Author Topic: Filipino Classic Films Being Restored: Himala, Maynila Sa Kuko ng Liwanag, etc.  (Read 43397 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bernal's "Himala" gets restored, more classics to follow
« Reply #60 on: Dec 28, 2012 at 08:20 PM »
Nice inputs Dan on the restored HIMALA dvd release. I read in some forums that they are complaining on the cardboard packaging.

ORO PLATA MATA restored version will have its theatrical run on the 1st quarter of 2013. The restored dvd will debut on midyear.

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Dec 28, 2012 at 09:38 PM »
Ordered my copy from Astroplus Multiply site and surprisingly, it's already sold out.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #62 on: Dec 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM »
Ordered my copy from Astroplus Multiply site and surprisingly, it's already sold out.

The fact that it's sold out is very encouraging, actually. :)

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 12:38 AM »
It sucks that the English subtitles are burnt-in.  I've seen its HD trailer in YouTube and there were no subtitles there.  Maybe it's part of their cost-saving efforts (cardboard cover and all)?  This is sad because even the non-restored DVD release of Oro Plata Mata before had optional English subtitles.

Star Cinema should definitely review their marketing approach.  This DVD's main market is film buffs and enthusiasts who expect a certain level of quality and who will be willing to pay extra for a "Criterion-type" quality release.

I also ordered my copy from Astro Plus Multiply.  I still haven't heard from them regarding delivery.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 12:52 AM »
I have a Januray 11 scheduled delivery... ;D

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #65 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 01:06 AM »
Nice inputs Dan on the restored HIMALA dvd release. I read in some forums that they are complaining on the cardboard packaging.

ORO PLATA MATA restored version will have its theatrical run on the 1st quarter of 2013. The restored dvd will debut on midyear.

Thanks. Can't wait for that as well. I have more time in 2013 so I definitely won't miss this theatrical run this time.

It sucks that the English subtitles are burnt-in.  I've seen its HD trailer in YouTube and there were no subtitles there.  Maybe it's part of their cost-saving efforts (cardboard cover and all)?  This is sad because even the non-restored DVD release of Oro Plata Mata before had optional English subtitles.

Star Cinema should definitely review their marketing approach.  This DVD's main market is film buffs and enthusiasts who expect a certain level of quality and who will be willing to pay extra for a "Criterion-type" quality release.

+1.

Just because they did work on it doesn't mean we shouldn't still air out some criticisms regarding this release. Personally, I appreciate the effort but I know that even better could be done and I can't wait for their follow-up (hopefully).

In the meantime, we should continue buying this for the support. It's still a pretty good release. Just don't forget to air your concerns to anyone that can listen. It's an exciting time to be a Filipino film lover.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 589
« Reply #66 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 06:13 AM »
kasunod na rin kaya yung restoration ng mga classic movies nina Pepsi Paloma at Sarsi Emmanuelle - Virgin People and Boatman ... they were the most popular local films shown during the glory days of the Manila Film Center :)
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2012 at 07:07 AM by raptor »
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #67 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 02:07 PM »
From the restoration documentary, they stated that the best possible source for Himala that they had to work on was an existing print, so I'm assuming the subtitles were burnt into that print. I really think the burnt-in subtitles on this were beyond their control.

The crappy packaging, though, is a different story.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 08:22 PM »
The existing prints used for the restoration had no subtitles. They were mostly theatrical release prints. The restored version of Himala has new English subtitles. The print shown at Venice had both English and Italian subs...

Offline edwn1220

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #69 on: Dec 31, 2012 at 06:37 AM »
There are plenty of copies in Odyssey. I bought one yesterday.
Frans hominum ad perniciem, et integritas ad salutem, vocat.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Dec 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM »
The existing prints used for the restoration had no subtitles.

If that's true, then the hard-coded subtitles make absolutely no sense, since all of ABS-CBN's other titles have On/Off selectable subtitles.

Weird. And pretty stupid on their part.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2012 at 06:25 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Dec 31, 2012 at 01:10 PM »
The existing prints used for the restoration had no subtitles. They were mostly theatrical release prints. The restored version of Himala has new English subtitles. The print shown at Venice had both English and Italian subs...

The restored version on the current DVD still has the old subtitles and didn't use the "new" subtitles you mentioned. I checked and compared with the previous DVD release. They're exactly the same, word for word. Burned in, hardsubbed. No option for any other subs. Someone should be fired.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2012 at 01:11 PM by Dan »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Dec 31, 2012 at 06:30 PM »
I'm still more inclined to believe the subtitles were in the prints used for the restoration, since it really makes no sense. Even the appearance of the subtitles is old, straight out of the 1970s - the font, pure white, no black borders on the letters. I haven't seen subtitles that look like that in decades. And as Dan mentioned, they're identical in text and appearance to the old DVD release.

Are you sure of your info, Jojo?
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2012 at 06:31 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #73 on: Dec 31, 2012 at 06:41 PM »
My guess is those were the only workable prints. Our country is a tropical country and we don't have a government-funded film restoration system so film prints get lost quite easily. Most of the workable prints of old Filipino films we have are those that were imported for foreign film festivals in temperate climates so the celluloid were not degraded easily. This also explains why the only workable print of Genghis Kahn was the one with the James Agee English narration.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Dec 31, 2012 at 09:35 PM »
Are you sure of your info, Jojo?

Did you get to watch the restored version in theaters? I was told that the subs were new and the one screened in Venice had Italian subtitles as well...

I have to see it when my copy arrives.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31, 2012 at 09:40 PM »
My guess is those were the only workable prints. Our country is a tropical country and we don't have a government-funded film restoration system so film prints get lost quite easily. Most of the workable prints of old Filipino films we have are those that were imported for foreign film festivals in temperate climates so the celluloid were not degraded easily.

I saw prints of Himala at Mowelfund and the ABS-CBN Film Archives. There might also be one from the UP Film Center whose entire collection is now housed at the National Film Archive of the Philippines. The master used for the original DVD release and Cinema One showings of Himala was sourced from a beta cam-SP copy, courtesy of CCP, not a print.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2012 at 09:45 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 01:52 AM »
Here's some comparison shots from the previous DVD release and the current restored DVD:

Old DVD release:

Restored, Remastered, DVD release:

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 02:00 AM »
Astroplus in Sm North run out of stocks when I check yesterday. Need to buy for myself because my name is on the credits for the docu. 

Too bad they won't release it on bd so that the full hd will be compensated a lot.

:)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 02:06 AM »
Here's some comparison shots from the previous DVD release and the current restored DVD:

Old DVD release:

Res ipsa loquitur.

Hmm... open matte format pala. I wonder what the intended aspect ratio really was.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2013 at 02:08 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 02:08 AM »
That's really a big improvement in terms of PQ inspite of the crappy packaging.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 02:17 AM »

Old DVD release:

The similarity is obvious. I wonder if the restored print was the same one from the previous DVD release, removed the Japanese subs on the right side of the screen and kept the English subtitles. Although I'm quite sure that they had to find some scenes from other prints since most of them were damaged.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2013 at 09:28 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline ronnivore

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Apprentice
  • I am the walrus.
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 01:02 PM »
Maybe, the version they used for the DVD release is different from the one used in the trailer. As much as I remember, the trailer for the restored version was sans any subtitles.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 03:35 PM »
Res ipsa loquitur.

Hmm... open matte format pala. I wonder what the intended aspect ratio really was.

Yes, you're right. I haven't gone into the extras yet so I don't know if they go into that. Would be really interested about the original native aspect ratio. Bro Keating?
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2013 at 03:35 PM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 03:38 PM »
Astroplus in Sm North run out of stocks when I check yesterday. Need to buy for myself because my name is on the credits for the docu. 

Too bad they won't release it on bd so that the full hd will be compensated a lot.

:)

Bro, text kita kapag may nakita ako. Alam ko Sm Southmall and MOA meron pa ata.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 03:44 PM »
I'm not really sure Dan on the original aspect ratio of HIMALA, but I think most Filipino films during the 80's 4:3 ang framing. ORO PLATA MATA was also shot that way....and even on the restored ORO, the framing was hotly debated when I talked to Direk Peque after the technical preview at Powerplant Mall Cinema.

Thanks....give me heads up when you see one in stores.  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2013 at 07:04 PM by keating »

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #85 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 04:46 PM »
As of this afternoon, stocks are still available at Odyssey Gateway Mall.

Offline dyenita

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 02:57 PM »
Nice, I remember watching these movies (required nung college) sa film center sa peyups.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jan 11, 2013 at 01:47 AM »
Got my copy today.  Packaging aside, this has got to be the best released Pinoy DVD to date.  The video is not perfect but it's a huge improvement over the original release.  It's anamorphic widescreen in a dual-layered DVD.  It's matted widescreen though (i.e., the original DVD seems to have more video information at the top and bottom of the screen).  I guess that this is the original theatrical projection of the film.  What shines though is the wealth of special features.  The newly-produced documentary is great.  The technical restoration feature is also very informative and I'm a sucker for this kind of special feature.  There's also a very good interview with Nora and Ricky Lee. The teasers and promotions are OK but are nice additions.  I am currently listening to the audio commentary. A treasure.

BTW it's definite that the print used for restoration has the burnt-in English subtitles. It's the exact subtitles as the original DVD release.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013 at 02:55 AM by rse »

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
Brocka's "Maynila Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag" to be restored
« Reply #88 on: Jan 11, 2013 at 03:52 AM »
One of my favorite Filipino films will finally be restored.  ;D

Scorsese’s Foundation Set To Restore ‘Maynila Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag’

MANILA, Philippines – In coordination with the Film Development Council of the Philippines, Oscar-winning director Martin Scorsese’s World Cinema Foundation (WCF) is set to venture on their first-ever Filipino film restoration project.

The confirmation by WCF that Lino Brocka’s “Maynila sa mga Kuko Ng Liwanag” will join the ranks of their organization’s restored films came on Tuesday morning via Twitter, right in the heels of another milestone—the enhancement of the Ishmael Bernal classic “Himala” by ABS-CBN Restoration Project in partnership with Central Digital Lab Inc.

The tweet read, “Pleased to announce our next restoration: Lino Brocka’s 'Maynila sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag' w/ Film Development Council of the Philippines!”

Topbilled by Bembol Roco, Hilda Koronel, Lou Salvador, Jr. and Tommy Abuel, “Manila sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag” was released in 1975. Its screenplay was penned by Clodualdo Del Mundo based on the novel “In the Claws of Brightness” by Edgardo M. Reyes.

Touted as a Filipino classic film, it has won six FAMAS awards in 1976 including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography and Best Supporting Actor for Abuel. In 1981, it also bagged a citation from Gawad Urian as one of the Best Films of the Decade.

Continued at:
http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/384403/scorsese-s-foundation-set-to-restore-maynila-sa-mga-kuko-ng-liwanag

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
Re: Brocka's "Maynila Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag" to be restored
« Reply #89 on: Jan 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM »
great news!