Author Topic: DVD Audio/SACD  (Read 15457 times)

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:DVD Audio/SACD
« Reply #30 on: Sep 16, 2002 at 01:35 AM »
Reposting:

hello guys may question lang ako about dvd audio. kaylangan pa ba ng different hardware to play it? or pwede na yung dvd player and dvd rom? may advantage ba kung dvd audio player gamitin ko for dvd audio disc?

s0lid,
DVD audio needs a dvd audio player to get the most out of it. But some DVD audio discs also contain a DD5.1 sometimes DTS track but this is inferior.

You'll be needing a DVD-A player to be able to appreciate the difference in sound quality, iba kasi ang compression ng DVD-A as compared to a video DVD. Pero most of the time, they include a separate track for DD5.1 para ma play din sya sa ordinary DVD player. Before buying, check the disc first if it has DD5.1 track so you can play it in an ordinary DVD player.

OK din naman yung sound sa DD5.1 compared sa CD, pero sa tingin ko OK lang sya kung classical or concert yung papakinggan. I only have one DVD-A, it's too expensive kasi, sinubukan ko lang yung difference sa CD.

Offline mYKi

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Sep 17, 2002 at 08:32 AM »
Haha. Ang weird ng thread na ito ha... dapat siguro ang subject is "The Million Peso Man".

Anyway, I wish I had that much to spend coz I NEED a 52" plasma TV. :-)

As for DVD-Audio, I just upgraded my DVD player (thanks THX7.1) and I'm soooo happy with DVD-Audio.

Also, they only cost P550 now so it's just slightly more expensive than regular CDs. Even cheaper than some imprted CDs! You can play it even if you only have a regular DVD player but only using the Dolby Digital or DTS tracks. BUT, it will not sound as great as the hi-resolution DVD-A tracks.

Imagine multi-channel, but with each speaker outputting in hi-resolution.  Yum!

Aside from multichannel hi-res (96khz/24-bit), most DVD-A's have a stereo hi-res track (either 96/24 or 192/24) but I definitely prefer the 5.1 tracks.

If you see stores that sell DVD-A's please post it here. So far, malapit ng maubos yung sa Odyssey mega mall, Music One, O at Rockwell, Music One Quezon Ave. I'm looking out for Aaron Neville and Bjork. Coming out next month are DVD-As from Madonna as well as yung Reanimation of Linkin Park. Can't wait!!!  :P

Offline old_age

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • "keep off the grass especially when wet"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #32 on: Oct 01, 2002 at 08:56 AM »
Try buying Blue Man Group DVD-A entitled Audio.  It has great sound and channel separation, naka-dts pa and playable on all dvd players.  single disc with two-sides.  I bought this because of the praise received on the internet and it's true!  I ordered it thru our fellow pinoydvd member Benny, in 4 days lang andyan na.  
La Germania Single Burner
Panasonic Washing Machine
Hanabishi Floorstanding Electric Fan

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 12:01 AM »
For 1M? im getting a pair of BW 800s, baby!!! (Flagship)... or 2 pair os 802s...

Offline old_age

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 10:46 AM »
Myki

Try Image at Harizon Plaza, they have lots of DVD-A there at very reasonable prices.  I saw aaron neville there two weeks ago.  Just try your luck.

happy listening!

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 11:09 AM »
New Age,

Thanks for the tip. Would you remember how much the Aaron Neville was? Also, would you happen to know their phone number? KUng hindi, I'll just ask 114.

Thanks.

Myki

Offline old_age

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 12:33 PM »
Myki

yung prices ng DVD-A nila ranges from P550-P730 only.  Their telephone no. is 522-34-93. ;D

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 12:44 PM »
Thanks. I just called them but the girl wasn't too helpful. She told me that they didn't have DVD-Audio discs, but then I told her that someone told me that they did... so she said, ah meron, pero maraming titles so hindi ko alam yung neville eh.

So I guess I'll try going there soon.

Myki

Offline old_age

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 12:50 PM »
Myki

Image opens at 10:30 am up to 8pm including sundays.  It is just beside McDonald's.  They have plenty of AV gear there and you may look for Arman or Toto to assist you.  They also have great DVD-V titles inside their office, ask Arman or Toto for it so they can accompany you inside the office.  Ang dami talagang DVD-V all original and REgion 1.

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
News: Manufacturers push CD replacements
« Reply #39 on: Oct 14, 2002 at 10:14 AM »
Manufacturers push CD replacements

NEW YORK (AP) -- First, vinyl records were relegated to the nostalgia pile. Now, CDs may be headed for the same fate.

Over the last couple of years, manufacturers and record companies have rolled out two new musical formats -- DVD-Audio and Super Audio Compact Discs (SACDs) -- that they hope will replace the CD.

"It's really getting rolling. The number of titles is increasing rapidly," says John Trickett, chairman of the 5.1 Entertainment Group, which has produced almost 100 DVD-Audio titles. "If you compare it to the launch of the CD ... It's actually following the same pattern, but actually a lot faster."

SACDs and DVD-Audios, when coupled with the right speakers, sound superior to regular CDs. Parts of a recording that were buried in layers of music -- a drumbeat, an extra guitar, perhaps some backup vocals -- are now revealed, crystal clear.

Yet the new formats require an investment from consumers -- many of whom seem satisfied with CD sound and have not even heard of SACDs or DVD-Audios. While the new discs cost about the same as a CD, or a tad pricier -- about $19 -- you'd likely need to upgrade your entertainment system to hear their advantage.

"Most people aren't looking for a multichannel experience. They are just looking for a convenient, good-sounding, inexpensive format," says Jon Iverson of Stereophile magazine.

More data
Both DVD-Audio and SACDs can hold several times the data contained on regular CDs. They are also multichannel (surround sound), instead of the two-channel (stereo) CDs. (Some SACDs are two-channel, made to enhance stereo sound.)

Jazz great Dave Brubeck recently heard a remastered SACD version of his classic album "Time Out." The difference, he said, was startling.

"Nobody was even aware that there were limitations -- now you can really hear that before you weren't hearing anything," says Brubeck. "You can hear the individual instruments better, and in a more natural way, as if you were hearing them live."

That might sound similar to what consumers were told back when CDs came along.

But Iverson says that CDs, while more convenient and durable than vinyl, were actually found by many audiophiles to be inferior in sound.

"A good vinyl setup will get you a little better to the real performance than a compact disc set up," says Iverson, and DVD-Audio and SACDs are "certainly a better sounding format than CDs."

David Kawakami, director of the SACD project at Sony, which pioneered the format along with Philips, says, "if you talk to the man on the street, I think most people would say the CD is fine.

"But there has always been a portion of the marketplace that ... has found the CD lacking in certain respects. The things that they say we sacrificed when we transferred from vinyl to CD are things like warmth and the ability to record air around the instruments."

Kawakami calls SACD "basically a three-dimensional experience. Music has depth, width and height, and just as if you're sitting in a concert hall, you're hearing music not only coming directly at you but coming to you ... it's also ricocheting off the walls."

Bonus features
The sound of DVD-audio is comparable to that of SACDs, and the format offers bonus features similar to DVD videos. Listeners might watch videos, for example, or sing along to lyrics that flash on the TV screen.

An added bonus for record companies and retailers, who are engaged in a battle against piracy, is that the relative complexity of DVD-Audios and SACDs makes them much harder to copy. At the same time, that might turn some consumers off the format.

"Both incorporate watermarking, which means ultimately the record companies can control how you use the disc," Iverson says.

It's also unclear whether listeners will pay extra for the high-quality sound and bonus material.

The two formats began hitting the market about three years ago, aimed chiefly at audiophiles -- people willing to spend $5,000 and more for a system that could replicate that perfect sound.

Today, DVD-Audio discs play in any DVD player. But to experience the 5.1 surround sound, an entertainment system consisting of five speakers and a subwoofer is needed. Costs have come down, but a bare-bones, no-name brand will cost at least $200.

Most SACDs can only be played in SACD players. Sony offers bargain SACD players that also play DVD videos for about $300. Those players don't let listeners hear DVD-Audios' enhanced sound, because it is a competing technology. (The new players do play CDs, so listeners don't have to upgrade their entire music library.)

A format war
"The unfortunate thing is, instead of coming up with the next audio format, we ended up with two competing formats," Iverson says. "A format war of course is never really good for anyone until it's over."

Another drawback: Unlike CDs and MP3s, which you can play just about anywhere, DVD-Audio and SACDs don't have that portability. Cars, portable CD players or boomboxes don't have the technology to play them yet.

To achieve the ultimate sound experience, you have to be in the middle of the speakers.

If you are just sitting and listening, "it's pretty amazing," says JR Richards of the rock group Dishwalla, whose latest album, "Opaline," was released in DVD-Audio.

But "if you're working around the house, then it (the enhanced sound) doesn't really matter."

So far, there are about 300 albums available in DVD-Audio and about 450 in SACD -- a minuscule amount of the thousands of CDs released each year. Sony Music Group and Universal Music Group have backed the SACD format, while Warner Music Group has backed DVD-Audio.

While many of the early releases were classical or jazz, contemporary albums have been added: Faith Hill's upcoming disc will be in DVD-Audio format as well as CD, for example, and the Rolling Stones' catalog was recently rereleased on SACD (a hybrid SACD, actually, which can be played on either a CD or SACD player).

Iverson says it will take more must-have catalog releases before consumers start replacing CDs with the new formats in mass quantities.

He recalled a recent trip to the record store where he spent a half-hour explaining to the store's personnel what SACD and DVD-Audio was.

"Educating the public is a key issue here for these formats to become more successful," Iverson says, "and I don't really see people making a big effort in this regard."

But proponents say it took the CD format years to make real inroads among consumers.

Producer Frank Filipetti, who has remixed albums for the SACD format, says all it will take is a listen for the new formats to catch on.

"Once they hear the multichannel version," he says, "they can't get over it."

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:News: Manufacturers push CD replacements
« Reply #40 on: Oct 14, 2002 at 01:33 PM »
yeah... i myself am just waiting for sacd/ dvd-audio player to come down to around 200 usd levels..

not to mention sacd/ dvd-audios that you acctually wanna listen to.

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 339
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2003 at 10:37 PM »
To anyone out there,

Do you know where I can buy SACDs here in the Philippines and how much they cost?  I've tried most of the popular stores (Astroplus, Podium) but they only sell DVD-As.  Just want to try it out.  I use a Sony DAV-S550.

Thanks.
We deserve better.

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Mar 03, 2003 at 11:13 PM »
Octo1,

I saw lots of SACD's at Ceratec, level 5, Bldg A, SM Megamall.

Try Upscale Audio as well, same level, Bldg. B

myki

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 339
« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2003 at 08:11 AM »
Myki,

Many thanks for the info!  Will do.

Octo1
We deserve better.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Mar 05, 2003 at 04:37 PM »
Got two more DVD-A's -- Fourplay and Linda Ronstadt  :) :)

This was at Astroplus at Podium. Saw Linkin Park there, for those looking for it (I think someone mentioned looking for this earlier).

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 01:57 PM »
not sure if this has been discussed, but i came across an article that sony is making their new hybrid sacd playable in any cd player, thus making it backward compatible. :)

bestbuy.com has the THE POLICE: Every Breath You Take: The Classics HYBRID SACD on sale for only $12 w/ free shipping in the US. :)
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 08:34 PM »
bently, actually, matagal ng hybrid ang maraming SACDs... :-)

but the new news is that DVD-A are starting to make hybrid ones that allow a person to play a DVD-A either in a DVD-A player, regular DVD, or a CD.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Mar 16, 2003 at 09:33 PM »
bently, actually, matagal ng hybrid ang maraming SACDs... :-)

but the new news is that DVD-A are starting to make hybrid ones that allow a person to play a DVD-A either in a DVD-A player, regular DVD, or a CD.

anyone know why tower/music 1 pulled out their DVD-A
discs? are they due to release the hybrids soon?

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Mar 17, 2003 at 12:12 AM »
tuff_u_gong,

i have no idea why but they have lots of DVD-A's at AstroPlus in Podium.

That's where I got my Faith Hill DVD-A which I was trying to order at both Odyssey and Music 1 mega mall.

Check them out when you're in the area. P550 rin lahat.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Mar 17, 2003 at 03:32 PM »
thanks myki!

can you refer me to a website that has a directory
of available SACDs and DVD-Audio titles?

thanks!

rtsy

Re:News: Manufacturers push CD replacements
« Reply #50 on: Mar 18, 2003 at 09:46 AM »
yeah... i myself am just waiting for sacd/ dvd-audio player to come down to around 200 usd levels..

not to mention sacd/ dvd-audios that you acctually wanna listen to.

Even when SACD players are at US$200, how about hte software?  I have yet to see a single disc below PhP1k.   :'(

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Mar 18, 2003 at 01:01 PM »
Locally available DVD-A's are all from Warner Music Group and most are manufactured in Germany.

Check out www.dvdaudiopreview.com which contains all of the Warner titles.

I recommend:

Alanis Morissette
Under Rug Swept

Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Riding with the King

Miles Davis
Tutu

Eagles
Hotel California

Donald Fagen
The Nightfly

Fleetwood Mac
Rumours

Faith Hill
Cry

Linkin Park
Reanimation

Natalie Merchant
Tigerlily

Offline Eulogy

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Mar 19, 2003 at 02:12 AM »
I have a cd player that is almost 8 years old. Will Sony DVP-NS705V  do a good job replacing it?

Does someone know if its any good?

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Mar 21, 2003 at 10:24 AM »
is there a PC soundcard that decodes SACD already?

thanks!

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Mar 26, 2003 at 11:25 PM »
Locally available DVD-A's are all from Warner Music Group and most are manufactured in Germany.

Check out www.dvdaudiopreview.com which contains all of the Warner titles.

I recommend:

Alanis Morissette
Under Rug Swept

Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Riding with the King

Miles Davis
Tutu

Eagles
Hotel California

Donald Fagen
The Nightfly

Fleetwood Mac
Rumours

Faith Hill
Cry

Linkin Park
Reanimation

Natalie Merchant
Tigerlily

where can i get these?

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Mar 27, 2003 at 06:41 AM »
bunkieboy,

Most complete place to find these are at Odyssey megamall and at Astroplus Podium.

Music one used to have DVD-As but I don't see anymore.

I recently purchased:

Linda Ronstadt and Pat Metheny Group.

Both are recommended as well.  :-)

Myki

Offline audioslave

• Collector
  • used to be audioslave but now a fotoslave
  • Liked:
Re: DVD Audio/SACD
« Reply #56 on: Nov 12, 2004 at 01:11 PM »
can anyone post here the stores selling SACDs?

Tower Records
Montage

please add if you know of any other stores

thanks

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 12, 2004 at 01:18 PM »
Tower Records
Montage
Astroplus, Podium
Astroplus, Megamall
Megamixx (?) - Store beside Astroplus, Megamall
Fully Booked, Rockwell

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 12, 2004 at 01:37 PM »
Check this:

AstroPlus Podium - SACDs, XRCDs, few DVD-Audio
Montage Greenbelt 4 – tons of SACDs, DVD-Audio
The O Powerplant – SACDs, DVD-Audio
Tower Records Glorietta – Chesky’s SACDs, Sony/Columbia/Epic SACDs
Megamixx Megamall – DVD-Audio, SACD
Fully Booked Powerplant – SACD, DVD-Audio
Odyssey XL Megamall – DVD-Audio, few Chesky's SACD
Astroplus Megamall – SACD, XRCD
Music One – few DVD-Audio, Chesky's SACD

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Nov 12, 2004 at 03:54 PM »

Megamixx (?) - Store beside Astroplus, Megamall

Megamixx (?) They sell very expensive! WHY? better go to Astroplus same item for less!!![/font][/color]
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2004 at 03:56 PM by odyopayl »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)