Author Topic: Wharfedale Dentons . . . a brief review  (Read 73266 times)

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Wharfedale Dentons . . . a brief review
« on: Nov 08, 2012 at 06:48 AM »
Anybody importing these?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/denton

Mukhang ok naman review . . .

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2013 at 07:36 PM by muypogi »

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Dentons . . . importer bringing these in?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 03:56 AM »
bro, the 10.1s are stonking for the price.. it's just that the people that say bad things about it don't have a system capable of making them sound good :).

Offline Hammerheart

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • DVD Guru
  • Formerly known as tormentor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 05:21 AM »
I would love to have this too kaso ala makuhaan sa pinas. Les padinig next week. :)

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 09:38 PM »
bro, the 10.1s are stonking for the price.. it's just that the people that say bad things about it don't have a system capable of making them sound good :).

Yes they are, but add a bit more and the Polk RTi series or the Paradigm Atoms surpass them IMHO. . . .

They are not ngongo as the Diamond 9.1 speakers that I had as a starter system, but you can do better. If they were priced at the same level as the 9.1s, then they would be an untouchable value for money.

Teka ano na ba system mo . . . am confused . . . :-)

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2012 at 05:09 PM »
Yes they are, but add a bit more and the Polk RTi series or the Paradigm Atoms surpass them IMHO. . . .

They are not ngongo as the Diamond 9.1 speakers that I had as a starter system, but you can do better. If they were priced at the same level as the 9.1s, then they would be an untouchable value for money.

Teka ano na ba system mo . . . am confused . . . :-)

no. the atoms don't surpass them. i have a pair of atoms here and after a week i put the 10.1s back in their "stand", 10.1 more open, maganda ang mid, bigger sound and hindi nakakapagod. detail would be a toss-up. check out the stereophile review. they place these as 350$ and they compare favorably vs other speakers in that price range or higher. read in foreign forums about people buying these for 350$ and they say it sounds good.

the rti is 3x times the price and i have no interest in buying those. these already sound pretty good and i see no need to spend any more.

joey - what happened to you ? we were texting, you didn't reply after and you didn't even drop by. ?

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2012 at 06:40 PM »
no. the atoms don't surpass them. i have a pair of atoms here and after a week i put the 10.1s back in their "stand", 10.1 more open, maganda ang mid, bigger sound and hindi nakakapagod. detail would be a toss-up. check out the stereophile review. they place these as 350$ and they compare favorably vs other speakers in that price range or higher. read in foreign forums about people buying these for 350$ and they say it sounds good.

the rti is 3x times the price and i have no interest in buying those. these already sound pretty good and i see no need to spend any more.

joey - what happened to you ? we were texting, you didn't reply after and you didn't even drop by. ?

To each his own I guess, as I much preferred the Atoms over the wharfedales . . . :-)

Offline Signal2Noise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM »
Anybody importing these?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/denton

Mukhang ok naman review . . .

I have heard this Denton 80th Anniversary @ Adelphi SG, paired with NAD C356 amp, I say maganda ang tunog, polite-sounding typical sa mga British loudspeakers, hindi bright at fatiguing common sa mga ibang bookshelf speakers...Siguro mas maganda pa ang tunog nito kung sa tube amp.  I also like the retro-classic looks plus the solid-built quality and real wood finish.  Priced @ SG$900 (approx. Php31K). 
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Wharfedale Dentons : A brief review
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2013 at 07:35 PM »
I've been searching for a speaker for a secondary living room system and I've auditioned quite a bit of them.  Brands I've auditioned were affordable bookshelf and floorstanding models of Wharfedale/Epos/Tannoy/Mission/Polk/Dali and yes even Dai-Ichi . .   ;D

I would have loved to get a B&W CM5 or an RS3 but my budget was whittled down by a need to fit my budget to buy new appliances (TV/AIrcon/Speakers), so my budget was only for the entry to low-mid speakers . . .

On my final short-list was the Epos Epic 2, Tannoy Mercury V, Polk RtiA3, Wharfedale 100 and the Mission MX3.

Then suddenly I saw that SIght and Sounds was selling the Denton at a sub-20k price, so I went over to the shop to have a listen.

Associated components were:

1) Rega Elicit integrated amp
2) iPhone 4S with Apple Lossless files and 256kbps AAC from iTunes store
3) LOD to RCA cable
4) Furukawa Power Cable

Closer look on the speaker:

Tracks used were my usual speaker audition tracks, notably:

1) Magnificent Seven - Apple Lossless, from Bose Audition CD
2) Africa - Apple Lossless
3) Bring Me to Life - Apple Lossless
4) Man in The Mirror (acoustic guitar by Tuck Andress) - Apple Lossless
5) Sweet Baby (new version) - Apple Lossless
6) Locked Out of Heaven - 256kbps AAC

I usually use the Magnificent Seven track to see the speaker's quality and quantity of bass.  I was pleasantly surprised that the Denton had enough of both, despite 5 inch woofer.  Immediately noticeable was that the Dentons had a warmish signature to them, giving them additional perceived bass depth, and bass was actually very tight. 

What was also apparent was the very detailed highs, somewhat rolled off (thus less fatiguing).  But without the usual weakness of budget speakers - warm pero ngongo, detailed pero very sharp.

Plus, the cabinet was very finely finished.  Very nice real wood veneer.  Maybe they learned something from the cabinetry of Castle, which parent IAG acquired some years back.  I have a Castle Richmond on loan to my father-in-law, and I can tell you the veneer of the Denton is just as good.

Over-all, it was a very nice, well-balanced speaker, albeit on the warm side.  One nice surprise was the price - at 17.6k deferred for 12 months, the speaker is a steal at that price.  If you consider that the overseas price of the Dentons are at about 30k or so, and considering that these speakers are a limited edition series (I've read there will be only be 2k plus examples made worldwide), the value proposition of the Dentons is very persuasive. . .

Very persuasive in fact, I bought the only pair that Sight and Sounds has . . . ;D

Offline curvis

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
Re: Wharfedale Dentons . . . a brief review
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2013 at 08:14 PM »
Interesting... So is it better to get these than wharfe floorstanders like the 10.6?

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2013 at 08:29 PM »
Interesting... So is it better to get these than wharfe floorstanders like the 10.6?

In terms of sound quality, yes.  But for HT use you may need an 8 inch or 10 inch sealed sub to augment the bass.

Offline ndotcom

• DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2013 at 09:36 PM »
Nice review sir, and good looking speakers too..is the review from out of the box set in the shop or your set at home and broken in na?

Offline armymanhaha

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2013 at 10:03 PM »
Kuha nga ko nito

Napansin ko lang sa Wharfedale, parang pinabayaan nila yung build/finish sa Diamond 100 series nila ngayon. Buti naman maganda finish nila sa Jade and Dentons nila.
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2013 at 10:30 PM by armymanhaha »
"Audiophools layuan nyo ako"

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2013 at 10:38 PM »
Nice review sir, and good looking speakers too..is the review from out of the box set in the shop or your set at home and broken in na?

Out of the box pa.  Will likely improve with break in once I install it.  I'd likely use it bi-wired, as my old Diamonds sounded better bi-wired.

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2013 at 10:41 PM »
Kuha nga ko nito

Napansin ko lang sa Wharfedale, parang pinabayaan nila yung build/finish sa Diamond 100 series nila ngayon. Buti naman maganda finish nila sa Jade and Dentons nila.

The 100 series got a beating in terms of fit and finish sa What HIFI. . .

I also auditioned the smallest Jade floorstander at Spectra, and I think the Denton is significantly better.  The Jade floorstanders are another thing altogether, pero they're near B&W CM5 and 684-683 territory, so out of my prescribed budget.

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2013 at 10:53 PM »
I've been searching for a speaker for a secondary living room system and I've auditioned quite a bit of them.  Brands I've auditioned were affordable bookshelf and floorstanding models of Wharfedale/Epos/Tannoy/Mission/Polk/Dali and yes even Dai-Ichi . .   ;D

I would have loved to get a B&W CM5 or an RS3 but my budget was whittled down by a need to fit my budget to buy new appliances (TV/AIrcon/Speakers), so my budget was only for the entry to low-mid speakers . . .

On my final short-list was the Epos Epic 2, Tannoy Mercury V, Polk RtiA3, Wharfedale 100 and the Mission MX3.

Then suddenly I saw that SIght and Sounds was selling the Denton at a sub-20k price, so I went over to the shop to have a listen.

Associated components were:

1) Rega Elicit integrated amp
2) iPhone 4S with Apple Lossless files and 256kbps AAC from iTunes store
3) LOD to RCA cable
4) Furukawa Power Cable

Closer look on the speaker:

Tracks used were my usual speaker audition tracks, notably:

1) Magnificent Seven - Apple Lossless, from Bose Audition CD
2) Africa - Apple Lossless
3) Bring Me to Life - Apple Lossless
4) Man in The Mirror (acoustic guitar by Tuck Andress) - Apple Lossless
5) Sweet Baby (new version) - Apple Lossless
6) Locked Out of Heaven - 256kbps AAC

I usually use the Magnificent Seven track to see the speaker's quality and quantity of bass.  I was pleasantly surprised that the Denton had enough of both, despite 5 inch woofer.  Immediately noticeable was that the Dentons had a warmish signature to them, giving them additional perceived bass depth, and bass was actually very tight. 

What was also apparent was the very detailed highs, somewhat rolled off (thus less fatiguing).  But without the usual weakness of budget speakers - warm pero ngongo, detailed pero very sharp.

Plus, the cabinet was very finely finished.  Very nice real wood veneer.  Maybe they learned something from the cabinetry of Castle, which parent IAG acquired some years back.  I have a Castle Richmond on loan to my father-in-law, and I can tell you the veneer of the Denton is just as good.

Over-all, it was a very nice, well-balanced speaker, albeit on the warm side.  One nice surprise was the price - at 17.6k deferred for 12 months, the speaker is a steal at that price.  If you consider that the overseas price of the Dentons are at about 30k or so, and considering that these speakers are a limited edition series (I've read there will be only be 2k plus examples made worldwide), the value proposition of the Dentons is very persuasive. . .

Very persuasive in fact, I bought the only pair that Sight and Sounds has . . . ;D

paradigm nakaset dyan before when i went to sns

nice - wala ng ganyan speaker to audition?
kasi kinuha mo na? huhuhu
Love me or hate me.....

Offline transporter

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • lalang
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 01, 2013 at 11:26 PM »

I was thinking where did i saw this speaker, then suddenly i remember

January issue hifi- world - awarded as "Best Bookshelf Speaker 2012"

Not saying to rely everything on the review but rather use these reviews to help trim down the choices.

Sana magka stock ulit sa sns......(still hoping)

Offline armymanhaha

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #16 on: Jun 02, 2013 at 05:36 AM »
The 100 series got a beating in terms of fit and finish sa What HIFI. . .

I also auditioned the smallest Jade floorstander at Spectra, and I think the Denton is significantly better.  The Jade floorstanders are another thing altogether, pero they're near B&W CM5 and 684-683 territory, so out of my prescribed budget.

Foreign prices for the Jade will be about 2x more. So yung smaller FS nila nasa 120k siguro dapat. I dont think they are in the same bracket as the CM5s. i think its gonna compete with PSB Imagine T2 or BW CM7 or the Goldenear towers
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2013 at 05:58 AM by armymanhaha »
"Audiophools layuan nyo ako"

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2013 at 03:31 PM »
Foreign prices for the Jade will be about 2x more. So yung smaller FS nila nasa 120k siguro dapat. I dont think they are in the same bracket as the CM5s. i think its gonna compete with PSB Imagine T2 or BW CM7 or the Goldenear towers

Fit sa budget ko yung Jade 1, but the Dentons are cheaper and they are much better sounding IMHO. 

Medyo malalapit na rin prices yung aforementioned higher end speaks:

1) CM5 - 48k cash (SnS)
2) 684 - 46k cash (SnS)
3) 683 - 61k cash (SnS)
4) Jade 5  - 60k (from Tmans)

Goldenears are very nice speakers as I've demoed them everytime I buy stuff from the Grey Market (hirap kasi parking sa MLY along Kalayaan).  The Aon 2 and Aon 3 were the best fit in terms of getting floorstander-like sound at the size of a bookshelf.  Pero the price of both were way beyond what I could afford to spend at the moment. 

So kay Denton muna akoh . . . :-)

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #18 on: Jun 02, 2013 at 03:37 PM »
Pang-Stereophile ang review! Fremer na Fremer ah! :)
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 02, 2013 at 03:38 PM »
Fit sa budget ko yung Jade 1, but the Dentons are cheaper and they are much better sounding IMHO. 

Medyo malalapit na rin prices yung aforementioned higher end speaks:

1) CM5 - 48k cash (SnS)
2) 684 - 46k cash (SnS)
3) 683 - 61k cash (SnS)
4) Jade 5  - 60k (from Tmans)

Goldenears are very nice speakers as I've demoed them everytime I buy stuff from the Grey Market (hirap kasi parking sa MLY along Kalayaan).  The Aon 2 and Aon 3 were the best fit in terms of getting floorstander-like sound at the size of a bookshelf.  Pero the price of both were way beyond what I could afford to spend at the moment. 

So kay Denton muna akoh . . . :-)

Naks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 02, 2013 at 04:33 PM »
Pang-Stereophile ang review! Fremer na Fremer ah! :)

Pero ikaw lang ang may mga analog gears na parang Fremer . . . Jen Fremer. :-P

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 06, 2013 at 09:32 PM »
update lang . . . passed by SnS kanina before dinner and saw a pair of Dentons on display . . .

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #22 on: Jun 06, 2013 at 10:18 PM »
Very surprised with the price of the Dentons. Last I checked (Feb or Mar ata), the price was at 26k cash and +16% deferred.

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 10, 2013 at 06:23 PM »
I'll also post my impressions as soon as I hit 50-hours of play time...In the meantime, I'll enjoy the music (in the office) :D

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 11, 2013 at 08:16 AM »
Out of the box, these speakers are warm sounding but not slow/fatiguing. Images well too. Details are present.

Speakers are packed very well (speakers are placed inside a bag similar to a hotel laundry bag made of linen). Manuals and brochures are placed inside an envelop. Contains a pair of white gloves too. Excellent craftsmanship!

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 12, 2013 at 09:19 PM »
Like idol Superman, could not wait for the place where the Dentons will be place to be completed.

Set it up in my current rig:

[/URL]

Initial impressions are the same: warmish sound character, bass surprisingly ample and tight despite the 5 inch woofer. Not quite as low as my main speakers, as it has a bigger cabinet and an 8 inch woofer.

Breaking them in and will see if they improve.

Offline Hammerheart

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM »
[/URL]
What sweeet music they make. :)
Thanks Muypogi for the infos, i thought i would never own these babies. Been looking for them since they were released. Excellent speakers.

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 16, 2013 at 01:51 PM »
Congratulations, Joey!

For the record, it was Muypogi who BI-ed Superman and Tormentor and not the other way around...Muypogi is our resident guru...Bangis ng mga recommendation niyan...BIGTIME kasi sya! :D

Offline Hammerheart

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 16, 2013 at 05:00 PM »
Galing ni muy sir Jen. Ganda ng Dentons. :)
Buti me inabutan pa ko. Last pair na ata yung display last friday. Baka by now sold out na. :)
The Dentons are worth collecting really. Very good sound quality, very reasonable price, and very nicely constructed.

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jun 17, 2013 at 06:48 PM »
Galing ni muy sir Jen. Ganda ng Dentons. :)
Buti me inabutan pa ko. Last pair na ata yung display last friday. Baka by now sold out na. :)
The Dentons are worth collecting really. Very good sound quality, very reasonable price, and very nicely constructed.

Na-impluwnesiyahan lang ako ng original UK (upgrade king) man of steel . . .

Let's all enjoy our Dentons. . . talaga ubush na?