Author Topic: Filipino Classic Films Being Restored: Himala, Maynila Sa Kuko ng Liwanag, etc.  (Read 43452 times)

Offline ronnivore

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Apprentice
  • I am the walrus.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Got my copy today. PQ is impressive for a Pinoy release, but packaging is really icky. Nevertheless, one step closer to releasing quality video discs!

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
Hilda on Brocka:

Ever the stickler for realism, Brocka asked the actress to lie down in a real coffin. Was she spooked!

“As I lay there, I tried to hold my breath,” Koronel, who’s now based in the United States, told the Inquirer in an e-mail interview. “It was one of those coffins for the indigent. I was not even sure if it was new, or if it had been used before.”

She recalled that Brocka insisted on shooting in actual locations—as described in the novel by Edgardo M. Reyes. “He preferred real places, not studio sets. He would ask me to walk around Santa Cruz in Manila, and he would steal shots.” The late filmmaker had wanted to remain faithful to the story, she explained.

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/75561/hilda-koronel-remembers-lino-brocka-and-shooting-maynila

I hope they filmed similar interviews and put these out as extra content on the blu-ray/DVD. 

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Doy del Mundo directed a behind the scenes documentary on the making of the film entitled Maynila: Isang Pelikula with interviews from Brocka, Hilda & Bembol. There's also a scene showing Jay Ilagan, the original choice to play Julio...

Offline ronnivore

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Apprentice
  • I am the walrus.
  • Liked:
Saw the teaser for the release of ORO PLATA MATA (HD) on ABS-CBN today. Call me psyched! It looks glorious.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1227
Saw the teaser for the release of ORO PLATA MATA (HD) on ABS-CBN today. Call me psyched! It looks glorious.

Here's the Oro Plata Mata HD release teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCB0W0R9A9g&feature=youtu.be

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
This subtitling error in Himala has always bothered me:

Pilo talking to Elsa:

Tagalog: "Pangako ko iyon kay Narding."
Translation: "I promised your brother."
Mistake: Narding is Chayong's brother, not Elsa's!
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2013 at 05:19 AM by rse »

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I really hope they release HD versions. 

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Direk Peque just recorded last week the commentary for the restored dvd release of his masterpiece ORO PLATA MATA.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Poster for the new restoration:

Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
Poster for the new restoration:
bro straight to blu ray ba ang restoration?  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
^ has there ever been a Filipino blu ray release na? DVD lang yata 'to like all other restorations...which defeats the purpose of HD kasi di pa talaga fully HD yung content but more like enhanced DVD. Tama ba pagkaintindi ko?

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
^ has there ever been a Filipino blu ray release na? DVD lang yata 'to like all other restorations...which defeats the purpose of HD kasi di pa talaga fully HD yung content but more like enhanced DVD. Tama ba pagkaintindi ko?
no idea bro, but im hoping to get these classics on a clear format (kahit dvd basta true 480p). 

I haven't heard of any planned DVD/Bluray release for Maynila.  I am hoping and keeping my fingers crossed.
Pinoy Bluray?  The Road (http://www.amazon.com/The-Road-Blu-ray-TJ-Trinidad/dp/B009AFXUEY/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1367906613&sr=1-7), Graceland (http://www.amazon.com/Graceland-Blu-ray-Digital-Arnold-Reyes/dp/B00C6F605G/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1367906771&sr=1-2-fkmr1)
stereo itong mga ito? 
ninjababez online ..

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
The Road has DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio while Graceland on HD Digital has only a 2-channel stereo track. No idea if the blu-ray release will include 5.1 audio...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
ORO PLATA MATA will have its hd restored preem on November 28.

The restored and remastered DVD of Oro Plata Mata is already available, Php 399:

My thoughts about the new release are here: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,34874.msg1937288.html#msg1937288
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline edwn1220

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
This is great news! Thanks for the heads up.
Frans hominum ad perniciem, et integritas ad salutem, vocat.

Offline deist

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Family,Photography,Music
  • Liked:
I remember first time watching Maynila Sa Kuko Ng Liwanag back in high school in one of the local channels...it was an afternoon coming from school, sa ch 13 yata or 9, just surfing channels tapos nadaanan ko & decided to watch for a few minutes since walang ibang magandang palabas...what happened next, I got so hooked to the dialogues & natural acting, ate my merienda in front of the tv then the ending...ahhhh! i got goose bumps sa emotions ni Bembol Roco (este Rafael Roco at that time) sa last sequence! Hinanap ko sa betamax sa suking rentahan. Meron pa bang ganyang kalidad ng pelikulang pinoy ngayon?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
It was a joy to see the reclusive Mike de Leon attending for the restored preem of MAYNILA SA MGA KUKO NG LIWANAG last Saturday at the U.P. Film Center. Pierre Rissient responsible for keeping the print of Maynila at the British Film Institute was also present for the event. There are rumors that JAGUAR & INSIANG will be on the line-up for the next restoration project of World Cinema Foundation headed by Martin Scorsese together with the FDCP.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2013 at 02:06 PM by keating »

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
wow! how is he?
i wish he still made movies. is he the last of the masters of the 2nd golden age? wala na sina brocka, bernal and o'hara. even eddie romero.
is peque gallaga of the same batch or is he younger?

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Will there be HD releases going forward for Maynila, Oro, et al?

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
Hopefully Maynila gets released on home video (DVD or bluray), since the company (World Cinema Foundation) that restored/remastered it was the same one that did the 1960 Korean film Hanyo (The Housemaid). And the film was released on DVD, albeit on limited quantities, back in 2010.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
There are plans of releasing a twinbill DVD of Maynila and Genghis Khan. Last I heard it's scheduled this September... Release date subject to change.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Got my copy of the restored Oro Plata Mata.  I haven't seen it in full yet but I started watching it with Peque's audio commentary last night.  I haven't finished it yet but the audio commentary itself (so far) is worth the purchase price. It's that good and informative!  I noticed the improvement in image quality although the image appears to be very soft and flat. It seems to me that the restorers used too much digital noise reduction.  There's also something off with the framing. Like Himala it seems like they open-matte it to 1.85:1 with the top and bottom cropped.  There's a scene in particular where it's very noticeable. It's the one with Mary Walter catching the girls by the creek talking with a naked man (Ronnie Lazaro), where she ended up throwing guavas at him. There is a shot where a huge part of her head is cut off from the frame.  I remember in the old DVD that that's not the case.  I have to check out my old DVD later and compare.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2013 at 02:37 PM by rse »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
Anyone privvy to the sales numbers of these releases? I just hope the demand is high enough so that these restorations can continue.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Sad to say there's cropping done on the restoration of OPM. I noticed that also, rse. But in terms of PQ, its a big improvement on the previous dvd release.

Dan, get your copy of OPM now because chances are Star Home Video don't reissue some of their movies again on dvd. It might be OOP soon.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
I'll have my folks back home get me this before it runs out.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216

Dan, get your copy of OPM now because chances are Star Home Video don't reissue some of their movies again on dvd. It might be OOP soon.

Yuf! Got my copy on the second day ;D  Still holding on to the first DVD release since it shows the original uncropped frame.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM by Dan »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Sample screen capture showing cropping in the new DVD.

Unrestored DVD

Restored DVD

As you can see this scene was badly cropped. I can't understand why they cropped Mary Walter's head instead of the boulders below the screen.  Or why crop at all?  What's wrong with 1.33:1 aspect ratio when it was the original framing?
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM by rse »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I think they cropped it both ways (top and bottom)
but youre right ok naman yun copy nun di restored eh, bakit sa restored kailangan putulin.
di kaya sa zoom settings lang :)
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2013 at 11:41 PM by ninjababez® »
ninjababez online ..