Author Topic: convert pc speakers and sub, and connect them to a 5.1 receiver  (Read 926 times)

Offline boredtoday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
is this doable? i have a 4 speakers and 1 sub that i use for my pc before and they still sound good. although i have no use for them now and they're gathering dust in my room.

i would like to use them and hook them up to a receiver if possible. i have another center speaker (sony) that i throw into the mix to complete a 5.1 setup. i just want a complete setup even if it sounds really crapty, just so that there's sound coming out for the rear.

problem is the subwoofer cause it plugs in directly into an ac socket and receives its signal through a 3.5mm cable.

i'm not aiming to keep this setup for long and plan to buy better speakers eventually. can anybody help pls?

Online noob

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5407
Re: convert pc speakers and sub, and connect them to a 5.1 receiver
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2012 at 07:07 PM »
you can look for a female 3.5mm with an rca in the other end of the cable or an adapter and plug it to the sub out of the receiver.  It is ok as long as you enjoy what you hear.
I also started with a cassette recorder, tv audio in as center and a computer audio monitor plug into a dvd player audio output. It serves me well as far as audio is concerned but connecting them all is like all my life ika nga. your a great deal better cause you have a receiver and a sub woofer. so go, go, go.

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: convert pc speakers and sub, and connect them to a 5.1 receiver
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2012 at 08:20 PM »
if your receiver has pre out for center, left, right, left surround, right surround and subwoofer/LFE your in luck
you can use 3 sets of these