Author Topic: 2.0 Audio set up using a tube amp  (Read 5148 times)

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
2.0 Audio set up using a tube amp
« on: Nov 03, 2012 at 01:15 AM »
I'm trying to set up a 2.1 audio rig in my living room and would like to ask some suggestions from anyone/everyone regarding tube amps ( I have little to no experience with it...please note). 

I plan to use Klipsch RF 52's with an RW12 + a tube amp + NAD 515 cd player.  I've listened to a very similar set up at Watts hifi in MCS and fell in love with what I heard.( they used b&w 685's though and not Klipsch, but based on research and lurking in all sorts of forums, Klipsch horns + Tube amp = VERY SWEET SOUND! 8) )  I already have the cd player and the speakers but I'm in the process of finding the right tube amp to properly power my speakers.  I have only listened to a yaquin tube amp and nothing else (i dont even know what series it was, all I know is that it was a "cute" 40 watt amp that packed a wallop in driving those 685's) so any suggestion/explanation/help will be most welcome.

NOTE:My living room is rectangular in shape and is approximately 30-35 sq. meters with minimal acoustic room treatment (curtains and carpets are all i have).
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM by Timithekid »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
Re: 2.1 Audio set up using a tube amp
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 01:34 AM »
Congrats in advance bro, am also planning to set up a dedicated audio this christmas.. Parinig ah pag complete na..
The Pats way...

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 01:37 AM »
Chif try to go to hyperaudio's place, there are lots of tube amp dun na pwede audition. May nakita din ako na amx na  tube monoblocks including the tube preamp pa. Or you can visit the shop of mang rod. If you can wait till the hifi show, try to visit the harana setup also. Or you want to audition the vtl sa graymarket :) :) or ask sir nelson about the tube amp na match sa klipsch :) :)
WCH CM U?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 02:07 AM »
Advance congrats! I use to power my RB81 with a 2A3 SET tube amp.

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 03:32 AM »
Congrats in advance bro, am also planning to set up a dedicated audio this christmas.. Parinig ah pag complete na..

Sure brad! if i'm not mistaken taga south karin so that can easily be arranged! timbrehan kita when i finally find a tube amp. :)

Chif try to go to hyperaudio's place, there are lots of tube amp dun na pwede audition. May nakita din ako na amx na  tube monoblocks including the tube preamp pa. Or you can visit the shop of mang rod. If you can wait till the hifi show, try to visit the harana setup also. Or you want to audition the vtl sa graymarket :) :) or ask sir nelson about the tube amp na match sa klipsch :) :)

nabalitaan ko na yang VTL..out of budget tayo dyan! lol para kay sister louie lang yon hehe.  as for the harana, its selling at 30k sa MP and after reading around they consider that a steal, but if i get it, I'd also have to steal...from a BANK! lol, out of budget parin.  I was thinking around 12-15k kasya na eh.  and you are right, i will definitely wait until the hifi show, baka may makitang DIY tube na affordable eh.  >:D at hindi ko alam na tubo pala ang amp ni master
nelson para sa RB81, matanong nga!  THANKS SIRE! :D

Advance congrats! I use to power my RB81 with a 2A3 SET tube amp.

Master N! my favorite consultant hehe, with a 12-15K budget will i be able to find a decent tube amp na kaya idrive ang klipsch natin?  the 2.1 will be dedicated to audio, I'll be using Polkies or B&W's for my HT kapag nakahanap ako ng tube amp.  >:D O0
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2012 at 06:31 AM by Timithekid »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 04:17 AM »
You have to choose first if you want single ended or push pull. Both have different flavors. I fyou want it really "malambing", then single ended is the way to go. Unfortunately, walang single ended na malakas that can drive our speakers at reference levels without clipping. Unless gawin mong $ yun budget mo.  ;D If your really into slow genres, then a single ended would meet your demands. Wag lang yun mga malalakas ang transients. Baka mahirapan. Then next is yun mga push pull. You get dynamics pero less of the "lambing". Pero iba tumunog ang single ended pagdating talaga sa acoustics etc. For me, hindi kaya ng push pull yun "sweetness" ng single ended. If you want very "relaxing" sound, and hindi ka masyadong nag-analytical listening (diverting your attention to your love of music), then tube amps are worth a try.

I'm powering my Klipsch ngayon, with icepower naman. You get the "lambing" sa icepower, not from the inherent characteristic ng amp (single ended) pero from the recording itself.

You can try dared tube amps. Meron sila watt hifi. Or you can also do hybrid.

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 04:40 AM »
sige master, babalik ako ng MCS, daming tubes doon eh, nakakainlove pala! and its not just the sound, may aeisthetic value pa when you turn off some lights, pasko pa naman so ang ilaw ko lang sa sala is my christmas tree hehe and hopefully the tubes when i get them.  I've been leaning towards Jazz lately, smooth jazz and jazz fusion.  Fell in love with Eva Cassidy's voice and Jhenna Lodwick for female voices then toni o'malley and Monte Procopio for male voices.  For the instrumentals i really like strings, whether its the piano or the guitar or even the violin and recently I also like sax.  My music choice diversified ever since I got the BADA amp for my HT, it made the klipsch sing like crazy and brought out more detail.  Dati MTV unplugged lang masaya nako tapos i found my late fathers collection and started listening to crooners and some lounge music.  before you know it, im hooked into audio and can't stop visiting record stores for all sorts jazz and lounge music.  my R&B, Rock and Electro/techno/trance collection is almost exclusively played in my car set up na lang.  I guess that will give you an idea Master Nelson of the type of audio that I want to play with my 2.1 plan.

($12-$15k...langhiya, annual income na ng ibang tao yan master! lol) >:D
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2012 at 04:35 PM by Timithekid »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 12:24 PM »
Just remember (based on my personal experience), maski na sensitive si Klipsch, it would still require at least 30w of power at reference levels. pero kung 6db below reference levels, kaya na siguro ng 5-15w.

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 12:51 PM »
Noted po master nelson
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 898
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 01:48 PM »
I'm trying to set up a 2.1 audio rig in my living room and would like to ask some suggestions from anyone/everyone regarding tube amps ( I have little to no experience with it...please note). 

I plan to use Klipsch RF 52's with an RW12 + a tube amp + NAD 515 cd player.  I've listened to a very similar set up at Watts hifi in MCS and fell in love with what I heard.( they used b&w 685's though and not Klipsch, but based on research and lurking in all sorts of forums, Klipsch horns + Tube amp = VERY SWEET SOUND! 8) )  I already have the cd player and the speakers but I'm in the process of finding the right tube amp to properly power my speakers.  I have only listened to a yaquin tube amp and nothing else (i dont even know what series it was, all I know is that it was a "cute" 40 watt amp that packed a wallop in driving those 685's) so any suggestion/explanation/help will be most welcome.

NOTE:My living room is rectangular in shape and is approximately 30-35 sq. meters with minimal acoustic room treatment (curtains and carpets are all i have).

a very good budget tube amp is the nOrh integrated tube amp model SE9

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0203/nohr1.jpg

second hand it ranges from 12K to 15K. Owned one for around two years and for the money it sounds good. looking back I do regret that I sold mine. could have used it now for a small bedroom system.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 01:50 PM »
a very good budget tube amp is the nOrh integrated tube amp model SE9

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0203/nohr1.jpg

second hand it ranges from 12K to 15K. Owned one for around two years and for the money it sounds good. looking back I do regret that I sold mine. could have used it now for a small bedroom system.

You know where i can grab one? :)
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2012 at 01:08 PM »
Bought mine here in the Philippines c/o Arch Audio. Probably you can source one out in Thailand. PM Edwin as well because he can source a good priced tube integrated for you in Singapore
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2012 at 04:34 PM »
Bro synchro, salamat sa plug :)

Why not try to audition the Dared MP5. This is a hybrid and sound a lot better than more expensive amps, tube or solid state alike. Pasok pa ito sa budget mo and have enough wattage to drive your Klipsch. You can even make this good amp to sound better by some component upgrades.

You could check out also the shop of Rene/Hypertriode. A lot of tube amps to select and i'm sure he has one to suit your budget.

Kung talagang wala pa rin, i could also search an amp for you kaya lang ang disadvantage pag sa akin, apektado na kaagad ang budget mo ng shipping cost. But i know we could still work something out.

LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2012 at 07:35 PM »
Bro synchro, salamat sa plug :)

Why not try to audition the Dared MP5. This is a hybrid and sound a lot better than more expensive amps, tube or solid state alike. Pasok pa ito sa budget mo and have enough wattage to drive your Klipsch. You can even make this good amp to sound better by some component upgrades.

You could check out also the shop of Rene/Hypertriode. A lot of tube amps to select and i'm sure he has one to suit your budget.

Kung talagang wala pa rin, i could also search an amp for you kaya lang ang disadvantage pag sa akin, apektado na kaagad ang budget mo ng shipping cost. But i know we could still work something out.

Brother edwin thank you for the tips and the very kind offer of helping source an amp through you, i'll consider the visit to hypertriode muna, although you or bro synchro gotta help me out somehow because i dont know where that is hehe.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 02:49 PM »
Punta ka sa Hi Fi show. Look for the HyperTriode Room then sa loob nun ask for the guru himself....Rene Rivo. Alamat na yun pag dating sa tubes.
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 05:12 PM »
Punta ka sa Hi Fi show. Look for the HyperTriode Room then sa loob nun ask for the guru himself....Rene Rivo. Alamat na yun pag dating sa tubes.

Thank you sire, will definitely seek him out sa show...
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM »
After hours of auditioning different type of tubes i finally pulled the trigger and got this beautiful amp courtesy of andrew sevilla of amx. Excellent piece of work Andrew! Im officially a fan!

« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2012 at 05:09 AM by Timithekid »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: 2.0 Audio set up using a tube amp
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM »
Congrats bro... ang ganda.... Balita ko may listening session kayo kina Louie with his Duetto he he he.... Kulaman mode kayo dun for sure he he he...

Wala bang review dyan?
Walang Setup

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM »
After hours of auditioning different type of tubes i finally pulled the trigger and got this beautiful amp courtesy of andrew sevilla of amx. Excellent piece of work Andrew! Im officially a fan!

IMG]http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q680/Timithekid/image-2.jpg[/IMG]

Congrats painom ka na. Hakot lang ng hakot. PJ naman sunod and HTPC. >:D >:D >:D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 05:17 AM »
Congrats bro... ang ganda.... Balita ko may listening session kayo kina Louie with his Duetto he he he.... Kulaman mode kayo dun for sure he he he...

Wala bang review dyan?

Salamat sis, iba pala talaga ang tubes, i paired it with my old klipsch fs and it completely negated the horns brightness, overall the combo sounded very neutral and detailed.  the highs were still very smooth and the mids just as clear.  The lows were also very full bodied with all those percussion instruments coming out whenever a floor tomm was struck.  Im probably biased but the amx tubes sound way better than my klipsch+pioneer/bada set up.    No regrets with the decision to go tube set up for my audio. :)

Congrats painom ka na. Hakot lang ng hakot. PJ naman sunod and HTPC. >:D >:D >:D

Pwedeng pwede mag painom dito sa bahay sis, syempre ang buong sisterhood is always welcome to my humble home, yun nga lang audio lang tayo kasi my HT setup is still in my bedroom, wala pang bakanteng kwarto eh.  As soon as may mabakantehan na na room, my journey to the darkside will be complete! PJ TIME NA YON  >:D >:D >:D
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2012 at 05:20 AM by Timithekid »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 05:24 AM »
congratulations bro. nice choice. saw that same exact amp in Andrew's shop here in BF Homes. did you get it from there?
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 05:31 AM »
Brother Hector! Thank you po. Yes this is the one! Taga bf lang din po ako thats why i had the luxury of listening to adrew's wonderful items for hours on end. 

Ayus na po ba ulit yung audio set up nyo? Padinig naman bro Hector, i'd like to experience your rotel+b&w combo.  I have a b&w st up as my HT but yours is the top of the mountain 8 series so im sure its a pleasure to listen to....droool :o >:D :-*
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2012 at 05:32 AM by Timithekid »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 05:43 AM »
Brother Hector! Thank you po. Yes this is the one! Taga bf lang din po ako thats why i had the luxury of listening to adrew's wonderful items for hours on end. 

Ayus na po ba ulit yung audio set up nyo? Padinig naman bro Hector, i'd like to experience your rotel+b&w combo.  I have a b&w st up as my HT but yours is the top of the mountain 8 series so im sure its a pleasure to listen to....droool :o >:D :-*

sure...lets schedule. usap tayo sa Christmas party. right now the B&W set up is being serviced because of a faulty display sa Rotel pre-amp so its in the shop of Sound Dimension. will probabaly have it in a week or two.
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 05:58 AM »
Yes yes yes! Lets schedule indeed! I'll definitely seek you out sa party. :)

Cheers brother hector!

-Timi
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline panzimus

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 07:35 AM »
How much po sir for amx tube amp if you don't mind me asking.

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 07:37 AM »
Pm sent
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline scroombroo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2012 at 10:57 PM »
sir Timi, pabulong na din po kung magkano kuha nyo sa AMX. Thanks!