Author Topic: DVD Audio/SACD  (Read 15458 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DVD Audio/SACD
« on: Dec 03, 2001 at 07:51 PM »
Recently visited a record store at Mega Mall and found Warner DVD Audio disc selling at Php750 each. My questions: 1) Will these discs play on an ordinary DVD player and can it be decoded its 6 chan. audio out? Will it have a regional coding or RCE encoded on it? Will it play DTS or DD 5.1 audio as if it were like movie audio? 2)Is SACD format will be on only?. Also visited Image at Harisson and bought George Benson DVD Audio, but to my dismay it won't play on my Philips 860. And was told that it will play on any DVD but only be decoded as an ordinary CD audio unless using an DVD Audio player,Is that true? An was also told that an SACD player will output stereo signal only(left and right) not 6 chan audio, Is that true? How come it has an optical and coaxial output? Do we need another amplifier or decoder for these medium to enjoy a 6 chan? Hoping for your response.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
Re: DVD Audio/SACD
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2001 at 08:09 PM »
I'm not familiar with DVD Audio, but this thread may be of help:

DVD-Audio

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
Re:DVD Audio/SACD
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2002 at 07:32 PM »
Repost from anothert thread

To robertj, manila and all those discussing earleir on the pros and cons of having a separate HT and audio-only set-up, (I think we should have a searate thread on this, or is there already),  I just want to get your opinion on this:

Once the SACD (SuperAudio CD) and DVD-Audio titles are released and, ofcourse,  their players,  out in the market, how will you reconcile 5.1 up to 7.1 channels of discretely encoded music with a 2-speaker hi-end audio set-up>

I've listened to concerts of Earl Klugh (The Jazz Channel label) and those of the Bee Gees, the Eagles, Kenny Logins etc, in 5.1 DD or and DTS (I have yet to get a symphoniy peformance, do you know of any?) and have noted the apparrent accoustical depth and sonic brilllance of these performances on an HT 6-speaker set-up versus a 2-speaker stereo only mode.  (For one, the audience responses are at the rear speakers making me feel like being very close to the soundstage with the rest of the audience at the back.)  I will not claim it is sonically superior to a 2-spkr high-end set-up (which I also have.)  The listening experience, though, is just marvellosly satisfying.  I can't recall having this experience on my father's  4-channel system that he had also separetely from his his high-end all tube set-up.

I've been informed by my audiphile friend about some forthcoming releases like the Beethoven Symphony 9 that might be released with the soloists at the center channel, the choir at the front, and the full orchestra encoded for rear-chanel only in DTS or even in 6.1 DTS Surround EX.  But only an SACD player will play it (not even a DVD player can play it.

Right now I am consolidating all my high-end equipment for an 8-speaker connection in prepration for this SACD thing.  I would like to hear what the stereo pundits have to say.  Please direct me to the appropriate thread on this subject if there is one already.  Thanks.

rtsy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2002 at 07:59 AM »
--> Will these discs play on an ordinary
--> DVD player and can it be decoded
--> its 6 chan. audio out?

Your DVD player should specifically have analogue output DVD-A or SACD.  Recent Pioneers have this already (636 and 838 plays only DVD-A though, 733a plays both DVD-A and multi-channel SACD).  The PhP99k Sony DVP-S9000ES plays 2 channel SACD and not DVD-A.  

Because of issues on copyright protection, record labels have colluded so manufacturers can only produce DVD-A and SACD players that DO NOT HAVE DIGITAL OUTPUTS that can then be decoded/processed off-board, i.e., a receiver or a pre-pro.

--> Will it have a regional coding or RCE
--> encoded on it?

Don't know if SACD or DVD-A hve regional encoding.

--> Will it play DTS or DD 5.1 audio as if it were like
--> movie audio?

If a DTS/DD track is included, then you should be able to play it.  I doubt it though.  The whole point of SACD and DVD-A is high resolutipon audio that takes up a lot of space on a disc (hence the need for the larger capacity DVD discs).

--> Is SACD format will be on only?

Come again?  I got lost here.  ;-)

--> on my Philips 860. And was told that it will
--> play on any DVD but only be decoded as an
--> ordinary CD audio unless using an DVD Audio
--> player,Is that true?

Most SACDs have the stereo track on the same disc.  If your equipment cannot read the SACD/DVD-A track, you'll get the stereo.  This is how equipment manufacturers make SACD bakcward compatible with Redbook CD.

--> was also told that an SACD player will
--> output stereo signal only(left and right)
--> not 6 chan audio, Is that true?

There is 2 channel SACD which outputs stereo only.  There is also multi-channel SACD which outpits 5.1 (I think there is no SACD that outputs 6.1 or 7.1).

--> How come it has an optical and coaxial output?

Do you mean optical and coaxial DIGITAL output?  Yes, SACD/DVD-A players would have digital outs so you can feed DD/DTS into your pre-pro/receiver.

--> Do we need another amplifier or
-->decoder for these medium to enjoy a 6 chan?

Re: amplifier...latter model receivers and all amplifiers with the right number of channels can take an analogue output from an SACD/DVD-A player.  The decoding is done in the player.  Absence of digital SACD/DVD-A output is meant to deter piracy.  But it also means:

1--duplication of decoding/processing functionalities in both the source component and the pre-pro/receiver.

2--since source is at the same time required to have decoding/processing (e.g., bass management), and be at a reasonable price, SACD/DVD-A is often compromised.

The record companies and the manufacturers have to get their acts together.  I think the copyright business model for record companies is obsolete in the digital realm.  I don't have the answer but this is an issue we all must face.

Think of it this way, until the labels/eqpt manufacturers get their act together, we don't have to jump into the DVD-A/SACD wagon just yet, saving us $$$.  ;-)

Offline manila

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2002 at 08:04 AM »

To robertj, manila and all those discussing earleir on the pros and cons of having a separate HT and audio-only set-up, (I think we should have a searate thread on this, or is there already),  I just want to get your opinion on this:

Once the SACD (SuperAudio CD) and DVD-Audio titles are released and, ofcourse,  their players,  out in the market, how will you reconcile 5.1 up to 7.1 channels of discretely encoded music with a 2-speaker hi-end audio set-up>

I've listened to concerts of Earl Klugh (The Jazz Channel label) and those of the Bee Gees, the Eagles, Kenny Logins etc, in 5.1 DD or and DTS (I have yet to get a symphoniy peformance, do you know of any?) and have noted the apparrent accoustical depth and sonic brilllance of these performances on an HT 6-speaker set-up versus a 2-speaker stereo only mode.  (For one, the audience responses are at the rear speakers making me feel like being very close to the soundstage with the rest of the audience at the back.)  I will not claim it is sonically superior to a 2-spkr high-end set-up (which I also have.)  The listening experience, though, is just marvellosly satisfying.  I can't recall having this experience on my father's  4-channel system that he had also separetely from his his high-end all tube set-up.

I've been informed by my audiphile friend about some forthcoming releases like the Beethoven Symphony 9 that might be released with the soloists at the center channel, the choir at the front, and the full orchestra encoded for rear-chanel only in DTS or even in 6.1 DTS Surround EX.  But only an SACD player will play it (not even a DVD player can play it.

Right now I am consolidating all my high-end equipment for an 8-speaker connection in prepration for this SACD thing.  I would like to hear what the stereo pundits have to say.  Please direct me to the appropriate thread on this subject if there is one already.  Thanks.

LEXMILL,
    First of all, I haven't tried a SACD multichannel setup but from the reviews I have read over stereophile and internet journals, SACD sounds superior over the red book CD's whether it be 2 channel or multichannel setup.
   There are a few things that needs to be pointed out. There is no "right" setup with this regard. It is the listener's preference that will rule the day. If you are happy with a multichannel setup and preferred your music coming from upfront and audience clapping from behind that is your preference and multichannel will win your day. But I know of the "die-hard" audiophiles that may stick to 2 channel setup even with SACD multichannel around. Here's why :
From my experience, a 2 channel setup has a more focused sound, if you are looking for the vocal depth and emotion, a "high end" setup will leave you grasping as the music sucks you in. Also, there is a "visually" pictured soundstage and imaging not quite as coherent as a multichannel setup.
     With multichannel setup, what you are aiming for is excitement and a different type of emotional roller coaster where you are with the audience! With 2 channel setup, it is more like the artist is in the same room with you and you are not transported to another arena. It's more like a 1 on 1 with the artist in a 2 channel setup while you are there live with the artist in multichannel setup. Well the question is, will it be necessary if the recording is not a live recording where there are no clapping and audience present? I for one listen to jazz recordings and I prefer having the whole band and the artist upfront while im seated in my listening couch. It is superficial to hear (in a non-live recording) to hear bass guitar coming from behind or the sides and the vocals up front while the acoustic guitar is playing on the rear right.  
     There is also a drawback with multichannel setup. If you love high end audio, were talking Wilson Watt/Puppy, Dynaudio Evidence, JMLAB Utopias, SF Amati homage. These speakers cost P500k to P800k a pair, how much would one need to spend to attain a "high end"  SACD multichannel setup of say 7 speakers? :)
     My suggestion would be to wait a couple more years in the Philippines before you splash your hard earned cash with SACD/DVD-A multichannel setup because you never know 2 years time, SACD and DVD-A may become the next DAT or MD! :) My 2 cents on this issue.

Manila

Offline rosetatoo

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2002 at 11:12 AM »
Hi Lexmil,

It shouldn't be a problem or dilemna integrating your HT and high-end audio set-up, and both can benefit from the technologies of either.  

In my case, though my system is not high-end, I switch between 5.1 for movie and plain stereo for music.  Some musical materials on CD sound more localized on 5.1 so I just switch to whatever mode gives me more listening pleasure.  CD recordings of non-live jazz and pop music sound perfectly OK on plain stereo.  But I must confess some symphonic readings appear to sound cleaner, deeper and more expansive on 5.1.  I am refering to the My Fair Lady soundtrack on CD and the remastered DVD issue.  It seems the remastering on DVD has given more  depth and expanse to the music on the  film than the music-only soundtrack CD release.  Then again, that's my perception.

So Lexmil, my unsolicited adivce is for you to retain your high-end speakers for the front and your HT speakers for the surrounds on an 8-speaker set-up.  Then, if your HT AV receiver has a main amp-out, use your high-end main amps for the front instead.  I think that way you can enjoy both worlds.   Hope I was of help.  What do you think, audiophiles out there.

Offline lexmil

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2002 at 01:29 PM »
Thanks Manila,

I don't mnd waiting for another year or so, I'm new to DVD anyway.  And still saving-up for an upgrade to high-end.

Let me just offer my 2 cents also, Manila.  

I've been an audiophile for the last 20 years and glued to 2-speaker set-ups until about 7 years ago when I started w/ my first pro-logic amp.  Yes, you are right,  I may be  looking for something exciting in the Hi-Fi world and this 5.1 phenomenon seems to promise a lot in this direction.

I strongly believe that advances made in Hi-Fi is aimed at providing the serious listener (aka audiophile) a faithful or realistic reproduciton of a performance at home.  The more faithful, the better.  And being an audiophile means a lover of sunds.  Not just music.  I remember the acclaim given to the masterful reproduction of 18th century canon shots on Sir Lorin Maazel's reading of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture on Telarc.  It appears that hi-fi not only means reproducting Ella Fitzerald singing but also canon shots!!

Surely, a jazz ensemble or a classical quintet sounds excellent on 2-spkr stereo. But faithfully reproducing the howling winds of a tornado as in the movie TWISTER or the sounds of gunfire coming from all directions in a war like SAVING PRIVATE RYAN may just require a more elaborate set-up for them to be realistically convincing. And I can't wait to hear a choral symphony like the Beethoven 9th played with the soloists in the center , the choir at the front and the orchestra at the back.  That maybe superfluous like you said, after all, you don't listen to a performance like that in the middle of the stage.  But you see, you don't get the sounds just from the front either anyway, but from reflections coming from all directions.  And I think that's where the 5.1 or 7.1 hi-fi set-up can do its job, more realistically than is possible with 2 speakers.

And for me, putting reality right in your room is what hi-fi is about.  

Am I making sense here.  Anyway, your point about investing  half-a-million per speaker pair in a high-end audio really makes quite an argument against this 5.1.  But I guess if a moneyed high--ender is convinced about 5.1, what's another million or so to upgrade say a P2-3 M high-end set-up?

What do you think.  

To Rosetatoo, let's discuss after my meeting in the office. See my email.  And correction, I don't have a high-end set-up but is gearing up for that.  Which is why I posted this question for a 5.1 high-end set-up.  And my budget is only a measely P1M, hopefully getting there by Christmas.  This year.

Offline manila

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2002 at 09:45 PM »
Dear Lexmil,
      You are completely correct with audiophile loving the accuracy of even canon shots but my explanation only concerned DVD-Audio/SACD and not movies as per Saving Private Ryan etc.
      The question I guess is whether it is worth the effort or is it really better multichannel vs 2 channel. My answer would be it is neither! It is to the listeners preference which setup he prefers and if the budget is not a constraint then why not? Having a multichannel setup can also be configured to 2 channel setup but not vice versa so in a way if one have a multichannel setup then it's all good! My answer only pertains to audio only and not audio/video setup. Hope we don't get confused users thinking I prefer 2 channel for movies! :)

Manila

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2002 at 04:29 AM »
One million budget? WOW!!!! Ang daming wharfedale speakers yon!!!!!

Thanks Manila,

To Rosetatoo, let's discuss after my meeting in the office. See my email.  And correction, I don't have a high-end set-up but is gearing up for that.  Which is why I posted this question for a 5.1 high-end set-up.  And my budget is only a measely P1M, hopefully getting there by Christmas.  This year.

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2002 at 05:54 PM »

Thanks Manila,

Nice one, Levi.!  :D

Oh, if I had a million... things and stuff I could do with it.  I'll probably upgrade my system and still have enough to buy a car. Oh well, to each his own.  8)

voj  :)

Offline Racio

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2002 at 06:36 PM »
LOL hahahaha!!!!!   ;D

http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2002 at 12:01 AM by Racio »

Offline aikon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2002 at 11:28 PM »

WOW!!!  :o

http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

troll?  ???

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2002 at 08:45 AM »
... my budget is only a measely P1M, hopefully getting there by Christmas.  This year.

Hi lexmil! ;D

This really piques my curiosity. As there are several ways to skin a cat, I'm genuinely interested in what kind of set up one would get at this price.

Do you mind posting your intended set-up on the What is Your Next Upgrade? thread?

This would benefit forum members like myself, who are always in the market for reasonable upgrades.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2002 at 04:07 PM by espace »
Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline PARC

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/parc/
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 17, 2002 at 09:14 AM »

Hahahahahahahah! Sana may matira kang pang bili ng gatas ng anak mo.  ;D

If I have that much money, I'll probably won't be telling people about it.  ::) ;) And also much better buy a PC for my home instead of using the Office PC. Well with a million bucks to burn why work if you can retire and put up a business? ;D

PARC
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2002 at 09:22 AM by PARC »

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 17, 2002 at 10:30 AM »

Nice one, Levi.!  :D

Oh, if I had a million... things and stuff I could do with it.  I'll probably upgrade my system and still have enough to buy a car. Oh well, to each his own.  8)

voj  :)

Ako ibibili ko ng Rolex Oyster Perpetua.  Teka, lagpas ata iyon sa 1M.

O sige, uubusin ko na lang sa DVD, tutal imposible naman na manalo ako ng free 2,000 titles sa Amazon na free shipping.

Offline Paltik

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 02:02 AM »
teka teka , have i seen the past 7 posters somewhere?  ??? parang ah   ::). oh well, maybe its just the sound of ONE MILLION BUCKS making me delirious . 10 years ko kailangan ipunin yun ah  ;)  . hehe peace preg..., este .... :P

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 10:40 AM »
Para hindi naman lumalayo gaano sa topic, with 1M, bibili na talaga ako ng DVD Audio Player at SACD Player.

Bibibli na rin ako ng spare bulbs sa Infocus - mga 5 siguro para good for 10,000 hours.  Since maraming mga still shots sa DVD Audio, eh di parang may malaking painting sa room ko with the Infocus.

1/2M will be allocated for my electric bill - pang kontra sa PPA - hindi biro ang Meralco bill mo kapag may 2HP aircon ka, 350Watts na Infocus, at may HT ka pa.

Yuong tira eh pambili ng mga bala ng DVD Audio at SACD with the biggest chunk of the 1M to be used to pay my electric bill - laban kontra sa PPA.

Offline lexmil

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 11:48 AM »
To all you guys,

I didn't know that one liner would stir up so much reaction.  Sorry there.  

You're all correct, that P1M would be better off buying a lot more sensible stuff than this hobby of ours.  But guys I'm just allocating a paper budget.  I remember in 1996 when I started getting a prologic set-up, I allocated P200T for my paper budget a year earlier.  And I ended up spending less than half of that (together with other components) in reality

I did some recent math and so far the budget gives a lot of buffer.  Just for your info the budget breakdown is as follows:

SACD player:   US$1,000
DVD-audio player:   US$1,000
HT Preamp/decoder:  US$2,000
5 ch Main amp:  US$2,500
5 speakers:  US$4,000
Active Sub-woofer:  US$1,800
16:9 TV:  US$2,000

TOTAL:   US14,300 or about Php730,000
TV/Audio racK:   Php20,000

The buffer should take care of any incidentals like taxes, shipping, or bribes if needed, plus some SACD/DVD titles and cables. I arrived at the P1M budget last February based on prices at that time and I see them going down.  And hopefully the prices will still go down by end of this year.  

I still am not settled with any particular brand, though  Krell amps, Mirage speakers and Rel Storm are very attractive.   And if I can get good second hands, why not.  If you guys have a  cheaper or better alternative,  I am most open to suggestion.  Thanks.

PS. To Moderator, perhaps you may want to repost this to the right thread.  Thanks.

Offline alfred

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 12:03 PM »
OT

Pre,

Don't mind them. Basta tayo friends. Ako din during my pro-logic purchase may mga DD na. Kaya lang mga 45T + ang price. No wonder noon nag-compute ako umabot ng 300T for upgrade. Kaya tiis muna. But now the prices are more affordable. Maybe because my paycheck increased or talagang nag-lower sila ng price.

P.S.
Tirang mo lang ako ng mga P200,000 for my toshiba HDTV. Thanks ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2002 at 12:04 PM by alfred »

Offline lexmil

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 01:10 PM »
Hi Manila,

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I hope I didn't confuse anyone here regarding your preference.  What I was driving at was being an audiophile in a combined audio/video set-up where the sounds come from 5.1 channels.  I know you can switch to 2-ch from 5.1 and you're right, it's the listener's preference that will rule which way to go.

Let me just relate to you another experience I got from this 5.1 set-up.  After borrwoing a colleague's My Fair Lady DVD, I went out last week to get one myself.  That's bcause, the sound remastered on DD5.1 seems to have more spatial ambiance and better balance between the vocals and the orchestra than what I heard from the 2-ch soundtrack CD of the same title I've had for many years now.  It was refreshing, to say the least.  After hearing this, I may have little reason to go back to the CD soundtrack again.

So if this is any indication, I really look forward to owning SACD and DVD-audio titles.  And since, according to an article in this thread, I would have the choice of either 2 ch or 5.1 ch, well and good.  I can have the best of both worlds, don't you think?

Hi alfred,

Thanks for your sympathetic note.  Is P200,000 the going rate for a Toshiba  HDTV?  Then I think I'm underbudget for the 16:9 TV.  Sorry, there goes your P200,000.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 01:35 PM »
Lexmil.

No need to repost, you are discussing your plans for a new  SACD/DVD Audio player.

I suggest you buy it locally than importing. Local distributors can give you warranty. I can ask the distributor to contact you, just post or PM your contact number. I guess they are more than willing to assist you with your big budget. You can start auditioning gears now and you can post at assorted buy and sell topic the things you want to buy, there might be individuals or stores that have the brands your interested. Just my 1 cent

Offline Thames

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 01:51 PM »
hey lexmill,

i think levi is right, buying locally will save you time and money.  And of course pag dito ka bumili may warranty.
And its nice to know from PROMAC youll be having a BIG upgrade, and i guess with that budget you wont need to borrow a P500(My fair lady)  worth of dvd from your friend and wont be picky in buying pirated dvds (j/k)
BTW the 57" HDTV (widescreen) TOSHIBA is about 175k at Listening Room in Megamall

thames
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2002 at 03:57 PM by Thames »

Offline PARC

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/parc/
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 01:56 PM »

teka teka , have i seen the past 7 posters somewhere?  ??? parang ah   ::).

Hehehehehehheheh 8)

PARC

Offline lexmil

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 04:22 PM »
Thanks for your advice, Levi et al.  Those prices I have are my guides and hopefully, I can source most of them here, expecially the speakers and the TV.

Thames,  

Thanks for the price info on the HDTV.  Now I'm sure my US$2,000 for a TV is underbudget.

And that's why I will continue getting and being picky about pirated DVDs and borrowing discs I didn't know was only P500.  Over a span of 2 months since I got this Promac, my first DVD player, I now have about 100 p-discs and growing.  Imagine if I got them all from Astrovision, how can I save uo?  Maybe there'll be pirated SACDs and DVD-As soon.   (Sorry moderator, for sounding like i'm espousing pirates, just my reply)

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 04:30 PM »
To all you guys,

You're all correct, that P1M would be better off buying a lot more sensible stuff than this hobby of ours.  But guys I'm just allocating a paper budget. ...

Hi lexmil! ;D

The reaction elicited was more of amazement than anything else. Apologies are unnecessary.

There will always be better ways to spend your money, but like audio and HT, spending your money is highly subjective and quite personal.

Since you say it's a paper budget, then by all means, do the exercise necessary to fulfill this. That way when the funds become available, you've fine tuned your decision making process.

I did some recent math and so far the budget gives a lot of buffer.  Just for your info the budget breakdown is as follows:

SACD player:   US$1,000
DVD-audio player:   US$1,000
HT Preamp/decoder:  US$2,000
5 ch Main amp:  US$2,500
5 speakers:  US$4,000
Active Sub-woofer:  US$1,800
16:9 TV:  US$2,000

TOTAL:   US14,300 or about Php730,000
TV/Audio racK:   Php20,000

Seems like you've got a basic list with allocations to match. Nice work lexmil! ;D

It really piques my curiosity when people announce, as you did, spending certain amounts for something. You see, in my case, I work the other way around. I look at things I like and figure later on if I can afford it. I don't really set a budget for any expense of a major or capital nature. It's more like I fit my funds into what I can get, try to get as much value for money and do so quietly. But that's just me... that's my approach.

I still am not settled with any particular brand, though  Krell amps, Mirage speakers and Rel Storm are very attractive.   And if I can get good second hands, why not.  If you guys have a  cheaper or better alternative,  I am most open to suggestion. ...

Keep an open mind, maximize your options. You may find out that the cost-effectiveness of a miniscule percentage improvement may cost too much and even be fleeting in nature. As you've mentioned your audiophile experience in previous posts, draw on that as well as those of the members of this forum. There is quite a wealth of information available on this and similar sites, it's just a matter of asking or a little diligent reading.

Cheers lexmil! ;D Let us know when your enviable situation materializes!
Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline manila

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 06:36 PM »

If I have that much money, I'll probably won't be telling people about it.  ::) ;) And also much better buy a PC for my home instead of using the Office PC. Well with a million bucks to burn why work if you can retire and put up a business? ;D

PARC

TO PARC,
   KUNG MAY P1M ako, I WILL BUY ALL THE AUDIOPHILE CD'S THAT YOU SELL! :) :)

TO LEVI,
   SHOULD WE CHANGE THE TOPIC TO HOW TO SPEND P1M rather than DVD Audio/SACD??? Parati na tayo naiiba sa usapan ah? :)

Manila

Offline Sen.Almondski

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 10:28 PM »
Hi Manila,

I think the topic "how to spend million of peso or $ "is already existing thread somewhre else. Still off topic, Dont get intimidate by other members , just keep the good discussion of high end HT hardwares and allocating huge budget on it, its nothing unusual, unless  they will put in the board rules of limiting your budget not to reach 1 million during discussion  ;D

;) almondski
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2002 at 10:57 PM by almondski »

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 19, 2002 at 02:10 AM »
To avoid being off topic, I reposted at What is Your Next Upgrade? the million budget for HT. I think its a good discussion but its more appropriate there. I will also repost the recent postings.

Offline lexmil

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 19, 2002 at 12:45 PM »
will respond to the thread where reposted.  thanks

rtsy

« Reply #29 on: Jun 19, 2002 at 01:56 PM »
PARC,

what are the audiophile cd's you sell?
can you post or email titles and prices?
have you a store i can visit?
thanks!

PARC

TO PARC,
   KUNG MAY P1M ako, I WILL BUY ALL THE AUDIOPHILE CD'S THAT YOU SELL! :) :)

TO LEVI,
   SHOULD WE CHANGE THE TOPIC TO HOW TO SPEND P1M rather than DVD Audio/SACD??? Parati na tayo naiiba sa usapan ah? :)

Manila