Author Topic: Quality of recent DVD releases :P  (Read 4731 times)

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Quality of recent DVD releases :P
« on: Nov 01, 2012 at 09:43 PM »
I just recently purchased the Prometheus 4-Disc BD package which includes the DVD version.
I created this post to rant about how studios are no longer optimizing their DVD releases.

Prometheus looks phenomenal on BD so when I fired up the DVD version I was disappointed at how bad it looked.
The picture is riddled with compression artifacts and it was generally blurry. I also notice slight banding and macroblocking.

DVD's definitely isn't HD but I do not remember DVD's looking this bad.
So just for comparison, I played my Alien DVD from the Quadrilogy set.

Oh wow! The Alien DVD holds up really really well. The transfer is sparkling (of course, not HD but still great!)

They're obviously doing this to force consumers to buy BD's :(
This all started with The Dark Knight DVD release.

Now, I know most serious videophiles no longer buy DVD's but this is definitely a blow to those who are still into it.

I still buy some DVD's from time to time because of it's affordability and acceptable PQ.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Quality of recent DVD releases :P
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2014 at 07:48 PM »
Nowadays, when I go to Astrovision, I just feel sad. Most of the DVDs being released have really poor packaging and very little special features. The 2-disc or special edition versions are priced really high.

The branch in SM Aura has maybe 2 shelves selling DVDs, the rest are for audio CDs. And bluetooth speakers, headsets and other gadgets.

The DVD market must really be down :( This is a sad development for folks like me who have never really taken to the hard-disk based players and downloads. Feels like a bygone era.