Author Topic: Wooden floor soundproofing / room treatment suggestions pls  (Read 1508 times)

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Hi guys. I'm building a house currently and I'm planning a music/video room in the attic. However, the floor of the attic is not concrete, but will be made up of wooden planks (JME real wood) under a plywood or hardiflex sub-floor, supported by metal frame underneath (steel purlins, I believe is what they call it). I know the most efficient would have been a concrete floor, but that can't be done so I'll need to work with what I have.

The JME wood planks have a rubber backing already. Would this be sufficient? The manufacturer says the rubber backing does away with the need for a foam layer below. I'm thinking I'd lay the foam underlay or a suitable substitute just to deaden the sound and lessen the sound that will leak to the room below.

Is there a local distributor who sells stuff such as this:

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/step-above-plus.html

Another solution would be an underlay on the wood floor and some acoustic stuffing material between the layers . . .

Any suggestion from people who have done this thing before?

Also, looking at treating the room, since it's a bit irregularly shaped and I'm anticipating it will be a headache setting this one up. . .

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2012 at 05:32 AM by muypogi »

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wooden floor soundproofing / room treatment suggestions pls
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM »
this should cover the basics...
Soundproofing 101: How To Keep Your Home Theater Quiet

excerpt:
9 Soundproof the floor. It can be easy to overlook the floor, especially in a retrofit in which you have to deal with the hassle of mismatched floor heights, but the same principles that apply to walls and ceilings—mass, damping, and decoupling—are valid here, too. “Soundproofing the floor is a little more complicated,” Grimani says, noting that the exact course of action is determined by what’s beneath the floor—whether it’s a concrete slab, crawl space, or a finished room. One approach is to install an isolation mat and subflooring, which will raise the height of the floor between a half-inch and almost 2 inches, depending on the materials used. To get around that, you have to create an elevated threshold. Not ideal, but doable.

there is an Acoustic Treatment thread here as well (search mo na lang), lots of info as well
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM by rthirtyfourgtr »
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Offline ultimatedls

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 04:16 AM »
For room acoustic sir you can pm sir mike c he sells auralex :)
SVS PB13 and PC13 ULTRA
SVS ULTRA SPEAKERS
EMOTIVA
MARANTZ

Offline joko11

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 04:44 AM »
lagyan mo ng inbetween floor at rockwool bilang palaman solved yan ;)
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM »
Usually, ang kalaban ng wooden floors, is vibration caused by the lows. For HT, i don't mind kasi it adds sa effect. However, for music, kinda hindi maganda ang effect sa akin lalo na at reference levels. Sumasabay yun floors sa transients ng lows. IMHO, mass loading lang talaga ang katapat ng lows. In your case, if concrete in not an option, you can try thick MDFs (preferably 1" or up ) instead of hardiflex.

I'm thinking I'd lay the foam underlay or a suitable substitute just to deaden the sound and lessen the sound that will leak to the room below.
Another solution would be an underlay on the wood floor and some acoustic stuffing material between the layers . . .
Any suggestion from people who have done this thing before?
Also, looking at treating the room, since it's a bit irregularly shaped and I'm anticipating it will be a headache setting this one up.
Thanks!

Sandwiching acoustic absorbing materials such as foam, fiberglass or rockwool would negate its purpose of absorbing mid-low to high frequencies since your flooring has already deflected the sound wave before it reaches the material. Pwede pa siguro, carpet sa flooring for mid to high freqs. But, again, i'm not a fan of treating the floors with absorbing materials because our brain/ears are very used processing reflections from the floor. Instead, i treated the ceiling na lang for an open air ambiance.

For acoustic treatment sa walls, try Trod93. Taga commonwealth lang siya and is a regular suki of PDvders.

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 07:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Some pics of the construction:

Medyo low-hanging yung roof, pwede mo abutin at its lowest point . . . here's the view at from the proposed listening position.

Given the ceiling of the room below is just 2.3m, I'm left with little room for rockwool insulation.  Any idea if this is fire-retardant? 

One thing I'm looking at is treating either the subfloor or the ceiling with something akin to Dynamat, or a cheaper substitute.

Boss Nelson, agree on your observations, though I'm still looking to put in an underlay, either rubber/foam/cork to add a bit of deadening to the room. Medyo mabigat yung MDF (baka hindi kaya ng metal purlin support), and medyo mahal, but let me see if my budget can hack it. My main concern is the sound going through the room below, which is my daughter's bedroom.  It will be a stereo setup btw, with it doubling as a 2.0 HT setup.

Room treatment will have to wait until I get a sense on how the room sounds. Medyo irregular yung ceiling ng room, so one of the suggestions was to get all the gear in and see how it sounds without the room treatment.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2012 at 07:51 PM by muypogi »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:40 PM »
Nasa P1,600 ata ang 1" MDF. I know si Pilyo may available. It's 1.5 the cost of 3/4 plywood. Pwedeng palitan ng C channel yun purlin. Hehe!

Offline ryn0128

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 09:34 PM »
pwede mo din ito lagyan ng kinetic soundmatt and wonderboard

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!