Author Topic: Laptop as htpc and Audio source analog  (Read 5242 times)

Offline sdliddo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Laptop as htpc and Audio source analog
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 06:48 AM »
I guess medyo malabo yung question ko po.

I am more concerned po ako sa audio decoding really. I understand that the CCCP audio codecs handle the decoding of the audio portion of a movie.

Question ko po is kung DTS yung audio stream ng movie... eh will the a/v receiver properly recognize it? I hear some saying na yung HDMI will automatically pass through to the receiver therefore allowing the receiver to decode the audio stream.

I know I am missing something in how the whole thing works pero bottom line is i want to be sure that kung 5.1 o DTS o HD-DTS yung audio source eh the av receiver will recognize it without me having to buy any extra equipment.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 07:26 AM »
I guess medyo malabo yung question ko po.

I am more concerned po ako sa audio decoding really. I understand that the CCCP audio codecs handle the decoding of the audio portion of a movie.

Question ko po is kung DTS yung audio stream ng movie... eh will the a/v receiver properly recognize it? I hear some saying na yung HDMI will automatically pass through to the receiver therefore allowing the receiver to decode the audio stream.

I know I am missing something in how the whole thing works pero bottom line is i want to be sure that kung 5.1 o DTS o HD-DTS yung audio source eh the av receiver will recognize it without me having to buy any extra equipment.

If you use a player that can pass-thru the audio bitstream, you should be fine. Otherwise, you would have to configure your audio codec to do so. No extra hardware is necessary.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012 at 07:27 AM by Stagea »

Offline Ibosotts

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM »
+ 10 ako i download the  CCCP audio codecs and work like magic on my laptop using MPC.Na decode nya dd at dts sound. Im using  onkyo 809.
Kef
MiragePristage S10,Emotiva BasX PT-100, Behringer NX3000 Ultra
Dayton Spkr.AAudio Fs Pro,

Offline sdliddo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 12:14 AM »
Na-test ko yung Yamaha RX-V467 along with a 5.1 speaker setup na  Mordaunt Short. Di ko natanong maiigi anong model ng speakers pero the whole setup was interesting.

Seems na configure ko lang yung HDMI setup ng laptop to play at 5.1 surround eh it played nicely on the reciever. Pansin ko nga lang na on the reciever, I couldn't even cycle through the surround setups. Naka STRAIGHT lang siya.

From the way it looks. CCCP audio codec or maybe even the HDMI configuration of the laptop was responsible for decoding the audio stream and simply instructed yung reciever to play it as 5.1. Honestly wala naman ako masyadong alam sa home theater setup and given na I usually just buy entry level stuff, I am thinking na pwede na siguro ito.

Anyone have suggestions on a build? I am trying to setup a home theater with around only 50k to play with.

Offline Ibosotts

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #34 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 05:13 AM »
sa reciever hunting ka sa market place ang daming brand  na ka post pwede mo pang iudition.
Kef
MiragePristage S10,Emotiva BasX PT-100, Behringer NX3000 Ultra
Dayton Spkr.AAudio Fs Pro,

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #35 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 08:01 AM »
Na-test ko yung Yamaha RX-V467 along with a 5.1 speaker setup na  Mordaunt Short. Di ko natanong maiigi anong model ng speakers pero the whole setup was interesting.

Seems na configure ko lang yung HDMI setup ng laptop to play at 5.1 surround eh it played nicely on the reciever. Pansin ko nga lang na on the reciever, I couldn't even cycle through the surround setups. Naka STRAIGHT lang siya.

From the way it looks. CCCP audio codec or maybe even the HDMI configuration of the laptop was responsible for decoding the audio stream and simply instructed yung reciever to play it as 5.1. Honestly wala naman ako masyadong alam sa home theater setup and given na I usually just buy entry level stuff, I am thinking na pwede na siguro ito.

Anyone have suggestions on a build? I am trying to setup a home theater with around only 50k to play with.

Puwede na yang set up mo.  Software at configurations lang ang kailangan.

What type of file are you playing? 

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 08:24 AM »
Baka kayang sagutin dito para hindi na ako gagawa ng separate post.

I have a 5.1 multimedia speakers that was used before on a desktop. I want to try using it with my laptop but I don't know what to buy to be able to use all the channels on the multimedi speaker. It has 3 inputs(3.5mm) at the back of the sub for front, center and rear. Kaso yung laptop has only 1 (3.5mm) output. I use this currently for stereo listening in my bedroom (using front input)but looking for ways to maximize the speakers since the center and rear are just kept in storage.
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 08:40 AM »
Baka kayang sagutin dito para hindi na ako gagawa ng separate post.

I have a 5.1 multimedia speakers that was used before on a desktop. I want to try using it with my laptop but I don't know what to buy to be able to use all the channels on the multimedi speaker. It has 3 inputs(3.5mm) at the back of the sub for front, center and rear. Kaso yung laptop has only 1 (3.5mm) output. I use this currently for stereo listening in my bedroom (using front input)but looking for ways to maximize the speakers since the center and rear are just kept in storage.

External sound card po (normally connected via USB). How much are you willing to spend?

Encore ENMAB-8CM ata ang cheapest solution at 990 pesos. Creative and other brands meron din.

Offline gunslinger

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 09:04 AM »
Thanks sir Stagea. No idea on the budget for now. But i guess the soundcard solution will only limit the use to a laptop. What if i want to extend the use to a cd player/dvd player or a portable music player? Are there options that can utilize a 3.5mm input or RCA input with the 3 (3.5mm) output that can be connected to the multimedia speaker? 

TIA.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 09:17 AM »
Thanks sir Stagea. No idea on the budget for now. But i guess the soundcard solution will only limit the use to a laptop. What if i want to extend the use to a cd player/dvd player or a portable music player? Are there options that can utilize a 3.5mm input or RCA input with the 3 (3.5mm) output that can be connected to the multimedia speaker? 

TIA.

Portable music players generally don't output multichannel surround, unless you have an external decoder. A dedicated pre-pro might cost more than a proper AV receiver.

What speakers are these anyway?

Offline gunslinger

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 09:24 AM »
I think the brand is Labtec. Used to be midlevel during its day. Just looking for ways on how to re-use instead of keeping it in storage. Helps with WAF in getting new gears since the old ones are put to use in other areas.

This was connected before with a desktop rig for gaming.

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 09:47 AM »
Mga sir. Question lang po since I plan to buy a new entry level lang na home theater setup. Tanong ko lang po eh kung kakayanin ba ng laptop ko na maging HTPC set? Gamit ko eh installed CCCP codec with the mediaplayer na kasam niya. HDMI gamit ko sa laptop. Asus L43SJ laptop.

http://ph.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K43SJ/

Just need to know kung yung audio ng mga movies ko will pass through and be recognized by the a/v reciever? Sayang naman tong mga 1080p movies ko kung eh lalabas lang eh puro stereo lang.

I am thinking of actually bringing my laptop over to the place I plan to check up on some receivers. Pero I thought to ask muna here.

Try to use splash pro player and via HDMI pass through ng audio mo no codec is needed. ^_^
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM »
I think the brand is Labtec. Used to be midlevel during its day. Just looking for ways on how to re-use instead of keeping it in storage. Helps with WAF in getting new gears since the old ones are put to use in other areas.

This was connected before with a desktop rig for gaming.

Connecting it to a DVD player with multichannel outs isn't ideal because you won't have time alignment. A CD player will only use 2 of its channels (does it have internal bass management or not?).

I suggest using it for its intended purpose (PC speakers).

Offline gunslinger

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 08:06 AM »
You maybe right. I tried connecting it last night to a cheap dvd player that has a multi channel out. Using RCA to 3.5mm adaptors, I was able to connect the multi media speakers. It sounded fine but the panning was awful. will just keep it for stereo listening now.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 09:54 AM »
You maybe right. I tried connecting it last night to a cheap dvd player that has a multi channel out. Using RCA to 3.5mm adaptors, I was able to connect the multi media speakers. It sounded fine but the panning was awful. will just keep it for stereo listening now.

That's the problem. Higher end players often do have time alignment and bass management, but they cost a little more than the usual ones.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2012 at 09:55 AM by Stagea »