Author Topic: Bose Speakers  (Read 197984 times)

Offline dibidibidi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • dogears here :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re:Bose Speakers
« Reply #60 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 05:15 PM »
I still have a pair of ts-5 table top stands for the AM5ii... I wonder if any of you wants to buy it ::) Asking for P2000 negotiable

Offline phantom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Be a Leader, Be a Friend, Be of Service
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 10:34 PM »
I still have a pair of ts-5 table top stands for the AM5ii... I wonder if any of you wants to buy it ::) Asking for P2000 negotiable

is the ts-5 compatible with the AM5 series 3 cube sats? ???

tnx,
phantom 8)

Offline dibidibidi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Nov 08, 2002 at 08:48 AM »
 ::) Geez, I really am not sure. I'll check with their store if I get the chance this weekend

Offline dr_dohh

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • you're in deep dohh now...
  • Liked:
Lifestyle speakers by bose
« Reply #63 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 10:36 AM »
Tulong naman o! We have an old lifestyle 10 speaker system from bose, (may red outline pa around the jewel cubes) and it comes with an acoustimass module. We used a pretty old yamaha reciever with it. Problem is, I feel that the Lows aren't loud and powerful enough. nado-dominate na ng highs. Naka fiber optic cable na ko sa dvd and lahat. Lahat na ginawa ko para lang mag thump yung bass, like highest LFE, Highest sub volume, and inalis ko pa yung tone bypass.

A couple of days ago, I checked the cables connected to the reciever from  the speakers. It turns out that Walang out sa subwoofer yung speakers, but lahat ng jewel cube speakers kinabit muna sa acoustimass module, (which also doubles as the system's subwoofer) then to the reciever. so the speakers are hooked up to the acoustimass module , instead of it being directly connected to the reciever.

My question is, should I rewire the speakers so that it's directly connected to the reciever or should I see if I could add another connection to the acoustimass module so that it could produce better sounding lows? I think that the subs could definitely produce a better sound, since they advertised the speakers to be compatible with recievers from 10 to 200 watts. Mine's only at around a hundred or something. Obviously, I'm no expert at speaker systems, but i need at least an objective. Thanks!

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re:Lifestyle speakers by bose
« Reply #64 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 10:46 AM »
why don't you just consider buying an active (powered) subwoofer... and connect it to your yamaha receiver...

your bose wirings seem to be okay... don't change it unless you risk damaging your speakers or worst, your receiver...

Offline dr_dohh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 11:27 AM »
so i should get another sub to go along with the acoustimass module?

Iniisip ko rin kasi baka yung reciever yung hindi magandang performance.

For example, I could barely feel the vibration when buildings exploded in Independence day (r1)

Hindi maganda yung boom sa tapak ng t-rex sa Jurassic Park

And so many other things I could mention.

Nakakainis lang, or baka kasi na-condition na ako na maganda palagi yung napapakinggan.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #66 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 11:33 AM »
yup, i think so.... better check subs being sold in the marketplace area...

btw, what is your yamaha receiver's model?

Offline dr_dohh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 12:04 PM »
don't know the exact model number, I'm still in the office. But it's pretty old, since we had that since 1998.

I can tell you some specs though: it's dts and dolby 5.1, it's around 100w, and it has around 5 inputs for video. That's all I can tell you for now.

Thanks for the advice

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 01:23 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Baka hindi masyadong makaya nung receiver mo speakers mo.  Kasi 100 watts is quite small I think.  Yung HT in a box ko has a capacity to produce 180 watts.  Medyo nahihinaan na ko dun sa lagay na yun.  so 100 watts is probably small.  Just my thoughts.

Hope you don't mind my comments.  

Good luck on your HT!  

thanks  ;)

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 03:04 PM »
Pare,  
Pls. check your receiver settings. Are you sure you have not set your front speakers to "small" ? That usually is one reason why not much bass is going out (particularly that from your receiver, the speaker cable goes to the sub first, then to the satellites). Once the front speakers are set to "Small", minimal bass is given out, such that not even a subwoofer at the end of the line can improve your bass response.

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2003 at 03:05 PM by audio_tyro »

Offline Geren

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 03:05 PM »
I have almost the same setup, mas mababa nga lang ang specs ko. Acoustimass 5, Yamaha pro-logic Bookshelf.

At first i thought okay na ang sub ng Bose Module,  but then i got hold of a dedicated subwoofer and connected it to my wimpy receiver with a sub-out and
   :) wow iba pa rin ang dating nang may sub.
You are infected by SARS!
Denial is a symptom of addiction.
Resistance is futile!!!

Offline dr_dohh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 06:59 PM »
Ok, my reciever is a Yamaha rx-v793 with a dsp. So if I put a sub to my set up, it'll boost its performance? Or is there little improvement lang?

Large na yung setting ng speakers ko sa front, and back. The SUB out uses a simple jack.

Wait, I'm not sure if my reciever is 100w. I find the whole thing loud enough, pero parang naiiwan yung bass in terms of power.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #72 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 07:04 PM »
Bro use an active sub...sinasabi ko sa iyo..mag iimprove performance nyan...ako nga bitin ako sa isang sub thats why im useing 2 active subs..boom boom boom
Walang Setup

Offline phantom

• Collector
  • Be a Leader, Be a Friend, Be of Service
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 07:37 PM »
dr_dohh,

have u tried turning up the "bass extension"? this will accentuate the bass. :)

just my half cent
phantom 8)

Offline dr_dohh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 07:48 PM »
Just found out that mine has 5 x 80w. That good or too weak? ANother thing - parang sabog yung bass, hindi concentrated pag walang tone bypass. maybe its the settings right? Sa music naman yung hindi maganda, but sa DVD, it's still ok, though kulang sa thump sa bass. sabog or something.

Ok, I'll consider a sub, thanks everyone!

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 14, 2003 at 08:13 AM »
Just in case you want to know the best musical sub you can get around, its the REL Strata 3 subwoofer. A keeper in terms of performance and durability. It may even outlive its owner! Talk about durability. Mine is a keeper, an heirloom to be handed over to my kids (if one of them do become an audiophile someday). Most suave bass in the business, soothes your soul ! And to think that Filipinos are attuned to music. It's in our blood. So why suffer from a bad-sounding subwoofer? Life is so short. Hard-working people deserve the best!

Offline dr_dohh

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re:Bass not very noticeable?
« Reply #76 on: Jan 14, 2003 at 10:25 AM »
Hi, can anyone help me figure out why my bass is not very noticeable when watching anything, even DVD movies? I'm using Bose Acoustimass 10 series II, and my AV receiver is Yamaha.

Anyway, on most scenes when you expect big thumps on bass, it seems like it's not very noticeable... I have my subwoofer placed near a wall to increase the bass, but I don't think it's enough. Any tips on this?

Great, ngayon ko lang nabasa. We have the same setup, except my acoustimass is series I. Ok lang I guess, just have to live with it! Although BOSE speakers sure look nice in a room, low profile.

Offline marckd1

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 14, 2003 at 12:58 PM »
Ok, my reciever is a Yamaha rx-v793 with a dsp. So if I put a sub to my set up, it'll boost its performance? Or is there little improvement lang?

Large na yung setting ng speakers ko sa front, and back. The SUB out uses a simple jack.

Wait, I'm not sure if my reciever is 100w. I find the whole thing loud enough, pero parang naiiwan yung bass in terms of power.

Bro, dapat small lang yung settings mo for Your front and back speakers not LARGE.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #78 on: Jan 14, 2003 at 01:22 PM »
IMHO, if these bass modules don't have separate amplifiers to power them, you wouldn't really get as much bass as a 10 or 12 incher active sub.

If you can see in Bose showrooms, they show what is inside the bass module and if you notice there are only 2 5 inch sub drivers inside.  This would help in the cube speakers to add a little bass in them but if you will use it in theater, guess this would really fall short.  

A remedy to this is either:

1. get a bigger and more powerful active sub at least having a 10 inch driver,

2. Place your sytem in a smaller room with complete acoustic boards just like in Bose showrooms,

3. Have bass shakers installed in your sitting couch or chair to accentuate those vibrations from LFEs in movies.

Just my half cent ;)  

Offline dr_dohh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 14, 2003 at 03:08 PM »

Bro, dapat small lang yung settings mo for Your front and back speakers not LARGE.

Sabi ni audio tyro dapat daw LARGE not small. I tried both setups, to be honest, there isn't much of a difference.

NIRVBLAKR, I don't think I can set it up in another room. How much do those bass shakers cost anyway? and should I connect it to the sub output sa receiver?

Naka bass extension na ako.

My first option is to probably get a subwoofer. I use the room to listen to music as well, so mas sulit.

BTW, Hindi ko magamit yung tuner function nito! I need that antenna thing, but hindi ko makabit dati e, I don't know why.

I just talked to another guy with the same setup, except that he has a better YAMAHA receiver. Sabi nga nya na gumanda ang performance by adding a sub. Question is: Anong sub yung puwede!

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 14, 2003 at 04:23 PM »
Yes LARGE if your bass module is ultimately connected to the Front speaker outputs. In a sub-satellite combo,  you connect both the sub and front speakers to the Front speaker outputs of your receiver. Only the sub crossover will divide where the frequencies are supposed to go (the lows are for the sub, and mid-his are for the fronts). If you won't put it in LARGE, then both your sub and your front won't have that much bass. Makes sense. But I wonder why there wasn't that much difference. Maybe because you used Line Level connection (using the subwoofer out to feed your Bose bass module. Maybe you should opt for speaker level (sub-satellite combo I'm talking above).

Kung ayaw pa rin, then maybe indeed you need a dedicated active subwoofer. Sorry, honestly I dislike Bose; hence I don't have that indepth knowledge on its connectivity. It's a fake subwoofer kasi eh. Bass module talaga, at hindi nga naman subwoofer. There goes the difference.

May we know how much is your budget if you'd ever add a true subwoofer?

Offline caycski

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 14, 2003 at 04:33 PM »
dr_dohh,

an entry level of active sub will cost you around 6,500 to 7,500 (Dynaquest). if you have a bigger budget, go for Ganz Klar (around 8,000)...more budget, go for the entry level of velodyne (around 24,000+), meron ding velodyne na ang tag price is around 50T+.

there you go...one thing i can say is it's worth it to have an active sub for your HT. Malaki ang igaganda ng sound ng system mo. Goodluck!

Offline D75C

• Collector
  • Sounds good but it makes my coffee bitter.
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jan 14, 2003 at 04:38 PM »
I agree, the Bose Bass Module is not a true subwoofer. I admit that they are cute expensive looking cubes but they're just that, cute and expensive.
You wonder why it still not good enough after spending P1M.

Offline dr_dohh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jan 14, 2003 at 07:41 PM »
I guess they never meant the acoustimass module to be a sub anyway. The whole thing's just a low profile loudspeaker, parang pang mini-compo. But, I don't mind, really, sana lang na-discover ko yun years ago!

I'll keep those brands in mind, thanks! Budget? Wala namang budget pa, I'm just out to check out the available ones on the market.

Offline dibidibidi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jan 15, 2003 at 11:02 AM »
FOR SALE: TS-5 Bose Acoustimass AM5 series II table top speaker stands. P1800 like new with box  8)

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jan 15, 2003 at 12:57 PM »
dr_dohh,

I had the same problem before with my acoustimass, the solution was to use Avia Disc. Using Avia's subwoofer test, I was able to choose the right settings for my acoustimass 10's subwoofer. I think it came out LARGE on fronts, SMALL on rear, and BOTH on subwoofer, can't remember correctly, but now the sub is pretty much working out.

Although of course, as they say, it's not a true sub, I found it to be performing ok for now.

Offline dr_dohh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 15, 2003 at 01:29 PM »
sgc_wdi,

Sakin kasi sabog if its too loud, overpowered by the volume of the high range sounds. Ganun rin yung pinaka ok na setup para sa akin, but I tried tweaking things a bit to spice things up.

Kulang pa rin e! Hindi pantay or something.

I'm assuming pareho tayo totally ng setup. Did you get it in BOSE? Sakin kasi sa AMBASSADOR SHANG i think.

dibidibidi,

Just bought some floor stands, wala kasing table don e. Although I do know that they're compatible with all of the acoustimass series jewel cubes.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jan 16, 2003 at 12:52 PM »
dr dohh,

matagal ko na nabili yung bose, actually dad ko yung bumili... but in any case, I tried setting it up manually before, pinapakinggan ko lang and changing settings with my receiver, and I thought yun na talaga yung best settings, until nakakuha ako ng Avia na disc.

I think what Avia does is not just run the subwoofer and you tweak the settings, I don't know exactly how to explain it, but parang na iisolate niya yung subwoofer from the mains, so pag nakuha mo yung right settings using Avia, that would be the best setting for your subwoofer and speakers...

When I played some movies, yung sub ko di gumagana or sobrang hina on some scenes, after running Avia, ok na. Although I agree with you, medyo boomy talaga yung subwoofer ng Bose, recommended pa rin kumuha ng isa pang sub, which is what I plan to do.

Ano bang sub balak mong bilhin? and how much kuha mo sa stands mo? 5t for a pair pa rin ba?

Offline dr_dohh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jan 16, 2003 at 01:23 PM »
yep 5t a pair pa rin! Mahal, though, kailangan na talaga e!

Saan nakukuha yung AVIA disc na yan? Mukhang useful talaga e. Clarity habol ko, pero kung walang bass or masyadong mahina, I find that it makes everything else seem noisy.

I still don't know kung anong bass yung kukunin ko. I've looked around different threads, iba-iba yung personal recommendation ng tao. A lot of them would go for velodyne VLFs, Audio_tyro is for REL Stratas (Ikaw ba yung gumawa ng review sa website nila?), and yung iba naman DQ 120, DQ12, or Ganz Klar. People I know  recommend cheaper Aiwa or Bittone subs naman.

Don't even know which specs to look for, except that it has to be compatible with my receiver and not too boomy, tama lang para sa ht, precise enough for music.

Offline dibidibidi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jan 16, 2003 at 02:26 PM »
I used to own the AM5ii. As good as it is for starter speakers, it is not audiophile quality! I can say that I was fooled into buying my unit as I was not well informed that time yet... or should I say - I have not listened to other speakers. As for the 'sub' and the AVIA... the disc is actually just giving you the low freq sound when it is calibrating your sub so you can't actually hear it from your mains [with the limited low freq capability] - hence 'isolating' the sound. In my own experience, the only musical I've heard so far is REL [audiotyro is smiling now]. You really have to listen to it and decide for yourself - that goes to whichever sub you have in mind.