Author Topic: Bose Speakers  (Read 197990 times)

Offline listener

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Bass not very noticeable?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 05, 2002 at 08:42 PM »
sgc_wdi

Thats because the "sub" in your acoustimass set up isnt a true "subwoofer" performance wise.  Home Theater DVD movies require a set up with maximum punch starting around 80Hz down to 20Hz or even lower if possible.  The sub in your acoustimass only goes down to around 90Hz then output sharply decreases as the frequency goes lower. You cannot expect the 6.5 inch drivers to put out a respectable sub 80Hz output.

Advise? get a true Home Theater subwoofer to augment your acoustimass set up. Im quite sure that your A/V receiver has a usable sub out so adding an additional subwoofer wont be a problem. there are tons of subwoofers out there that can satisfy your need. Prices of good subwoofers will start from Php7.5T all the way to Php100T+.  Check out the other threads about subwoofers. Im sure you will get an idea or two of what you will do next.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 05, 2002 at 08:57 PM »
thanks listener, so I guess there's no other solution than to change my subwoofer then... too bad...  :(

Offline listener

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 05, 2002 at 10:35 PM »
sgc_wdi

yup. adding a true subwoofer would definitely change the low end respose.  good luck

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 06, 2002 at 01:23 AM »
not CHANGE your Subwoofer. ADD another one is what they're saying. Most a/v receiver's got 2 coax outs for LFEs.... (aka subwoofer plugs)..

Offline listener

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 06, 2002 at 09:32 AM »
sgc_wdi

Greatbop is correct. ADD not CHANGE. You will still need to use the bass module in your acoustimass set up aside from augmenting it with a subwoofer. The bass module pumps out frequencies to around 150Hz in order to mesh well with the sattelites. If you plan to ditch the bass module and use the subwoofer only with the sattelites then you will have a deep sonic hole between the frequencies 90Hz and 200Hz.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 06, 2002 at 08:27 PM »
ic, thanks guys, that clears things out... so what's a recommended subwoofer that's not too expensive but a good performer? Something better than my existing Bose sub...

Offline listener

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 06, 2002 at 11:35 PM »
sgc_wdi

check out the thread "low budget subwoofers". There you will sure find what you are lookin for.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:Bose Speakers
« Reply #37 on: Oct 07, 2002 at 12:38 AM »
well if you could afford to pay for that bose system... go check out the over 10K category..

velodyne vht 1012 (10") for 23k at the home theater. check around for a better price. especially if you got a room bigger than 8 x 6 feet.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 07, 2002 at 10:49 AM »
thanks, will check those threads then...

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #39 on: Oct 07, 2002 at 04:41 PM »
I agree with the advice.

In my case, I am using the AC3 as my rear.

I have a separate subwoofer... at one time 3 of them.. but now just down to 2 separate of the AC3's bass unit.

Hmm.... anyone interested in an VCS-10 center speaker? p;-)

-jackryan 8)

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 10, 2002 at 09:59 AM »
I finally got the subwoofer to work properly, all the time my setting was incorrect, which is why the bass was a little weak... anyway, I found out that for Bose Acoustimass, bass settings should be set to "none" or "main", not on "subwoofer"....  :)

Offline betong77

• Apprentice
  • Simple lang!!!
  • Liked:
BOSE accoustimass am10
« Reply #41 on: Oct 10, 2002 at 06:53 PM »
just wanted some inputs regarding bose am10 series3 .If it's good for home theater and planning to buy a receiver my budyet from 20k to 25k ....

can anybody give me any input or feedback regarding this brand..

thank's
betong77
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2002 at 07:02 PM by betong77 »
Pioneer VSX-D859TX
Pioneer DV-533K
LG DV-522
Wharfedale Diamonds 8.4,8.1 and Diamond 8 Center

Offline Aylwin

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 10, 2002 at 07:46 PM »
When you say bass settings should be set to "none" or "main" do you mean on the reveiver end?  If yes, then I'm a bit confused.  To my understanding, you would actually enable the subwoofer on the receiver side to be able to make use of the LFE preout.  Your Acoustimass module is connected to the receiver's LFE preout, right?

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re:BOSE accoustimass am10
« Reply #43 on: Oct 10, 2002 at 09:21 PM »
just wanted some inputs regarding bose am10 series3 .If it's good for home theater and planning to buy a receiver my budyet from 20k to 25k ....

thank's
betong77

betong,

I think there are better speakers out there, I'm not really sure. I just had my Bose Acoustimass 10 series II for years now, my father bought it a few years back and I sticked with it, although I'm quite satisfied with the quality of sound it produces...

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 10, 2002 at 09:34 PM »
When you say bass settings should be set to "none" or "main" do you mean on the reveiver end?  If yes, then I'm a bit confused.  To my understanding, you would actually enable the subwoofer on the receiver side to be able to make use of the LFE preout.  Your Acoustimass module is connected to the receiver's LFE preout, right?

Aylwin, I'm quite confused now too... I just tried running Avia, and found out that whatever the setting is (main, subwoofer, both), it's basically the same...

I am currently using "both" right now, although the manual suggested that for subs, you have to choose "none"... I don't really know why, but I think it has to do with the Bose Acoustimass 10 series II having no connection for the bass to the pre-out of receivers...

basically all speakers (surround LR, Front LR, center) are connected to the subwoofer, and the sub has another set of wires for these speakers to connect to the AV receiver, so there's no connection for the subwoofer itself...

in any case, I tried changing the base setting on the Pioneer DV-S733A player to "none" and "on" and the bass is still the same...

so I don't really know if my settings are correct now, but so far the sounds produced while testing with Avia sounds appropriate...

Offline betong77

• Apprentice
  • Simple lang!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 10, 2002 at 11:27 PM »

thank's
betong77

betong,

I think there are better speakers out there, I'm not really sure. I just had my Bose Acoustimass 10 series II for years now, my father bought it a few years back and I sticked with it, although I'm quite satisfied with the quality of sound it produces...

thanks bro for the input hope somebody cud give me better brands of home theater speaker that is affordable !!!
Pioneer VSX-D859TX
Pioneer DV-533K
LG DV-522
Wharfedale Diamonds 8.4,8.1 and Diamond 8 Center

Offline Aylwin

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 12:08 AM »
sgc,

Yes, all the satellite speakers are connected to the Acoustimass module.  Then, as you mentioned, there's the set of wires going to the reveiver.  There should be wires for the front, center and surround speaker terminals.  Also, there should be an extra wire/cable with an RCA connector at the end with a cover on it.  You need to remove the cover and connect it to the subwoofer output of your receiver.

If this extra wire is missing then that's very strange since the user manual for the Acoustimass 10 Series II that I downloaded say that it does exist.

By the way, I think the difference between main subwoofer and both are:
  main - no subwoofer
  subwoofer - low frequencies (typically starting from 120Hz or 80Hz and downwards) are cut off from the main speakers and sent out the subwoofer or LFE connector at the back of the receiver.
  both - low frequencies are sent to both the main speakers and the subwoofer output.

This is why when you set it to subwoofer and there is no connection to the subwoofer connector you won't hear much bass.

Also, if you're currently using a digital connection between the DVD player and receiver then you don't have to worry about the speaker settings on the DVD player.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 09:53 AM »
aylwin, thanks...

I have checked and removed the cover, there's no extra RCA cable for the subwoofer, I think you may have downloaded the manual for the Acoustimass 10 Series III instead of II.

that's why I'm quite confused on what to use on the subwoofer settings...

main - I am again using main right now, I put in a demo disc that's like Avia, and nothing came out on bass when I set it to "both" or "subwoofer"... bass came out only on this setting

both and subwoofer - this setting basically worked with Avia, but sometimes no bass comes out on other discs, like the other disc I tried...

the thing is, when I set my subs on main, the bass is still reproduced from the subwoofer... very little from the mains... I guess the Acoustimass series is a little bit weird :) and it probably has it's own way of processing and distributing the bass to the subwoofer via the "main" setting...

oh and about my player, yes I use digital connection, so the settings on my player is basically useless huh... anyway, I'll try your tip on the DTS one, with that I need to set my player still right?

Offline Aylwin

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 05:02 PM »
sgc,
You're right.  The manual was for the Series III.  In which case, yes, your receiver needs to be set to "main".  The Acoustimass module will then be responsible for bass management.  In other words, it will "extract" the bass from the incoming speaker signals.

As for the DTS thing, yes, you need to setup your DVD player.  And also specify no subwoofer.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 11, 2002 at 08:52 PM »
thanks, I checked my Yamaha AV receiver, I don't think it has analog input for 5.1 channel, too bad, I guess that means I won't experience DTS till I buy a new receiver...

Offline Sen.Almondski

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 13, 2002 at 06:07 PM »

thanks bro for the input hope somebody cud give me better brands of home theater speaker that is affordable !!!

Hi betong77,

If you could find time to dig the HT forum/audio, you'll find a lot of helpful tips and discussions about good speakers that youre looking for. Here are the links for some HT speaker topics:

Mission speakers

B&W 600  Speakers

B&W 300 Series  Speakers

:) LtGen Almondski

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 04, 2002 at 01:30 PM »
Is there a way for me to change the wires of my Bose Acoustimass 10 satellites into something that I can connect to the "analog 5.1 output" of my DVD player, which has a built in DD/DTS decoder?

My receiver doesn't have DTS decoder, but my DVD player has, so was wondering how I can connect my Bose Acoustimass to it, since the wires are the RED/BLACK split wires that you connect to the receiver. Thanks.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 04, 2002 at 01:57 PM »
I'm sorry man... Bose systems are not at all upgradeable. You're stuck with those now.

the speaker wires are attached to the jewel speakers, themselves, am I right? and they get their amplification off the acoustimas module?

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 05, 2002 at 12:41 PM »
I'm sorry man... Bose systems are not at all upgradeable. You're stuck with those now.

the speaker wires are attached to the jewel speakers, themselves, am I right? and they get their amplification off the acoustimas module?

the speaker wires is attached to the satellite speakers, but you can remove them actually. The wires are those red/black split type wires with the copper wire showing on tip, then you basically insert the tips on their respective slots on the satellites.

The same goes to the other side, I just insert the wires on the red/black slot on my receiver... any chance that I can make this sort of like an RCA type connector?

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 05, 2002 at 01:08 PM »

the speaker wires is attached to the satellite speakers, but you can remove them actually. The wires are those red/black split type wires with the copper wire showing on tip, then you basically insert the tips on their respective slots on the satellites.

The same goes to the other side, I just insert the wires on the red/black slot on my receiver... any chance that I can make this sort of like an RCA type connector?

i think you can you just need to determine the polarity of the rca outputs - but wont you need amplification first? the fixed signal going out of the dvd player might not be enough to drive your speakers...
money is best spent

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 05, 2002 at 02:57 PM »
my amp doesnt have 5.1 analog input, so I was thinking of connecting the speakers directly to the player, is this possible?

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 05, 2002 at 04:14 PM »
nope, well it is possible to connect your speakers straight to your  dvdplayer, but "who" will amplify the sound? so the answer is no, it wont work

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 06, 2002 at 12:19 PM »
I see, thanks. So I guess there's no other way to get DTS that to buy a new amp.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 06, 2002 at 12:37 PM »
umm you can just buy a new receiver, i think. and connect your dvd player to the receiver thru the optical inputs. and have the receiver send the decoded signal to the acoustimas module.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 10:43 AM »
oh yes, I was referring to buying a new receiver... sorry my mistake :)