Author Topic: AUDIO from sound card/video card  (Read 1091 times)

Offline gienr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AUDIO from sound card/video card
« on: Oct 15, 2012 at 05:23 PM »
PLEASE HELP AND EXPLAIN
     I installed a video card to my computer inorder to get a hdmi out going to the receiver.  As soon as it was installed, I downloaded JRiver for my player which to my ears, it is a good one or even better than others I have used before.  Presently, I am satisfied with what I have.
     Now my question is this:  Does the sound I am getting from my set up, the same SQ I will get from a sound card that only uses optical or coaxial outs?  That is, when listening to audio music only, or maybe even on movies.
     I am asking this thing because I noticed on my setup that my receiver doesnt distinguish the input audio as DTS. or Dolby Digital, it just say Multi channel in.  Unlike in using my media player via hdmi, it recognizes all kinds of audio input.  Is it maybe because my audio output is coming from  a video card?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: AUDIO from sound card/video card
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2012 at 06:13 AM »
Answer to Question #1:
- That depends on how well your AVR rejects jitter via HDMI. SPDIF is a lower jitter interface, and would typically provide better output quality for 2 channel PCM playback.

Answer to Question #2:
- Check your player and your video card for bitstream support.

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM »
PLEASE HELP AND EXPLAIN
     I installed a video card to my computer inorder to get a hdmi out going to the receiver.  As soon as it was installed, I downloaded JRiver for my player which to my ears, it is a good one or even better than others I have used before.  Presently, I am satisfied with what I have.
     Now my question is this:  Does the sound I am getting from my set up, the same SQ I will get from a sound card that only uses optical or coaxial outs?  That is, when listening to audio music only, or maybe even on movies.
     I am asking this thing because I noticed on my setup that my receiver doesnt distinguish the input audio as DTS. or Dolby Digital, it just say Multi channel in.  Unlike in using my media player via hdmi, it recognizes all kinds of audio input.  Is it maybe because my audio output is coming from  a video card?

You need to check the settings of your video card, if it's sending signal in PCM or undecoded DD or DTS. It seems to me that the decoding is done by your PC and then send it to your AVR.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2012 at 06:18 PM »
also take note that not all media playback software support bitstreaming.

there are many ways to go about doing it (provided that your audio output settings are already properly configured.) in my case i went with Splash PRO and never looked back.

http://mirillis.com/en/products/splashpro_comparison.html
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 05:52 PM »
Thanks for all your inputs.  I was able to output to the receiver the audio DTS and dolby digital when I used as my player the Power DVD 10 and on the VLC players.  To date, I still cannot do it on JRivers.  Maybe later. 

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2012 at 08:47 AM »
Mga Sirs and Gurus, further question lang po:
     As you have read in all the above topic, my setup is like this. . . . PC with video card hdmi output to hdmi input on my denon receiver then hdmi to my LCDtv.  I use players like Jrivers, VLC and power dvd 10.  At present, I feel satisfied with the sound output I get in playing music BUT BECAUSE OF MY DAILY READING OF OUR PDVD FORUMS, my attention is now attracted to the enhancements made by utilizing DACs between computer and receiver.  According to the different comments and good reviews on DACs that improves and purifies the stereo analog sound outputs which everybody is saying, I NOW WOULD LIKE TO HAVE YOUR INPUTS to my questions: . . . . 1. Will I have more pronounced improvement and refined sound output if I add a DAC to my setup? . . . .2. I know the DAC doesnt have HDMI input so how could I add a DAC to my setup? . . . .3. What happens when I watch movies that outputs DTS and DD 5.1?  . . . . Please give your comments, Thanks

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM »
If you use external DAC, then the signal to the AVR will be analog, so it will not display DTS/DD etc..

With regards to audio quality, it will depend if the DAC of your avr is already good. So there might not be noticeable difference.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2012 at 05:03 PM »
Thanks Sir Tempter

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM »
there will be a noticeable difference. the thing is - how good is your soundcard ? :).