• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CS30
« on: Nov 11, 2012 at 08:59 PM »
Hello Guys,
Nice forum you got here  :)
The site was introduced to me by my friend (igopyakobis)  :P, a member of this forum. I heard from him about the tubes and how it sounds and have a friend in my current location who own a tube amp as well.
And here comes the temptation  :'(... purchased CS30 Raphaelites (7+7W) 300B but currently using small speakers. So far sounds great but I guess my current speakers not enough to bring out the expected audio the amp should provide.
Do you have any recommendation which speaker (specs, etc.) would best fit my amp?
Any feedback from other user currently using same type of amp?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2012 at 09:02 PM by tukmol1925 »

Offline docrob

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Collector
  • glow in the dark
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: CS30
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2012 at 09:40 PM »
have you ever heard of a fullrange driver?  a single speaker that covers the highs, mids and lows.  it has high sensitivity rating, usually in the 95 up so a low power amp can drive it to the fullest.  examples are fostex, corals, audio nirvana, etc

just a tip, go to youtube and search for your tube amp (Rapahelite Sinovt) and you will see that these are the kind of speakers that are paired with your amp kahit ibang model nga lang

but this is not to say that you are limited to FR.   if you want multidrivers (2-way or 3-way) just look for a pair that has high sensitivity rating para hindi mahirapan ang amp mo

enjoy your stay here
Promise, kape lang.

Offline juanbote

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • sonic nirvana? only in my dreams
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM »
I have a Fostex FP203 on a backloaded horn enclosure which I am planning to sell in the near future. We can try your amps potential on this Fullrange pair.

Please PM me if you are interested to listen to the pair with your amp.
PCCians, KB84-Accuphase E405, C200L and P300S, Richard Allan Dual Cone FR speakers.

Offline tukmol1925

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2012 at 09:05 AM »
@docrob,
Thanks for the inputs. i've seen the fostex specs and i think would fit the amp. My target would be 6" or 8" with Music power of 65W and 90W respectively.
Cheers!

Offline tukmol1925

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2012 at 09:08 AM »
@juanbote,
Thanks for the trial offer but im not in the Philippines currently.
Mabuhay!

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2012 at 07:19 AM »

[/quote]
Hello Guys,
Nice forum you got here  :)
The site was introduced to me by my friend (igopyakobis)  :P, a member of this forum. I heard from him about the tubes and how it sounds and have a friend in my current location who own a tube amp as well.
And here comes the temptation  :'(... purchased CS30 Raphaelites (7+7W) 300B but currently using small speakers. So far sounds great but I guess my current speakers not enough to bring out the expected audio the amp should provide.
Do you have any recommendation which speaker (specs, etc.) would best fit my amp?
Any feedback from other user currently using same type of amp?

Thanks.

just curious, what seems to be lacking in your current set-up? how loud do you play? how big is your listening room? what genre do you listen to?

speakers with sensitivity greater than 90db should fit....what is your current small speakers?...
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2012 at 02:41 PM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline tukmol1925

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2012 at 02:27 PM »
@TonyT,
Not sure if FR speaker as the volume can reach to 75% (for my normal music hearing) when playing Vocal Jazz, Female Vocalists, Ballads, acoustics.
I guess if FR speaker will only be <25% of the volume. I'm not sure of the Music output Watts for sure not that high for my small speaker.
See picture. Hope the picture works as my first time to post photo.

Salamat po.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2012 at 02:43 PM »
should be ok, as long as you can do that without hearing distortions, you are fine....i have power amps that have volume controls that can be turned fully clockwise without distortions setting in.....

perhaps a line amp can help....

That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline tukmol1925

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM »
@TonyT,
Yes, for the meantime will be using those speakers. What is a Line Amp? Do you mean a booster?
My friend bought FE208 Fostex without enclosure yet and we tried on the tube amp and the sound compared to the small speakers was awesome strong. I believe thats the Full Range effect and higher speaker music wattage. Much more if those speakers with enclosures.

btw, i've seen you posted about the RTA phone software. I able to download and its funny to see how the graph respond to music, pitch, noise. Good find.

Thanks.

Offline docrob

• Collector
  • glow in the dark
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM »
look for a good boxbuilder and choose a good design like a BLH (back-loaded horn)

http://www.recordcrate.net/diy/fostex/index.htm
Promise, kape lang.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 04:59 AM »
@TonyT,
Yes, for the meantime will be using those speakers. What is a Line Amp? Do you mean a booster?
My friend bought FE208 Fostex without enclosure yet and we tried on the tube amp and the sound compared to the small speakers was awesome strong. I believe thats the Full Range effect and higher speaker music wattage. Much more if those speakers with enclosures.

btw, i've seen you posted about the RTA phone software. I able to download and its funny to see how the graph respond to music, pitch, noise. Good find.

Thanks.

a line amp is for increasing the gain structure of your system, you can adjust the volume to suit your taste at the line amp and as well as the power amp.....this may seem redundant but in the absence of tone controls, this is a good alternative....

tubes like to operate with lots of voltage headroom, distortion is low this way.....what i mean is that for tube amps that can output say 10 volts, using just 2 volts ensures low distortions.....

Offline tukmol1925

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM »
look for a good boxbuilder and choose a good design like a BLH (back-loaded horn)

http://www.recordcrate.net/diy/fostex/index.htm

@docrob,
thanks for that box design and can save woods compare to the other box design same a BLH design.
I can't find in fostex.com specific for sigma box design.

Offline tukmol1925

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM »
a line amp is for increasing the gain structure of your system, you can adjust the volume to suit your taste at the line amp and as well as the power amp.....this may seem redundant but in the absence of tone controls, this is a good alternative....

tubes like to operate with lots of voltage headroom, distortion is low this way.....what i mean is that for tube amps that can output say 10 volts, using just 2 volts ensures low distortions.....

@TonyT,
Thanks for the explanation.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM »

Magkaiba ata sir yun line amp/stage vs tone controls? Tone controls is simply an EQ limited to certain freqs unlike line amp. w/c controls the voltage of the full range signals.

And yes, tube power amps .need a minimum of IMHO, 6v to operate properly w/o distortion.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM »
Magkaiba ata sir yun line amp/stage vs tone controls? Tone controls is simply an EQ limited to certain freqs unlike line amp. w/c controls the voltage of the full range signals.

And yes, tube power amps .need a minimum of IMHO, 6v to operate properly w/o distortion.

tama ka as far as "definition goes"....but recent experience points to a different scenario....a line amp is not a tone control per se.....but adjustment of a line amp has some impact on how the system works....

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM »
tama ka as far as "definition goes"....but recent experience points to a different scenario....a line amp is not a tone control per se.....but adjustment of a line amp has some impact on how the system works....

Ah. I kinda get what you mean. Yes, it actually makes a big impact kasi tumaas ang voltage input ng tube amp, hence better dynamics etc.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2012 at 06:35 AM »
^mismo.....in the last hifi show, the 4incher FR in a TL box performed better with a preamp, and an EL34 35watter pp amp compared to a 10watter Russian SET, better dymamics, kick drums clearly heard, cymbal crashes clear and crisp......so much so that a guy came up to me and asked "where is your subwoofer?"...of course the SET was impecable at the mids and highs, but the pp was clearly better in the dynamics....adding the preamp even improved things....

it was an eye opener of sorts....for one i never imagined a 4inch FR can sound that way.....i was pleasantly flabbergasted....;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2012 at 07:09 AM »
^mismo.....in the last hifi show, the 4incher FR in a TL box performed better with a preamp, and an EL34 35watter pp amp compared to a 10watter Russian SET, better dymamics, kick drums clearly heard, cymbal crashes clear and crisp......so much so that a guy came up to me and asked "where is your subwoofer?"...of course the SET was impecable at the mids and highs, but the pp was clearly better in the dynamics....adding the preamp even improved things....

it was an eye opener of sorts....for one i never imagined a 4inch FR can sound that way.....i was pleasantly flabbergasted....;D

Parang more than 4" yun... Hindi ka ba na-"flabberghasted" sa price? Haha!

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2012 at 11:32 AM »
Parang more than 4" yun... Hindi ka ba na-"flabberghasted" sa price? Haha!

it was part of the 35k DIY showcase at room 446.....cost was 35k for amp and speaker combo, the caveat was that you have to build it yourself......;D

you will be surprised that the driver used was a sony 4inch harvested from a sony minicompo....tukayo Trod93, modded it to have a phase plug and whizzers......box was a small TL, no crossover components used......i was surprised that that small speaker can eat the power dished out by the EL34pp amp without breaking a sweat....Joe Morello's take5 track came out alive....;D

you can hear this speakers at Trod93's music den....

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM by TonyT »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2012 at 08:51 PM »
it was part of the 35k DIY showcase at room 446.....cost was 35k for amp and speaker combo, the caveat was that you have to build it yourself......;D

you will be surprised that the driver used was a sony 4inch harvested from a sony minicompo....tukayo Trod93, modded it to have a phase plug and whizzers......box was a small TL, no crossover components used......i was surprised that that small speaker can eat the power dished out by the EL34pp amp without breaking a sweat....Joe Morello's take5 track came out alive....;D

you can hear this speakers at Trod93's music den....

Oooissst! hindi na ganyan ang finish niyan!

Offline tukmol1925

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2012 at 08:43 AM »
wow nice speaker and enclosure.
How much does it cost for that enclosure?

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2012 at 04:48 PM »
wow nice speaker and enclosure.
How much does it cost for that enclosure?

the speaker was made by my tukayo, tony rodriguez, it was part of a package called 35k showcase, an amp speaker combo...you cvan pm him, he is a member here, trod93 is his handle....

Offline docrob

• Collector
  • glow in the dark
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2012 at 05:25 PM »
now everybody can see that the 4in sony speaker has no accompanying woofer, design lang talaga yung nasa harap ng enclosure

magkano nga kaya inabot yang floorstander TL?
Promise, kape lang.

Offline tukmol1925

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM »
the speaker was made by my tukayo, tony rodriguez, it was part of a package called 35k showcase, an amp speaker combo...you cvan pm him, he is a member here, trod93 is his handle....

Thanks TonyT,
i saw the enclosure design for fostex speakers which requires 21mm for 8", is this really needed as i believe no marine plywood in the philippines with this size or the 3/4 size equivalent?

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2012 at 07:31 AM »
sadly i am an amplifier only guy and knows next to nothing about speaker DIY so i am unable to comment....;D

Offline tukmol1925

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM »
Just want to share:
Received a 2nd hand speaker FE206 Sigma Fostex, problem will be the box.. :(. Had tried the speaker without box and sounds great compared to my small boxed speakers.
Speaker photos from Japan

Now for the cables:
From ampli to speakers

Speaker Connectors

From any Player to Ampli

From PC/CP to Ampli

Bisyo na ito... :'( :'( :'(

Offline docrob

• Collector
  • glow in the dark
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 07:54 PM »
hehehe i you let it be bisyo gunon nga mangyayari

nice pair of drivers
Promise, kape lang.

Offline tukmol1925

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 09:18 AM »
hehehe thanks docrob.
do you think i still need that tweeters?

Offline docrob

• Collector
  • glow in the dark
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 09:48 AM »
i think only you can decide that for yourself

if you could fabricate a temporary enclosure so you can test the Fostex first then with the tweeter so you can audition and hear the outcome then that would be ideal

i heard recently a fostex in a BLH powered by a SET amp and nakukulangan ako sa highs and low but maybe it was just me, sa youtube ok naman tunog ng fostex mag-isa
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2012 at 01:12 PM by docrob »
Promise, kape lang.

Offline tukmol1925

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM »
ok let me try temp box then first. hehe