'll look at the projectors. Problem is there's this line saying to bow the heads while reciting the lines. Hindi nga kabisado e, pano na yun? People end up not bowing at all so they can read and recite the lines. It's just so weird. Nawawala yung solemnity.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2013 at 05:58 PM by bumblebee »

Offline tenderfender

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • DVD Addict
  • "vincere et docere" (to win and to teach)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2013 at 06:12 PM »
It's just so weird. Nawawala yung solemnity.

...through my fault, through my fault, through my grevious fault (with matching pounding on the chest daw dapat)
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions"

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2013 at 06:30 PM »
Kulang na lang matching cry cry for full dramatic effect.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2013 at 06:30 PM by bumblebee »

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2013 at 08:45 PM »
Catholicism Inc.
By BILL KELLER
The New York Times

Behold a global business in distress — incoherently managed, resistant to the modernizing forces of the Internet age, tainted by scandal and corruption. It needs to tweak its marketing, straighten out its finances, up its recruiting game and repair its battered brand.

Yes, the business of the church is saving souls, but it is nevertheless a business: a closely held conglomerate with a work force of more than a million, 1.2 billion more-or-less regular customers, 10 times as many outlets as Starbucks, more real estate than Donald Trump dreams of and lobbying clout to rival that of any secular industry. Now its C.E.O., physically and mentally depleted at age 85, is stepping down, creating an opportunity for a serious relaunch.

Catholicism is mostly a service industry — Canyon Ranch for the spirit, if you will — and its deliverables have stood the test of millenniums: instruction in how to live a good life, sacraments to consecrate major milestones, comfort in times of distress, the cleansing therapy of confession, penance and absolution, a sense of place in the universal order and the promise of a celestial payoff. The fundamental problems are not in the catalog. There is still a robust market for the faith. The problem — evident in the waning confidence of the customers as well as the rising market share of evangelical start-ups and none of the above — is with the management.

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM »
Aside from their money making business, the Catholic Church is now into politics.
Time to assess their tax-exempt status. 

GMA News
Bacolod Diocese categorizes six anti-RH senatorial bets as Team Buhay and seven pro-RH candidates as Team Patay.

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM »
si Jackie Enrile ba PRO-RH? diba Anti-RH sila ng tatay nya?

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2013 at 07:58 PM »
Team Patay, Team Buhay: Unconscionable
BY FR. JOEL TABORA, SJ
POSTED ON 02/25/2013 6:56 AM  | UPDATED 02/25/2013 7:03 AM

The battle for RH sanctity is joined not only through proxies in the Supreme Court; it is now joined in the tough arena of partisan politics. Where the “Catholic Church” once played the role of the honest broker, confining itself officially to “voters education” and securing clean and honest elections, they have now effectively reduced the “Catholic Church” to a political party.

So beware, you politicians who are clearly enemies of God and country! Beware, because in our plural, democratic society you did not take the anti-RH position of the “Catholic Church” to heart! You are enemies of God, you are enemies of the Truth, you are enemies of Divinity! The “Catholic Vote” will reject you, and set you packing to the eternal consequences of your disobedience!

Only, there is no “Catholic Vote.”

http://www.rappler.com/thought-leaders/22511-team-patay,-team-buhay-unconscionable

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM »
Gotta love 'em Jesuits!  8)

Team Patay, Team Buhay: Unconscionable
BY FR. JOEL TABORA, SJ
POSTED ON 02/25/2013 6:56 AM  | UPDATED 02/25/2013 7:03 AM

The battle for RH sanctity is joined not only through proxies in the Supreme Court; it is now joined in the tough arena of partisan politics. Where the “Catholic Church” once played the role of the honest broker, confining itself officially to “voters education” and securing clean and honest elections, they have now effectively reduced the “Catholic Church” to a political party.

So beware, you politicians who are clearly enemies of God and country! Beware, because in our plural, democratic society you did not take the anti-RH position of the “Catholic Church” to heart! You are enemies of God, you are enemies of the Truth, you are enemies of Divinity! The “Catholic Vote” will reject you, and set you packing to the eternal consequences of your disobedience!

Only, there is no “Catholic Vote.”

http://www.rappler.com/thought-leaders/22511-team-patay,-team-buhay-unconscionable

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2013 at 02:15 PM »
my religious feelings were offended. can i sue the bacolod church?

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2013 at 03:35 PM »
Bacolod diocese won't remove 'Team Patay' tarp

by Mitch Lipa, ABS-CBN News Negros
Posted at 02/25/2013 10:36 PM | Updated as of 02/26/2013 1:19 PM

MANILA, Philippines - The Diocese of Bacolod refuses to remove its "Team Buhay versus Team Patay" tarpaulin outside the San Sebastian Cathedral in Bacolod City.

Bishop Vicente Navarra has already received a letter from the Commission on Elections asking him to remove and resize the tarpaulin.

According to the diocese's lawyer, Atty. Mitchell Abella, they have asked the Comelec central office if the tarpaulin is classified as an election material.

Abella said the campaign of the Catholic church against the Reproductive Health (RH) law started long before the election period.

Navarra said they will not remove the tarpaulin until they receive an answer from the Comelec central office.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/02/25/13/bacolod-diocese-wont-remove-team-patay-tarp

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2013 at 10:12 PM »
They can keep it up as long as they start to pay taxes.

Offline hitman531ph

• DVD Addict
  • All About The Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 09:53 AM »
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/370979/team-tatay-lists-5-negros-priests-as-fathers-ay-patay

That's Catholic hypocrisy for you.  Team Tatay.  Anti-RH but anti-family as well.  Catholic clergy fathering children and not owning up to them and yet remaining as priests or bishops.
Konzert Pioneer Inkel Sony Wharfedale NAD

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM »
did our Catholic church ever apologized for the murder of Jose Rizal at Bagumbayan in 1896? http://tl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Rizal
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2013 at 02:39 PM »
SWS SPECIAL REPORT
7 April 2013

9% of Catholics Sometimes Think of Leaving the Church
Mahar Mangahas and Iremae D. Labucay

In reaction to the statement, "Sometimes I think I might leave the Catholic Church" ["Paminsan-minsan iniisip ko na baka umalis na ako sa Simbahang Katoliko"], 9.2% of Catholics, or about one in every eleven, said they strongly or else somewhat agreed, in the SWS national survey of registered voters last February 15-17, 2013.

The question was fielded on SWS's own account, as a public service, in response to the assertions of Fr. Joel Tabora, S.J., in his blog of February 7, 2013, that "The Catholic Church is in trouble - even in Catholic Philippines," and that "People have been leaving the Catholic Church. People are about to leave the Church. It is time, I think, for Mahar Mangahas to take out his social survey tools to help us understand what is happening."

http://www.sws.org.ph/pr20130407.htm

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2013 at 10:58 AM »
PH Catholics going to Mass weekly drops to 37%: SWS

by David Dizon, ABS-CBNnews.com
04/08/2013 6:48 PM

MANILA – Are Filipino Catholics really abandoning the faith and leaving the Catholic Church?

According to the latest Social Weather Stations survey, only 9.2% of Filipino Catholics, or about one in every 11, said they strongly or else somewhat agreed with the statement: “Sometimes I think I might leave the Catholic Church.”

However, SWS also noted that weekly church attendance among Catholic adults in the Philippines has been declining, from 64% in July 1991 to only 37% in February 2013.

The survey also said that, compared to those of other religions, Catholics are less religious, and attend church less frequently.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/focus/04/08/13/ph-catholics-going-mass-weekly-drops-37-sws

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2014 at 09:32 PM »
How Catholicism fell from grace in Ireland

Like most of its continental neighbors, Ireland is undergoing a severe crisis of faith. Religious belief in this island bastion of Roman Catholicism is under siege by the twin forces of secularization and modernization. In addition, the recent exposure of a deeply ingrained culture of sexual abuse and cover-up by the clergy has dealt a staggering blow to the church's prestige.

What makes Ireland an interesting case study is the speed of the decline and the efforts of the Catholic Church -- lay people and clergy--to come to grips with the crisis. The Irish experience points to possible paths for the future of traditional religion in a globalizing society.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0607090342jul09,0,3397459.story

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2614
« Reply #25 on: Sep 06, 2014 at 07:48 AM »
'Rude Priest' during Christening at EDSA Shrine

kung ganyan ang pari mawawalan ka talaga ng gana
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #26 on: Sep 06, 2014 at 08:55 AM »

kung ginawa sakin yan, gulpi sakin pareho yan.  ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #27 on: Sep 08, 2014 at 01:29 AM »
kung ginawa sakin yan, gulpi sakin pareho yan.  ;D

Na identify ba kung sino ung "rude" priest?

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 27, 2014 at 09:15 AM »
in 40 years we will have become a Muslim country.....notice that the Muslims are now everywhere..... ;)
Good for guys but malas for girls. :))

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 27, 2014 at 09:17 AM »
on a serious note, this is an interesting article on how a pinoy priest respectfully disagreed with pope benedict's decision to bring latin masses back and going against the reforms of vatican II.
"Father  Chupungco took a subtle jab at the Pope for what he called as “reform of the reform” and for turning back the reforms of Vatican II. " http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/90517/fr-anscar-chupungco-filipino-benedictine-who-tangled-with-pope-benedict
Ako rin, na-weird-an sa uto sni pope to go back to a more literal translation of the english mass. example na yung sa apostle's creed: from "...He descended into the dead, on the third day He rose again..." it went back to "He descended into Hell..." Ang explanation daw kasi, nung dati, ang meaning ng Hell is the land of the dead.  Di ba mas confusing yun?
Why use "hell" when you mean "dead" ? I mean, people have been clamoring for change in the Church but not this kind of change, which I felt was a step back.
Such a purist, why not say Holy Mass in ancient Aramaic? It's the tongue of Jesus Christ. :)